Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,684
    From that angle, the steering wheel and instrument cluster of that Imperial definitely make me think of one of those acid-induced live action kids shows they used to subject us to back in the '70s...something leaning towards amphibian.

Maybe those old horizontal strip speedometers weren't so bad, after all :p
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090

A FB friend of mine posted this pic of Nixon riding up Main St. in Greenville, PA in 1959 in a '59 Buick convertible.

Is that Eisenhower sitting next to him? If so, a far bigger historic figure than Nixon.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    Instead of relying on a bunch of warning “idiot” lights Chrysler provided gauges for the important engine and electrical functions. Cadillac only provided fuel, temp, the remainder were warning lights.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I always looked at the move to idiot lights as cheapening out, but I've heard there was another rationale for it. Apparently, the auto makers figured out that the average driver didn't really pay much attention to a gauge needle, but when an idiot light suddenly came on and glowed bright red, they noticed it.

And, there may be some truth to it. Now that I think about it, when the water pump failed on my 2003 Regal out on the highway and it started running hot, it was the idiot light that caught my attention, not the spiking temp gauge. Although, to be honest, I knew there was trouble brewing before it failed. Fully warmed up, the gauge would usually stay right in the middle, but then I noticed that every once in awhile, usually stopped in heavy traffic, it would start rising a bit higher than normal, but then settle down once I started moving.

I've also heard that some of those old gauges, back in the day, weren't always very accurate. Still, I prefer full gauges. I guess a combination of gauges and idiot lights is actually the best.

I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but eventually Chrysler did yield, and dropped a gauge or two. At least, I seem to recall my '67 Newport only had the fuel gauge and volts. No oil pressure and no temp gauge. But it did have a "cold" light and a "hot" light. I think Chevy tried the "cold" and "hot" thing a couple years, as well.

At some point though, Chrysler did go back to full gauges, in some cars at least. I think the '74-78 big cars had a full complement. So did the '79-81 R-body.
    edited July 2022
    Several Olds that my parents had along with dad’s 65 and 66 Ford company cars had Cold lights. Green color in the Olds, Blue in the Ford. I remember as a boy watching the Cold light in mom’s 63 Olds turn off as the car warmed up. It would flicker twice then turn off. For some reason that amused and intrigued me. This is very similar to mom’s Dynamic 88, same color except hers also had a white top, same wheel covers, identical cloth interior. It also has factory ac.

https://buffalocars.com/realridesofwny-1432-052518

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    andre1969 said:

I always looked at the move to idiot lights as cheapening out, but I've heard there was another rationale for it. Apparently, the auto makers figured out that the average driver didn't really pay much attention to a gauge needle, but when an idiot light suddenly came on and glowed bright red, they noticed it.

And, there may be some truth to it. Now that I think about it, when the water pump failed on my 2003 Regal out on the highway and it started running hot, it was the idiot light that caught my attention, not the spiking temp gauge. Although, to be honest, I knew there was trouble brewing before it failed. Fully warmed up, the gauge would usually stay right in the middle, but then I noticed that every once in awhile, usually stopped in heavy traffic, it would start rising a bit higher than normal, but then settle down once I started moving.

I've also heard that some of those old gauges, back in the day, weren't always very accurate. Still, I prefer full gauges. I guess a combination of gauges and idiot lights is actually the best.

I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but eventually Chrysler did yield, and dropped a gauge or two. At least, I seem to recall my '67 Newport only had the fuel gauge and volts. No oil pressure and no temp gauge. But it did have a "cold" light and a "hot" light. I think Chevy tried the "cold" and "hot" thing a couple years, as well.

At some point though, Chrysler did go back to full gauges, in some cars at least. I think the '74-78 big cars had a full complement. So did the '79-81 R-body.

Sadly, today most all gauges are nothing more than glorified idiot lights; they are buffered so that the needle only moves at the extremes.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Sadly, today most all gauges are nothing more than glorified idiot lights; they are buffered so that the needle only moves at the extremes.

I've wondered about that. One thing I noticed, with older cars, is that that amp/volt/whatever you wanna call it gauge tended to move around a lot more, and would "dance" back and forth when you had the turn signal on. It's really noticeable on my DeSoto, but was also noticeable, just less so, on the '68 and '69 Darts I had. I had figured the move from a generator to an alternator might have eliminated some of that extra motion.

But then, on my '79 New Yorker, the amp gauge barely moves. Sometimes, if I have the lights on and the heater blower motor going full blast, and I'm stopped at a traffic light, it might drop slightly towards the discharge side of the scale. But usually it's right in the middle, or slightly towards "charge." But, that needle doesn't dance around when the turn signal is on.

My '67 Catalina has an aftermarket oil gauge, and that needle jumps all over the range. But I've never seen a factory gauge do that. I wonder if they buffer the gauges, because all that range of motion that they would be doing, otherwise, might distract the driver? Or make them think something's wrong.

One thing I just thought of though...for whatever reason I can't remember how the Catalina's amp gauge acts. I'm guessing it stays fairly constant, because if it moved around a lot I'd probably notice it. I thought it was curious too, that as Pontiac started taking away gauges, for some reason, they held onto the amp gauge, at least in '67. Oil and Temp are idiot lights. Seems to me that a temp or oil pressure gauge would be more important than the amps.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    I think I recall the "cold" lights in the 66 and 60 Fords my family had in the 90s, not sure if the 68 had one. I remember the 66, which was cold-blooded and finicky when cold (maybe needed a new carb) would sputter and stall from a stop until fully warmed up. It also would occasionally stall when cold in a slow speed turn - that was fun. They don't make em like they used to, but at least it had style for days.

Fintail has a gauge for oil pressure, but a light for charging. Original owner installed a Stewart Warner ammeter to monitor that data - being a generator car, maybe that was a concern. I recall the last time the generator wore out (they seem to have a 10-15 year lifespan), the light worked when the car stopped charging. Oil pressure gauge has 15/30/45 markings, always pegged when cold, at hot idle it is between 30-45, which is apparently healthy.
    sda said:

Several Olds that my parents had along with dad’s 65 and 66 Ford company cars had Cold lights. Green color in the Olds, Blue in the Ford. I remember as a boy watching the Cold light in mom’s 63 Olds turn off as the car warmed up. It would flicker twice then turn off. For some reason that amused and intrigued me. This is very similar to mom’s Dynamic 88, same color except hers also had a white top, same wheel covers, identical cloth interior. It also has factory ac.

https://buffalocars.com/realridesofwny-1432-052518

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,094
    I remember a green (I think) 'COLD' light in my grandparents' '63 Bel Air wagon. I remember seeing the light in '64 full-size Chevys as well (nearly identical instrument panel as '63). What was the purpose? Was it to tell you to drive more gingerly 'til the car warmed up?
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS

A FB friend of mine posted this pic of Nixon riding up Main St. in Greenville, PA in 1959 in a '59 Buick convertible.

Is that Eisenhower sitting next to him? If so, a far bigger historic figure than Nixon.

No, Eisenhower was never in Greenville. My bet is that it is a Pennsylvania or Mercer County Republican dignitary of some sort. I'll have to ask on the town's FB page if anyone knows who that is.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS

I remember a green (I think) 'COLD' light in my grandparents' '63 Bel Air wagon. I remember seeing the light in '64 full-size Chevys as well (nearly identical instrument panel as '63). What was the purpose? Was it to tell you to drive more gingerly 'til the car warmed up?

Yep, that was it. Basically, to let you know the car was warming up, and not in its optimal operating temperature range. I just googled "cold light in car" and a good number of hits came up. Apparently, some auto makers are doing away with temperature gauges again, and going with a "cold light" the glows blue until the engine is warmed up.

On my old '67 Newport, I seem to recall the light was a really washed-out blue, that looked almost white.
    BMW M models(and now possibly some other cars) have a tach that displays a low redline initially; it gradually increases as the motor warms up.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

fin, you like '60 Fords, and this car is in Washington--I find '60 Edsels largely fascinating!

https://barnfinds.com/end-of-the-line-1960-edsel-ranger/?fbclid=IwAR3bxUwL2J8fm7XjYeU6WJ7ls2JlV8PMhkJfzLTs8O26Jdga4_5i6JaRBnY
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    Beautiful example for 1960.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I was watching Mannix S7, E9 and he drives up in a dark metallic green Fury II. What I find odd is it appears to have a blue interior. He opens the driver’s door and it shows a white door jamb and blue interior. Ah ha! After a Ford F series truck gives a questionable chase the Fury is wrecked.

edited July 2022

fin, you like '60 Fords, and this car is in Washington--I find '60 Edsels largely fascinating!

https://barnfinds.com/end-of-the-line-1960-edsel-ranger/?fbclid=IwAR3bxUwL2J8fm7XjYeU6WJ7ls2JlV8PMhkJfzLTs8O26Jdga4_5i6JaRBnY

Neat car, if one isn't going to have a 60 Edsel wagon, a hardtop might be the next best/rarest thing if one doesn't want a convertible. Not bad looking cars really, especially for that era. Seller seems a bit optimistic though, looks like the kind of car you could "invest" 50K in to have a 25K car if you're lucky.
    On the road : very clean dark blue 65-66 Sedan DeVille, a couple 70s style Model T/A hot rods, pristine 70s Ford pickup, 65 Impala.
    edited July 2022
    sda said:

I was watching Mannix S7, E9 and he drives up in a dark metallic green Fury II. What I find odd is it appears to have a blue interior. He opens the driver’s door and it shows a white door jamb and blue interior. Ah ha! After a Ford F series truck gives a questionable chase the Fury is wrecked.

I noticed over the years that lots of TV series of that era must have put quickie paint jobs on what I assume were studio owned “background extra” cars. If you faithfully watched a series like you might if you have it on DVD or on a streaming service you will often see the same cars in different colors and if you look closely you can see the paint is often uneven and dull. Interior colors of course stayed the same. Mismatched door jamb colors were commonplace.

edited July 2022
    Anyone who buys NOS parts would no doubt agree I think, but I always love when I buy something NOS and it comes in the original box:

Anyone who buys NOS parts would no doubt agree I think, but I always love when I buy something NOS and it comes in the original box:

What did you buy or what parts are in those boxes?

sda said:

What did you buy or what parts are in those boxes?

I'll hazard a guess and speculate that it's something that there has not been huge demand for over the last almost 60 years... :D

edited July 2022
    I'm thinking those are brake shoes that came from the previous owner when I bought the car in 2017, but I've bought many things since my first Stude purchase in 1988 that came in the original boxes. I had no idea when I got into the hobby, but for '60's Studes there has been a lot of N.O.S. Cheap, too. That is quite fortunate. I bought one interior door panel for my '63 that came in a very large, almost flat box with that same logo on them. A friend asked me if he could have it for his garage wall (he's a bachelor). I gave it to him, it was just so big.

I love sixties Studebakers, but they had a habit of keeping employees working and avoiding strikes when it would've been in their best interest, not to. They kept producing parts when sales of cars were bottoming out. A manufacturing manager there was quoted in our club magazine over 30 years ago, that he was walking along the final production line in the fall of '63, looking at paperwork taped to windshields of cars on the line and said, "I noticed about 60% of them had no dealer destination noted; built for factory stock. I knew then we were out-of-business but just couldn't admit it".
    Incidentally, I always liked the '63-66 logo and font of the 'Studebaker' name. It was modern, particularly for such an old-line company (founded in South Bend in 1852).

Incidentally, I always liked the '63-66 logo and font of the 'Studebaker' name. It was modern, particularly for such an old-line company (founded in South Bend in 1852).

Yes, it looked very contemporary.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793

At least the M-B doesn't have the two big curvy pods in the instrument panel pad above the instruments. For some reason I don't like that.

That's because it looks like some sort of crazed duck just about to take your life. Freakish. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited July 2022
    Here's some tv deja vu. The other night I was watching an old "Columbo" episode, titled "The Greenhouse Jungle". In it, there's a scene where Ray Milland and Bradford Dillman push a Jag XK-E down an embankment.
    My guess is, back in the early 70's, nobody noticed that the Jag that ends up at the bottom of the ravine is a different one from what was getting pushed.
    People didn't watch tv in endless reruns back then, and certainly didn't have the capability to pause, rewind, etc.

Well, yesterday I was watching a Barnaby Jones episode, and damn if the same Jag didn't go over the same embankment! And, ironically enough, Bradford Dillman pushed it over the edge, once again! Just this time, without Ray Milland.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    I just looked in getting antique plates for the Mustang when we move to Ohio, but it's a no go.
    Car is old enough but you can't use it for regular transportation, only display, parades, other special events or service appointments.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

I just looked in getting antique plates for the Mustang when we move to Ohio, but it's a no go.
    Car is old enough but you can't use it for regular transportation, only display, parades, other special events or service appointments.

I think that's a fairly universal truth for the historical plates in all states. I have them on my van, and I felt like I was in the army again with all the scrutiny they gave me over getting them. I guess they couldn't fathom that someone would have a 1969 Econoline in running condition and NOT use it to snatch young children from playgrounds.

Who knew?! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I've had historical plates in OH on all four of my Studebakers since the first one I bought in 1988. Ohio allows you to use year-of-manufacture old Ohio plates, which I think is cool. You never have to renew them.

While I didn't drive my cars regularly to work or anything, I never have had a single issue about it. If you're stopped, just say you're heading to/from a show or to have work done on the car.

BTW, I was just in CT last week, swapping cars with my daughter in New Haven. Yeesh, I'm not accustomed to the traffic. I come in at Danbury then go south to avoid the absolute nightmare that is I-95. A fun thing is that I stopped in Bethel, NY to see Woodstock for the first time. I spent about an hour walking around, found the Yasgur house and farm when nobody around seemed to know what I was talking about, and of course bought a couple cheesy tie-dye shirts. But it was a fun diversion.
    I used to drive my antique cars to work on days when the weather was nice. And when I lived closer to work. But, I heard Maryland has been cracking down on that. Part of the problem, I think, is too many people are abusing antique tags.

It used to be that a vehicle had to be 25 years old or more to qualify for antique tags. But, at some point in the mid 2000s they changed it to 20. In 2005, a 25 year old car would have been a 1980, but suddenly a 1985 model could qualify. And, today, anything from 2002 would qualify. There are just too many people buying old clunkers and putting historic tags on them, to get out of inspecting them, and also to get out of the emissions tests.

I think Maryland got to the point that you can still get antique tags for a 20 year old car, but then they tried to pass a bill where if it was less than 40 years old, it had to be emissions tested. I believe that bill died on the vine, though.

I did get busted, once, back around 2009-10. I was driving my '79 5th Ave. I bought the car in West Va, which does not require a front plate, so there was no bracket to mount one. One pleasant summer day, I drove to work, but on my lunch break, I went out a different route because of some road construction. I got stopped at a traffic light, as the lead car. Directly opposite from me, was a police car waiting to make a U-turn. I guess that cop had enough time to sit there and pay attention to my car, because when I passed, he made his turn, got in behind me and noticed the rear tag was Maryland, and immediately pulled me over.

He just gave me a warning, for driving without a front tag, and I explained to him about the car coming from out of state, so I just kept the front plate in the trunk. Then, he asked me where I was coming from. I think I tried to give a description or name of the street I had turned from, but then he said no...are you coming from school, work, etc? Well, boy howdy, I fell right into that one! Without thinking I answered "work."

And then I got the lecture about how you're not supposed to drive like that with historic tags. I apologized and said that normally I don't, but that it was such a nice day and the car hadn't been run in awhile. He was nice about it, and basically said don't do it again.
    edited July 2022
    Coming from work, after picking it up that morning from a buddy who had adjusted the brakes. LOL

Or, giving it a shakedown run, and might as well accomplish multiple things at once.
    I don't consider my Club Sport or Wrangler to be antiques(although the Club Sport is insured through Hagerty); I try to drive them at least once a week- usually to work.

I don't consider my Club Sport or Wrangler to be antiques(although the Club Sport is insured through Hagerty); I try to drive them at least once a week- usually to work.

How far is your commute? Currently mine averages about 50 mi/day.

sda said:

How far is your commute? Currently mine averages about 50 mi/day.
    25 miles round trip.

Today in traffic, a fairly unusual car despite it being a Chevy - a 1972 Malibu 4-door hardtop (sport sedan in Chevyspeak). No engine designation visible so I assume it had a 307. Likely repainted fairly recently as it was in a bright yellowish gold metallic (Placer Gold maybe) with a white vinyl interior. Not much catalog stuff visible except for some chrome exhaust tips on the added dual exhaust; still had factory wheels and covers. It came up behind me and I was struck by how narrow the track appeared to be. But overall a nice original-looking car.

In the 70s, an early E-type was just a finicky used car, too, I bet a few were destroyed here and there. Early ones especially are decent money now. Bentley S2 Continental in the background is also a nice 6 figures in decent shape.
    andre1969 said:

Here's some tv deja vu. The other night I was watching an old "Columbo" episode, titled "The Greenhouse Jungle". In it, there's a scene where Ray Milland and Bradford Dillman push a Jag XK-E down an embankment.
    My guess is, back in the early 70's, nobody noticed that the Jag that ends up at the bottom of the ravine is a different one from what was getting pushed.
    People didn't watch tv in endless reruns back then, and certainly didn't have the capability to pause, rewind, etc.

Well, yesterday I was watching a Barnaby Jones episode, and damn if the same Jag didn't go over the same embankment! And, ironically enough, Bradford Dillman pushed it over the edge, once again! Just this time, without Ray Milland.

edited July 2022
    ab, the Sport Sedans were unusual in '71-72.

I can remember the first new '72 Chevelle I saw out back at our hometown dealer's, before introduction date. I know the strike supposedly pushed the new midsizes back to '73, but I couldn't believe the only styling difference from '71, in or out, besides exterior colors, was the new grille, which looked like somebody spent ten minutes coming up with it. Odd for a mid-size or bigger Chevy to not have a center bowtie emblem there, and it didn't.

That was the first time I remember a car as significant to Chevy's image as a mid-size or full-size, that had almost zero styling change from the previous year. But those '71's did sell well.

In exterior colors, interior seat trim, availability of five-slot Rally Wheels, and four headlights, I like the '70 the best of that '70-72 iteration. I did, however, like the round taillights, full wheelcover styling, and wheel opening moldings that the '71 and '72 had. The only '70 Chevelle with wheel opening trim was the SS.
    I never liked the '71/'72 Chevelle front end design. The single headlights killed it for me and I always thought the '70 design looked much better. The rear lights were an improvement from the mean-looking ones used on the '70 though.

Are you sure about the wheel opening moldings? Just from a search for "'70 Chevelle" I get a lot of pics returned of non-SS Chevelles with those moldings present.

For me, I think that era of Chevelle hit its styling peak in 1969, although the '68 comes in as a close second for me. I like the forward swoop of the front end, and the separation of taillight and bumper out back. Sometimes those big bumpers that incorporate the taillights just look too bulky to me. In general, the '68-69 just seems a bit more sporty to me.

For '70, which is the one I think most people like the best, it seems to me like the car is trying to "grow up" and become more formal, but hasn't quite shaken off its sporty pretenses. Then in '71-72, I thought the move to the single headlights seemed like a step down, although I liked the round taillights in the rear bumper.

But, my only real beef with the whole '68-72 design, in general, is that they're a victim of their own popularity, and I'd just prefer something that's a bit more offbeat. Although that's precisely what probably would attract me to a 4-door hardtop! Or the B-O-P versions.

Now that I think about it, I'll see the occasional '68-72 Tempest/LeMans, and the Cutlass has definitely held its own. But it's been awhile since I've seen a Special/Skylark from that era.
    xwesx said:

Coming from work, after picking it up that morning from a buddy who had adjusted the brakes. LOL

Or, giving it a shakedown run, and might as well accomplish multiple things at once.

Oh, I thought of a million responses, after the fact. I'm just not good at coming up with them on the spot! I also had my work badge hanging from a lanyard around my neck, which was probably a tipoff. After that incident, whenever I drove one of the antiques to work, I made sure to keep my badge under the front seat, until I needed it to get on site.

Are you sure about the wheel opening moldings? Just from a search for "'70 Chevelle" I get a lot of pics returned of non-SS Chevelles with those moldings present.

Of that I'm sure. A good number of cars have had them added at some point. This I know from being a PITA and about living at the local Chevy dealer from 1970-on, seeing probably 50 or more of those cars as new, drinking in the brochure like a sponge, and seeing them as used cars from then through decades later.

Through 1970, it was before the era of a la carte optional moldings on midsize and full-size Chevys. In fact, the only optional moldings on any Chevelle or full-size in 1970 were the bright-metal side window-frame moldings, on four-door sedan Chevelles and also on Biscaynes and Bel Airs (standard on Impalas).
    I looked at the various ‘70 Chevelle brochures online and you are correct in that none of them mention the mouldings as a separate option, but all of them mention an “Appearance Protection Group” as an option, though none of them specify what it includes. I wondered if they came that way.

No pictures of anything but a '70 SS with the wheel opening trim in the brochures, either. Usually, the "Appearance Protection Group" was bumper guards, door edge guards, and floor mats. Amazingly to me, you couldn't even get a body side molding at all on a Chevelle until 1972 (although they looked better without them, like most cars IMHO).

For later '70's Chevys, online from GM I remember copies of production manuals that showed not only capacities and dimensions, but standard equipment and options. Now I'm curious to look if there's anything like that online all the way back to '70.
    edited July 2022
    RE.: '68 and '69 Chevelles--my sister and her husband had a red-on-red '69 Malibu Sport Coupe 307. It was pretty beat-up. First time I sat in the back of one and I was pretty stunned how little legroom there was, even for my 26 1/2 inch legs. We still had our '67 Chevelle at the time, admittedly a four-door, and it just seemed a lot roomier.

The '68 midsizes went to long-hood/short-deck which does look nice, but I can actually remember looking at new '68's at introduction day with my Dad and saying "Dad, these are smaller than ours". Even though the sedan wheelbase was an inch longer in '68 than the '67, the car still seemed smaller.

I like the '67 mid-size coupes across the divisions, although not enough to own one, LOL.

In Chevelles, I like the '68's smaller taillights, full wheel covers, and lack of silver paint along the 1/3 of the bottom of the sides, like all '69 Malibus had. On the '68 I didn't care much for the big, bolt-upright "Malibu" script on the front fenders, and wasn't crazy about the square instrument bezels. But the other things make me like them overall better than a '69.

My favorite would be the '68 Concours Sport Coupe which we discussed before, which isn't even in a brochure but was the result of an upholstery plant strike at a plant that made Chevelle interiors. Depending on assembly plant, they had Skylark Custom or Cutlass Supreme seating and door panels, and extra trim outside. I've seen exactly one in person my entire 64 years. I've seen some online but like most Chevelles of that era, they've been all hammed up.
    Found this. This is handy stuff if one is looking for originality in their car:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Chevelle/1970-Chevrolet-Chevelle.pdf

Page 7 shows the wheel opening moldings only available on the SS, and page 18 shows the Appearance Guard Group including door edge guards, front and rear floor mats, front and rear bumper guards, and visor vanity mirror.
    edited July 2022
    That came in handy for sure. It sounds like the production planning people asked marketing "Can you help us get rid of the excess of these optional items?" and their answer was that option package.

I think seeing them on so many of that model of Chevelle this days is explained by this:

https://chevelle.com/exterior/wheel-opening-molding/

edited July 2022
    Went to the garage to look and see what precisely was in that Studebaker box I posted several posts up here. They were the Timberline Turquoise taillight/flow-thru ventilation bezels that were original to my car. That part no. on the label on the side of the box, shown below, is the chromed version (only installed by Studebaker from 1/1/66 to the last day, 3/17/66), which the previous owner put on. I prefer the painted, but mine could use, well....paint!

So when ab348 opined that that particular box probably contained something of low demand in the past nearly-60 years, he was spot on. :)

• mrwhipple311mrwhipple311 Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2022

That is a law much like seat belt laws are. Only an issue if you are doing something else that makes you a target.
    I'm in Ohio and see a lot of antique plates on the road and just got them for my Z3. I think as long as you are not using the Mustang as a daily (which you aren't) you should be good.

YMMV
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Rare sighting, yesterday.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    Datsun 510.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert