Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,907
    Saw an oddity today - ~70 Eldorado, light green metallic with white top, faux landau bar attached, looked to be in decent survivor condition.

Also saw the local old lady who drives what I wager is an original owner 560SEC. She's tiny, and sits insanely close to the wheel, I shudder at the thought of an airbag deployment.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    edited February 2013
    Our show was this month.

Have a great trip!
    Not a big error. Your reputation remains untarnished. You probably have bigger things to think about than I do.
    I've seen that one too, in the Cabin John parking lot.
    Oh yeah I didn't ask - going back to the home country?
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    Fox Body Continental (85ish) this morning. Baby blue with navy cloth top. Looked well used and sagging in the back.

They are certainly a rarity these days.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    Years ago, one of my grandparents' friends came to visit her while I was there. She wanted to show off her new car (well used, but new to her), a Cadillac Cimarron.

Well, Granddad wasn't around, so he couldn't comment. Grandmom looked at it, and didn't know what to make of it, until her fried showed her the badge. Grandmom didn't know what "Cimarron" meant, but she definitely recognized the Cadillac crest.

I swear, Grandmom actually sounded genuine when she exclaimed "Wow, a CADILLAC!! You did better than me, I just have a Buick!"

But, a little later, after her friend left, Grandmom said to me, with a disappointed look on her face, "Is that really a Cadillac?" and when I told her yes, she said that she looked even more disappointed, and said that she preferred her Buick. I think whatever mystique the Cadillac nameplate had ever held for her was dashed on the rocks at that point.
    Your Grandmom's reaction must have been typical. That said, I wouldn't mind owning a nicely maintained Cimarron now, to take to car shows. It'd get a lot of lookers, comments and questions.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    A conversation starter for sure.
    Funny thing is, in looking at the pictures of them today, I have to admit a weird sort of attraction to them as well. They're actually not bad looking little cars. It's just that it's so blatantly obvious what they're based on. And it got even worse in 1984, when the Cavalier went to quad headlights and the eggcrate grille.

The Cimarron sold pretty poorly, but I wonder if GM still managed to turn a decent profit on them? They were pricied a lot more than a Cavalier, but there really wasn't anything about them that made them much more expensive to build. They had nicer interiors, to be sure, but it was still just a Cavalier dashboard. And all the power stuff was optional on the other cars...if not a Cavalier, certainly a Starfire or Skyhawk. And finally, all the exterior differences were easy-swap items such as header panels, taillights, etc.
  • An absolutely "mint" Chevy Beretta parked on 42nd st. in New York City. What was the last year they made those anyway? This car looked showroom new. Didn't they stop making them in the mid 90s or so? Must be somebody's baby, with a very $$$ little garage.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    Thanks for reminding me - I saw a Cimarron yesterday, first one in years. Driving, so I don't know how it looked inside, but outside looked good.

Poor Grandmom, sad when that happens. Article in today's WSJ about that same thing, but with sports figures.
    The styling wasn't bad either, really. The Cavalier itself wasn't a bad looking car, fairly crisp, wagon looked decent. When I was a little kid, maybe first or second grade,a friend's mother had a "Type 10" fastback model that I thought was cool - I guess the styling was racy to my young eyes, and it had a sunroof - still an uncommon thing then.

I knew a guy in high school who had a Cimarron, a later flush lights model.
  • a car company can never sit back and rest on its laurels---in this business, you do that and someone will eat you for breakfast.

Think of the irony of the 1970 Cadillac owner looking in either mockery, or if he was more dignified, in pity, at the little Honda 600 coupe rattling at idle next to him---the Honda being about the size of a lifeboat attached to the luxurious ocean-liner of a Cadillac he was driving.

Fast forward a mere 12 years and the driver of the 1982 Cadillac Cimarron looks to his right at a quietly idling, roomy and comfortable 1982 Honda Accord--all things considered, every bit as good as the "cadillac".

Once again, what economists call the "Black Swan" hit Cadillac on its blind side--an unexpected turn of events to which some automakers simply could not respond adequately.
    1996 was the last year for the Beretta, as well as the Corsica. The 1997 Malibu replaced the Corsica, but I guess coupe sales had fallen off enough by that time, they didn't think the Beretta warranted replacing.

I liked the Beretta and Corsica when they first came out. Styling looked good, I thought. But the interiors were horrible. And when the Cavalier was redesigned and improved for 1995, I think it put some pressure on them.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    "a car company can never sit back and rest on its laurels"

I see what you did there...
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,348
    edited February 2013
    The Type 10 Cavaliers were rarely seen in my parts--and I lived 40 miles from where they were built!

The '82 Cavalier came out to much interest, somewhere in the middle of calendar '81. I can remember driving with a buddy over to the Lordstown plant on a Sunday and through a fence I saw one sitting there, before they were out. I was stunned at how the rear end was almost an exact ripoff of a Triumph TR-7.

When they came out, I was stunned at the price. A fully-loaded one could hit $9K--when the sticker of my new '81 Monte Carlo V8 (admittedly, not loaded) was $8,192. Furthermore, the 1.8 liter was reallllly slow, and the quality they talked about was hard to prove to me as I saw a new one on a dealer lot with the glued-on side molding on one door lying on the pavement near the car.

It was a lousy launch--as was the Celebrity that came out very shortly after. It, too, was expensive for what you got.

In '83, Chevy made the Cavalier engine a 2.0 liter that by all accounts was a noticeable improvement, and reduced the price of both the Cavalier and Celebrity. At that point, they became best-sellers, so it is possible to recover from a lousy launch.
    I've seen old ads that show the same - a nice early Celebrity was virtually the same price as a Caprice. One was a lot more car than the other.

Speaking of Beretta from another post, a friend of my mother bought a final run car, a 1996, teal (of course, mid 90s GM and all). It wasn't trouble-free.
  • It's interesting, isn't it, how most 80s cars are disappearing from view at a rapid clip? Even the junkyards don't want them, because they take up room without making much $$$ in parts sales.

Even stranger is how my eyes would just glaze over vintage Mustangs or Porsches in NYC but would, no doubt, immediately lock onto a Cadillac Cimarron, as if to say "wow, you mean there's one left?!!" :P
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    As a child of the 80s, even nostalgia isn't enough for me to want many cars from that era.