Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Saw an early 90s one, red, like the one in this GI Joe commerical minus the T-top:

http://youtu.be/ylyvWXcoOWQ
  • I dunno...one would like to think so, but rebuilding an Aston engine is a very pricey job, + other mechanicals---I mean, would you like to have spent $75000 + $150K to buy it, and drive a car that looks shabby? You'd have to have a very high level of self-esteem.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,941
    It's trendy now, though. And it can be driven with less worry, and is cheaper. Even on something like a DB5, I bet you could easily get into red ink before completing a nut and bolt restoration.

Somehow, a slightly shabby looking gullwing or old Ferrari or that Aston etc would appeal to me.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,371
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?68805-62-Lark-in-My-Three-- Sons-Episode

I don't like how the Lark owner seems like such a phony, but the car is interesting and I'm surprised with Pontiac sponsoring the show, a Lark is featured so prominently. Guess by '67 Studebaker couldn't complain much. ;)

The Lark must be a four-speed by the way the father reaches to the floor to shift.
  • omarmanomarman Posts: 678
    edited February 2013
    Funny how OCD upkeep is touted for cookie-cutter modern daily drivers, but at the same time it's the "shabby chic" treatment for neglected classics. If a classic DB5 doesn't need shiny paint and soft leather then it's time to blitz every German lease-return fleet with a church key! :shades:

Groundhog Day used to mean something in this town. They used to pull the hog out and they used eat it! You're hypocrites, all of ya!
    edited February 2013
    What's new is new, what's old is old. New car with battle damage = bad driver or lazy. Old car showing "experience" = history. I like the unrestored look for one main reason - it's cheaper. And patina doesn't have to mean outright neglect - I can deal with my mellowed fintail, but I don't want moss growing on it, rusty chrome, etc.

Am I right or am I right? Or am I right? Am I right? :shades:
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,403

Am I right or am I right? Or am I right? Am I right?

There's really no right or wrong, there's just what you like or what trends you may follow. There's also practicality. Any car that is not a garage queen is going to show some wear and tear, it's really up to you (and your bank account) to decide how much you can accept.

I've made scale models of cars with mud streaks scratches and the like. It makes them look more realistic and life-like.

I own up a couple of decade-old (+) BMWs that have some dings and scratches but I don't think it's worth having them removed. They still look good, in fact my 2001 330Cic looks so good that it draws compliments from strangers in a weekly basis. I've decided not to replace the roundels (paint peeling off). I'm going to have it detailed because I want the "swirlies" removed but I'm wondering if anybody but me notices.
    edited February 2013
    That "right" line is from "Groundhog Day", in reply to a line also from the same movie :P

Yes, people can do what they want, but if they want to sink 100K into a 40K car, or drive so poorly that their new car looks like a wreck in 8 months, we can point out what we see as their errors.

I have a decade old MB, people either think it is vintage (I've got the "old school" comment), or that it is new. No bad scratches, I did have a couple small dents repaired when I bought it (at ~20K miles), as the original owner was someone so rich and oblivious, he just didn't care, and was a bad parker.

Swirls are easy to cure, use some Meguiars polish and a couple coats of their NXT wax, makes my dark grey car look new.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,600
    spotted out in Annapolis, MD today, in a movie theater parking lot. It was a copperish color with a tan vinyl interior, and actually looked like it had been in good shape until recently. There was some battle damage up front...still driveable, but probably technically totaled.

Oh, and I saw a white-on-white '56 Desoto Firedome Sportsman 2-door hardtop, as well as a bunch of other 50's cars...as the movie I went to see was Hitchcock's "Vertigo" from 1958. This particular movie theater, it turns out, shows old classics in the morning on Sundays.

Anyone here ever seen "Harold and Maude"? That's what they're showing next Sunday. I've heard of it, but never seen it. I'm kinda curious though, as it has Ruth Gordon in it, and I remember her from the very obscure (but I liked it) "The Big Bus".

Oh, and on the way home, at a gas station, I saw one of those old mid-70's Jeep pickups...Honcho or whatever they called it? Can't remember the last time I saw one of those.
    Saw an Isuzu Oasis today - hard to get odder than that. Went to take the fintail out, and slumbering under a cover in the new garage is an Avanti - I bet it's the same car previously sharing a space with my car.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,275
    Anyone here ever seen "Harold and Maude"?

I would recommend that you see it. I loved it. It is a very oddball comedy; what can you say about a depressed 20 year old guy who falls in love with an 80 year old woman whose hobby is attending funerals of people she doesn't know? But do go see it and make up your own mind. Oh, and Ruth Gordon was wonderful.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• Also saw what sounds like the same Omega.. only mine was crabbing down the freeway.. also looked totaled..

I love Vertigo.. if you liked that one, see Rear Window, another Jimmy Stewart/Hitchcock work..

There is a nice E-type Jag in Harold and Maude, which is sort of integral to the story..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• omarmanomarman Posts: 678
    Dark comedies don't get much better after Cary Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace. In Harold and Maude's world, Mortimer would considered a freak instead of the lucky SOB who turns out to be adopted by his family.

To be fair in the hands of Charles Addams the story of Harold and Maude would be funny instead of just trying to be funny. Happily the movie Addams Family Values came along years later to show the "cult" followers of Harold and Maude how it's supposed to be done:

Girl speaking to Wednesday: Why are you dressed like somebody died?
    Wednesday: Wait.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 892
    I'd recommend Harold and Maude, if only for Ruth Gordon and the E-type. She steals a Mustang at one point in the movie, and does a smoky burnout in front of a cop.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,371
    edited February 2013
    First, in the McDonalds parking lot (hey, it's National Pancake Day!), and secondly out driving in our sloppy, snowy, salty streets today.

It's the '57-60 style but has four headlights which would make it a '58-60. Looked used, but decent--white with "Bender Garage" painted on the door.

I like the old '56 Ford, and I love the '61 unibody Ford trucks for styling--those '57-60's didn't do anything for me but it was neat seeing one out today.

Those early sixties Ford unibody trucks are one of my favorite trucks styling-wise, of any trucks. I like how the rear wheel opening mirrors the front. They changed that (and not for the better IMO) in the '64 and later wide bed trucks.

Speaking of those Ford unibodies, I heard they didn't hold up to heavy use. In '62 Ford started offering a separate wide box that was the '57-60 style. Width-wise it was fine, but it didn't have a single styling cue--wheel opening size/shape, creases, anything--in common with the newer cab style.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,600
    Speaking of those Ford unibodies, I heard they didn't hold up to heavy use.

I've heard that too, that they were rust-prone, and because the cab and the bed were integrated, it was harder to do body work on them.

I wonder if being all one piece like that would cause the body to stress and bend over time, since pickup trucks, especially older ones, tend to flex going over bumps.
    I like those unibody pickups too,clean design. Make it a 61 for the odd rear window option.

Recent sightings - DeLorean, VW Squareback, gold W126 300SD that screamed 1982, black W210 E55 AMG, Tempo.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,013
    A Tempo? Heck, I seldom see any of these even in the southwest any more.
    Not just that, on local craigslist right now there are 2x V6 Tempos, both with under 60K on them. Odd ducks.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,013
    Wow, are you sure you're not partaking in some of that Pacific Northwest weed while reading that - just kidding! Incidentally, when you get a Subaru I'll know you moved south to Oregon!