Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    I've never owned one, but I suspect a W110 (fintail) 190D or 200D would have a hard time getting there, especially if an automatic. Small engine diesel variants of W114 and W123 might also have to struggle to get there esp with a slushbox.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I’ve had some that would do it, but might take a while, and by the time I had them I probably wouldn’t have wanted to anyway.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    This may not be "normal" outside of Athens Oh.

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,688
    kyfdx said:

Another question. Have you owned a car with a sub-80 mph top speed?

Say, post-1960.

Didn't the old Volkwagen bugs tend to top out around 75 mph or so? I seem to recall the advertisements bragging, in a joking sort of way, that their cars hit their top speed more quickly than just about any car out there.

Back in high school and college, a friend of mine drove his family's '72 Dart from time to time, and it had trouble making it much above 55 or so. It was a 4 door with the 225/Torqueflite, but his family didn't take care of their cars, so by the late 80's, that abuse and neglect had taken its toll.

In college I bought my first antique car, a 1969 Dart GT hardtop wtih the 225/Torqueflite, and it actually scared my friend, because in his mind, it was "fast". He had associated his family's Dart with the way they were "supposed" to be, so mine was a bit of a shock. It was still hardly a musclecar, though. CR tested a '68 with the same driveline and got 0-60 in 14 seconds, quarter mile in something like 19 seconds@72 mph.

I had another friend who had a 1980 Accord hatchback. With three people on board, it took about 26 seconds to get from 0-60, according to the stopwatch I used. But, it got up to 80+, and was impressively smooth and quiet.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,199
    I had a 2nd gen Accord ('82), and it was fairly quick for the time. Although, it was very sensitive to the load weight. Mine was a 5-speed. Top speed about 113 mph (downhill, lol)

'77 Cobra II with 302 and 4-speed.. 108 mph top speed. Limited by gearing and a tiny 2-bbl carb.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Buried the 120 mph speedo on my mother's '72 Lincoln Coupe 460 V-8, a couple of times. I don't know if it had much left, past that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    I can't say about my '65 Mustang with the 170 cid 6, never tried (probably a good thing). I was surprised my '72 Duster with the 198 cid 6 did 90, then I backed off. Maybe it could have done, say, 92...
  • Options
    My current vehicle is rated from the manufacturer at 149+ mph, and there have been reports of owners hitting 155.

But, I’ve never been over 105, and now that it has 121K miles, I’m not likely to find out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    fintail said:

That makes me think, what is the lowest top speed indicated on a speedometer? Maybe limit it to postwar gas/diesel normal production passenger cars. I have seen many that max out at 80, can't recall any lower.

Wasn't there a US federal decree in the aftermath of the first gas crisis that not only resulted in the 55mph limit on expressways but also an 80mpgh max scale on new car speedos?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    I thought it was 85? But yeah, that lasted for years.

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Yeah, 85 mph.

I'd prefer than now (maybe 100 mph), with a digital readout for higher speeds. My cars have 140 mph speedos, which means almost half of it never gets used, and that the important numbers are squashed together, only marked every 20 mph.
  • Options
    I think the dopey 55 era rules also required "55" to be highlighted in some way, I have seen it in orange/red printing, or even with a box around it. What a time.

I think foreign or low volume cars might have had some exemption, as I usually only see 85 in old MBs around MY 1981 or so.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    While my Econoline will go a little faster than 80, it won't go much past that. I think the air bucking off the front of the vehicle just overpowers anything that might be left in the engine.

My C20 tops out at about 95, but I would not want to push that speed for very long. How do I know this? Well, one time I was going to pass a tour bus on the Parks Highway. It was averaging around 60 mph (SL is 65) through some hills near Denali, but when I started passing, I guess the driver decided he was bored because he began accelerating as well. By the time I was about half a vehicle in front of him, I was basically topped out, and he probably was as well.... just running steady near my rear wheel. I ran out of distance, with a car coming around the next bend, so I just pulled back into my lane and let the driver deal with it (along with his 40+ passengers). That was the only time in my life that I have actually called a company to complain about one of their drivers, but the nice lady on the phone was horrified by the event I relayed to her. She kept saying, "Are you sure it was one of our busses?!" I really hope the guy was fired over that.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    When the first energy/crisis hit in 73, the fed initially reduced the speed limit to 50 mph, and after a lot of outcry, generously raised the limit to 55. When we lived in VA, if you were driving over 60 you were almost guaranteed a speeding ticket.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Yeah, back in that malaise era, the maximum speed on the speedometers was only 85 mph. I think it took a few years for them to scale down, though. Every 60's car I've had went to 120. The DeSoto's drum strip actually goes out to 130, although it's only numbered to 120. My '76 LeMans only goes to 100 though. I guess it was '77 they went to 85?

My '89 Gran Fury copcar went to 125, but it still had the 55 highlighted.

I wonder what year it was they let the speedos start going higher again, and when they took away the 55 highlight? I had a pretty big gap, going from the Gran Fury to a 2000 Intrepid. The Intrepid's went to 120, and no 55 highlight.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    edited April 2019
    My 71 Vega GT had a 130 mph speedo (ha, ha), my 76 Sunbird V6, 80 mph, though beyond 80 the needle would continue to sweep around the dial. I think I had it to about 95 once..it took a very long time to get there beyond 75. The 3.8 V6 was good for about 105 hp, much better than the Vega 2.3 that was standard, and better than most subcompacts at the time but that isn’t saying much. With it being 55 America, I rarely exceeded 65 and that was being brazen.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Got my driver's license in 1974. I tried to top-speed test, everything I drove. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    The speedometer in my 91 Mustang tops out at 160(very optimistic), 55 is still highlighted.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    This has been sitting abandon in the parking lot of a bank for a few months.
    I think I first parked next to it in late January or early February.

• Options
    IIRC, 4 cyl fintails have speedometers indicating 100, 6 cyl to 120 - both are wildly optimistic. A 300SE could maybe approach that, but I think my car is rated around 105. My 1989 S-Class went to 160, another wild claim where reality is far below it.

For that T-Bird, maybe it is a 3.8 car, which could be why someone gave up.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    andre1969 said:
    Yeah, back in that malaise era, the maximum speed on the speedometers was only 85 mph. I think it took a few years for them to scale down, though. Every 60's car I've had went to 120. The DeSoto's drum strip actually goes out to 130, although it's only numbered to 120. My '76 LeMans only goes to 100 though. I guess it was '77 they went to 85? My '89 Gran Fury copcar went to 125, but it still had the 55 highlighted. I wonder what year it was they let the speedos start going higher again, and when they took away the 55 highlight? I had a pretty big gap, going from the Gran Fury to a 2000 Intrepid. The Intrepid's went to 120, and no 55 highlight.
    The law was repealed in 1982, but most cars didn’t go above 85 until the late 80s from what I’ve read.

My mom’s 92 Century only went to 85 so it certainly lasted into the 90s on some cars 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    1977 Camaro Z/28. 130 mph speedometer.

1980 I can't drive 5ifty 5ive

1982 Dreaded double needle

But all for a good cause since the NHTSA speedometer rules doubtless saved countless lives and ended the oil crunch. And then came CHMSL...
  • Options
    I think my mom's 93 Taurus also only went to 85. I think the Tempo went to 80, I remember getting it past that.
  • Options
    How could I forget that... yes my 93 Taurus was also 85. The SHO did get a higher reading speedo. 120 IIRC

• Options
    77 is a 4 speed. I want it!

• Options
    SHO was 140. I left a little on the table the fastest I ever took my first one(89).
  • Options
    Wow; that's the first time I've seen that double needle design. Pretty cool! I like it. Granted, having both gradations use the same needle works, too, but it's not nearly as clever as the double needle.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah. A Honda N600 and a Fiat 600.

The Mercedes 300D would do 80....just maybe...but it sure wouldn't have liked it.
  • Options
    Reminds me of my friend's 1979 Rabbit (diesel). It would do 55 safely. Actual top speed was about 60 mph, but if you pushed it that hard for long, it would not be happy at all. About two months after he sold it... and telling the new kid owner to be careful about how fast he drove, the engine blew about half way to Portland (about 100 miles traveled) on the interstate. The kid decided that holding it at 60 should be okay.

Nope, not okay. :)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The older diesels were prone to grenade at very high rpm. They didn't like that--usually the heads cracked and then it overheated and then...well, you know.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    ab348 said:

Wasn't there a US federal decree in the aftermath of the first gas crisis that not only resulted in the 55mph limit on expressways but also an 80mpgh max scale on new car speedos?

Yes, a knee-jerk reaction from the Safety [non-permissible content removed] who infested NHTSA in the mid to late 70s- it was one of those "feel good"-for fascists, anyway-laws that was not supported by any data whatsoever.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    tjc78 said:

The law was repealed in 1982, but most cars didn’t go above 85 until the late 80s from what I’ve read.

My mom’s 92 Century only went to 85 so it certainly lasted into the 90s on some cars 

The European and Asian brands ashcanned the ridiculous 85 mph speedometers immediately; the U.S. automakers were typically over-cautious and waited several more years.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited April 2019
    A friend of mine had an '86 T-bird back in college. This is the same one that had the '80 Accord before that. Anyway, the T-bird was one of those designer packages, like Elan, Fila, or whatever. I remember it had a digital display for the speedometer, and also had a trip computer. One day, riding down to Kings Dominion (amusement park near Richmond VA), we discovered the speedo only went up to 85 mph, even though it had a three digit display for metric.

However, with the trip computer, if you keep resetting the "average speed" function often enough, it basically gives you the speed you're currently traveling. I don't know if it would register three digits, but I do remember getting it into the 90's. :smile:

When I had my '88 LeBaron turbo coupe, its digital display would exceed 85 mph. Once, when I had my grandmother in the car, I put the display over to metric, got up a bit over 60 mph, so it would read over 100 kph. Then I said to Grandmom, "hey, look how fast we're going! sure doesn't feel like it, does it?!" To say she was not amused, is putting it mildly...
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    omarman said:

Those car show Buicks and Oldsmobiles paint an interesting picture of that era. A friend had a 1970 442 W-30 which cranked out well over the factory advertised 370 hp but needed frequent maintenance and tuning. After HS I had a thing for Oldsmobile Delta 88s. Last one was a '78 Delta 88 sedan and I still miss it even though it had no where near the power of my '72 Delta 88 coupe with the Rocket 455.

I know today's minvans can smoke the old Detroit iron but it's the whole 70's package that I miss. The colors, style, character and comfort was all very appealing. And even the glitches reminded me to pay attention to the sounds, smells and feel of my cars to keep them reliable. I never felt like I was driving a throw away appliance back then.

My parents had a 1969 4-4-2, dark blue with the Hurst shifter. I know my dad really liked it but my first memories are him drifting down the neighborhood hill trying to pop the clutch and get it to run. One time we got all the way out of the neighborhood with no luck and my uncle happened to drive by in his Subaru and gave us a ride back to the house.
  • Options
    xwesx said:

jpp75 said:

The last time I saw him he was driving a Focus.

Did he hate the car or himself?! :p

Naw, I jest. However, I hope that he did find more satisfaction with his later choices.
    A fair question for sure, although I think his Focus was a manual so he avoided the PowerShift mess that Ford tried to pass off as a transmission.
  • Options
    It's funny but I have put about 25K miles on my '68 Cutlass over the years and it has never stranded me. Although a couple of times I did some ill-advised maintenance and it should have. But it always got me home.

• Options
    ab348 said:

It's funny but I have put about 25K miles on my '68 Cutlass over the years and it has never stranded me. Although a couple of times I did some ill-advised maintenance and it should have. But it always got me home.

To be fair that's only one memory I have, my parents will tell you they loved that car. It was replaced with a 1976 Olds 98 which wasn't bad for the times, but the bar was certainly low back then.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    This has been sitting abandon in the parking lot of a bank for a few months.

Odd the bank lets it sit there. A repo? I know that era Thunderbird didn't seem to be all that popular, but I kind of like the greenhouse on it.
  • Options
    xwesx said:

While my Econoline will go a little faster than 80, it won't go much past that. I think the air bucking off the front of the vehicle just overpowers anything that might be left in the engine.

My C20 tops out at about 95, but I would not want to push that speed for very long. How do I know this? Well, one time I was going to pass a tour bus on the Parks Highway. It was averaging around 60 mph (SL is 65) through some hills near Denali, but when I started passing, I guess the driver decided he was bored because he began accelerating as well. By the time I was about half a vehicle in front of him, I was basically topped out, and he probably was as well.... just running steady near my rear wheel. I ran out of distance, with a car coming around the next bend, so I just pulled back into my lane and let the driver deal with it (along with his 40+ passengers). That was the only time in my life that I have actually called a company to complain about one of their drivers, but the nice lady on the phone was horrified by the event I relayed to her. She kept saying, "Are you sure it was one of our busses?!" I really hope the guy was fired over that.

I got the Tacoma up to 100 last weekend on a remote stretch of Wyoming highway. It did so begrudgingly, 95...96.........97............98..... Not recommended.
  • Options
    jpp75 said:

xwesx said:

I got the Tacoma up to 100 last weekend on a remote stretch of Wyoming highway. It did so begrudgingly, 95...96.........97............98..... Not recommended.
    Auto or stick?

Our Tacoma is a 6-speed. I don't think I've been over 80, but it's my son's driver. Doubt he would tell me, if he had.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Auto or stick?

Our Tacoma is a 6-speed. I don't think I've been over 80, but it's my son's driver. Doubt he would tell me, if he had.

Auto. As I've told @michaell and @breld, 80 is about tops for the Tacoma. I wouldn't take it much over that again.
  • Options
    jpp75 said:

xwesx said:

I'm impressed that they can do 100. I've seen reviews which report the estimated top speed is 116 mph. But then I saw an interesting topic which asked if anyone knew how to disable the 116 mph top speed governor! Somebody wants to go faster than 116 in a Toyota Tacoma? Wow.
  • Options
    @berry,
    All I can think is that they are waiting for the landlord to tow it away.
  • Options
    omarman said:

I'm impressed that they can do 100. I've seen reviews which report the estimated top speed is 116 mph. But then I saw an interesting topic which asked if anyone knew how to disable the 116 mph top speed governor! Somebody wants to go faster than 116 in a Toyota Tacoma? Wow.

No way I'd do it again and I certainly wouldn't recommend taking it anywhere near 116, much less higher.
  • Options
    It’s pretty scary how fast some vehicles are today given the size and/or driving dynamics 

I took the Enclave from south Jersey to Baltimore by myself last year and found myself traveling in a group of cars at highly illegal speeds and thought that this SUV really doesn’t have the handling to be moving along quite this fast. 

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I’ve been passed by jacked up pick ups with knobby off road tires at 85. Heck, pick ups towing large trailers at 75+ is common.

No way those have safe emergency handling or brakes at those speeds.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

It’s pretty scary how fast some vehicles are today given the size and/or driving dynamics 

I took the Enclave from south Jersey to Baltimore by myself last year and found myself traveling in a group of cars at highly illegal speeds and thought that this SUV really doesn’t have the handling to be moving along quite this fast. 

Now the C30 is the opposite end of the spectrum, it will cruise at 120 all day and not break a sweat. I've told @Michaell and @breld, I can get to 80 in the C30 and not even notice it.

Anyways, getting back on topic.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    Often see those speeders towing spun out or involved in accidents. 

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    I always like the styling of those Skylark X-body rear-drivers.