Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It's just a wear and tear item. Change the spark plus at 30k, and just go ahead and change the plug wires while you're at it.

People just forget, and then complain, but it's scheduled maintenance.
    ·
  • fintailfintail Posts: 35,154
    Even my modern car has 100K mile plugs. Which is good, as there are 16 of them.
    ·
    We probably spend the same amount, 3 services vs 1. Funny.

And I only changed 12 plugs in that period. :D

I have to look up the interval on my NC Miata, could be longer now. I'm at 26k but it'll take me a while to hit 30k miles.
    ·
    An 8 quart synthetic oil change doesn't come cheap :shades:

Modern car is still fine on its original plugs. Fintail gets them every several years, much cheaper.
    ·
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,951
    I've had platinum-tipped 100K mile plugs in every new car I've owned since my '97 Cavalier. Shhh, don't tell anyone over on the GM Forum or they'll think it's some kind of insidious scheme.
    ·
    Yeah a buddy had a 911 and you do *not* want to know what he spent on oil changes.
    ·
    edited February 2013
    This was a '93, so before the 100k tune-up intervals became common.
    ·
    Oil change and checkup usually just noses past $100. But, needs it less than twice a year. A 15K mile service is a few hundred. Not too bad. On the other hand, tires and brakes are insanely expensive.
    ·
    edited February 2013
    I've got to believe that when GM was putting them in to the then-new '95 Cavalier, that was probably the first 100K mile spark-plug interval...or one of the first, and in a dirt-cheap car to boot.

GM was first to put ABS in everything too, even the lowest-end cars, but at some point in the mid '00's I guess the temptation to lower the price and meet competition that didn't have it as standard, became too great to overcome...unfortunately.
    ·
    Maybe the biggest 90s advancement - long service intervals. I remember when Ford went to that about 1996, lots of attention was given.
    ·
    That's why my Range Rover buddy now drives an Explorer.
    ·
    I remember both...they did pioneer the idea of low maintenance. I wonder how dealers felt, though.

Deleted ABS as standard was a mistake, but GM supposedly did it to compete with Kia on price. Bad idea, IMHO. They had more overhead so you just can't. Better to make cars that are worth more.
    ·
    Cool car, and a true Saab. Belongs in a Swedish museum.
    ·
    I am surprised at the bid, to be honest. You really can't drive it much as these things seem to wear hard, you'd also ruin the preservation if not careful. Also, repairs.

Whenever I see a 900 Turbo, I think of this underrated movie
    ·
    Good bet to lose money. Big.
    ·
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,288
    Whenever I see a 900 Turbo, I think of this underrated movie

You fintail is in a part of that clip, looks like same color as yours too lol

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg

·
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,288
    Maybe the oil spot is from another car as the Esprits are mid engined, unless this one was parked nose in before :confuse:

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg

·
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, I remember that fintail - it's a W110 or the very off chance of a W111 220b - single bumpers, small taillights. Color does look like mine.

Who says an Esprit would only leak from the engine? :shades:
    ·
    That mongrel '76 GT Kammback we discussed last week sold for $870.00--2 bidders, 3 bids.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-Chevy-Vega-GT-Wagon-/160968666258?pt=US_Cars- _Trucks&hash=item257a7aec92
    ·
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,375
    I hadn't seen that movie, but it's a riot.
    ·
    Lots of unobtanium parts there, no doubt.
    ·
    Sometimes I'm glad I was a kid in the 80s. There were some highlights.
    ·
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 34,063
    Yeah a buddy had a 911 and you do *not* want to know what he spent on oil changes.

My '84 911 (air-cooled) held 14 quarts.... but, only 11 came out in the change... $60 oil change in 1992...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

·
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,267
    My Dad had a black 1962 Beetle that the local mechanic ruined when he ground down the nuts and bolts so the S.A.E. tools would fit. An ex-girlfriend had a light blue 1972 Beetle that I remember nearly freezing to death while riding in it in the winter because the heater was inadequate.
    ·
    Somebody won a Vega on LMAD? He or she obviously got ZONKED! :P
    ·
    I remember that show! I remember a guy going upstage to start a Camaro, but it wouldn't.

I would've gone for the Impala myself! ;)
    ·
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,430
    Yeah, I've seen a couple Vegas as prize cars. I remember an earlier one that they said was worth about $2100, around 1972? Another episode had a '71 or '72 Coupe DeVille valued around $9000.

I also remember a later episode where they gave away a '76 Regal coupe (or could have been a Century) and they were boasting about its new, fuel-efficient V-6.

I haven't seen the Game Show Network in awhile now. I wonder if they still run those old repeats? I used to get a kick out of the Match Game.
    ·
    I wonder if they still run those old repeats? I used to get a kick out of the Match Game.

I remember the original Match Game in the '60's, and very much remember "Match Game '74", etc., in the '70's. They totally goofed off and it seemed like Gene Rayburn was a bit of a dirty old man! ;)
    ·
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I also remember a later episode where they gave away a '76 Regal coupe (or could have been a Century) and they were boasting about its new, fuel-efficient V-6.

Yeah, that couldn't move out of it own way.

Was watching an episode of Law and Order SVU last night and an early 90s RWD Buick Roadmaster was part of the plot. I got a kick out of the lawyer later in the show calling it a Buick Regal. I guess it just sounded more familar.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

·