Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• omarmanomarman Posts: 697
    Funny! I was just going to ask.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,587
    We are geeks :shades:
  • I have to tell the story...1973...I'm about to buy my first new car(FIRST car was a '60 Stude Lark VIII ! 10 years old when I got it). Back to MY new car at the Mercury dealership. MOM couldn't get the idea of a silver car. "Why would ANYone want a SILVER car???" She was thinking chrome, not silver color :blush: . Anyway, we walk into the dealership and she points to a white car on the showroom floor..."Why can't you get a WHITE car?...like THAT one?" The 'white' car was a de Tomasso Pantera...$9999.00 :surprise: Next to my $2300 Mercury Capri(made in Germany back then), that Pantera might as well have cost a million bucks! :(
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,294
    I thought it was obvious what it stood for. You mean there are people that did not?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,621
    I saw a wide body Cobra yesterday, probably a clone, a company (ERA) the next town over, makes them.
    It sounded good as it drove by, even though I had the windows up.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,576
    yep Cobra clones are a dime a dozen and really cheap to buy these days. Of course, not all clones are created equal. Buying a clone that someone put together in his garage is..well...worrisome.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,536
    Does this count? Saw one this morning:
    That one has plates from Wolfsburg Germany, too. A surprising amount of those sold in Europe.

I don't know if I have ever noticed the continental kit before - around here, fake wood paneling and stick on flames were the rage.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,621
    I saw one with some huge flame decals on it today!
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    I just wanted to bring your attention to this pristine example of a later W123:

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/11/29/bat-exclusive-69k-mile-4-speed-1983-mercedes- -benz-240d/

This has probably got to be the lowest-mileage 240D I've ever seen. I have driven two of them, but they were both automatics, and they had to be some of the slowest vehicles I've had the pleasure of driving. I had the accelerator down halfway expecting it to accelerate modestly, and I wasn't surprised. :)
    I saw that one. Lovely car, fantastic color (only offered for a few years IIRC), condition looks amazing. But you'd need to live in a small town to be able to enjoy it. I think the manual only helps so much in slowly gaining momentum as mopeds and sportier bicycles whizz by :shades:
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,294
    I think the one that was on chasing classic cars recently (orange? or was it also this blue?) had about 1/2 as many miles and was a total time warper.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

That's not the Chasing Classic Cars one - that one was indeed an orangey red IIRC, and Wayne found it himself. I think it was a few years older too. 1983 was the final year for the 240D here, which is probably special to an insane slow diesel nut.
  • Pretty sure that one is owned by Weird Harold of Bill Cosby's early years. :D
    Today, a mint preserved Capri would be more unusual than a Pantera. Can't remember the last time I saw one.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,017
    Exactly.. I saw a Pantera, last Saturday...

Haven't seen a Capri, since the mid-'80s..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    We are geeks

Especially when we pronounce it aloud: "CHIM-sill".

:D
    It's kind of like a PRNDL :shades:
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 771
    "Prindle!"

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

Wasn't there some episode of 'Green Acres' where the Gabor sister went on about the 'Prindle'? So now I'm and OLD geek...
    edited December 2012
    I remember it from "Mama's Family"...not old yet, just getting there :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    So funny. Kids who learn to drive today won't get the same satisfaction from "PRND7654321L".

:D
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,906
    Yeah, it was the Mama's Family episode where Frannie (Rue McClanahan) tried to teach Mama (Vicki Lawrence) how to drive, in her '73-74 Duster. At first Frannie goes on about the difference between a gas pedal and a brake pedal (wonder if that was a period jab at the Audi 5000?), and Mama gets annoyed and says "Tell me something I don't know! Like, what's a Prindle?"

Ultimately, she gets Frannies Duster wedged between a '75-78 or so Olds Toronado and, I think, a Datsun or Toyota pickup, and starts complaining "I need a 'S' for Sideways!"

After that, her daughter Ellen (Betty White) took her out to drive in her "Nice, safe Seville...it practically drives itself!" Mama ends up wrecking it. Off-screen, of course, as Mama's Family didn't have that kind of budget. In fact, in one episode, Betty White actually drove her own personal Seville!

Oh, not to be too anal, but I think a '73-74 Duster's shift quadrant would have actually read PRND21. At least, that's what it was on my '68 and '69 Darts.
    I'll somewhat shamefully admit I liked/like that show. Part of it because it is from when I was a kid and I remember watching it with my family...and because it does have some funny bits. Dopey simple humor, not much left anymore.

I also remember when Mama bought a used car from a stereotypical salesman - a blue 73-74 Nova I think, and it had some kind of bad valvetrain noise.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,149
    On my 1979 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency it was PRNDSL.
    Fintail is PR0432 - 1st is only accessible by flooring it and depressing a button under the pedal.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,906
    I have to confess that Mama's Family, at least the original NBC run, is one of my favorite shows! I just loved the chemistry of Vicki Lawrence, Rue McClanahan, and Betty White, and Carol Burnette, the few times she was on it. I pretty much grew up with that show, so I guess it does take me back to my childhood as well...and in some ways I could relate to it, as my grandmother was always a strong part of our family, rather than someone that you just saw on holidays.

And yup, Mama had a blue '73-74 Nova. The whole family piled in for its inaugural joy ride, and after about 100 feet or so everything pretty much fell apart.

There was one episode where they showed Vinton's truck, too. IIRC, it was a Chevy LUV, but I could be wrong. And the one episode where they showed Betty White's Seville, it was a pale green '77 or so model.
    edited December 2012
    Here's the dialog from the 'Green Acres' episode:

Tom Blackwell: (teaching Lisa how to drive) Do you know what these are? (pointing to the gear shift) P-R-N-D-L.
    Lisa: Oh yes. that's a pernundel. My husband has a pernundel on his car, too.

Amazing what one can look up...
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Amazing what one can look up...

Yep, and I'm sure some quick browsing on You Tube would yield a clip of the episode.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse