Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,345
    I like some old trucks too. A lot of 50s models are cool, I like the mid 60s Ford trucks, and 70s era GM trucks can be nice, if they are a loaded edition. The convertible Blazers are pretty cool, and the Jeep variants of the era are nice too. Real trucks and SUVs, their lack of intentional style almost makes them stylish in a way.

Or maybe I just like the eye catching convertible + targa Blazer from "Earthquake"

A big white 75-78 or so NYer 4 door HT just drove by. Saw the mean sounding 72 T-Bird I see now and then drive by not long ago, too.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,757
    edited January 2013
    I mentioned earlier that there were some cars for bid shown in "barn-found" condition. It seems the Lancia Aurelia B24 Spider America went for a staggering $803,000!

Wow! I'm really fond of nice Aurelias (I have a scale diecast of a a Spider America) but I don't see how one in that condition could possibly be worth so much. What do you think Shifty?

link

PS- Porsche 356s were going for good money (+$100K). Here's the Auction results.. My favorite 356 was the "Convertible D" (listed by Gooding as a " 1960 356B Roadster" (lot #46 $184,000).

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That'll buff right out. ;)
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,341
    Sure, and the headlight rims should be easy to locate. No problem.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,990
    edited January 2013
    I'm staggered by the price. It makes no sense, really, which is why we have to be careful of the results from one single hi-profile auction with two big egos in the room.

I would have thought you could buy this same car in local show quality for less money than that---perhaps $600K. Maybe a Pebble Beach restro would sell for $800K.

Given how rare the car is, I guess the motivating "engine" that drives such sales is that the bidder realizes that he/she may not see another one for sale for years. Whether that level of "I want" justifies paying 2X market value---well, what can you say? It's their money and they can do what they want with it.

I certainly don't think this car could sell 4 or 5 times in a row at this price (and remember, there's $80K in commissions in that price anyway) but I bet this result may bump up the values of existing Americas. (This car should not be confused with the similar but more plentiful B 24S convertible)

I've actually driven the B24S convertible and it felt remarkably modern and was extremely fun to race around in. I can see the appeal. This isn't a funky MGA--these Lancias of the 50s were little jewels. Even some of the metal castings would make you drool, they are so sculptured and artistic.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,043
    But that's the way the collector wants them. It's been called a backlash to the over restored vehicles that have better paint and panel gaps then when new.

Some say the car collector market has matured and like other antiques, collectors want original items with all the patina.

In any case, very few of these vehicles will ever see road under their own power.
    I think there's a bit of one-upsmanship going on with these highly original cars. If you can't outspend Ralph Lauren and his million-dollar-plus restorations, you can still "out-original" him.

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,208
    Ask the man who owned one! I had a 1975 Cadillac Sedan DeVille with the 500 cid (8.2 litre) V-8. I exerienced no problems with the engine itself, though I did have to rebuild the carburetor. I'd say the engine wasn't remotely as powerful as its size suggested and it was something of a guzzler, but no worse than a modern SUV.
    yeah the car was a bit of a slug, but once you got that mass rolling down the highway, and if you kept it in a straight line and didn't do anything sudden with brakes or steering, it was a pretty comfy ride. But by all means signal the steering department and talk things over long before you plan to exit the freeway. :P

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,677
    at least that Lancia is comething so unique you might not see another one for years.

so less shocking than seeing a 1970 Olds 442 convertible (W30) go for $330K (maybe 350?)

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• texasestexases Posts: 5,698
    "but no worse than a modern SUV. "

:surprise: I guess a Suburban, maybe...
    What was that Olds all about? Obviously not a normal car---celebrity owned? 700 original miles? There has to be a story behind it.

Last time I looked, a '70 Olds 442 convertible with W30 in Pebble Beach condition might pull $150K.

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,208
    ...beautiful white 1972 Oldsmobile 442 two door hardtop parked a few doors up from my house! Wow, who would leave such a nice car out on the street?
    edited January 2013
    I'd clean the grime off, maybe make it so you don't have to wash your hands after touching it ,and drive it like that. I like the patina and age.

But 800K? I'd rather have a gullwing.

Spotted this morning - DeLorean, same well-used looking C126 I saw several days ago, H3 pickup, and when putting the fintail in its new garage, saw another old car under a cover in a corner - I think it might be a Lotus Esprit.
    But 800K? I'd rather have a gullwing.

You're $1,050,000 shy if you want Clark Gable's gullwing, which sold for $1.85M.
    I could take a normal beater gullwing. I'd drive it, so I don't need it to be perfect. Those might be leaving the 6-figure world though, looks like the tax breaks given to the top few are being put to good use.
    beater gullwing

Is there such a thing? :shades:
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,152
    Well, just to use a rough comparison, a 1978 Lincoln Continental with the 460 was EPA-rated 11/17, and 13 combined. The Mark V with the 460 was rated slightly better, at 12/17, and 14 combined.

In contrast, a 2wd 2012 Suburban with the 6.0 (roughly 366 CID?) is rated 10/16, and 12 combined.

Sounds pretty close, at quick glance. However, the numbers they use nowadays are rounded downward in an attempt to reflect real-world driving. The numbers the EPA published from 1978-84 were the raw laboratory numbers. I've heard that the EPA actually started publishing estimates in 1975, but the downloadable tables on their website only go back to 1978.

Anyway, the Suburban's raw numbers? 12.7 city, 21.7 highway. 15.6142 combined.

Most Suburbans probably use the 5.3 V-8, which is rated at 15/21, and 17 combined. Raw numbers are 18.3 city, 29.4 highway, and 22.0455 combined.

Funny though, I could see someone taking one of those old 460 Lincolns, babying it along, and actually nursing 16-17 mpg out of it on the highway. I don't think any amount of nursing is going to get 29.4 out of a Suburban, unless you're drafting semi's or something!

My 2012 Ram Hemi is rated 14/20, and 17 combined, with raw numbers of 17 city, 27.1 highway, and 20.4256 combined. And again, I just couldn't see any way you could get 27.1 mpg on the highway. Or 17 in the city. My last fill up got me 12.34 mpg, in mostly local driving.

Yet, my '79 New Yorker, with its 360 2bbl, is rated something like 14/22, 17 combined. And I've actually managed to get close to 22 out of it from time to time.

I wonder if there was just something about older cars that would allow them to get close to the laboratory numbers, but with newer cars, it's harder to do, so that's why they started adjusting the numbers downward?
    It's all relative. There are some unrestored and older restoration cars out there. At a local show a few years ago, 6 or 8 gullwings showed up - one was an unusual kind of green gray, old paint with an old interior, I would have picked that one.
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 813
    Did it finally sell? When it left the block it was at 1.8M and did not meet the reserve.

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,379
    I used to think the nicest '70 4-4-2 convertible in the world could be had for $100K or so. The only explanation for one selling for $325K is two idiot but rich bidders trying to outdo each other and taking leave of their senses. That happens all the time at B-J. Sadly, every rust-bucket hack-job '70 Olds convertible will now be for sale for 6 figures.

I hate Barrett-Jackson now. It is such an off-putting display of nouveau-riche guys behaving badly.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

beater gullwing

Is there such a thing?

Not anymore but, when he was 14 race-driver to be, Sam Posey, convinced his mother to lend him the $2500 to buy a "second hand" 300SL.

I hate Barrett-Jackson now.

I wouldn't let Craig Jackson touch my car, let alone sell it. B-J is my least favorite auction, the cars at Gooding, Bonham's and Russo & Steele are just as nice.

Saw a 66-67 ElCamino, orange and loud; and a late 60s GM full size truck, original and still moving along.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,972
    He tried to sell his 'green hornet' Shelby, but the 1.9 million bid didn't make the reserve.
    They reached a deal later, it went for 1.85M.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,677
    I was watching with my son, and decided that it was really a scam. I think he put it in so they could promo the heck out of it, but had no intention of ever selling it.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• berriberri Posts: 4,275
    I hate Barrett-Jackson now

Speedvison coverage just seems top get worse as well. More and more diversions and BS, while less and less actual cars up for auction. It's getting worse than all the BS over 3 hours in NFL for maybe 15 minutes of actual action!
  • berriberri Posts: 4,275
    Scams and cons in an auction - surely you jest :D