Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,940
    I am surprised he had something so relatively basic, as he was a bazillionaire even then. Nice old car.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,369
    I worked with an older, soft-spoken, conservative fellow 30 years ago, mild-mannered accountant, and he would say whenever we'd talk cars, that his (new) '64 Rambler Classic was the best car he'd ever owned! It was white, too, but he'd always add that he had the roof painted dark blue.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,686
    edited February 2013
    Did I tell you that? I'm sorry about that--I've changed my mind. I don't think old CEOs that are slipping out of the American consciousness (or like Egbert, not a bad fellow really, have disappeared from it) have much effect on value. Of course, all it takes is one person who thinks so, and who maybe has a Romney shrine in his garage, but I doubt there's much market effect overall.

It's a curiosity at best.
    When I was a kid, an older lady in town had a pretty 64 or so Rambler 2 door HT - red and white, I thought it was an attractive car. It was in good shape through the 90s. The wagons were also nice looking. But, the mid 60s were probably the pinnacle of American car design - almost everything was nice looking.
    But, the mid 60s were probably the pinnacle of American car design - almost everything was nice looking.

I've long thought so, but figured it was a function of those cars running around when I was a car-crazy little kid. But maybe it's true...I know you're a good bit younger than me. Good to hear! ;)
  • I used to work for a Rambler dealer when I was in high school, as a kind of lot boy, valet, etc.

I remember, compared to what was on the road then, that the Ramblers were certainly built to a price. They were the Toyota Echo of their day. When I would go from a Rambler to a Buick Electra on the lot, it was like going from a stagecoach to the starship Enterprise. Well, okay, maybe not quite. :P

Even when I got my first car ever from that used car lot (Studebaker), it seems so much nicer than the Ramblers, even though it was ten years old.
    edited February 2013
    I think pro-Rambler people would think it's a plus, like the way a lot of Stude folks think Egbert is a larger-than-life figure. I will say that whenever there's an article even in a general old-car mag about the Avanti or performance packages on lesser Studes, Egbert's name is always mentioned.

With this Rambler, you've got '...it was owned by the Dad of the 2012 Republican candidate and used in the campaign', as well.

Regardless, I'll like to see what it brings.

I always heard Ramblers had excellent heaters and defrosters--seriously!

Since I personally have owned only 1963-66 Studebakers as 'hobby cars', I was surprised to see that metal instrument panel in the Rambler. My cars' dashes were all fiberglass and padded, top-to-bottom. But now that I think about it, I remember my grandparents' '63 Bel Air wagon having a metal instrument panel.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    "Of course, all it takes is one person who thinks so, and who maybe has a Romney shrine in his garage, but I doubt there's much market effect overall."

And I can more easily imagine a Studebaker fan upping the bid on a 'special' Studebaker, than a Rambler fan on that Rambler. I don't see near the fan base for them.
    I was a kid in the 80s and 90s - not a high point for the automobile. I can appreciate design no matter the era. And at the same time, my dad was a car guy and had old cars, that opened my eyes too.
    edited February 2013
    And I can more easily imagine a Studebaker fan upping the bid on a 'special' Studebaker, than a Rambler fan on that Rambler. I don't see near the fan base for them.

We are a rabid bunch, for good or bad! ;)

I'm assigned to work near Harrisburg, PA the last week of Feb. The annual big Studebaker swap meet is in York, PA that very weekend, with a gorgeous '60 Hawk raffle car being given away that weekend, so I can tie the trip to the swap meet into a work expense or two! Am I lucky or what?!

(Yeah I know, doesn't take much!)
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,686
    edited February 2013
    It's the old story---one or two auction sales don't make a "market".

Once a certain car I'm tracking, or a certain specific year/type/option list car sells 5 or 6 times for the same or more money, then I take notice of a market change.

If you're thinking of riding Mr Romney coat tails to fame and fortune in a car auction, best think again about that.

Mr Egbert is sort of remembered as father of the Avanti, and of course he inherited a corpse of a corporation to work with---and for those few brief years, he gave it a good shot. But the company was doomed since 1946, and Mr. Egbert was doomed as well, being quite ill and dying young. Something of a hero figure in the minor pantheon of automotive gods I'd say.

Romney (senior) was respected for what he did, but mr. personality he wasn't. My dad liked him. I still have a letter from Mr. Romney to my dad somewhere.

Do you think I could sell it on eBay for a million dollars? :P
    Was that the really base cars? The higher line cars look pretty decent to me - but I know the strippers were pretty stripped. It was a value brand.
    edited February 2013
    Egbert was a big guy, and I've seen a pic of him being booked at the South Bend police station in Jan. '62 for punching an assembly line worker on strike who wouldn't allow him to drive into the plant in the back of a Mercedes Benz! Hard to imagine these days.

EDIT: Just found this pic on eBay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1962-Sherwood-Egbert-booked-Disorderly-conduct-charges-Pr- ess-Photo-/160861124293
  • The Ambassador line had some amenities, like brocade upholstery, a beefy V-8, and I suspect more sound-deadening material, but the dash and exterior looked much the same as a Rambler. It was upscale but not luxurious by any means.

Rambler customers were more like Studebaker customers---thrift-conscious people. They weren't about to spend money on extravagances as might a Buick or Olds owner.

If Rambler had stuck with an improved American series, and Studebaker ditched everything but the Lark series, who knows--they might have survived longer, and would have hit the 1971-73 "sweet spot" for economy cars.

Think of how far Chrysler took the Dart, and Chevy the Nova and Ford the Falcon.

Problem is, there was little money in building small, de-contented cars.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,100
    I like the low spec manual red wagon.

Yeah the wagon is cool, it's so Euro with the hubcaps, cloth interior, and 5 speed manual. I'm tempted to go look at it but I think I might actually go check out the white 190E.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

Price is right anyway, and good the gasket has been changed - both 4 and 6 cyl 190s seem to have that issue. Wheels are off a W210, if it matters.

Here's a cool 190E, optimistic price

And another

Euro model
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,100
    I noticed the newer wheels too. I just like the updated body touches on the last few years of the 190E models, makes them look a bit more modern than the first ones from early 80s.

The 2nd Cosworth 190E I saw that too because the guy is advertising on CL here in Vancouver BC as well.

I think they're all a bit optimistically priced. Hate the headlights on the 2nd one although it would be an easy replacement. Not sure about that balck electrical tape on the driver's seat though. :sick:

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• Does a Hurst Rambler or an AMX have some value on the market? I remember driving both back in '69........fast cars! Two college friends owned them.
    The updated side cladding and later headlights do make them look more modern. Those pre-86 headlights that you don't like are painful.

2.3-16s are tough to move. The W201 has a cheapy rep to it now, and few want to pay a premium price for one. The dogleg shift pattern and I suspect a few rare expensive parts don't help, either.

Most people don't seem to know an upholstery shop can probably fix a stitching issue for relatively little money.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    since we went through the Vega phase.

driving around today, a later year pinto wagon that badly needed a paint job.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)