Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,120
    I don't know if you've ever watched "King of the Hill," but Peggy Hill's car appears to be an early 1980s Buick Century sedan:

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,849
    I always thought that, too, Lemko. If you look at it in the opening credits, the way the rear slopes off really makes me think of a midsized Buick. I had always though maybe an '80-81 Century. But, judging from that pic you posted with the quad headlights, it would be an '82-84 Regal.

I think there actually was an episode or two where they referred to the car as a Buick.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    Funny, I have noticed that too. Definitely one of the "formal" middle GM sedans from that era.

My friend with the 83 and 85 Monte Carlos would say his 83 was a car that Peggy Hill would drive.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,141
    "it would terrify me trying to maneuver that Olds. Just way too much hood I guess. "

Heck Stick, you just gotta go back to the day. A couple of martini's and a cigar - no problem!
    Well, the Pancho is just a big car. That era toro was a monstrosity of a tank. I had no problem driving a 26'box Frieghtliner ryder truck in traffic, and it would terrify me trying to maneuver that Olds.

Believe it or not, that '64 Bonneville and early 70's Toronado are very close in size. The Bonneville is on a 123" wheelbase, and 220" long. The Toro is on a 122" wb, and around 220-221" long.

The Toronado is mostly hood though, so that might make it a bit more intimidating than the Bonneville to drive. But it would probably handle better, thanks to a more modern suspension, quicker steering, smaller steering wheel, disc brakes, larger radial tires, etc.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    I've long thought that the car Peggy Hill drove was a Buick Century 4-door--it's almost a dead ringer for a real car! I don't remember two or four headlights, though.

I know Hank drove a Ranger. I remember one time they showed him crossing into Arkansas, where the sign said "Home of President Bill Clinton". They then showed Hank hitting the power door lock button on the inner door panel of the Ranger! LOL
    Yep, in early episodes Hank had a 1993 style Ranger, which was sometimes an anachronism, as it would be talked about like he had it since the 80s. Around the year 2000, there was an episode where the old truck died, and was replaced with an F250 style model.

I think I watched too much TV ;)
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,744
    On the '78/'79, I liked the Regal styling best, because the front end was a bit more distinctive than the Cutlass. Didn't mind the GP, hated the Monte those years.

In '80 when GM grafted quad headlights on those front ends that previously had duals I didn't think any of them came off very well, but again preferred the Regal.

For '81 and up I liked the Cutlass best, with the Regal a close second.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

In '80 when GM grafted quad headlights on those front ends that previously had duals I didn't think any of them came off very well, but again preferred the Regal.

I had forgotten that the Regal went to quads for '80 as well as the Cutlass and Monte. Had to google some pics to refresh my memory. And yeah, I agree, it's about the most tasteful of the bunch. Actually, I think it's a slight improvement over 1978-79. As for the Cutlass, I don't mind either way. I think the Monte is a step down, but I think part of the problem is that eggcrate grille they went to the same year.
    Yeah, I remember that episode. I think Bobby wandered off and got lost in the wilderness, in the rain, and Hank went and rescued him in the F250, taking it places that the old Ranger couldn't go because of the higher clearance, 4wd, etc.

Did Peggy ever get a new car, or did she keep that Buick til the end?

I also remember Hank's father, or was it Peggy's, who drove an '86-90 style Eldorado?
    That was Hank's father, 'Cotton', who drove the shrunken late '80's Eldo.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    Here's a 1980 with a piece of sheet metal to prevent whiplash.
    I thought the Monte improved some with quad headlights, and the standard interior dressed up a bit (more woodgrain on the panel, for good or bad, and carpeted lower door panels finally standard) on the '80. But I preferred the '81 styling so much. Had some cues, particularly in the rear, from the '74 Monte I think.

I could still like an '87 or '88 LS, with the checkerboard aluminum wheels, two-tone light and dark maroon, with dark maroon CL interior.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    edited October 2013
    Spotted a 1st generation LeBaron coupe, today.. Paint was pretty faded, but hardly any rust.... and doing about 70 down the freeway... This was the late '70s version... RWD...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

That Olds is a '76 or '77.
    Andre, was your '86 Monte Carlo an LS, or the '85-and-previous style? I seem to remember the LS didn't come out at the beginning of the model year, so they still sold the style with four headlights and the older-style taillights too IIRC.
    Mine was just the base coupe...I forget if they called that a "Sport Coupe" or not? I seem to remember Chevy tended to throw that term around alot. So it was the older style, rather than the slightly aero-ized style that the LS was sporting.

It was a two-tone gray over silver, with a burgundy cloth (mouse-fur?) interior. I seem to remember the trim on the dash was black plastic. It had the 150 hp 305-4bbl and a nice stereo with a 5-band equalizer, but wasn't all that ritzy, otherwise. Crank windows, manual locks and seat, hubcaps. Still, it was a pretty nice car. I think Mom paid around $14,000 for it. She also got it toward the end of the model year in 1986. Part of her reason for getting it was that I had my learner's permit, license would be coming soon, and she was going to give me her 1980 Malibu coupe.

Initially, Mom wanted a Pontiac Grand Am or something similar, and my stepdad was pushing for something small-ish and FWD. But Granddad talked her into the Monte Carlo, saying that it would be more reliable, and it would be easier for him to work on. I'm glad Mom listened to her Dad! Otherwise, 12 years later, I might have been getting a beat-up 4-cyl Grand Am handed down to me, presuming it was still running. And it would have been that car I got t-boned in, rather than the bigger, heavier Monte.
    edited October 2013
    Funny to be two-tone paint and graphic equalizer, and have just the wheelcovers. I think they were rather 'pie plate' by then, too. The model you had was called the 'Sport Coupe'.

I remember when I bought my '81 Monte Carlo, I looked at the Grand Prix brochure and was surprised that 'poverty caps' were standard on the Grand Prix. The Monte gave you full wheelcovers and an electric clock standard. I'm thinking the clock was optional on the Grand Prix too. But, the dash was way better on the Grand Prix I think.

I remember looking at my first '78 Grand Prix stuck out back of the Pontiac-Olds dealer in Clarion, PA, where I went to college. I was pretty shocked at it too. They really took the '78's farther than they took the full-sizes in '77 I think.
    Speaking of Montes, a good old friend of mine has an 83,and an 85. The 85 is a lower mile SS, and the 83 he bought when he was 18 (mid 90s) and has held onto. It's light grey with a darker grey interior, a "CL" (he says it stands for CeLebrity ;) )with a 305 and whatever troublesome small transmission from that era that eventually failed. It came new with wire caps, when he was a teen, he put small wheels with low profile tires on it which gave it kind of a lowrider look. Now it wears wheels off a ~81 Z28. The SS is still in decent shape, but the 83 is showing its age - a sentimental object his wife hasn't yet made him part with.