Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Air Conditioning Still Blows Cold - 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
imageAir Conditioning Still Blows Cold - 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

It never seems to drop below 74 degrees in southern California and I'm prone to break a sweat at around 65. As a result, I'm constantly maxing out the air conditioning in our long-term cars.

Read the full story here

Comments

• agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    " I'm prone to break a sweat at around 65." That a genetic thing? I'm no fan of sticky heat but even I don't get icky at 65°F. In low humidity I can take 90-100°F so long as my head is covered and I have plenty available to drink.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    It's amusing to me that now we have to post "hey, here's something that still works" on this car now.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @emajor,

To be fair, the vast majority of things on this car still work. Considering its NASA-level complexity that is no small achievement. However, rather unsurprisingly, its known problem areas are in fact problematic. Who would have thought that the most complex suspension system ever created would be problematic in its first iteration? Similarly, who would have thunk that a V12 requires careful maintenance?
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I find it hard to believe that you actually want it to be 54 degrees in the cabin if it's 74 outside and you probably don't have a jacket with you. I know for a fact that it does get colder than 74 in SoCal. Also don't believe that you are literally breaking a sweat at 65. And I'm betting you don't actually have any blankets for your passengers to reach for.

Exaggeration and hyperbole get old as journalistic devices.

Also, of course, setting any thermostatically-controlled HVAC system to the lowest possible temp setting won't drop the temps any faster than just setting it to your desired temperature.
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    I'd be willing to place a small wager that the refrigerant has been replaced, or at least topped off, at least once since the car was new. But as long as the pressure wasn't allowed to drop too low, or at least not long enough for the seals to dry out, it doesn't surprise me that the system is still working. And it is good to turn it on for a while at least every other month even when temps are frigid, to circulate the refrigerant and keep those gaskets nice and plump.
  • b189b189 Member Posts: 4
    nice to know then my 03 CL55 with 106k and my hvac system is still working as new lol