Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,855
    edited February 2013
    Just about any domestic car with a decent size V8 and a four-speed gearbox is going to have collector car value.

3-soeed column shifters are like the Kiss of Death--probably the least favorite of all the optional types of transmission you could put in a car.

Even 4speed column shifters are preferred to 3 speed ones....I guess it's that clunky 1-2 shift that annoys everyone.

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    Do you remember the song "Sausalito Summer Night" from 1981?

"We left for Frisco in your Rambler. The radiator runnin' dry...."
    There's a large repair shop across from my workplace with cool art deco architecture that started out as a Studebaker dealer then became an AMC dealer when Studebaker went out of business in 1966. I believe it remained an AMC dealer until that company's demise in 1987. You can still see the stylized Rambler "R" on the door handles and tile mosaic floor.
    My Dad had a 1968 Javelin and my Uncle Daniel had a 1968 Rebel SST hardtop at the same time! Both were that same nice shade of medium blue AMC had at the time. My Dad's car looked exactly like this one:

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    Nice car, no doubt.
    Heck, I thought the Javelin looked more advanced and modern than any of the Big Three ponycars. Loved those cool door handles.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,714
    And now we've got the stylized CLA to take over that role. Wonder how it will fare.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    edited February 2013
    Did your dad's 68 Javelin also come with a girl like the one in the picture?

LOL!!!
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,201
    I don't know of any domestic car with 4-speed column shifters, do you? Quite a few European sedans and wagons had them, though.
    edited February 2013
    I was hoping to see the CLA at the Washington Auto Show, but was told that the one that they hoped to have was going to be displayed in Chicago. From what little I know about it my gut tells me that it'll be successful.

I suspect that the CLA will have seating for two in the back. While that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me there are times when seating for five is useful for us. I've read that the next generation C-Class will be larger than the current one, so that one will probably seat five in reasonable comfort for relatively short distances. If the next C-class is indeed larger it'll be about the size of the '80sW124. I loved that model.
    I don't know of any domestic car with 4-speed column shifters, do you? Quite a few European sedans and wagons had them, though.

Didn't the Nash Metropolitan have a 4-speed on the column?
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Met had a 3-speed.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    From the mid-'50's on, there were a LOT more Ramblers/AMC's made than Studebakers. I believe the name "AMC" didn't really originate as a brand name change, 'til '66 or so, incidentally.

At the time of South Bend's closing (12/20/63), Studebaker was America's Number 5 auto manufacturer.
    After looking it up, I think you're correct. The column shift was a 3-speed.

Just another sign my memory isn't what it used to be...
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    For the first time in 25 or so years I'm gonna miss the Vancouver auto show :cry: as I'll be away on the other side of the globe. I've been attending every year since 1988, some years when I was a teenager going 3-5 times per show. :surprise:

I see the Auto Show in your area already happened, in November?

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

edited February 2013
    If they have a lot of stripped models at that magical <30K price point, they will sell. It's also not bad looking. I can see the C growing up - price seems to be steadily growing, E is getting bigger, C can bloat a little.

The W212 E can be kind of W124-like, especially in simple trim. There's a functional feel about it absent in the W211.
    I haven't gone since 2010 - been tough to get free for a few days, as I like to hang out in Van when I go.

Seattle Auto Show was in November, I was in Germany then...no regrets. My past experience has had the Seattle show outranked by Vancouver - but I remember the 2010 Vancouver show was scaled way back.
    No, Mom was even prettier! :P
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,353
    Yep, Ramblers were considered as cars driven by the Walking Dead when we were kids.

Reading these posts brings back a memory for me. At the point that I got my driver's license my Dad had a '64 Rambler Classic, and the quote above did indeed represent the opinion among my friends and classmates. However, my Dad had the good taste to get a V-8 in it. In addition, it came with a 3-speed slush box, as opposed the 2-speed Powerglide that came on Chevys. That allowed me get the hole shot on them in the all-important stoplight "comparison of engines". When I did that to one of my peers driving their parent's Impala they of course had no choice but to go home and die of shame. Good times.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Saw a completely immaculate one at Cabin John Shopping Center, driven gingerly by a little old lady.

Total time capsule, I flashed back to the 80s when I used to go to there in high school.

Rare find!
    Saw an oddity today - ~70 Eldorado, light green metallic with white top, faux landau bar attached, looked to be in decent survivor condition.

Also saw the local old lady who drives what I wager is an original owner 560SEC. She's tiny, and sits insanely close to the wheel, I shudder at the thought of an airbag deployment.
    edited February 2013
    Our show was this month.

Have a great trip!
    Not a big error. Your reputation remains untarnished. You probably have bigger things to think about than I do.
    I've seen that one too, in the Cabin John parking lot.
    Oh yeah I didn't ask - going back to the home country?
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Fox Body Continental (85ish) this morning. Baby blue with navy cloth top. Looked well used and sagging in the back.

They are certainly a rarity these days.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,970
    Years ago, one of my grandparents' friends came to visit her while I was there. She wanted to show off her new car (well used, but new to her), a Cadillac Cimarron.

Well, Granddad wasn't around, so he couldn't comment. Grandmom looked at it, and didn't know what to make of it, until her fried showed her the badge. Grandmom didn't know what "Cimarron" meant, but she definitely recognized the Cadillac crest.

I swear, Grandmom actually sounded genuine when she exclaimed "Wow, a CADILLAC!! You did better than me, I just have a Buick!"

But, a little later, after her friend left, Grandmom said to me, with a disappointed look on her face, "Is that really a Cadillac?" and when I told her yes, she said that she looked even more disappointed, and said that she preferred her Buick. I think whatever mystique the Cadillac nameplate had ever held for her was dashed on the rocks at that point.
    Your Grandmom's reaction must have been typical. That said, I wouldn't mind owning a nicely maintained Cimarron now, to take to car shows. It'd get a lot of lookers, comments and questions.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    A conversation starter for sure.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,970
    Funny thing is, in looking at the pictures of them today, I have to admit a weird sort of attraction to them as well. They're actually not bad looking little cars. It's just that it's so blatantly obvious what they're based on. And it got even worse in 1984, when the Cavalier went to quad headlights and the eggcrate grille.

The Cimarron sold pretty poorly, but I wonder if GM still managed to turn a decent profit on them? They were pricied a lot more than a Cavalier, but there really wasn't anything about them that made them much more expensive to build. They had nicer interiors, to be sure, but it was still just a Cavalier dashboard. And all the power stuff was optional on the other cars...if not a Cavalier, certainly a Starfire or Skyhawk. And finally, all the exterior differences were easy-swap items such as header panels, taillights, etc.