Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    edited August 2013
    I also think the original AMX's were beautiful cars, but to my eyes, the interior disappoints. I know it was built to a price, unlike an Avanti for example, but it looks like the interior was carved out of a block of hard plastic, and the seat trim just leaves me cold. That said, I could still enjoy one. ;)

Our Ohio Region Studebaker Drivers' Club threw our annual big meet at Summit Racing's headquarters and huge retail store at Tallmadge, OH, yesterday. We promoted it as a Studebaker-Packard meet but also welcomed other independents. We had 93 Studes, 35 Packards, and a good 20 'other independents'. There was a Facel Vega there, which I had never seen in person--quite attractive.

At the risk of ridicule (!), there were two mid-'70's Matadox X coupes there. I always liked those--low, big quarter windows, fastback roofline...rarely seen today. In one model year the Matador went from being the tallest 2-door body in its class to the lowest.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,951
    I kinda like those '74+ Matador coupes...they have some ugly features, like the poorly-integrated bumpers and the frenched headlights, but you have to give AMC for trying. One detail I like, although it didn't really matter by then, was that they still offered roll-down rear windows on the coupes. I think if you got the Barcelona, with the landau roof they were stationary, but the base coupe with the larger windows had roll-downs.

A few weeks ago, when I was at the Das Awkscht Fescht car show in Macungie, PA, there was one of those Matador coupes parked right next to my LeMans.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,617
    While I was gassing up a fellow pulled up to the pumps in a dark blaue Mustang convertible, obviiously restored with good paint and chrome and a good top, the plexiglass looked brand new. It wore whitewall tires and the standard hubcaps as well as a "289" engine badge and I noticed a non-stocky Nardi-style wood rim steering wheel that was perhaps not really wood.

All in all a very nice car that looked very good but not over-restored (no super-glossy paint and every concievable option.)

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,677
    Several days ago, an old friend of the family passed away, someone I had known much of my life. I was sad initially, but as many say, the person wouldn't want everyone to mourn too much. It got me thinking that she had a really varied and unusual taste in cars.

When I was a little kid, she had a Porsche 914, but I don't remember it. I do remember a lovely ~80 Eldorado she drove for many years - two tone blue with grey leather, no vinyl top, and it had wheels rather than wire hubcaps. It was nicely optioned, and such a smooth classy ride, I rode in it numerous times and always enjoyed it. She also had a maybe 84-85 Alfa Spider, in kind of a creamy beige color that for Spiders seems to only exist in that general era. She inherited a fully optioned 81-82 or so K-Car coupe that she used for going to sales (she was an antique dealer friend of my parents) as running costs on the Caddy weren't cheap for such duty. In the 90s she had a late model XJ6 that was troublesome. Then switched to minivans, mostly Chrysler and replaced every few years, but the last one was a Kia. Her and her husband also had a 51 Cadillac convertible for many years, I remember it had wire wheels and wide whites. Their last/current pleasure car was a later run SL320, which was still in their garage when I visited a few months ago. Now that I look back on it, she had pretty diverse tastes for someone living in small town USA.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,174
    Sorry about the loss, but I would not be sad for the lady either. It sounds like she liked to live life and experience all it had to offer. Too often we can get so wrapped up in stuff that we forget about the importance of that aspect in our lives until it's too late. The thing about this lady is that you will have those memories of her forever since it doesn't sound like they are the kind that will fade away with time.
    That's true, someone I won't forget...the cars just add to the memory. Not many people have such a varied garage.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,433
    took a trip to boston this weekend and saw a few oddballs on the road.

on 84 in Connecticut, passed a yellow 69ish Chevelle. Looked like it road a little high (overzized wheels?) but looked nice. had Yenko SC stripes on it, but I think an SS 350 (maybe 396) badge. I assume it was a clone, but who knows?

and shockingly moving under it's own power (quite quickly too, because it passed me in the left lane at 75-80) was a black Porsche 914 2.0.

and running around the burbs up there, I was next to a white AMX 390 (1st generation). 4 speed. Looked nice and clean. I always liked those.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

She sounds like she was a truly awesome person. Sorry for your loss.

Earlier this year, I had someone pass away, long time friend of the family, who was probably more responsible than anyone else for getting me into cars. He and his wife lived behind my grandparents, and he was always working on cars, fixing them up, hot rodding them, restoring, etc. He helped me paint both of my Darts, gave me advice when I thought about buying a '72 Impala convertible, helped put a leaf spring on my DeSoto, and helped me put the back door to a '79 LeMans on my friend's 1978 Malibu Classic, after he had snagged it on a guardrail.

My Mom was a junior bridesmaid in their wedding, back in 1960 or so. They moved down to Southern Maryland in 1999, and sold the place up here in 2000, and we didn't see them much after that.

After the funeral, there was a reception back at his place, and they had the garage opened up to show off his collection. He'd had tons of interesting cars over the years, but by this time was down to two '62 Impalas: one stock and one hot-rodded, one of those late 80's/early 90's Chevy SS454 pickups, a '65 Chevy pickup, and a modified Model A. He also had an early 80's Chevy pickup, similar to mine but a short bed, sitting outside, primered-up.

I remember seeing old wedding photos, and back then he had a '58 Impala. I think it was a convertible. They also had a '69 Coupe DeVille, first car I can remember seeing that had power windows, when I was a kid. They swapped it for a 1981 Citation, back when such a travesty was common, although that rapidly gave way to an '81 Monte Carlo!

They also had a Chevy II convertible, white with a white/green interior. I remember him painting some metal interior parts one day. I remember saying that color reminded me of a Honda, and he said that's what it was! He couldn't find the original green, but the Honda green was a very close match.

He also had a '63 or '64 Riviera, and then a '66 or '67. And for awhile, he had a butterscotch '62 Coupe DeVille that someone had given him, because the engine had gone bad. I also remember him having a '55 Chevy at one time. And, countless other cars that I'm sure I've forgotten.

He used to put 350's in Vegas and race them. Also used to play around with Corvairs back in the day. And for awhile, he had an old Willy's Jeep with a 350 that he put in. He'd come around after a snowstorm and plow the neighbors' driveways for them.

I think he was 73 when he passed. When I was younger, 73 seemed O-L-D! That's the age my Granddad passed away, and my grandmother. But, now that I'm 43, and my Mom is 64, 73 doesn't seem so far away anymore!
    Hah yeah, with that lineup, I can see how they influenced you. The person I know who passed was about the same age. I should see if I can find out what she drove in the 60s, probably some interesting stuff, too. Funny thing her husband always just had a pretty ordinary pickup, nothing too oddball (Explorer sport trac might be it), other than the old Caddy.

I remember when my grandparents were in their mid 60s, they seemed old. Now my mother is that age, doesn't seem the same.
    I can remember my grandmother (who lived in our town), on her 56th birthday. My grandfather (step), a character, got her a cake with a big '56' written on it. She seemed like someone in their late seventies today.

That said, she was the oldest of seven kids, helped raise her youngest brother and sisters when her mother died in 1931, and later raised a granddaughter and a niece. She didn't do anything fun for herself.
    Like cars, people seem to age better today. Maybe less outright toil is to blame for it. My mother is an early boomer, and hasn't aged like her parents' generation.

That being said, my nearly 90 year old grandmother is in fairly decent shape too. Still lives in her own house, does yardwork, just stopped driving, etc.
    my father is 84 now. and while is obviously older than he used to be, pretty much just does normal stuff like anyone else would. Travels, drives, once in a while mows the lawn, etc.

on top of that, he is still an active volunteer fireman, and was just re-certified to drive the truck! he does not gear up anymore of course.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

Just as 50 years ago an old car was often a rickety old thing not fit for modern roads - and older people aged similarly, today an old car can still keep up with traffic and at least not be a hazard, and older people have aged similarly. Not for the same reasons, but an amusing parallel.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,617
    I spotted an old-style Saab, that was either an early 50s Saab 93 or a later Saab 96. It was in good shape wearing light gray paint, white walls and simple hubcaps. Unfortunately I couldn't see if it had the V4 badge.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• omarmanomarman Posts: 704
    A 288 GTO sits beside an F40, which is engaged in a permanent face-off with a 512i BB...It's nuts and we're just getting started.

Every mission statement should be pithy like that.
    "It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago..."

Great stories and history lessons for the lucky few who get invited to the trophy room tour. And I had to laugh when I saw, "He's also building a model collection of every car he drove..." Does that guy post here?
    spent 3 days driving around SC this weekend. Saw not one, not 2, but 3 old school beetles driving around.

2 were later models (probably around '70, before big taillights). and they were on the highway! the 3rd was in town (Greenville) but that was a real old one (small rear window). I had forgotten how much different the early ones looked (much "older? too).

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,149
    I just saw an old, old beetle convertible on the road near home. It has small tail lights and almost nonexistent bumpers front and rear. So it had to be early model. It was a dark grey color. Just old looking and dark. Top down!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,663
    In the Rocky River/West Lake area a red/cream Auburn Speedster driving down the street!
    edited September 2013
    Saw a W113 SL and a ~65 Nova coupe zooming down the highway.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,349
    Parked near the road in a driveway, with a 'For Sale' sign. Looked to be in pretty good shape. Memories of my white '61 Corvair 700 sedan came to mind and I was fleetingly tempted to look into it. Then more memories of my '61 Corvair 700 sedan came to mind and I kept driving.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

edited September 2013
    Yesterday I took a college friend and her husband for a ride down Route 5 just slightly west of Erie, PA (we were at the lake for our annual college friends reunion at one who owns a lakeside house), and saw three Corvairs, in two different places...a black '63 Monza coupe 4-speed, and in the other place a '63 convertible and a '64 convertible. The black car was in the best shape. After Studebakers, I'd want Corvairs next, but I bet I'd even have more trouble finding a place to work on a Corvair than a Studebaker, unfortunately.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    White 1977-78 Lincoln Versailles with blue top and trim in a Pep Boys parking lot in Willow Grove, PA.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,434
    So.. that's where the last one is...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Nah, there's a really nice one that shows up every year at the car show Lemko, Keystonecarfan, and I hit out in Macungie PA every year.

Even though the similar-vintage Seville was probably a superior car in just about every respect, I kinda like the Versaille, in a weird sort of way. I think they're decent looking, but the problem is that it's just so blatantly obvious what it's based on. GM did a much better job of hiding the Seville's Nova underpinnings.

In a similar vein, I think Ford had a problem with the more recent Zephyr/Mark Z. Nice looking car, but there's no hiding the fact that it was just a tarted up Fusion. I do think they're doing a better job with the latest iteration, though.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    " I do think they're doing a better job with the latest iteration, though. "

Yeah, that's a pretty sharp car IMO.

I've never been a fan of the Versailles, although for the times the interior wasn't too bad.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

out driving around this AM, a Volare. 2 door, with spoilers, etc. Did not see the badging, but some version of an RT or Roadrunner sports model. actually kind of liked it!

In 1988, a flighty female relative of mine was gifted a pristine 78 Versailles by a family member. I remember going with her to pick it up (as she knew I liked cars) - as an 11 year old, I thought it was amazingly nice, it was also loaded - had moonroof, stereo, etc. I remember the ride home in it, listening to the radio and enjoying the cushy leather seats. Sadly, she ruined it within a year, I can't remember if she crashed it or killed the transmission. I want to say it was a silver and dark grey two tone.

And now she is a settled down grandma who drives a Suburban.
    Back in late 1994 or early 1995, I drove a '79 Volare with a 360-4bbl that a guy was trying to sell. It wasn't a Roadrunner, but it still had that hot engine, and did have a spoiler on it. He only wanted $500 for it. It was in fairly good shape for the most part, but the ignition was messed up, where you could start it with anything that you could stick in there, and it had a big dent in one of the rear quarters.

However, it didn't impress me all that much, because it didn't feel any quicker than the '68 Dart I was driving at the time, which just had a 318-2bbl. But, for 1979 standards it was about as musclecar-esque as you could get, most likely. By that time, GM wouldn't let you get anything bigger than a 301/305 in their downsized intermediates, with the exception of something like ~2499 Olds 350's that they slipped into the Cutlass Supreme to make the Hurst one year. And Ford wasn't doing anything hot with their Fairmont, although as light as they were, I imagine a 302-equipped model was pretty decent for the era.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,174
    "Lincoln Versailles"

Ah, a Granada with lipstick. Maybe a small step up from a Cadillac Cimmaron Cavalier. Detroit took on a BMW 3 - Not!