Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Pilot Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• parksrparksr Posts: 11
    I have a new 2011 Honda Pilot Touring. Consumer Reports states that the Pilot has very long stopping distances. What should I expect for brake pad life on this vehicle? I know that brake life depends on driving style, but what have others experienced? Also, has Honda done any thing to improve on poor braking performance on the 2011 Pilot?

I, as many others, am used to changing oil at a specific milage. What kind of range in miles should I expect the Milage Minder to tell me to change my oil? Also, I have also been told to change the oil filter any time I change my oil. What is Honda thinking as to not changing the oil filter when I change my oil? Just curious.

Thanks in advance, WolfpackRon.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    We have 18k miles on our 2009 Pilot Touring (same as 2011). No brake wear issues so far, and oil changes seem to be at around 5k miles.
    Thanks for the reply. I normally change my oil at 5000 miles in my other cars. I had a Ford Explorer that I had to change the front pads about every 25,000 miles and I have a Toyota Camry that the front pads last about forever, close to 100,000 miles. Thanks again for the info. Do you have your oil changed at the dealer? I cannot imagine not changing the oil filter when you change the oil.
    WolfpackRon.
  • stabler1stabler1 Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    I am a potential Pilot buyer and trying to find out the cost of ownership down the road. Most of the car reviews conveniently ignore the maintenance costs. I always do my own oil changes and tire rotations etc. although I am not too much mechanically inclined. I will definitely stay away from any high maintenance car.

Does any one know the exact maintenance items required under 100k other than oil changes and various inspections? such as:
    timing belt changes,
    spark plugs( difficult to access on this car with transversally mounted engine I assume)
    brake fluid
    t-case fluid
    diff fluids
    transmission fluid

I'll drive under normal conditions and will not tow any thing.
    Off the top of my head, I remember the timing belt needs to be replaced at 60,000 miles and the brake fluid replaced every 3 years. Spark plugs probably last for at least 100,000 miles. Just guessing. Not sure about transmission fluid.
    WolfpackRon.
  • wittonewittone Posts: 1
    There is a slot on the receiver into which you can you can insert your ignition key or similar object to release the latch.
  • sastresastre Posts: 3
    How do I open this link that was an answer to an inop rear blower motor.
    http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A03-048.PDF
    It says I am not authorized to open. Can anyone copy it and post or email it to me?
    Does anyone have any info on this problem. I have already checked the 30amp fuse(55) and it is good. It is only the rear blower that doesn't come on. Is the transistor or relay a common problem? Thanks
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Try this link instead: http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/a03-048.PDF

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tslentslen Posts: 2
    I have an 03 Pilot with only 40 K miles. My dealer is recommending replacement of the timing belt because it is 7 years old, though the manual recommends replacement at 105 K miles. Is it really necessary to replace the belt after only 40 K miles of wear?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,415
    edited August 2010
    Doesn't seem likely but if it could easily be visually inspected, that should answer the question---the belts CAN in fact age with years as well as miles. Looking at it carefully is the only way to really answer this question IMO.

VISITING HOST

• Gentlemen,

Where can I find a clue on how to replace the interior cabin air filter on a 07 Pilot?

Many thanks,

Ed
  • tldtld Posts: 37
    edited September 2010
    It's time to look at replacing my wifes tires and want to get some advice on what people have been using. This vehicle will not be driven offroad but does see some snow (Missouri).

I've been considering the the General Grabber, Michelin LTX M/S2, Michelin Latitude Tour and Goodyear TripleTred. I'm worried the LTX is to much of a "truck" tire for this vehicle. Any comments on these or others?
  • jensadjensad Posts: 388
    We had Michelin on both of our Pilot and Acura rl. I got rid of them as I checked the side wall and tread ply was not as good as the Bridgestone I purchased. JMO folks but I have not had any blowouts or other problems with the Bridgestone brand vs. the Michelin.

Years ago I only purchased Michelin but over the last 10 yrs. I changed over to Bridgestone Credenzas for our two vehicles. This is JMO.

Good luck to all and stay safe.
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    I replaced the goodyears with the Michelin Latitudes. A TON more quiet!!!! The car is pretty noisy to begin with, but the road noise was significantly reduced which was great.

Only driven in light snow, lots of rain, no problem. If you look up ratings online the tires do well in snow. If you are planning to drive in mud I'd consider the LTX as they are a more aggressive tire and I have been told are reasonably quiet as well.

The Latitudes I'm sure handle better on the road (I believe they are OEM on Porsche Cayennes).

Good luck!

tom
  • so far I don't hear any pinging on my 2010 pilot. I use chevron octane 87. sometime 91..

the only problem I am having now is engine oil consumption. the car is only at 6600 miles. I have to add almost 1 quart...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,415
    a quart every ????? miles.

• rt4rt4 Posts: 13
    Tires;
    Have had 4 sets of tires on my '07 4wd Pilot. The present ones are Mich. Lat. Tour and are by far the best----much quieter than all others. BTW, also had the Cont. HTS Grabber, and got rid of them after 18,000 miles.
    Re: a previous question on cabin air filter-----I too would be interested if anyone could give some info on installing a new one.
    Have got approx. 69,000 miles on this veh. and is one of best cars I have ever owned, and I have owned dozens.
  • Hi There-
    I have an '08 Pilot EX 4WD with 26K. Purchased used in December. Car runs great. The only problem(s) I have noticed- is the brakes tend to make alot of noise (not squeak/squeal)- but more of a clunk/creak when pressed- I hear it more when I shift from Reverse to Drive and letting the foot off- you can hear it somewhat when applying in normal drive conditions. Have not taken it to the dealer- but the local shop we use inspects and test drives every time I bring it in for service and they indicate brakes are fine. I recall similar sounds on previous mazdas I've owned which I think the dealer corrected with some new clips and a minor adjustment to pad placement...........

I did notice back in January the first time I took it for wash- that the entire brake (?suspension) system seem to creak/groan and generally were quite grabby after pulling out of the car wash. My assumption is the brakes are still quite wet after the wash- seems to be a regular pattern with the car wash- again not sure its related.
  • samzsamz Posts: 4
    Recently, I've noticed my 2010 Pilot's fans having these 2 strange behaviors:

1. When I start the vehicle, the fans will sound working but no air from the vents. If I press the mode button to what I want, the air will come out quickly. For sure I never change the mode manually before I turn off the engine.

2. With A/C off, the fans will blow hot or cool air if I change the temperature on either the diver or passenger side. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/comments.
  • I been informed by a frined that Honda pilots have the mainder system for the oil change, I am selling my Honda 06 Ex , but in the sercvice resport I got fromn the dealer on whre I serviced all this years my vehicle, shows that the first oil change was performed at 11,939 miles, is this correct? or it was not nesccesary? ( i will definetely bring the brabd new vehicle if I will see the signal, is there aa techical explanation for this?? My potential buyer is questionning this, I will appreciet your advice.
    Thanks