Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    ...since I've had so many, though Andre has had more than a few as well.

Vero, not trying to disregard what you said, it's just that I find it hard to believe an eleven-year-old mass produced Japanese sports coupe is 'rare', even in flag waving Michigan. I saw one today, puttering down Sheffield Avenue (5-speed hatch with bad exhaust, among other things). I'm guessing the 240SX is about as reliable as any other Nissan with the 140hp 2 liter engine (which also included the Stanza, Altima and NX2000, IIRC), which is to say pretty good.

Um, I saw a light yellow Triumph TR6, being chased by an Imperial 4-door hardtop, and they drove past a Rambler Ambassador SST two-door hardtop, on an episode of 'The Rookies' (circa 1973) I watched today on TV Land, it's on at 1:00 Central every day.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,069
    I had almost forgotten about the 60 Special that Caddy tried to re-introduce in the 80's. From what I've been able to find out, it first came out in 1986. It was created by giving the Fleetwood d'Elegance sedan a 5" wheelbase stretch, to 115.8". In the back, they added a few features such as rear passenger compartment footrests, like what a lot of cars had in the old days and a rear overhead console. ABS was also standard, and so was a full vinyl top.

Buyers tended to complain about these shrunken '85-88 C-body Cadillacs, that they weren't big enough to be a "real" Cadillac, so the 60 Special was a quick way to make the car look more "important". For 1989, all the sedans...DeVille and Fleetwood, were bumped up to a 113.8" wheelbase, and overall length was up to around 205". On the previous model, it was only 195". Still nowhere near the old C-body's 221", but it helped a little. By this time though, I don't think the 60 Special was on a longer wheelbase anymore. The pictures I've seen of the thing on the web do show it with some pretty hideous fender skirts that made it look more umm...distinctive!

IIRC, the original Cadillac 60 Special debuted in 1939, and was very modern for the time. It had a very wide, uprigtht, almost early-50's looking body, with no running boards. The rear and front-end were still typical '30's, with separate fenders and such.

In later years, on up through 1976, Fleetwoods and 60 Specials (I don't think the 60 Special name made it all the way to '76 though) were a bit longer and more plush than the cheaper DeVilles. I think the 60 Special was also always a sedan, and usually it was a pillared sedan, which limits its popularity somewhat as a classic car, as most people want hardtops and convertibles.

Back in college, I found a '66 for sale at, of all places, a car dealer that specialized in foreign used cars. I took it for a spin...that sucker was a nice car! 8 power window buttons on the door panel (the vent panes, front and rear, were all power as well), and in immaculate condition. I think they wanted something like $2800 for it. If I had a place to keep it, I would've snatched it up. This thing was too nice to be kept outside, and almost DEMANDED to be garaged.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Yes, the 1989-93 Fleetwoods with the hideous fender skirts remind me of the whale Caprice's.
    ...I always thought the Fleetwood of that era was about as close to a 'proper' Cadillac as you could get back then. I do like fender skirts in general, on the right car, though they add another dimension of PIA to changing a tire.
  • pemleypemley Posts: 3
    Maybe it's only in Canada but they're a dime a dozen up here. Lot's of Loyale around still too. They're really popular with the snowboarders cause they're cheaper, 4 wheel drive and a wagon
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    ...I saw a red Honda Insight on the PA Turnpike. They're quite rare around here. Guess what? I finally saw my first G35 - a black one in Ambler, PA. Front looks good, the taillights are strange.
  • I've never seen an Insight on the road, but I've seen several Prius's and Civic Hybrids. It wouldn't surprise me if Honda dropped the Insight in favor of the Civic Hybrid.
    ...on the road about a month ago. Believe it or not, they're even more uncommon than the Insight. I've seen at least three of them.
  • kw_carmankw_carman Posts: 114
    I don't see many Insights around here, but Prui are more common. The first Pruis I saw up close and personal was an ugly periwinkle one at the Toyota dealer. I wouldn't be suprised if it was still sitting there.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,069
    ...but then again there are a lot of nerds where I work, so I guess that skews the statistics :-P

I've only seen one Civic hybrid so far, although they don't stick out like the Prius and Insight do, so I've probably seen more. This one's a really nice looking Seafoam green that kinda reminds me of my old '82 Cutlass Supreme.
  • Priuses are rather common here, in fact, it's fairly reasonable to see one on a daily basis. The Insight, maybe once or twice a week. I don't know what the Civic hybrid looks like as opposed to a reg Civic...so who knows how many I have seen.

I saw a late 80's Caprice estate wagon with wood paneling at a stoplight on the way to work today. Uglee! (and rare in these parts, too)
  • You have to look closely to spot a Civic Hybrid. It has a slightly different grille than a regular Civic, plus unique (to the Hybrid) alloy wheels, and a tiny spoiler on the trunk lid.
    ...I've seen a hybrid Civic. Is there any special badging to distinguish it from other Civics? Any pictures of a hybrid Civic out there?
  • Lemko - you might have already seen one and not even noticed. It's a very subtle difference. I think the badge on the rear of the car says 'Hybrid', plus the minor details I explained above. The interior has some differences,too. Edmunds has pictures if you go to Honda under New Vehicles.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,688
    In like new condition. Very strange that someone would bother keeping one of those lumps in such good shape.

This was the one based on the Omni 2-dr.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• That reminds me - I saw an old Rabbit 'pickup' last week.
    ...speaking of VW pickups, has anybody seen the VW pickup based on the microbus?
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I see Kombis every once in a while out here: standard and crew-cabs. I worked with a guy who did a really nice restoration on a crew-cab Kombi. He even sewed a new canvas top for the back complete with teak bows. He would show it at the various VW events and generally place well.
  • fujb1fujb1 Posts: 2
    ...in Beverly Hills. Funny to see such an eyesore among the typical transportation used there. I also watched obviously wealthy folks shop on Rodeo Drive, have the Rolls Royce Park Ward door kept open by their chauffeur, and drive away followed by three body guards in what seemed to be a Mercury Marauder - I didn't know they were out yet.

I love the typical Italian three-wheelers which are used to haul vegetables and fruit to market, just don't take corners too fast...
  • checkmecheckme Posts: 73
    AMC eagle- a woodie- on the drive into work today.
  • I saw an Alfa 164 on the road today. Not really that rare, but not that common, either.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,350
    Why, there's one in my driveway! I must put this in my rare bird notebook!

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    a new (or nearly so) Ferrari 550 Maranello in grey? Yeah, not exactly an obscure vehicle, but rare as hens teeth aroung here. Certainly drool-inducing, but I'm not entirely won over by the styling - the hood scoop does nothing for me. Let me try driving one for a week or so and I might change my mind ;-)

-Jason
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    Today I was driving on university drive in Palo Alto, and in the course of 5 blocks I saw:

A black S600,

silver S55(parked next to the S600 no less!),

Nissan Skyline GT-R(I couldnt tell if it is R33 or R34, my eyes arent as well trained as some),

Alfa Romeo 164LS(yep, the higher trim model),

and a black BMW 850. And that was just in 5 blocks downtown!

Later in the day I saw a new Porsche 911 turbo, a Maserati Quattroporte, a new SL500, and Datsun 1600 roadster!
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    BTW...I saw a second styling generation Q45 today, right around the time I saw the Maserati Quattroporte. Like a 95 or so.

Has anyone ever noticed the resemblance? It looks like that generation Q45 is a modern day continuation of the old Quattroporte. I mean, near perfect proportion matching, ride height, greenhouse shape...EVERYTHING. Well, except the Q45 had mounds better fit and finish and visible quality than the nearly 2 decade old Maserati.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    So the Maserati really was that bad in quality in its heyday?
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    wishnhigh, I'll let you answer jrosas on that.

Bet I can beat your Ace of Cards: today I saw five Chevrolets, five Pontiacs, five Oldsmobiles, five Buicks, and five Cadillacs, and I didn't even have to travel five blocks... I just stood at the side of the road and watched Detroit Mediocrity on vacation! >;p

Sigh, Vero needs a trip to California for Christmas or something. >:(

Still think that DMC was cool, though! But you said GT-R, eh? Man.
    I've never seen a newish Maserati Quattroporte, only an '80s model (there's a circa-83 sitting on the street in my 'hood, it's kind of a mess). Please post a link if you can find a picture.
  • kw_carmankw_carman Posts: 114
    I wouldn't mind going ton California just to watch cars!

Here's a car I totally forgot about...the Cadillac Allante... I didn't see this particular one on the road, but in a local used car flier (called Auto Mart here). It was a '91, low miles (so they say), and was $11k.

Looking at them on the road, they're as bland as an older Camcord, just with a convertible top.
    ...I could sit on the curb and watch Japanese cars, but then I'd fall asleep from boredom!

Anyway, California would probably be the best place to go to look for the first Maybach 62 on the streets. The car was built with Hollywood types in mind. The last time I was in Los Angeles I noticed that Mercedes S-Classes and Rolls-Royces were as common as Chevrolets and Fords in Philadelphia.