Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    No blind spots in those babies, lemko!

"First By Far With a Postwar Car" was their slogan that year. My brother-in-law has a '49 Studebaker convertible, light yellow and a very nice car. He married into the family about five years ago and I think I reignited his long-buried appreciation of Studebakers! Not sure that's a good thing or not. ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,598
    edited December 2012
    They have it at a local coffee shop... Really nice day today, so a lot of cars out..

Mid-80s Porsche 911 turbo
    Two Acura NSXs
    3 Ferraris.. 328 and a Testarossa
    2 Porsche Spyder replicas
    1 Shelby Cobra 427 replica
    New BMW 1M coupe
    Late '70s Suzuki GS550 (4-cyl)
    2 mid-90s Toyota Supra Turbos
    Late model Porsche 928 S4
    BMW 2002
    Lots of Subarus- WRX, STi, STi converted Forester
    BMW E39 M5
    63 Vette convertible
    Audi S4 (1st gen)
    '67 Mustang fastback
    Vector something or other (Lambo-looking monster)
    DeTomaso Pantera
    Newer Maserati coupe
    Porsche 356C

'06 BMW 330Ci ZHP.... ;)

Not a bad line-up for 10 AM

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,968
    That is a neat shot. Almost looks like it could be out of a period-piece movie.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,707
    A Vector?? That takes the cake.

Cars and coffee kind of thing? I just wish such things existed around here.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,835
    there's nary a car on that list I don't like, except maybe the Shelby 427 replica---these cars are SO much nicer with a 289 or 302.

Thanks, andre.
    edited December 2012
    I have a hard time remembering the ones I don't like.... that's why the list is so good....

Hot rods and Model A pickups don't really do it for me (but those were there, too)..

BMW 850i
    Clapped out Jetta from the '90s..
    Early '80s VW pickup (that one is actually cool)
    Alfa Romeo Milano :(

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,683
    Here in the Northeast, the summer cars are put away.
    A Cruise-In would consist of a bunch of pickups with mounted plow blades. ;)
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    1974 Ford Pinto Squire in forest green metallic and the requisite wood grain paneling. It was quite rusty and a bit of a hooptie, but to even see a survivor in any condition is quite amazing.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,452
    Was out driving with my daughter today (yet another practice session parallel parking. I think she can now teach the other kids how to do it!)

while on some local streets, an early (pre-Bumper) Gremlin passed by, then returned a few minutes later. Had a V8 (that I could hear) and I think a stick. blue. Needed paint, but body looked sound with no rust noticed.

Told my daughter that I wanted it bad. She, as usual, thought I was nuts!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

63 and partly cloudy, yesterday... pretty nice weather for the first of December in Cincinnati..

• berriberri Posts: 4,189
    I remember as a teenager having some 60+ weather one January in Chicago quickly followed by the worst blizzard in it's history - but relax!
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,452
    Maybe I don't need to move south.

I was outside today mowing the lawn (still growing!) in a tee shirt. In December. just not right.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    63 and partly cloudy, yesterday... pretty nice weather for the first of December in Cincinnati..

Was 68 yesterday here in Denver ... we need some rain or snow. Ski resorts are struggling, and the lack of precip plus high winds makes for ripe fire conditions.

Oh, wait ... there is a fire burning in Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park; it started in early October and is still going.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,179
    >They have it at a local coffee shop... Really nice day today, so a lot of cars out..

Will they be back next Saturday for the cruise? Forcast should be definitely colder in this area. ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited December 2012
    Alfa Romeo Milano

Still running? Impossible. ;)

Those were cool, though.

Don't those have aircraft style brakes?
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,573
    There's a Milano in a driveway on my way to work. Can't say if it runs, though...

What are 'aircraft style brakes'?
    A guy I used to work with owned one, and shared some battle stories.

He's still in this building so I'll have to ask him for more details about that. Must be the type of mechanism used.

I should also find out what he's driving nowadays, I'm sure something eccentric.
    Saw a red W113 "pagoda" SL zooming down 405 in the fast lane today.
  • omarmanomarman Posts: 705
    What are 'aircraft style brakes'?
    anti lock brakes? :confuse:
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,573
    Beats me. Only thing I know about aircraft brakes is that most all are disk brakes, but that's nothing unusual on a car, even by the late 60s.
    Saw a Merkur Scorpio this afternoon, not many of those still on the road. Also a nice light tan W123 sedan.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,683
    2 more Saab 9000's today, a dark green and a beige/tan one.
    Also, a mid 70's F150 with a rattle can turquoise/white paint job.
    I think the guy driving it is an owner or mechanic at the local Alfa repair shop.... (obviously, the only one in town..)

E-mailed my Alfa buddy to elaborate on what he said, but he's out of the office until the 11th. Hopefully he gets the message on his smart phone sooner than that.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    ...really nice orange-red Opel GT on Oxford Avenue near Shelmire in NE Philly.
    1986 900 Turbo (recessed lights, CHMSL - one year style), blue, looked to be in decent shape. 1986 Camry (angular body, CHMSL - one year style), looked to be in decent shape. Early 80s Tercel, looked to be in decent shape. That's the west coast.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    edited December 2012
    CHMSL

I don't know if its a good thing or not that I actually knew that stood for Center High Mounted Stop Light ;)

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• omarmanomarman Posts: 705
    All I could imagine was that the Alfa driver was either talking about ABS or thrust reverser buckets! :D