Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    Nice looking car in its day, but mechanicals lagged behind the styling, and not so good.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    Beautiful car in its day. Ah, if only the Audi 5000 had Honda Accord reliability, and more reasonably priced parts and components. If only...my grandmother had a moustache she would have be my grandfather.
  • :P

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,605
    spotted, of all places, parked on the street in NW DC. I was bike riding with a friend, noticed it out of the corner of my eye, and went over to look at it. Hollered at my friend who was ahead of me that I saw a car I wanted to check out.

It was a deep, deep blue, and looked showroom new. So obviously, it doesn't live on the street! My friend, who knows absolutely nothing about cars, was impressed by it, and could tell that it was something special. I guess that's one true test that a car has held up over the years, when even someone who's not into cars is impressed by it.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I love those. I would have been stunned to see one parked in DC. It's not like they aren't pretty valuble.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,372
    I absolutely love those cars. Long hood, short deck, understated styling, no skirts, minimal trim...just gorgeous.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,403
    It's not like they aren't pretty valuble.

Asking prices are around $40K in Hemmings.

I'll bet you see lots of $40K cars parked in DC.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I'll bet you see lots of $40K cars parked in DC.

I'm sure you see many 100K cars too, but a valuable classic on the streets of DC is a rare sight I'm sure.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Yeah, normally the "classics" you see on the streets of DC are more akin to this!
  • love that satin finish---it's very modern :)
    I first saw those two cars on a DC street back in the fall of 1997. I remember the Newport especially vividly, because at the time, I was driving a '79 Newport.

Every once in awhile I'd go down that street, and those two cars would always be there. Not always in that same spot, but always in view of the intersection. So, I thought it was amusing that they were still showing up on Google Maps, almost 12 years after I first noticed them.

Alas, I went down that street just a few weeks ago, and didn't notice either one there. I'm kinda curious if they're still around, though. And, I'm surprised that, for being parked on the street all the time, they don't seem to have aged any. They were kinda ratty looking back in 1997.

Maybe I should leave a note on the Newport sometime, see if they'd want to sell it. I could always use it as a parts car for either of my New Yorkers.
  • They are probably being beaten into teapots in a small factory in Turkey as we speak. :P
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'll bet you see lots of $40K cars parked in DC

And that's in the middle class neighborhoods.

New Forester parks across the street, I go check it out, turns out that's the home owner's personal assistant's car. :D

I can only afford it due to lucky timing, bought the house in '99 right before the spike in prices.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,943
    Saw a DeLorean this morning - has to be the same one I see every few days, there can only be so many running around. Also a ratty 1985 Camry and a ~1970 Vette.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,017
    Driving today I saw a late 60's Ford F-150 in pristine shape. Usually an old pick up is pretty beat up.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 892
    Behind what I'm guessing was a 1939 Ford sedan yesterday, nice and straight, no smoke, clear bright tailights, probably it's last run of the year, we got snow today.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,943
    Saw a green 60s era Karmann Ghia out in the constant rain today, looked to be in mint condition (rain can do that), obviously restored - hope it was rustproofed.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Talk about rare, this is a unicorn here in America.

1996 or so model of this European minivan. I bet a diplomat from the Spanish Embassy owns it.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,403
    There are lots of nice old cars running around Tucson AZ, preserved by the dry desert air, but it seems like just about every Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 (not to be confused withe the current FJ Cruiser) has ended up there. Today on a drive thru the city I saw a white hardtop and a white over mustard yellow h/t, both were in very good shape.

What neat old 4x4s!