Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    Interesting article, good history.
  • wevkwevk Posts: 179
    I’m behind the wheel of one of the rarest and most desired Porsches ever made, the 550 Spyder. The sensuous curves of the tiny two-seat convertible are unmistakable as the model driven by James Dean when he met his death on a California highway in 1955.
    Only this Spyder is a fake. Or more precisely, a facsimile. Porsche itself has nothing to do with the car. Its maker, Prospect, Connecticut-based Spyder Creations, says that it is officially a kit car, albeit one that costs between $320,000 and $470,000.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-01/repro-320-000-porsche-550-spyder-weaves- -through-curves.html
  • jljacjljac Posts: 649
    edited August 2013
    I took this image at the James Dean crash site and spot on the 50th anniversary of his accident, Friday Sept 20, 2005. The image of my 1955 Studebaker Commander taken that day is what led me to this site. link title
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,531
    Neat car, but I'd be putting that $320k-$470k into something else, car-wise.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,618
    edited August 2013
    PT Barnum has a pretty well known saying. He was born in Connecticut. Maybe there is some connection.
    Today, I saw a black MX-3 and a sliver Mark 8.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,144
    What was the car James Dean's Porsche collided with? I think it was a 1946 Ford.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,560
    A 46-48 Ford convertible just drove by, black, lowered, wide whites, sounded mean.

The James Dean crash was with a 50 Ford.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,528
    A Porsche 912 engine? Wheezy old thing. For $470K, you'd expect some serious horsepower.

I could get a couple of real Speedsters for the upper end of that - and they'll hold their value and maybe even appreciate.
  • jljacjljac Posts: 649
    edited August 2013
    Here are a few more images from Cholame, CA on September 30, 2005. The Porsche was a stealth car that blended in with the pavement and was hard to see at dusk. There are now warning signs to turn your lights on before the James Dean Memorial Intersection. I post three images but only two show up.

...two-tone green 1957 Chevrolet 210 two-door sedan near Fuller and Tabor Avenue in NE Philly.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,774
    Thursday was a nice evening and I was home so I decided to take the '68 Cutlass over to a nearby cruise-in. Snapped a couple of iPhone pics.

I was pleased with how the car looked in these and it attracted some attention from the folks passing by.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• texasestexases Posts: 5,531
    VERY nice! We had a '69 Cutlass, it was a lot of fun with just the regular 350.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,528
    How nice an old car looks without tons of chrome, gingerbread, spears, scoops, arrows, etc!

edited August 2013
    This morning I saw a Karmann Ghia and a Thing in a hotel parking lot. This afternoon I saw what I guess was a Thing made up to look like a Kubelwagen. Must be a VW meet in the area.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,276
    on the way to the shore. A surprisingly clean looking Mustang II. So 70s looking. Wire wheels, tan coupe (notchback) with a tan 1/2 vinyl roof. My wife was not impressed.

also got behind a nice '69 Camaro convertible RS. I knew it was there before I even saw it, thanks to that classic unburned hydrocarbon smell!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,896
    Sounds like the Ghia model... my girlfriend had one (no.. not the current girlfriend.... in the '70s)

I had a Cobra II.. there.. I said it.. not embarrassed... :blush:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    Very nice Cutlass. A gal I knew in college always wanted a 4-4-2 and her Dad bought her a '68. It's a numbers-for-real 4-4-2 but almost looks like a Cutlass Supreme--burgundy color, black vinyl top, whitewalls and full wheel covers, with buckets and floor-shift automatic. She has had trouble finding a NOS rear bumper with the dual-exhaust cutouts. She still has it, but it doesn't sound like it's seen the most ideal storage situation in these past thirty years she's had it, though.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,774
    I believe they make repro cutout bumpers now.

Mine didn't have that originally but it was an option even on a regular Cutlass like mine so I wanted to add it. In 1998 I found one in Boston. I drove down from Nova Scotia to pick it up and had it rechromed up here.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Saw a TR4 today, speaking of Mustang II I saw one last night - vinyl top with the narrow rectangular rear window, early 70s 911 with Fuchs wheels.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,595
    It was the tail end of the vintage car races at NHMS this weekend and there were plenty of nice sports cars around both old and new. The most unusual were a BRG E-type Roadtster (S1), still fabulous after all these years and a yellow '65-ish Alfa Giulia Sprint (1600?) GTC (Cabriolet), the first I have ever seen. Both had tops down.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,897
    there goes the neighborhood. I caught a black Panther lurking around in my grandmother's driveway this evening...

:P

Actually, it was a just a delivery driver for Domino's. Wonder how much he's really making, using that beast for deliveries? Back in the day when I delivered, I drove worse guzzlers than that. But in those days, we whined when gas got over $1.30 or so per gallon!
    Before I read under the pic, I was thinking "oh, what did he buy?" :shades:

Hopefully the driver has some highway runs to help the mileage, or that the Dominos has a small radius. I see a few oddball delivery cars in my area, most memorable a Peugeot 505 and a MB W116 300SD.
    I've never had a pizza delivered to my house, so I don't know what store this guy came from. If it's where I think it is, it's 3.2 miles from the store to my grandmother's house. The guy was actually lost when he pulled into Grandmom's driveway; he was looking for the house in back. By that time I think he was a bit flustered trying to find it. He asked if he could park in the driveway and just walk it back, and I said sure, but it's a long walk!

Back when I delivered, I think about the furthest I had to drive was about 5 1/2 miles. But, if traffic, lights, etc didn't cooperate, that could take a good 20 minutes. And most of it was residential neighborhoods, so you couldn't go *too* fast.
    Probably won't get more than ~15mpg or so in that driving with that beast, maybe not a good delivery vehicle in the days of $4 gasoline - but it will hold a lot of pizzas! Maybe the driver works in livery service and is moonlighting.
    Back when I delivered, I think my '68 Dart, '79 Newport, and '89 Gran Fury all averaged around 13 mpg. My '86 Monte Carlo averaged around 15. When I got the Intrepid, it was hard to get that thing below 20 mpg in that type of driving.

Initially, I was excited about the fuel savings I'd see with the Intrepid, but almost as soon as I bought it, fuel prices started shooting up. I still remember its first fill-up in November of 1999 was around $1.399 per gallon, and that seemed high at the time. I think it topped out around $1.95 per gallon in the spring of 2000 and then settled down slightly.

Because of that rise in prices, I didn't see the fuel bill go down much, if any. But, when you compare how much any of those older cars would have cost, at the higher fuel prices, I'm sure I saved quite a bit.

As for that Town Car, the driver was a young Indian guy, very clean-cut and professional. I'm guessing he was a college student. The car was very well kept up, so maybe he did do some livery service as well. It didn't look like your typical Daddy's hand-me-down college kid used car.
    I can say I have never seen an immaculate later model TC as a pizza delivery car.

The bad thing about lower fuel costs is that they are often offset by a car payment. Oh well, you have to pay to play.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,618
    He's probably just delivering some pizza on his way to the airport.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    That's Pizza with style! Funny thing is without seeing the inside you can't tell if that's an 03 or an 11!

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Way back in the day, the pizza delivery guy in our neighborhood had a 1964 Ford Galaxie XL.