Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Pilot Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• have you driven any other 2011 Pilots to see if the same condition exists?
  • lemmerlemmer Posts: 2,676
    I concur with Steve.

I have a 2006 with 87K on it. I've done nothing but routine maintenance on it. It still performs as it did when it was new. So, there is my anecdotal evidence.

If anyone wants the preponderance of the evidence, check Consumer Reports. They show it as being very reliable.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    I have a '06 EX that has upwards of 67k on it. It's still like new and I use the 4WD / low alot when off-road / mudding.

Odie
  • I bought an '03 new and it has had this problem all along. For a long time I didn't pay much attention to it and thought it was just wet shoes causing the problem. Are there any blow-ups or diagrams showing where these vent drains are located and how to clear them?
  • I am the original owner of an '03 with 195,000 on the original trans. I have it flushed periodically.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,664
    edited March 2011
    It's pretty simple really once you access the "basin" below the fresh air vents in the cowl. The drains are simply at the bottom of that basin. The trick is getting the vent screens off---I don't know how to do that on your particular car. Some have screws, some pry off.
  • I own a 2008 Honda Pilot ex-l with 75,000 miles. We've been towing an 18' boat to some local lakes for the last few summers; total boat/trailer weight is about 3,200 #. The longest trip we make is about 10 miles - although there is a chance we'll start hauling our boat up north about 3 hours away once/summer. We do NOT currently have a transmission or power steering cooler.

We're looking at changing boats and getting a 21' boat; total empty boat/trailer weight is 4,200 # and fully loaded/gassed up it will be about 4,400 #. I know we'll be close to the max towing capacity. My questions:

1) IF we stayed local, would you install the trans/PS coolers?

2) If we DO haul it up north three hours away in addition to the local towing, would you install the trans/PS coolers? (We're in MN...not too hilly around here relative to most hilly/mountainous areas of the country)

3) Any recommendations as to where I can purchase reliable parts? Prices seem to range from $150 to $400.

Thanks.
  • autowriteautowrite Posts: 221
    I installed an aftermarket cooler (Honda recommended aftermarket not theirs). I got mine installed at a company who also sells trailers. Most transmission companies will suggest you put one in to save your transmision, whether you tow or not, no matter what kind of terrain you live in. They said all vehicles should have them. Why doesn't all mfgs put them in standard? IT cost me $226 on my Odyssey.
    I agree, I'd put in a cooler; also, don't tow in overdrive if you can avoid it.
  • ak80ak80 Posts: 3
    Can you please let me know the resolution (if any)? I am facimng same problem with my Honda (onle 56K miles). I also disagree with the dealer that this is normal?
  • I finally had some time to check it out. The vent screens are an integral molded part of the entire plastic piece that goes from the door to the center of the cowl. They look very involved to get off, especially without breaking. Is there some resource that shows how to do it and/or exactly where the drains are?
    edited March 2011
    Well let's try something else then. Can you see a drain coming out of the firewall, under the windshield? If you do see a rubber tube that drains to the ground, then you might be able to insert a wire up in there and unplug it that way.

If not I think the plastic inserts in the cowl are just held in by clips and that's it.
  • rlbjr2rlbjr2 Posts: 65
    My rear shocks are leaking. Can I replace them with KYB's and keep the front stock? I will be selling the car soon so I don't want to replace all 4 and the KYB rears are cheaper than OEM Honda's. Will using rear KYB and stock front cause any ride issues? If I trade the car in will it hurt resale value? It's a 2003 Pilot EX-L.
    On a Honda Pilot, should be fine. If it were a Porsche or Corvette, I'd say no.
  • Own a new 2011 Pilot 4WD. This is our first SUV with a 3rd Row Seat, a feature which we never use. I am wondering if anyone has successfully removed the 3rd Row Seat as a modification. It does not look to be easy to do, but possible. Would reduce the weight of the vehicle and possibly improve mileage?

Has anyone tried any other ideas to improve mileage? Ours is not great. About 16 MPG combined city/hwy. Would be interested in any comments.
  • iukieiukie Posts: 1
    I did not get the fix on this question. I did read where someone had a problem with their air conditioning not working and found out it was a reisitor located behind the glove box. However, my AC is working it's just the rear AC that does not work. I have checked all fuses but have found nothing obvious or out of place. Could it still be the resistor even though the front AC is working???
    Iukie
  • caugncaugn Posts: 29
    There is a resistor that controls the blower for the rear a/c located behind the panel at the bottom of the console on the drivers side by the floor. Pull the panel off and you'll find it there.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    When my rear air did not work years ago, the following fix worked. The front air worked fine, but the rear air would not blow. It was fixed under warranty.

http://www.hondalac.com/service/Bulletins/x03-048e%20revised.pdf
  • shuff1shuff1 Posts: 1
    I have a 05 Pilot also with a mice problem! Not sure of damage under the hood, but mouse droppings inside all the time. I keep sticky traps in my car and will catch mice about once a week. The Honda dealer explained there is nothing they can do. We live in a rural area.

My husband owns all Chevy trucks, parks them in the hay barn, and never has a mice problem in his cabin!

Any ideas on how to stop this problem?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    Get a cat.

Seriously, the mice like to nest in tight areas. Perhaps your husband's truck isn't conducive to nesting.