Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,100
    That'll be an adventure, driving in Israel.

Not too bad, and not like anything you see in movies or news about the middle east. The roads are normal, traffic rules are normal, no donkeys or anything like that sharing roads. I did it 5 years ago and it was fine, only sometimes other drives make risky moves and are a bit agressive (nobody stops for pedestrians) but otherwise it's fine.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• omarmanomarman Posts: 677
    I had the same impression with a rental Omni 2.2/automatic back in the 80s. It's strange, but the Omni was ahead of its time (no really) because it was bigger than other subcompacts when it first came out. By the mid 80s, other subcompacts were growing into the size where the Omni started/finished.

As a rental, the Omni seemed okay to me, kept up with traffic and got the job done. But the interior bits and ergonomics were dreck. The manual inside hood release looked like a re-purposed dipstick. :lemon:
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,937
    Probably people with more situational awareness than here, anyway.

I see Sixt has Sirion or equiv for under $20/at at Tel Aviv, with a diverse line of small cars - highlines are pricey though.
    Yeah I priced out a CTS and it would have been like $5k for 3 weeks lol.

A subcompact will run me about $500-$600 with insurance for same amount of time.

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,937
    I got something like $300/day for an E class...no thanks.

When I rent overseas, I buy their insurance too - but domestically, the Amex insurance is a deal. When you get back, post it on the rental car thread, I'll be curious to see what you get.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,367
    I absolutely preferred Omni/Horizon rentals into the '80's, over K-cars.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,681
    edited February 2013
    50 Studebakers Destroyed In Fire :(

Folks, make sure your collector cars are well insured and appraised!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's a shame.

Too soon for the "that'll buff right out" jokes?
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,453
    edited February 2013
    Uplanderguy has to be in mourning... He's the Stude guy...

The thing that always gets me about tragedies like this is the total lack of protection given to the value of the assets.

You can rest assured that if I had a shop(s) full of collectible cars it would be equipped with some sort of fire protection, even if it was only a simple sprinkler system.... At least, something that might give me a chance of saving some of the vehicles.

It's like power tools. I can't count how many times I've seen someone spend a small fortune on a deluxe power tool, yet refuse to spend the extra $15-20 for a moulded plastic case to store it in when not in use. Usually it's crammed into a storage cabinet or left lying on a shelf, exposed....5 years later, its all beat up.

I'm not trying to beat this guy up or anything, but he's lost something he can NEVER get back, regardless how much he's insured for...

Maybe I'm just too sensitive to stuff like this because something similar happened in my hometown when I was in my early 20's ...there was a guy with all types of old collectible cars. Had them stored in an old barn, and wouldn't think of selling them. Well, one night the barn burned, along with all those non-replaceable cars. It was a absolute travesty...And, he had zero insurance...

By the way, Chesnee is about 50 miles from my house...
    There's a thread like that? I'll check it out, thanks.

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    edited February 2013
    "Weird sort of attraction" describes the appeal of Cimarrons for me perfectly. I can't say the same for the Catera, though. Although the Catera was a better car than the Cimarron, in terms of how it drove and fit in the Cadillac lineup of its day, most of them were high maintenance. For all of its faults the Cimarron wasn't high maintenance. By now, though, trim parts are probably virtually unobtainum.

Besides, the Cimarron, like, say, the Aztek, is one of GM's big blunders. That makes it attractive in a weird sort of way, to use your words. The Catera, by contrast, kind of slid by rather annonomously. It's unremembered and unlamented. Sort of like that (Chrysler) Maserati TC or late '80s/early '90s Imperial.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,727
    edited February 2013
    >Cimarron

I believe I only saw ONE Cimarron during my summer where I viewed thousands of older cars at car shows and cruise-ins. I don't remember seeing any in the couple of previous summers where I saw almost as many cars each summer.

I don't think the car deserves the ridicule heaped on it perpetually by some just like the Aztek doesn't deserve all, some but not all, ridicule. It was NOT a wunderauto but was a sincere attempt to come up with a smaller car to increase Cadillac's market. Admittedly it was not a stellar attempt but was more of an early experiement to see if an upgraded J-body would serve Cadillac.

This message has been approved.

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I actually like those early 90s Imperials. They were very plush and could be loaded up for the times. They also got the 3.8 V6 so decent power as well. They probably have tranny issues as all the FWD 6 cyl Chryslers did.

They were phased out in 93 and the LH platform was a giant leap forward.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    In many ways the Cimarron was ahead of its time. Look at all the entry level small luxury sedans that sell so well today. The only difference is today, the manufacturers can pull it off. In the early 80s it wasn't so easily done.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,367
    I'd heard about that a week or so ago...very sad. Supposedly the guy is well-known in that area of SC and a nice guy, per people who know him. I've never met him nor spoken to him.
    Regarding your first paragraph, the fact that there are so few Cimarrons remaining just makes it a more interesting item at car shows.

Well, I can't disagree with your second paragraph. However, Cadillac's biggest mistake wasn't to use the J-body for an entry level model, but, rather, to not differentiate the Cimarron more from the Js in GM's lower level divisions. For example, if the Cimarron had had more differentiated styling, with more Cadillac cues, a plusher interior and a more powerful engine from the get go it could have justified its higher price. In other words, the problem wasn't in the concept, it was in the execution.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,075
    Insurance or not, I'd be on the brink of suicide if I lost my 1989 Cadillac Brougham in a fire. Sure, I could get another one like it, but it won't be my car!
    edited February 2013
    The Cimarron would have done better if it didn't look so much like a Cavalier.

I guess in the 80s it might have been hard to redo all of the body panels and the dashboard as they were cookie cutter square.

These days you can add or remove a few different swoops from the body and the car will look totally different. I mean look at the Lexus ES series and the Camry. Both identical cars under the skin but they look different enough that people are willing to pay a 25-30% premium for the Lexus badge.

EDIT: Just saw hpmctorque's post about the styling, I wrote mine before I read his, exactly my point.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    Or Nova. On 295, a mid-later 70's Nova 4 door. Burgendy, with a vinyl roof. Looked to be listing a bit to port, but was moving at highway speeds.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

In addition to the suggestions I made, Cadillac could have increased the wheelbase of its J-car by 2", thereby differentiating it in terms of interior space and rear seat legroom, as GM used to do to differentiate the Olds 88 and 98. The slightly longer Cimarron would have still been a compact, and fuel economy would have been only minimally affected. This way, buyers would have gotten more car for the higher price. Another precedent for this differentiation was the Nova and Seville.