Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• au1994au1994 Posts: 762
    Did it finally sell? When it left the block it was at 1.8M and did not meet the reserve.

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,737
    I used to think the nicest '70 4-4-2 convertible in the world could be had for $100K or so. The only explanation for one selling for $325K is two idiot but rich bidders trying to outdo each other and taking leave of their senses. That happens all the time at B-J. Sadly, every rust-bucket hack-job '70 Olds convertible will now be for sale for 6 figures.

I hate Barrett-Jackson now. It is such an off-putting display of nouveau-riche guys behaving badly.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,591
    beater gullwing

Is there such a thing?

Not anymore but, when he was 14 race-driver to be, Sam Posey, convinced his mother to lend him the $2500 to buy a "second hand" 300SL.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,591
    I hate Barrett-Jackson now.

I wouldn't let Craig Jackson touch my car, let alone sell it. B-J is my least favorite auction, the cars at Gooding, Bonham's and Russo & Steele are just as nice.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,492
    Saw a 66-67 ElCamino, orange and loud; and a late 60s GM full size truck, original and still moving along.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,613
    He tried to sell his 'green hornet' Shelby, but the 1.9 million bid didn't make the reserve.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They reached a deal later, it went for 1.85M.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,136
    I was watching with my son, and decided that it was really a scam. I think he put it in so they could promo the heck out of it, but had no intention of ever selling it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• berriberri Posts: 4,135
    I hate Barrett-Jackson now

Speedvison coverage just seems top get worse as well. More and more diversions and BS, while less and less actual cars up for auction. It's getting worse than all the BS over 3 hours in NFL for maybe 15 minutes of actual action!
  • berriberri Posts: 4,135
    Scams and cons in an auction - surely you jest :D
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 762
    I tend to agree. I have watched for years and Speed's coverage just keeps getting worse. Just show me the cars. Don't need "Social Garage", whatever that is etc...

Also if I hear Craig Jackson interupt a bid again and tell me "This is the opportunity of a lifetime" or Steve Davis tell me this car is "the best of the best" I'll scream.

The cars are nice though. The stuff earlier in the week is reasonably affordable, drivers and not trailer queens or cars so over restored there is no upside to them.

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    I don't think any amount of nursing is going to get 29.4 out of a Suburban, unless you're drafting semi's or something!

Yeah, the aerodynamics of an SUV is brink like compared to any car. Every SUV I've owned has been very sensitive to wind direction. A head wind easily means 14mpg on the hwy where as a good tail wind makes 20+ easy. I've driven in head winds were my Expedition won't stay in 6th gear at 70 mph. For comparison, on a calm day, I can tow our 25' 6,000lb boat in o/d in 6th at that speed. Towing at 65mph I can usually get 11-12 mpg. Not terrible considering a combined weight of over 12k lbs.

Wind is definitely a powerful force. I have a 12' flat bed utility trailer with a 4' grated ramp that doesn't fold, so it just sticks straight up off the back of the trailer. The trailer can't weigh 800lbs empty, yet I can only get 12 mph towing it empty or loaded. The amount of air the ramp grabs is unbelievable. At 65 mph, the truck is laboring nearly as much as towing the boat, despite the towed load being an 1/8th has heavy.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, problem is, now what do you do with it?

Use it in any way and the value will drop by half in no time.

It's not really museum worthy, either. So now what? :confuse:
  • omarmanomarman Posts: 693
    Despite the recent 'arctic blast' weather, I spotted a red El Camino in traffic yesterday morning which looked like a '67 from behind. In '66, my mom had a Chevelle Malibu station wagon with the tail lights stacked on top of the backup lights, just like the '66 El Camino. By '67 the backup lights were mounted in the rear bumper.

Funny details you may remember about mom or dad's old ride! I recall that my mom really liked the wagon but had 2 accidents within 5 years. She was never satisfied with the dealership body work and could spot flaws that I really couldn't. My dad then took the car to an independent shop for a complete repaint and that really upset her. She spotted something different about the trim after the work was finished and that was the last straw. Dad sold the wagon after that and took mom new car shopping. Life is too short to bicker over matching paint and body trim. I remember that within a month after selling the wagon to a friend, my dad said that the new owner had totaled the car in a freeway accident. Nobody hurt though-except the car. :sick:
  • omarmanomarman Posts: 693
    Use it in any way and the value will drop by half in no time.

I agree. Just taking delivery of that car for that price might cost the new owner 50% depreciation if he tries to sell it the next day! :shades:
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,492
    edited January 2013
    "Funny details you may remember about mom or dad's old ride!"

Funny things. To this day I can tell a 92 from a 93 from a 94 Taurus, or an 84 from an 85 (86 is easy) Tempo, or different years of Ciera etc. And reading books partly at the behest of my dad is how I learned the details of older cars.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,116
    ...light blue 1979 Chevrolet Malibu Classic coupe with light blue vinyl roof and Ralleye wheels on the NW corner of Bingham and Martins Mill Road in NE Philly.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,846
    Well, it does have about 35,000 miles on it, so it's not like some of these freaks we occasionally find with only a few hundred miles on them.

I could see it falling into the hands of someone who, for whatever reason, really wanted a nice, low mileage example, and intends to keep it forever. So he might drive it on nice, sunny days, take it to a car show here and there, and might put 1000-2000 miles per year on it.

It also has a rebuilt engine, so it loses some points there for being all pristine-original.

I have a friend who bought a '78 Mark V Diamond Jubilee a few years back. 2005, I think? I forget how many miles it had on it, but it was pretty low, between 10-20,000. And it looked like a brand new car. He drives is pretty regularly to car shows, although the furthest he probably goes is Carlisle, Hershey, or Rehoboth Beach. By now he might have put 10,000 miles on it, which would put it at 20-30K miles. He didn't buy it to preserve it, necessarily. He just wanted to buy as "new" of a 1978 Mark V as he could find, and then enjoy it. He has no intention of getting rid of it, so he's not looking to flip it to make a quick buck, and probably isn't all that concerned about it appreciating in value.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,402
    What's "amazing" is that a pristine, low mileage 35 year old car could be worth so little as $8500. You can hardly buy a ratty '65 Mustang for that anymore. Think of the effort and expense to store, insure, and preserve a car for 35 years (to say nothing of buying it in the first place)