Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I liked it as much at the end of its run as I did at the beginning.

I like the older front ends better like Lemko's. In 90 it got the composite headlights and wrap around bumpers, that take away from the classic look IMO. Of course, you could get the Chevy 350 which makes up for it a little.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    I like lemko's styling better than the later ones, too, not only with the composite headlights but the wide silver section on the bottom of the sides, and the filled in rear door little window.

I always liked on Caddys, starting in '84 I think, when the side molding was entirely the same color as the car, no chrome beading, which gave you the nick protection but gave the clean look of no side molding.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,616
    Oh, the pain! I really want another old Toronado. That was such an awesome car. I had one in Colorado and I'd put 4 luggy snow tires on that thing and I literally chewed Aspen snowdrifts to pieces.

That one is a most....er...unpleasant....color, but the price is...well...negotiable.

I wouldn't care if the car got 4 mpg. This is the car that god would drive.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• berriberri Posts: 4,254
    I think the original Toronado is classically designed in the same vein as an XKE or 63 Sting ray (wait, I'm thinking that's not one of your favorites!). Personally, I like that Toronado in gold or silver.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,156
    edited May 2013
    Seems like a lot of car for the money, and no doubt could be had for less. Not bad.

Recent oddballls - Amazon again, another 60s Land Rover, nice W126 380SE in light grey with 1986+ wheels.
    63 Sting ray (wait, I'm thinking that's not one of your favorites!).

You might be thinking of me. Particularly in silver, I think they look like they came right off the 'Buck Rogers' TV show! Too many fake scoops IMHO and I think the split window is dumb. But what do I know.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,197
    edited May 2013
    ...black 1963 Lincoln Continental convertible mouldering away under a partially removed tarp near a seedy repair shop at Algon and Oxford Avenue in a marginal neighborhood. Sad to think this forlorn car was once some successful person's pride and joy.
    Love those Kennedy-era Lincolns. When we were in L.A. last summer, after early Mustangs, those were the biggest number of old cars we'd see on the streets.
    I have no large beef with the Stingray except it needs some finessing so that it doesn't drive like a flatbed truck. Nothing a few grand wouldn't fix.

RE: 63 Lincoln---that's a car worth saving if it's a convertible. They were troublesome cars, and the restoration wouldn't be easy, but the value of that model is only going to go up and up. It's one of those "iconic" cars you see on t-shirts and in bad automotive art shows.

edited May 2013
    Someone did a very nice job on this custom Ranchero

ROOM FOR FOUR

Be advised, if you watch the video, it features the winners of last year's Crappy Music Festival.

..black 1963 Lincoln Continental convertible mouldering away under a partially removed tarp near a seedy repair shop at Algon and Oxford Avenue in a marginal neighborhood. Sad to think this forlorn car was once some successful person's pride and joy.

I've always thought that there's nothing worse than an old, beat-up luxury car. 'How far they fall', it seems. Much worse than an old, beat-up econobox.
    Most of the old luxury barges have to go through the "can't afford to fix it" stage, and if they survive that, they are usually so messed up that even with a potential value of $80,000, that Lincoln is going to be a break-even proposition. As for the old luxury sedans, their current market value, even in pristine condition, is so little that there's no chance of restoration anymore.

Added to that, today's luxury cars, being mass-produced, robot-built, and grotesquely complex, don't stand a chance of survival IMO, except for the ones that are never allowed to deteriorate----the low mileage "survivors" kept in meticulous storage and used infrequently.

Somewhere around $80K--$100K market value seems to be the cut-off point for dragging old cars in horrible condition out of the weeds. I still see horrendously deteriorated "woodies" being restored, and of course, limited production foreign exotics, but for most old cars, they have to be pretty solid before anyone will take them on anymore.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,104
    I've always thought that there's nothing worse than an old, beat-up luxury car. 'How far they fall', it seems. Much worse than an old, beat-up econobox.

I remember back in the early 1990's, there was a '68 Sedan DeVille sitting, for sale outside of a local bar/pool hall. I went in to inquire about it. It belonged to a guy who worked there, and he only wanted $500 for it. He let me drive it around the parking lot, but I couldn't take it on the road because it had no tags on it.

Gotta confess, I was oddly drawn to it. It sounded nice, and seemed to run well, and from what little you could tell from parking lot speeds, seemed to drive nice. But, it was a dark primer gray, had some dents here and there, and a pretty trashy interior. I guess to me it was cool in sort of a "reverse chic" sort of way, although it also looked like something a serial killer might drive in a Lifetime Original Movie! :surprise:
    I'm thinking more like Nick Nolte's 1964 Cadillac convertible in "48 Hours."

Nah, this '68 wasn't quite that nice. Oh, on the subject of old luxury beaters, got my blue NYer back from the mechanic yesterday. It has a new starter, and he tweaked around with a few wires, but said he didn't want to get too involved with it, without my okay. So, I told him I'd try it out and see how it acted, and make the decision from there.

It only stalled out twice on the way home, but on the plus side, it started right back up! Drove it to work today, and it stalled once, but again, started right up. Guess the real test will be when I walk out the door this evening!
    edited May 2013
    A neglected Rolls is probably tops for that, although a vintage Caddy can do it too, seeing as they were so high up at one time. For some reason, a worn neglected MB doesn't give me the exact same feelings, as I guess I assume they have a huge mileage on them, and are just used up - as the cars have a more utilitarian bent in Europe than in NA. I've seen Y2K era high end cars already starting to look a little down on their luck.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,909
    Watched part of the movie 'The Salzburg Connection', a spy 'thriller'.
    Of course the most of the bad guys drove black Mercs including a fintail that was blown up, although a couple of them drove a VW 411. The 'good guy', Barry Newman, a kind of anti James Bond, rented an orange 2002 and ended up driving a 911 Targa by the end of the movie.
    Well, today was about the most drama-free trim home from work in my '79 NY'er, in recent memory. Went out around 4:15 pm to start it up, and it fired right up. Almost like a new car. And I mean, a NEW new car, not a new 1979 car! :P It was idling way too fast, but at some point, it did kick down, because when I got home I was able to shut it off in "park" without it dieseling on.

Oh, and here's a pic I took of it at work, just for the heck of it. Uplanderguy will appreciate what's parked next to it!
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,251
    Spotted on the way to work today, on the top level of a car carrier trailer, a '76 Buick Electra 4-door hardtop. Black vinyl roof over burgundy body, chrome Buick road wheels, looked very fresh. Either heading out of town to a new owner or headed in for the same purpose. Never saw this one around here before, so maybe the latter. Unusual to see a big luxo-barge from that era being treated so gently.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

I can just picture that Buick. A barge, of course, but nicely styled. I always liked how the four-door hardtops in '75 and '76 had that extra window in the "C" pillar--most stylish IMHO on the Pontiac Bonneville, Buick Electra, Olds Ninety-Eight, and Cadillac, a little less so on lesser Chevs-Pontiacs-Buicks-Oldses.
    That's an old Pontiac Montana--or maybe even the "TransSport Montana" if it's old enough.

By all accounts, the Uplander, Buick Terraza, and '05-06 Montana were sales duds, but Pontiac actually only built their revised van for two model years! Amazing.

Having had two Ventures before our Uplander, the Ventures rode softer, the Uplander did better in crash tests, and I think the Uplander, with its big tires, aluminum wheels, and revised interior, looked better, but it rode hard I think. I always wondered if the increased crashworthiness contributed to that. It was reliable and cheap to operate in the 94K miles we put on ours.
  • magnettemagnette London UKPosts: 1,952
    edited May 2013
    The 3-litre six in the MGC isn't the same engine as the one used in the Autin-Healey. Instead it was the same engine used in the Austin 3-litre (a larger RWD version of the Austin 1800) and it was not suitable for a sportscar, although I've known people with them here who have liked the C because it is more of a tourer.
    MG finally got it right using the Rover 3.5 V8 (ex Buick) which was a load faster, lighter etc, but by then it was too late and it never saw any development - the engineers at British Leyland probably deserve medals for what they developed on a budget measured in pence sometimes but the bean-counters should have been charged with treason for the way they ran our car industry...(Guess which ones actually got the knighthoods - with the notable exception of the great engineer Issigonis, of course).
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 904
    Hey, is that a curb feeler on the front of that New Yorker, or is it just the photo? ;)
    I'm thinking that the 63/64 Cadillac's were never all that popular with Caddy fans. But I always kind of liked them. They just seemed kind of clean looking without a lot of excess baggage. In 65 they seemed to get a little plumper again.
    I always though that vintage of Chrysler was rather stately looking. There was a kind of creme or beige color that I think was popular on them and looked very nice on it.
    Hmm never heard of that, will have to look out for it. Caught part of "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" last week, where the bad guys have a fintail that crashes on ice and blows up (of course).

Nothing particularly odd spotted on the road today, oldest car was a MB W123 I think.
    Funny line, a "new 1979 car" - I bet people today would go insane at malaise era car quirks. I remember my friend's 83 Monte Carlo would run on/diesel if turned off with the AC on.

I think I see the curb feeler, too.
    I loved the 1963 Cadillac! When I was a very little kid, a neighbor had a big black 1963 Sedan DeVille. I asked my Dad what kind of car that was and he said it was a Cadillac. I have been in love with Cadillac ever since then.
    Around our parts, I always saw a lot of '63-64 Cadillacs, which made me assume they sold better than earlier or later models, but just guessing.

The '65 Cadillac is my favorite. Love the instrument panel before a lot of crash padding needed to be added. After a few years, it seems like the separate cornering lights began to sag, though. They were integrated in '66 which took care of the problem.