Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,100
    Mint W140s also count as survivors to me, not many around anymore.

I know, stll like them, they feel like tanks. I saw one at the local public auction a few months ago and was thinking of buying it but the mileage has been rolled back 3 times.

I found out because our emissions testing in BC has a website where you can punch in the VIN of a vehicle and it will tell you the car's emission testing history for free. It shows the date it was tested and mileage it had at time of testing. So you can look back and see where the mileage kept going up and then down all of sudden.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,943
    edited February 2013
    And they look like tanks. Very comfy cars, and the later ones say 96+ actually aren't always too troublesome. Early ones are iffy though - if the wiring harness hasn't been replaced, it will eventually need it. Not cheap or easy.

In Van, I bet there are a number of nice low mileage W140s collecting dust in the garages of money that moved in from HK 20-25 years ago. I remember being in the area then, and W140s were everywhere compared to Seattle or anywhere else I had been.
    What is the harness replacement anyways? The ECU harness? Or something else? What are the costs?

W140s, early ones especially, had problems with wiring that was intended to be biodegradable (seriously - that's what happens when greenies infect engineering minds). The insulation was soybean based and will actually attract rodents. IIRC, the engine/upper harness is a routine failure, there is also a lower/body (I think) harness that can also go bad. Replacement parts + labor can be several grand.
    edited February 2013
    My obscure car hanging out in its new garage. Running fine today, even took it out on the highway (a little leery about that as tire age makes me worry). I didn't take it past 65 anyway.

I think that might be an early Lotus Esprit under the cover - it was really attached firmly, and I didn't want to force it up to get a better look.
    Did you move? Yeah that definetly looks like an Esprit, just imagine the 007 Espirt that was under water and it had almost identical tapered front.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    NA Miatas eat spark plug wires every 30k miles, too. Feed them or else.
  • It's not a bias actually. I think I could back it all up with good solid data. As others have said, anecdotal evidence is the worst evidence one could possibly rely upon.

The Vega didn't become the poster child for disaster by accident. There's a reason why the car has such a bad reputation and I don't have that kind of power to do that to a car on my own. :P
    Speaking of under water, yes I moved - owner of my previous garage sold the place, as he finally was able to break even on it, and wanted out. I got lucky, found a garage even closer to where I live, and for the same money. I am happy.

I like the early Esprits more, even if they are more troublesome. The angular cues are more pure. Notice there is a huge oil spot in front of the car too, signifying that something British might be lurking :shades:
    Why do they do that? Nice to see not only Euros have electrical issues.
    It's just a wear and tear item. Change the spark plus at 30k, and just go ahead and change the plug wires while you're at it.

People just forget, and then complain, but it's scheduled maintenance.
    Even my modern car has 100K mile plugs. Which is good, as there are 16 of them.
    We probably spend the same amount, 3 services vs 1. Funny.

And I only changed 12 plugs in that period. :D

I have to look up the interval on my NC Miata, could be longer now. I'm at 26k but it'll take me a while to hit 30k miles.
    An 8 quart synthetic oil change doesn't come cheap :shades:

Modern car is still fine on its original plugs. Fintail gets them every several years, much cheaper.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,372
    I've had platinum-tipped 100K mile plugs in every new car I've owned since my '97 Cavalier. Shhh, don't tell anyone over on the GM Forum or they'll think it's some kind of insidious scheme.
    Yeah a buddy had a 911 and you do *not* want to know what he spent on oil changes.
    edited February 2013
    This was a '93, so before the 100k tune-up intervals became common.
    Oil change and checkup usually just noses past $100. But, needs it less than twice a year. A 15K mile service is a few hundred. Not too bad. On the other hand, tires and brakes are insanely expensive.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,372
    edited February 2013
    I've got to believe that when GM was putting them in to the then-new '95 Cavalier, that was probably the first 100K mile spark-plug interval...or one of the first, and in a dirt-cheap car to boot.

GM was first to put ABS in everything too, even the lowest-end cars, but at some point in the mid '00's I guess the temptation to lower the price and meet competition that didn't have it as standard, became too great to overcome...unfortunately.
    Maybe the biggest 90s advancement - long service intervals. I remember when Ford went to that about 1996, lots of attention was given.