Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• jljacjljac Posts: 649
    Must've been a 1967-71 T-Bird if it had the suicide doors The early ones had self-locking doors that would lock when the car moved including when they were towed through a car wash. The car would exit the car wash with the motor running and the keys locked inside. I believe they were modified to lock at a higher speed. Not bad for a four door car, but I don't believe that a Thunderbird should have four doors.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,887
    A W123 is like an old truck - workhorse. When they are still doing commercial duty in harsh locations almost 30 years after the end of production, you know something is strong about them.

Not much odd today, but saw a 2CV, Ferrari 412, 80s Sierra wagon, and a MB SLC doing a bit of a power slide in the rain in downtown Cologne.
  • The W123s have tremendous build quality, but all the accessories or sub-systems on them seem to fail often. This is one reason why the "strippers" are the best---less to go wrong. You simply won't find a W123 for sale in the USA without something wrong with it. But then, hey, these are old cars! Most cars their age are long dead.
  • magnettemagnette London UKPosts: 1,884
    Enjoy the trip Fintail !
  • magnettemagnette London UKPosts: 1,884
    If anyone out there is within reach of London - Brighton, tomorrow is the annual veteran car run - an early start for me as I'll be on Westminster Bridge to watch them rattling south from about 7:10am..

About 500 cars entered, and great to watch - providing the rain holds off...
    That's right, and Wayne mentioned that too on his show. The car he found was an absolute stripper - roll up windows, no passenger mirror, probably didn't have AC. When the fancy stuff fails, it gives people an excuse to neglect the rest of car. No doubt the low models have good survival rates.

Speaking of low models, I have been peeking in E-class taxis. About 80% of them are manual, including 2012 models. Saw another W124 still doing taxi duty today, and a few oft-derided W210s.
    London-Brighton is on my bucket list. I'd love to participate in something like a Mercedes Simplex, too - but a little dear for me.

Odd cars today: Nice W123 coupe, very early Espace, 924, 70s Beetle, 90s Explorer,

And something parked on this street is unlike the others:

• We will expect your dispatch in due course, with its usual thoroughness of course. Carry on!
  • berriberri Posts: 4,000
    Are Lemko and Andre in town!
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,423
    Saw a nice-looking 190SL drive by yesterday - most interesting car I've seen on the road around here for months. Dallas is not a good area for car spotting...
  • omarmanomarman Posts: 674
    Wow 500 cars entered! I didn't realize that many started. A neighbor who lived across the road from me in the 70s was invited to the 1959 event with his 1899 Locomobile steamer. He and his wife called their car Tillie the teapot. :D I found a youtube video which shows their car (#34) around 0:12 at the start of the run. You can just barely make out the Ohio historical license plate.

Hope there aren't many DNFs with that many vehicles running this year. I remember that the Weiant's Locomobile did finish back in 1959 but it took a bit over 6 hours. :shades: How many people are expected to turn out to see the event? Should be fun to watch rain or shine. Have a good time.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    Why yes, a MAXI Buick.
    Big fish in a small pond :shades:

Today saw a Corrado, a 2002 Baur cabrio, a 70s Citroen DS, and have seen several MB C124s thhe past few days.
  • I saw a car last week I bet you've NEVER seen, at least not in the USA--- a Baur 320i. :shades:
    Depends on what size. I did have a couple toy E30 Baurs when I was a kid :shades:

• This was a Baur 320i with a 325 engine and 5 speed. Nice car!

I find this configuration a bit odd, but that's just me I guess. Maybe I'm just having Triumph Stag horror flashbacks.... :P
    edited November 2012
    So an E23? 80s grey market import?

The partial convertible design is odd. Maybe gives more structural rigidity.
  • grey market, yes.

sure, if you chop the roof off a car, you are essentially cutting the top off a hollow pyramid.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,379
    edited November 2012
    The partial convertible design is odd. Maybe gives more structural rigidity.

Not to mention better roll-over protection. In the early 70s lots of people thought that more stringent safety regs would doom the traditional ragtop convertible. The '76 Eldorado was assumed to be the last ever made by the Big Three so a lot of basket hoop and T-Top "convertibles" came out.

Thankfully they were merely interim stop gaps
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 732
    I have actually seen one in my office park. I about went through my window trying to see where it turned in so I could chace it down.

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim