Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 4,159
    The 56 Ford was a nice IP. Some of the mid 50's Mopars like De Soto also had good looking interiors and IP's, as did Buick and Olds. I wish they'd bring those back. Most dashboards are really boring today. But heck, I liked the looks of old jukeboxes too, but they haven't made a 45rpm record for what, a decade or two!
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,148
    ...spotted a 1988 Acura Legend sedan on Harbison Avenue near Torresdale in NW Philly. That car looks downright petite compared to today's Hondas and Acuras.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,568
    Plenty of those still around Seattle. The coupe was a fairly nice design, they really show how cars have bloated, too.

On the once common theme, this morning I saw an 86-91 Supra turbo, and a Ciera woody.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,287
    not in person, but on last night's new episode of chasing classic cars.

a 1978 (or 79) Benz 240D. Strippo, with wind up windows and no RH outside mirror (can't believe by then MB even made it that way).

kicker is, it had 20K original on the clock, and the damned thing looked brand new. No dents/dings, not a speck of rust (in CT of all places), and the trunk looked like it was never opened. Even the tire tools were in the original plastic, never opened.

I know it is worthless as a usable car, but as a time warp piece, I doubt you will ever find another like it.

also had a '29 Pierce-Arrow barn find. totally original, but not in a good way, after spending 50 years locked in a garage! Needed a total resto, but again, the original stuff was on there.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• texasestexases Posts: 5,534
    I'd like to hear from CCC guy how things are today in CT/NY/NJ et al., I imagine a number of classics have been damaged :(
    he might not be too bad. Portland is pretty far east and in the middle. His stuff I am sure was all inside!

could be quite a few classics from close to the shore though that are going to need some work.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited October 2012
    I saw that, great find. It was also an automatic, so even less useful as an everyday car - just too slow. 240D was the lowest model sold in NA that year, not surprising it was so sparsely equipped. W123s have a cult around them now, one like that in nice colors with that mileage will easily go past 10K, and judging by the prices on Wayne's dealer site, he will ask high market for it.

The Pierce Arrow was charming in its decayed state, reminded me of the Lincoln from "The Money Pit". I'd get it mechanically sound, maybe clean off the bad grime, and drive it as-is. Original cars like that are desirable now, patina is king.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,549
    The 240D would be an okay city car---probably pretty economical. I'd offer $4K for it if it's that nice.

The Pierce-Arrow is probably not worth restoring--at best, a break-even proposition if say it were the more desirable 4 passenger convertible coupe.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,618
    3 Ford Probes in about 15 minutes.
    from the commentary on the show, I believe Wayne is thinking more like 20K for the Benz, since it is a museum piece.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,534
    "Museum of the unused cheapo"...
    I thought I caught a 20K claim too. Of course, he has a 235K 190SL on his website.
    That's not going to happen, E-V-E-R. I don't know where people get the idea that car museums have money to spend, especially foolishly.

Prices for old cars are set by just one group of individuals, who have sole jurisdiction and complete authority to dictate these prices...they are called BUYERS.

Not sellers, not appraisers, not club members, not museums.

and you need MANY buyers to agree on the price....just one sale doesn't cut it, because there are always imprudent people with too much money.

I wasn't implying that a museum would buy it. Just that he seemed to feel it would fetch a lot of money because it was good enough to be in one.

ah, okay. Still, a rather odd idea that a car this new and this common would be in a Museum. It would have to be a very modest museum indeed.

Or the MB Museum - but they already seem to have plenty of nice "youngtimers". I'd say it is closer to a ~10K car than 20K. If you could find a mint 20K mile original W123 for 4K, it wouldn't last long on the market...I might even buy it.
    When my family first moved into the neighborhood back in 1969, the grocer next door had a huge garage where the folks with the nicer cars kept their rides. One of the cars was a 1936 Auburn Speedster. One day, somebody came for it and I haven't seen it in over 40 years. I wonder what became of it?
    Gee I don't know about that...this is such a weak-driving car---0-60 in 28 seconds! I think anyone who paid $10K for one would soon regret it, after the first flush---"oh, it's not a 300SD!"

but, you know, buy what you like and be happy. :)

edited November 2012
    There's a cult. Logic flies out the window.

I'd certainly rather have a 300 Turbodiesel, or a W126 300SD. 10K for a mint 20K mile 300SD wouldn't be insane, IMO.
  • jljacjljac Posts: 649
    If you want to locate an Auburn, the car is probably in the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club http://www.acdclub.org/ Here is a nice video about those cars. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmhS8Za6yw.m There are many other videos at that page. You might see it.
    This 220D cult must be a very secret organization. I've seen all kinds of car cult loonies, but never one for that car. The 300SD, most certainly. Citroens, yes. Even Geo Metros!

A 220D is literally DANGEROUS to drive on a modern road--it's like a Model T, only noisier :P

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    A 220D is literally DANGEROUS to drive on a modern road

I've said it before .. my folks owned a 220D (automatic!) back in the 80's.

Oh. My. Gawd. 0-60 could be timed with a sundial.

Solid as a rock, however.

I got them vanity plates for them as a Christmas gift:

REAL SLO
    It was a 240D, and W123s have a big following, especially the wagons.

Could be worse, imagine a fintail or ponton diesel. Those things probably can't hit 70mph.
    Yes but those are wagons---an entirely different animal. The 240D is really wretched to drive. The vibration alone just wears you down.

I fail to see the charm.

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,333
    Could be worse, imagine a fintail or ponton diesel. Those things probably can't hit 70mph.

You are probably right. In the mid-'60s my mother's cousin, who lives in Northern California, drove his 190D fintail up to visit us in the Seattle area. I didn't think much about it at the time but in retrospect I can't imagine it. The car was built like a brick s**thouse though. Even in my mid-teens that impressed me.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    Following an '60's T-Bird tonight, copper color 4-door with suicide doors. Still had what looked like origininal dealer sticker and an old AAA sticker on the rear bumper. When I was farther back and saw the tailights across the back I thought it was an old St. Regis. Now that's obscure, haven't seen one in years (other than Andre's of course.)
    Must've been a 1967-71 T-Bird if it had the suicide doors. Those were the only years the 4-door Bird was produced. I liked how the designers repeated the landau bar motif on the inside of the C-pillar when one looks into the interior.
    edited November 2012
    Simple, unkillable, agricultural - some like that kind of thing.

I am in the Fatherland right now, and there are still lowline W124 diesel taxis in service.
    If she stuck to the right lane or back roads, she was probably ok. Those cars were built like tanks, especially in areas immune to rust.

I am away from home now, in the land of weirdo cars. There's a Dacia Logan wagon parked in front of my hotel. Saw a hardtop MB Adenauer wedding car, a 70s 911, pristine 900 turbo, Lancia Dedra (I think), much unloved mid 90s Scorpio, Renault 19 convertible, and an 80s looking Honda Africa Twin.
    yeah I kinda get that--sort of like the folks who collect 40s pickup trucks....