Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• alfoxalfox Posts: 716
    I called the dealership and was told that the Bora was indeed built for the Germany market. It's an 01 2.0L that was bought there by an American GI and driven in Europe for 2 years. When he transfered home he had it modified for US licensing. I was wrong on the mileage - it has 36k on it. Salesman didn't know the asking price, and I didn't ask him to go find it since I was not a buyer.
  • It's sort of rare to find a Bora in germany as it is... I think they old sell about 30,000 of them per year in Germany and 15,000 in UK. They sell about 10 times as many Golfs in the same year.
  • odmanodman Posts: 309
    I vaguely recall that the LaForza was powered by 5.8 litre Ford V8s.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    The previous poster was correct:

http://www.laforza.com/specs.html
    "Equipped with a 302/5.0 Liter 340 HP “Supercharged” Fuel Injected Ford engine coupled with a Ford electronic four-speed automatic transmission..."

Read down on the page: Skip Braden, General Manager of Laforza, tells us that "During the Laforza's 35-mph crash test the Laforza is the only vehicle to ever crash through the barrier."
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,687
    It's a little light for a 5200 lb tank. What do you think of the brag about "crashing through the barrier?"

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

I think it's an awesome marketing tool for their idiot target market.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    ...Pontiac Fieros? I saw an early 4 cyl one in good condition on the road the other day, and it made me realize that you don't see them as often as you used to. I've always liked them, if only for the idea of a domestic car company building a mid-engined two-seater. Are they becoming rare, or is it just me?
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,687
    but I can tell you that people who are knowledgeable about cars and people who don't give a fig about cars otherwise are hanging on to them like they were jewels or something.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    They're famous for that; although that may not be their most famous problem, all of them seem to go into that mode sooner or later.
    Toyota was able to make it more refined and more reliable.

I don't remember hearing anyone accuse the 2.5 wheezer of being able to get up and go. By the time it got a V-6 it only got heavier, more cladding (really? a Pontiac with cladding?nahhhhh) and pricey.
  • spin360spin360 Posts: 8
    I parked next to a grey "Ram 500" today. Thats what the chrome lettering said on the side anyways. It looked like a normal 2002 Dodge Ram, but had manufacturer plates, and a ram air intake on the hood with some pretty large rims. (at least 20") About two weeks ago, I saw a Holden Monaro (complete with right hand drive and mfg plate) on the road.
  • alfoxalfox Posts: 716
    mid-60's Cougar that did the one-headlight-up thing. Actually, it used to close one all by itself every once in a while, and then re-open it a few seconds later. I always wondered if people thought my car was winking at them. Turns out they were held open by vacuum! Now there's a bright design!

It closed both of them at the same time one night on a dark back road - scared the bejesus outta me, LOL! I wouldn't drive it again after that.
  • checkmecheckme Posts: 73
    I saw a '74 Opel Manta today.

BTW, if you are ever in California, the In-n'-Out Burger on Atlantic Avenue in Pasadena is THE place to go to see exotic cars. I have seen everything from a 2002 Ferrari to a Ford Model A there. There is no logical reason for this- no car show is held there, and it's not known as a place to go to with your exotic car, or anything...there are just always exotic cars there. I see a new one every Saturday afternoon.
  • speedshiftspeedshift Posts: 1,598
    The service writer at the local Pontiac dealer has a Fiero he made out of spare parts. IIRC the Fiero's most serious problem was that its front and rear suspensions came from different cars and weren't on speaking terms.
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    I see Fieros not too often, but often enough, here in the Detroit area. Great idea with typical GM execution of good idea. Okay, back to our Sunfire/Vibe/Aztek/Montana "sports car" discussion... Driving Excitement! yeah...

Vero hasn't been to California since 1988. But he hears that Pasadena also has good-looking females.
  • Pasadena is also a large city.

Anyway, in Round Rock yesterday, in the parking lot of a Home Depot, I spotted a Mazda GLC with the badge "Familia" on it, so it was a Mazda Familia. I don't know if this is from Mexico, but I know Familias are what that line was called in Europe and Japan. Since GLC stood for Good Little Car or something insipid like that, perhaps they felt it was not an appropriate acronym for non-English markets.
    An old-school Mazda sedan?

There were a couple Subaru DLs @ Ann Arbor Subaru and Dunning Toyota (which owns Ann Arbor Subaru) yesterday. Old school.
  • It was a hatchback,
    Pasadena is also a large city.

Really? It's pretty quiet for a town that sits in LA's shadow. I always get the impression that it's more of a mini-city with a classic downtown area.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    Has been generating quite a bit of commotion in Urban Design/architectural circles. Apparently, the city did an excellent job converting a dead central area into a very dynamic mixture of multifamily-residences, shopping, commercial and entertainment all together.

Some of the sillier pundits are calling it the New Urbanism. But even the more staid critics say that what Passaden is doing can serve as model for Southern California and other edge Cities in the South and Southwest.
  • checkmecheckme Posts: 73
    Pasadena is an LA suburb. 60 or 70 years ago, it was a stand-alone city, but today it's a suburb. However, maltb's description- "mini-city" is also accurate. Pasadena is a suburb in that it does not really have an independent industrial base or anything- most people who live there work elsewhere. However, it is also a mini-city in that it is very diverse. Pasadena has rich and poor neighborhoods. Most other LA suburbs, by contrast, are far more homogeneous. LA in general is very diverse, though, which is one of the things I really love about living here. Everything is very integrated.

Pasadena is about 10 minutes from downtown LA. It has a population of about 120,000. It's a good place to see rare older cars, too, since it does have a sizeable population of wealthy people. If you want to see classic cars in good conditon, Pasadena is the place to go. If you want to see brand-new exotic cars, there's no better place than Beverly Hills.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Posts: 464
    Either you're really excited about Pasadena (posting the info twice) or you're an urban designer or architect. :)

Back on topic, I saw a Sunbeam(?) Alpine driving through a small town this weekend. An old British, convertible in really good shape.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    Sorry about that!! My connection has been acting odd all day. I am excited to hear about changes for the better in the LA area, but not that excited. As you can see, I deleted the repeat.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    Matt, I had one in the summer of '88 (an '81 5-speed hatch), it actually was a great little car, especially in comparison to most of the other cars built at that time.
  • Then why for only one summer?
  • lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    I saw one here today in Dallas, Black with the top down. Driver with a big smile.. Wonder if August is mating season for them, or if we saw the same one.
  • Are "y'all" both from Dallas?

In Dallas, I saw an Audi A3. On the SMU campus
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    ...wasn't actually my car, it belonged to my mom's friend's daughter (follow?), who was away all Summer. So I boged her GLC. I really like that it used hardly any gas.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Posts: 464
    Mine was in Wisconsin and was red. The top was down and the driver was smiling, but from the looks of him he very well could have been lost. :)

They aren't very big, sort of like a June bug with wheels (at least to a semi).

There is a guy here in Madison that drives an old Citroen "pick-up truck". I don't think you could carry much more than a bushel of apples in the darn thing, especially on the bicycle size tires that it has. I'll try and get a model the next time I see it.
    Saw a black third-gen (1993-1995) RX-7 today. Usually, I see that red one around Ann Arbor, but there's his archrival too, it seems!