Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,154
    ...how about a Hummer limo! Just saw one about two weeks ago. I swear they'll make a limo out of anything these days. Back in college I saw a beige 1986 Honda Accord made into a limo.
  • verozahl's dream!

Limos as we know it in America are the stretched to infinity versions, but in Europe it's just a term for a really nice private taxi with possibly an extended rear end. Like an SEL Mercedes.
  • chmeeeechmeeee Posts: 327
    I saw a 60s vintage Mustang limo a few years back at a show. More recently I saw a Z1 in Germany, and I have seen not one but two Caterhams in Eastern Mass (on separate occasions). There is an old Saab 96 parked on the side of the road a few blocks up from my apartment, the only one I have ever seen.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    I saw a stretched Hummer in Chicago as well. Thoroughly bizarre.
    Right you are.

Some of my older relatives from the Strassbourg area say they would not want to buy larger Benz, BMW and Jaguar models people in the US think nothing of buying as they do not want to hire a driver. Seems among some of the more conservative French there is a feeling a car does not have to be all that large to be considered a limo.

In Italy I have seen modest sized Alfas with uniformed drivers.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I guess I'll have to find the place that will make my '87 Accord into a limo. Let's see, 98hp from carburated engine, manual transmission, crank windows, no a/c, 13" wheels. Sounds like a limo to me.

Lately, let's see: I still see that Maserati Quattroporte in my neighborhood once in a while ('80s, faded ice blue paint with buttery tan leather seats), a '60-61 Rambler Ambassador sedan for sale near me, also a same era Rambler wagon for sale, just saw a '64 or '65 Studebaker (Lark? Commander?) sedan (the bigger, boxier one) in burgandy, kinda nice and unusual. Um, more later. Must go out and drive now.
  • nickpernickper Posts: 28
    I have seen a couple of the Pontiac Tempest versions of the Corsia too. Does anyone know the story about those? One had Canadian plates, the other had Michigan plates. What were those supposed to be???
    Every now and then I will see auto transport trucks with Neons heading east toward the Chicago railyards from the Rockford area DC factory. What strikes this US citizen as odd is that these are Chysler Neons. Obviously on their way to Canada and beyond.
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    Accord limos? ewwwwww!

My building's real estate agent owns an old Alfa Romeo convertible. Any guesses as to what it might be? I'll have to ask him.
  • Alfa Romeo Spiders were very popular... I see them around occasionally. I saw a Fiat X1/9 recently and remembered that my grandfather owned an orange one around the time I was born.
  • Vero, unless it's one of the really really old Alfas (pre-1976 or so), and it's about the size of a Mazda Miata, it's just an Alfa Romeo Spider.

It may be an Alfa Romeo Spider veloce...they made them until 1995 or so and was the last car sold here. In fact, you could say it was Italy's only fairly reliable car sold in America...
  • g1994stsg1994sts Posts: 26
    Saw an older couple driving It today. The car was in like new condition. From the back bumper to where the door ends, It had that upside down Nike swosh shape, hidden headlights, no grille? and overall a very handsome and with design details that seemed to be ahead of It's time. Were these cars forgotten and junked or are they collectable today?
    magneto, that Alfa, it's pre-1980s.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    g1994sts...sounds like a 65, but that description could also fit up to the 1970 model. My favorite Riviera is the 65. Hell...my favorite American car of all time is the 1965 Riviera.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    G1994sts, I think you saw an Oldsmobile Toronado. The Buick Riviera was kind of similar in size, price and likely buyers at the time (late '60s) but was rear-wheel drive. The Toronado was front-wheel drive (the first mass-produced FWD car built in the U.S., I think).
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    I also see a few Alfa Spiders on occasion, as well as a few MGBs. Would it be safe to say that the MGB was Britain's only reliable car sold in the States?
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    All those cross-border, cross-branded, cross-plated vehicles you mention.

We have the Corsica/Tempest. Firefly/Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift < All 3 the same.

But question is: Have you ever seen an old-school:

Skoda
    Lada (not just the Niva "SUV", but the cars too)
    Dacia (Romania's fame on middle-eastern roads)
    Oltcit (same as a Renault Axel 11R, but made in Romania - we actually bought one in 1989 and it drove remarkably well - by Eastern Euro Standards)
    Aro (Again, a Romanian-made SUV)

Seen the Fuego, the Merkur, the 2CV.

Dinu
    ...but a cardboard showroom advertisement for an obscure car - the Plymouth Cricket - at a flea market this weekend. It was a 6' tall cartoon cricket wearing a jacket and bowtie and a text balloon that read "Chirp Chirp! Introducing the new Cricket - the little car from Plymouth that can!" Mr. Cricket's face had several large dents, probably from being slugged by some disgruntled customer who purchased a Cricket.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,602
    RWD sedan/hatchback. I think it was sourced from Talbot which Chrysler got when it bought Talbot-Simca in the 70s.

It was succeeded by the Omnirizon twins.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

Here in Ann Arbor, I see a Merkur or a Sterling on a bimonthly basis or so... not every day, but often enough to know that they're out there.
  • jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    Since shifty doesn't seem to be around I'll take a stab at it. There were Giuiia and Giulietta Spiders in the 50's and 60's that looked quite different, but what most people would recognize as an Alfa Spider was built from '66 to '94 and are loosely divided into 4 "series":
    Series 1 66-70(ish): Called the Roundtail, Duetto, Boattail or "Osso di sepia" Spiders. These are shaped like a cuttlebone (that's osso di sepia in Italian). Dustin Hoffman drove one in "The Graduate".
    Series 2 70-81: Coda tronca or "Kamm-tail" - Has a squared off trunk and Spica mechanical FI. Earlier ones have nice looking chrome bumpers, later ones have black crash bumpers.
    Series 3 82-89: Bosch Injected. Has Bosch EFI and a little rubber "ducktail" spoiler.
    Series 4 90-94: Newer Bosch FI, very smooth looking body effects, Automatic available.

-Jason
  • checkmecheckme Posts: 73
    I thought the Cricket was made by Mitsubishi. They reviewed it on "Car and Track" about three months ago on Speedvision. "Car and Track" is an early 70's TV show. Speedvision aires old episodes daily at 6:30 a.m. P.S.T..
    Excellent try, but here is the actual breakdown of Alfa Spider years:

Series 1: 1966-71
    Series 2: 1971-82
    Series 3: 1983-90
    Series 4: 1991-93 (no '94s)
    ...in England by Chrysler's Rootes Group, (now defunct). It was known as a Hillman Avenger in the UK. The Dodge Colt, which debuted around 1970, was made by Mitsubishi. Indifferent build-quality of the Cricket kept sales low.
    That indifferent quality also contributed to the demise of British automobiles in the U.S.
  • yamanyaman Posts: 113
    About a year or so ago I saw a 1960ish Plymouth Barracuda in the parking lot of a home depot.Back in the late 60's my sister bought one (her first car).Hadn't seen one in I guess 25 years or so.Beautiful car
  • jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    '70 and '90 were transition years, meaning you could find both series I and II spiders in '70 and you could find series 3 and 4 spiders in '90. Even the some of the old style '90 spiders had the Motronic FI. And yes, there were Spiders sold in the US titled as '94 models. Don't know what book you're reading, but Alfas don't necessarily go by the book.

-Jason
  • I was going to say - i was pretty sure they had a 94 Spider.
    Yeah, but the book I read stated that Alfa stopped building the Spider in April 1993. Probably those last ones were sold as '94s.
  • They still build the Spider.. I saw several in Italy.