Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Pilot Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I have no idea what the cause would be but those are classic symptoms of a feedback problem or reversed wiring.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    I thought it was my battery so I just replaced it on my own and the same thing still happened. I think Honda had some issues with the Pilot's battery but I found out too late, but this thing must have quite some current drain even while the car is parked!

I guess I'll just disconnect the battery every time I don't plan to drive it for a while.
  • We have the same issue w/our 06 Pilot. The vehicle is always garaged yet the battery has died three times this winter and twice this week. Outside temps are below zero this week. This has never been an issue w/our other vehicles. Too early for a battery to fail.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Discovered that if the driver door is not closed completely, the inside overhead lights will go out after a few minutes. HOWEVER the courtesy light, low on the driver door, will remain on and is really hard to tell from outside the car, as it is kind of covered by the driver seat.

I noticed it at night when I was about to open the front passenger door.

Kip
    I suppose this is possible but I would think I would have noticed it by the 5th time. ;)

I'm planning on buying a trickle charger to keep the thing charged when we don't use it on a daily basis.

tom
  • I am wondering whether owners of 04-06 pilots either (a) regretted not getting an extended warranty due to expensive problems arising after 36,000 miles or (b) are glad they bought an extended warranty, or (c) haven't needed one at all b/c their pilots have been trouble free.
    We have an 06 pilot exl (no dvd or nav systems, but it is 4wd) which is coming up to 36,000, the deadline to buy a honda care warranty. The warranty is fairly expensive, (about $1300 even through the dealers listed on this forum) so we are wondering if we really need it. What have other pilot owners experienced in terms of repairs passed 36,000 miles. Our pilot is running great now, but who knows what will happen at 36,001 miles.
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Cheryl
  • I went to test drive 09 Pilot in Philly area. Two weeks back when the arcitic cold was sweeping east and mid-west, I went to test drive.
    Sales rep brough key and asked me to start it did not start. I tried starting 10 new Pilots left in the lot to rot in cold, none of them started until one of them was boosted.
    I think the battery is not good on Pilot and needs boost all the time when it gets cold.

very weird
  • bob11bob11 Posts: 18
    I need your help.
    i have honda pilot 2003 model, which has a transmission problem, and the dealership told me it needs to be replaced. Pilot has 166000 miles.

With this many miles is it advisable to get the transmission replaced? or just replace the whole car. Meaning, how many other problems can i expect on this. I just had the brakes etc replaced for a 1000 $ a month ago. a 400+$ timing belt replacement is coming up in a month or two.

Should the transmission be replaced at a honda dealership or other places like aamco.
    Without getting the transmission fixed is it possible to get the annual car inspection passed?

what kind of warranty is typically offered on these replacement transmissions.
    Thanks.
    I actually bought an extended warranty on my '06 and while I haven't used it since the Honda trannys with this engine haven't been all that good in the Odyssey, I figured it might be worth it. Also since there's more mechanical things to go wrong in an AWD vehicle, I figured it's a reasonable gamble. But I only have 40k miles right now so I can't tell you for certain.

Flip a coin? ;)

tom
    I changed my battery with one that was a little stronger (more CCAs) but it didn't really make a difference, so I don't think it's necessarily the battery but rather the car must drain the battery quite a bit even while just sitting there. I should try and check it one of these days.

But any car that's been sitting a while without being driven will drain it's battery, it just shouldn't do it in only a week!
  • bob11bob11 Posts: 18
    hi i have a honda pilot 2003 with transmission problems which i have been told needs to be replaced.
    If i trade this car in, do i have to disclose to the dealers about the state of the transmission. If they dont ask then i am planning not to say anything about it.
    i dont have much experience in this area, do the dealers typically ask questions about the car that is being traded in?
    Thanks.
  • donixdonix Posts: 16
    I had an 09 pilot with 7,700 miles on it and now I hear anoise from the engine or valve tapping sound it`s not loud but it`s noticeable. Did any 09 pilot owners have this problem too?

I been already to the dealer and they said they will not adjust 6 cylinders only 4. but they try to listen it and the mechanic told me it`s normal.

It`s just ok if I`ll go back to the dealer and just let them check the clearance?, coz I know it`s not normal. beacause if they cannot correct the problem i will return it to the dealer. It`s a good Idea? Please can you give me some advices?
  • Just to let you know your not crazy, I have had an unbelievable amount of stalling with my leased 06 pilot. if you look back at old posts from last year you will see that I wasn't the only one either. After 5 long attempts at them finding the problem with no results, I took them to arbitration thru the lemon law and lost only because I needed to have 4 repairs for the same problem within a certain amount of milege on my car. Well I was over by 600 miles but I lost unfairly because all pilot leasers were awarded an extra 600 miles per year from some class action suit involving faulty speedometers. Anyway the state took my money cause they shouldn't have taken my case if they thought I didnt qualify due to over milege. So I lost an additional 250.00 just for the filing of the arbitration. But I am giving it back in a month when my lease is over and am so happy to be rid of it. Honda is great if you don't get a lemon but when you do, they are the most horrible people to deal with. /they actually said at one of their service centers that I was making my car stall purposely just to try to get rid of the truck. I'm a mother with a job,family and sick parents to take care of,( and one stall happened in a hospital parking lot as my dad was having open heart surgery)You think I would have better things to do then spend many hours waiting for tow trucks and going to every service center. Anyway if anyone wants to start a commotion of any kind, count me in even though I am done with them I will still help fight for all the other stallers out there.
  • donixdonix Posts: 16
    Now I know thanks for the Idea. well, for now I will just fix it by myself. Because some of dealer mechanic is going to be lazy or maybe they dont want to waste their time for nothing. They will wait untill the problem becomes worst. and then thats the time they will fix it and that time, the warrnty is over. or maybe some of the mechanic dealer has lack of knowledge. valve adjustment is verry basic.... I think they will go back to basic automotive course. ( That mechanic is from Union county NJ)
  • Does anyone know how to replace the lower console lights on an 06 Pilot. The Full Auto button and the button to the left of it are both out on my car. I can't figure out how to change them. The manual said to check the fuses however, I can't get close enough to be able to read the fuses. Of course I am out of warranty.
  • My car was hit front left last year. When I got it back from the body shop I noticed a loud oscillation sound coming from the front - the steering wheel also listed to the left when driving straight. The car never had a problem before the accident. They told me to get new tires and dismissed me.

I got new tires and had the car aligned. The oscillating sound continued and the steering wheel listed to the right when going straight.

I went back to the body shop and they aligned my car again and told me my brand new tires are defective (I don't for a moment believe they are) and that the alignemnt the tire shop did was faulty.

I am beyond frustrated. I am waiting for the insurance company to tell me what to do next. My husband thinks there is a bad bearing or additional suspension damage that the body shop doesn't want to address.

Anyone have any ideas? My claim is still open since the other insurance company is being difficult.

Thanks!
    Ellie
  • mitch65mitch65 Posts: 26
    This has been covered before, but Honda definitely has problems with their batteries. I have an 05 Pilot Ex, and though the battery was nearly 3.5 yrs old, I still didn't think it should have had the problems it did. The last few months, whenever I turned the engine off and left it on accessory to listen to the radio, the battery would die after a few minutes and I could't restart the engine. Happened a half dozen times in a couple of months. I guess it was weak, since I replaced the battery and haven't had problems since. But what puzzles me is why the car would always start from a cold start, if the battery was truly old and weak? It never struggled. Only when left in accessory for a few minutes. Many others had the same problem.
  • to the person who had some lights out and was told to check the fuses before trying to change the bulbs.....

My whole GPS/AV screen went out because I dropped a dime down in the cig. lighter hole inside the center console glove box and it blew a fuse. There are FOUR fuse boxes on the car and we had to check every single fuse in all four boxes before we found the one that had blown - it was the last one we checked. You need a tester light to do this and it's not hard, but I bet that's what's wrong with your lights - a fuse has blown. Don't bother trying to figure out which one it might be from the diagrams. Just check them all. There are extra fuses in the boxes and a puller, too. Very nice.

I've had a map light out for a year and can't figure out how to change it.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    Try this to see if one of the tire is really defective. Switch the front tires (L to R, R to L) if the pull goes to opposite direction then it is the tire. If the pull is same then it is not the tire.
    http://www.gsp9700.com/

quickest way to check for tire pull / vibration.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    >"I am wondering whether owners of 04-06 pilots either (a) regretted not getting an extended warranty due to expensive problems arising after 36,000 miles or (b) are glad they bought an extended warranty, or (c) haven't needed one at all b/c their pilots have been trouble free. "

Too many things to go wrong that are very expensive to "fix".

Example: Our 03 CR-V AC compressor self destructed. Car had over 36K miles and was more than 3 years old. Service writer said the cost would be in the $3000 range as everything in the AC system would need to be replaced, due to pieces and particles from the compressor "floating" around in the system, that could damage any new parts.

Truthfully, I don't know if there was a problem with the AC that Honda was "Fixing" free under some type of secret extended warranty or what. But we do have a Honda Care Extended Warranty. We paid nothing and also got a free rental car, while repairs were being made. They even replaced the hoses, which are considered a "WEAR" item

Our 03 Pilot had some kind of issue that was covered under the EW, seems it was the EGR valve. Took them 2 days to find the problem. Part was under $100, but the labor would have been seriously expensive. Seems I paid a $50 deductible but maybe not even that. Got a free rental car.

'95 Maxima, that we traded for the CR-V, had EW claims that just about paid for the EW.

For us, the EW is negotiated, right along with the price of the car. We don't buy the car without the EW, so they are inclined to "DEAL" a bit better. :shades:

Kip
  • Thanks for your thoughts.
  • The same thing has been happening to my 2007 Pilot. I have noticed the car is usually covered with dew when this occurs. The dealer has worked on it twice. Once replacing a multiplex unit and the 2d time replacing both front and rear passenger door lock actuators. Three weeks later the same thing at 6 AM.

It would appear the dealer doesn't have a clue and is just guessing. Anyone have any ideas?
  • tjc30tjc30 Posts: 11
    I have a 06 pilot that has 9K miles on it. In '06, someone hit my vehicle on the passenger side and one door has to be replaced and the second one repaired. It was a hit and run. No other issues. It was repaired at a local shop not a honda dealer.

Now, I am thinking about buying an EW but wanted to make sure this incident does not bring any issues down the line ? Or is it ?

Can someone advice. Please..
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    I know I haven't posted in awhile, but I'm always reading. Anyway, besides going through the local dealers parts department (which will be expensive) does anyone know where I would be able to get a replacement lower front air dam for the passenger side. Oh yeah, I have a 2006 EX Pilot. My wife the other night after our lovely development finally decided to plow the streets block the driveway with the mound of ice tried to go into our driveway by driving through the mound. she mis-judged the edge of the curb and caught the cement with the air dam and CRACK. this is the little black part that hangs down infront of the passenger front tire and has a little curve to it. I've also checked on College Hills Honda parts page and can't seem to find it listed as a part. I'm going to give a call to a local salvage yard on Monday to see what they can work out. Looks like an easy repair as it is only moulding and no electrical or A/C ducting there. :sick:

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    I know what you mean but I can't find it in the Bumper section either. Best is to take a photo or email them with below photo though this's 09 model pic that can show that piece.

• odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

This is a nice close up on it. Turns out it is te Right Fender Liner. Goes from this part all the way around the wheel well. Checked my local Hoda Dealer and they need to order it. $70 for just the part, or $92 for part and install. Colleg Hills has it for $53, but not sure on S&H. I'm gonna give a ring to a few salvage yard tomorrow and see what they can do.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    Don't know whether this the correct one ...

HondaAutomotiveParts.com (Majestic Honda)
    Under FRONT - FENDER
    P/N 2321147 FENDER, R. FR. (INNER) $48.54
  • rodutrodut Posts: 343
    Hi everybody,

Does anybody have a table showing how fast the battery should loose voltage because of the current draw when the Pilot is stored for weeks - months in a garage ?

I find it weird that my 2008 Pilot battery reaches 11.9V (so 60% of the charge is already gone) after only 2 weeks of storage.

I have an electronic rustproofing system (kept ON all the time) and I am afraid that it takes too much current. Or perhaps actually the Pilot itself wastes too much current when shutdown ?

I used the following table:

Voltage____State of Charge
    12.6V_______100%
    12.5V_______90%
    12.42V______80%
    12.32V______70%
    12.2V_______60%
    12.06V______50%
    11.9V_______40% (so here I am after only 2 weeks !!!)
    11.75V______30%
    11.58V______20%
    11.31V______10%
    10.5V_______0%

Regards
    :shades:
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Is there any way to turn off the rustproofing system during extended storage?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper