Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    rwestmoreland1rwestmoreland1 Member Posts: 3
    I do thank you for your feedback and my intention was not to call you a liar...just as I said... that it was erroneous..I appreciate your candor.One of our servers does pull information from our inventory and does post pricing.They are not authorized to put pricing for CRV's..Odyssey's..S2000's or Pilots..As I am sure you know ..it is our web page providers job..(and mine..).. to make sure the info is correct..so if there was pricing ..they are the ones that corrected it and put the "please call"..So I do have a problem with them if they did post that pricing...The info you posted ..as you can see.. is MSRP and INVOICE..so if they put that under pricing..they definately were mistaken..
    Once again ..I apologize for the inconvenience..Arrowhead Honda has always had a great reputation and I am sorry that we cannot earn your business.Hopefully after July 1st..we will be able to price the vehicle at MSRP for internet/fleet customers...That is the reason for not responding also..because the fleet/internet department is currently not selling the unit..As far as your opinion..most certainly that is your right..that you choose not to purchase from us ..but considering that our dealership is ranked #1 in customer service with a 92.1%
    rating..I just felt compelled to let the public forum know that also..congratulations on your purchase...The ride and drive with Honda was exceptional and you will enjoy your new vehicle...

Randy
  • Options
    leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    My son purchased in Feb 2000 an S2000 with every available option from the show room floor. He paid $36,000.00. He had not one problem with it, sorry he has one problem since purchase, keeping it under 30mph over the posted speed limit! It was # 1551 produced and has just turned 15,000 miles of trouble free driving. Just like all the Honda's we have had.

We have order our Pilot EX-L Silver @ MSRP that will be coming in July. Honda's forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    << earn your business >>

It seems like every time I enter a car dealership, this phrase crops up from the sales rep...

"What can I do to earn your business?" "I want to earn your business." If I've heard it once, I've heard it 1000 times. It's a pretty worn out (sales) cliche, to say the least.

Bob
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't know, Bob. There are certainly places I would rather not hear the phrase - such as from an ambulence driver or a neurosurgeon: "I'd like to earn your business..."

However, I think I'd welcome it at a K-Mart, Home Depot or even an Albertson's!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    loutamloutam Member Posts: 1
    Hey - thanks to this message board we just picked up our Pilot at MSRP!! We got an EX with Leather. Our First choice was Havasau Blue, but they had a Black with Grey Interior that was ready to drive away in NOW and looked sweet. We wanted Running Boards and they were happy to oblige for $699 installed (We have to go back for them - no biggy).

We had read an earlier posting aout Yuba City Honda (<1 hour North of Sacramento -- about 2 1/2 hours from the Bay) on this website. It said the name of the salesman was Frank and we sent an email via Yuba City Honda's website and --- Voila! -- <24 hours later we were driving a Pilot we bought from Frank (who is a really nice guy for whatever it is worth).

Lou
  • Options
    benzrulesbenzrules Member Posts: 13
    Sorry to hear about the experiences that others have had with the Pilot. I began looking about a week ago and closed out the deal yesterday at MSRP with pickup scheduled for later today (Saturday). Having purchased 4 cars in the Houston, TX area (with 2 being wait listed in several areas - Mercedes Benz SLK in 1999 and the Pilot)in the last 3 years, I have noticed a trend. Houston also seems to have a pretty ample supply at MSRP while California (particularly Southern) always seems to have a hard time finding these in demand cars anywhere near MSRP. I remember when I purchased my MB SLK at about 3K below MSRP in 1999, the dealer said they were still marking them up about 5K over MSRP in Sou Cal. However, like some have said on here before, if you feel the car is worth what you pay, then you probably aren't getting screwed. Good luck to all.

BenzRules
  • Options
    jcopejcope Member Posts: 10
    I had two separate deposits on Pilots in So. Cal since April. One at Weseloh Honda promising MSRP and one at Ball Honda in San Diego promising 500 over. I became anxious when finding out that Weseloh did not call me and was selling the exact car I ordered for 3,000 over MSRP.
    Ball Honda soon called me letting me know my EXL red was in. I went in feeling they may try to jack up the price and play games also. I was pleasantly mistaken. Ball Honda stuck to their original agreement of 500 over that included a protection package. They were outstanding and made this car buying experience the best I've ever had. Customer service and satisfaction is important to them. 500 over in So Cal is pretty good and can still be had if you get on their list. See Patrick or Greg tell them Jim sent ya.

The car is great! It cruises on the highway. I feel like I'm going 40 then I look at the speedometer and I'm doing 80.
  • Options
    It's a hackneyed phrase, which has little or no meaning anymore. Every time I hear it, I know the sales rep has been some sales class, and has been told that this is the "buzz phrase" that will help the sales rep close the deal.

I don't trust (or believe) anyone who says that to me. I see it as a "programed response," with little or no credibility behind it. All it does for me is raise red flags.

Bob
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    With our website, inventory gets posted from Reynolds. We have to enter product into inventory in order to sell it...even though it could have been a pre-order and already be sold. It's sometimes confusing, especially when I get calls from customers in neighboring states for cars that aren't available.

Jerry
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    what would you rather they say?

"here's your price, shut up and stroke me a check?"

Sales is a profession and salesmen that act accordingly take their profession seriously. Language, attitude and action is all important.

Jerry
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    LOL!

I think I would prefer the "here's your price, shut up and stroke me a check?" approach. At least you know where you stand with something like that. If it the price were right, I'd give him the check.

Sadly, Jerry is correct. The average customer would rather hear sweet nothings. That's what a professional sales person must give them.
  • Options
    millsk1millsk1 Member Posts: 24
    Customers don't generally tell you what they want. They say,"I don't want to negotiate," but the first thing they do when you give them a figure is make an offer. The game is on. However, I also hate that I want to earn your business crap. I have never been to a sales training class, and I have been to more than a few, where they tell you to say that. That stuff is cheesy.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Bob,

I see what you're saying but I view it as being similar to greetings like "Good morning. How are you?" Most people (strangers) don't really care how you are! But it is polite. And if you're having a particularly lousy day, they really don't want to hear it anyhow.

Similarly, car sales people aren't really interested in your answer to the question "How may I earn your business?" since the obvious reply would be "Sell me the car for $4,000 under MSRP!"

For me, politeness will at least keep the discussion going and I'll walk out of any showroom where the salespeople are not polite.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    ssmintonssminton Member Posts: 155
    Congrats on your Pilot! Looks like Weseloh lost out on both of our business as well as as bashing on the net. Maybe, they will play more nicely with customers in the future?
  • Options
    rhammond1rhammond1 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a new Redrock Pearl Pilot EX-L last Wednesday (6/19/02)for $33,500 (not including tax and registration) from Penske Honda in Ontario, CA. Purchased the vehicle off the lot, with roof rack cross bars, chrome highlights on the bumpers, bug deflector, and side running boards. The dealer stated he had received 20 Pilots on Saturday, and by Tuesday, was down to 7. Experience at the dealer was positive - minimal hard sell, probably because these new Pilots are in demand. The Pilot has plenty of power and a quiet, smooth ride. The feeling of quality is noticible on slamming the doors and in seeing how the suspension soaks up bumps.
  • Options
    hoghead85hoghead85 Member Posts: 2
    Just put in my order for a EX-L NAVI Redrock Pearl from BALL Honda in National City, CA. I tried to find a deal at MSRP or below but didn't. The price was an even 37,000 with the accessories(Bike Carrier --Hitch Mount, Crossbars,Fog lig,Full nose mask,Rear Sp Gurds,Run. Bds.,Tral Hitch Package,Wh lks,All SFMats,Auto D/N mirror,Cargo Cover-liner-tray,Sep. Net). Was this a good deal? I think so, but only time will tell.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    I'd recommend you cancel your order. Folks here have indeed found some California dealers who will sell at MSRP, without forcing accessories. At that price, you could also get a plane ticket to, say, Arizona, and drive the vehicle back.
  • Options
    benzrulesbenzrules Member Posts: 13
    The real question as to whether you got a good deal is whether you want all those options. If you do, then you are paying about $700 more than the suggested price at Honda.com. If you don't want those options, I'd recommend you cancel your order. I purchaed a black Pilot, worked out the paperwork and drove the car off the lot yesterday with the options of my choice for MSRP (in Houston). It's too bad to see some areas conducting business this way - however, if people keep buying these vehicles with all the unwanted options, then the dealer will obviously keep selling them. If you want less options, or different ones I'd recommend you look around like wmquan said at Phoenix, or even closer, Las Vegas. Either way - good luck - it's a great vehicle for the money.

PS - for that money you could almost buy an Acura MDX Touring unless the local Acura dealers are also selling over MSRP.

Benz
  • Options
    sjwsmwsjwsmw Member Posts: 131
    Thanks Danny for the information. I am on a list with a 500 deposit and a promise of MSRP at Honda in San Juan Capistrano. Waiting for the Sagebrush color EX. We shall see what happens when it arrives if they hold to their word.
    This sounds like a good backup plan.
  • Options
    myjumbomyjumbo Member Posts: 3
    I called Gardena Honda and was told the Pilot are sold with MSRP plus dealer installed options and they all have dealer installed options from $2000 to $5000.
  • Options
    xpilotxpilot Member Posts: 3
    ...i really don't mind that i paid 37 gran. it came out alarm/security system, running board, deflector, lower trim w/ foglights, 7% tint back and 70% on the driver front passenger side, 6yr./75,000 mi. extended warranty (roadside assistance) plus 1 yr. free maintenance. it's a silver metallic. that dvd player? got that portable dvd player already just hook it up from the cig. lghtr., all i need now is a magellan handheld gps nav.. we can't really price how much our happiness is...as long as we have that big smile in our face, that's all what i need!
  • Options
    lxusruleslxusrules Member Posts: 33
    I found that MSRP is available from few dealers in SoCal. Sometimes it depends on who you talk to at the dealership. I called Sierra Honda and a person told me it's msrp + DIO. I went there and talked to Rudy, he told me I can get it at MSRP if I get it as soon as it comes in. Right after car arrives, there is no DIO. So you have to find that person. At Gardena Honda, I bought it from Fred.
    Also, if you are willing to drive out east, there are dealer in Hemet, Riverside, and Victorville that will sell you MSRP or much better price.
  • Options
    bumblejbumblej Member Posts: 10
    Called Hardin Honda in Ahaheim, CA and Brian (may not be a real name) said that they had the silver EX w/Navi and there was no mark up on the vehicle. When I went there to look at the Pilot and they had a $4,000 mark up. Talked to a salesman and said that I was willing to pay $500 on top. Then he said that they couldn't make it and I left. Few days later on Jun 9, the salesman called me and said their sales was slow and the Pilot that I wanted was still there and promised to sell it at $500 over MSRP. Sounds good and I went there again. However when I was doing the paper work, another finance guy came and said that they could only do it at $1,000. I was mad because it was not what they promised. The hungry salesman said that he needed some sales and agree to get it for $700 over and he would pay me back $200 in cash. I didn't feel good about this already. When I continued to do the paperwork, the finance guy came again and said that the manager won't sell in for at least $1,000 over MSRP. I was so mad at them and yelled at the manager because they didn't have communication with one another. It was not the matter on a few hundred bucks, they were just wasting my time !! Then I left and I saw an ad on a car magazine on Norm Reeves Honda in West Covina. Called them and the salesman David said that they had the exact vehicle that I wanted. Without playing a game , I got mine at $1,000 over MSRP with 3 accessaries like splash guard, wheel locks and cross bars. Even thought the 3 items worth around $300 but I had a much better experience and shop much happier.
  • Options
    terry07terry07 Member Posts: 15
    Bought a Silver Pilot EX from them. Most unstressful car buying experience I've had. Called them up and they quoted me MSRP on the phone. Stated out front,all at MSRP, they don't even charge dealer fees. Faxed me a written buyers order for MSRP plus tax and title of $31,900 out the door. Called me as it rolled off the truck, had it detailed and inspected and by the time I got there, spent about 20 minutes signing papers and was out of there. I'm in Tampa (2 hrs south) and all the dealers here are charging several thousand over and still arrogant. Wade Raulerson is worth the trip (ask for Bruce), although they now have 32 people on there waiting list for Pilots.
  • Options
    iceman03iceman03 Member Posts: 10
    I got on the LIST for the Pilot about 2 months ago. I got the internet price of MSRP -$200.

Silver EX-L /RES ($32280)
  • Options
    mtnmavenmtnmaven Member Posts: 1
    Please let me know as I am planning on buying an EX from them.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    davisdogdavisdog Member Posts: 99
    mtnmaven...no idea about clovis, but several of us have bought or are buying from Merced Honda...about an hour up the road from clovis...MSRP and hasslefree...
  • Options
    artjohnartjohn Member Posts: 1
    We bought our Nighthawk Black Pilot EX-L RES at Sport Honda in Silver Spring, MD. two weeks ago at MSRP without any DIO's or other phony dealer prep fees whatsoever except State tax and title fees. Would have liked to have purchased it closer to invoice, but this was by far the best deal on the Pilot that we found in this area. Most other Honda dealers in the area were (perhaps still are) loading the Pilot up with overpriced and unnecessary options (Ourisman Honda in Bethesda being the worst offender, Brown in Arlington not too far behind Ourisman's sorry example). Got to Sport Honda via Car Point on MSN, and dealt with Dave Kelleher who was completely straight forward, no games, entirely professional. We are very satisfied. No problems yet with the car, but it is way too early to tell. Last I spoke with Sport, however, they have little or no inventory, so depending upon the color you want, you may have to wait. Good luck--we think the Pilot is worth the wait, but ymmv.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    ...automobile buying service to purchase a Pilot? If so, how was the experience?
  • Options
    forgetfuforgetfu Member Posts: 1
    Agreed. I've had a great experience (to date) with Sport Honda. My Sage Pilot is on order and should be here in September. I'm glad to hear your experience was positive. After all the bad experiences i've had in the DC area I was concerned that Sport might change everything they've told me to date. Thank you for calming my nerves. :-) Dave has been a pleasure to work with.

A couple of other points about the DC area:

Shockley Honda in Frederick - also selling at MSRP w/ no DIO's. no processing fee. Nice to work with.

Virginia Beach Honda, Mechanicsville Honda, and Williamsburg Honda are selling at MSRP if you're willing to take a day to ride the rollercoasters in sourthern Virginia. All 3 have processing fees, but they're reasonable.

Brown Honda in Arlington quoted me MSRP w/ no extra DIO's over the phone which they wouldn't honor when i got onsite. Their vehicles had DIO's and wanted me to pay a fortune for em.

Herson's Honda in Rockville told me they'd order one at MSRP. When I got there, they informed me all of their orders had been sold through the forseeable future However, they were "buying vehicles from other dealers" so they could customer meet demand. They were willing to sell me one of those but only if I bought the $1000+ in DIO's. What a crock. Walked out on them.

Fairfax Honda wouldn't let me test drive. This was true on the first day and still true a week after the pilots had come out. And they are way over MSRP w/ DIO's.

Most of the other DC area dealers: They are selling above MSRP, but at least they're being honest about it. Can't fault someone for trying to make a buck. I wasn't willing to pay it, but i respect the fact that they didn't play these MSRP lying games to get me in the door.

Ended up filing a couple BBB complaints and calling the Fairfax County consumer protection department. Also contacting the state. Not sure who to call about Maryland dealers. I don't mind high prices, but I have a real problem with wasting my days driving around to find out that I'm being lied to.
  • Options
    copilot2copilot2 Member Posts: 1
    Any one know a dealer who can sell a Starlight Silver Pilot-EX Leather for MSRP with no other fees or options.

Thank you
  • Options
    leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    If you want to travel to New Jersey, yes a EX-L Silver @ MSRP August or September delivery date!
  • Options
    jdubbsjdubbs Member Posts: 8
    Hoffman Honda in Avon has been selling for MSRP.

FYI: If you can wait you can save approx $200. In CT if you register a car after Aug 1, you don't pay property taxes on that car for a full year. If you register the car in July, you have to pay 25% of what the years property tax bill would have been.
  • Options
    aerostar45aerostar45 Member Posts: 19
    The first and only Honda I tried in DC/Baltimore area is O'Donell Honda at the route 40, which is the closed to where I live. They are selling Pilot with no markup nor DIO nor Dealer fee. After reading all the negative post of dealer markup, I thought I should be satisfied to this deal so I didn't try any other dealer.

I ordered an Black EX from them.
  • Options
    I live about 5 miles from O'Donnell Honda, and have bought several Hondas from them over the years. They seem to be pretty good.

I also stopped by Jim Coleman Honda in Clarksville, and they are charging out the wazoo for Pilots. I would stay away from them, at all costs.

Bob
  • Options
    millsk1millsk1 Member Posts: 24
    I am the Internet Sales Manager for a Honda dealer, and Sam's, etc. will not save you money. Those services work great for vehicles that are in stock that the dealer needs to move. I consider them bonus sales. With the Pilot or similar vehicles, however, I know I am going to sell them anyway. I won't sell them for a different price to a Sam's customer. I am sorry for your experience, bumblej. If I were the sales manager, I would have sold it to you for what the salesman said and taken it out of his *%(*%^()*& check! There is no need for lying. I am glad you got the vehicle you wanted.
  • Options
    spartanman2spartanman2 Member Posts: 61
    Picking up my Pilot next week (Paying MSRP, plus I added a few accessories). I plan on keeping this vehicle for several years.

QUESTION: When we sit down to do the paperwork I'm sure an extended warranty will be offered beyond the 3/36. Should I; Shop around?; Buy it?; Rely on Honda's build reputation and ignore the sales pitch?......Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
  • Options
    benybeny Member Posts: 4
    As much as I enjoy my new silver Pilot EX, I still wonder how my deal rates against other Pilot customers', especially in Long Island, NY. I paid $500 over MSRP; got an acceptable exterior color; waited for 2 weeks for delivery; got 5.9% financing for 60 months and paid reasonable fees for processing of necessary paperwork (registration, title, etc.). I purchased the vehicle on 06/20/02 practically on 2 phone conversations with the sales rep. I also got the Pilot without options I did not want. I think it was a good experience overall. What do you think?
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    What are reasonable fees? Under $200? Did you have to add any accessories?
  • Options
    terry07terry07 Member Posts: 15
    what are reasonable fees. I picked up my silver ex on Wednesday in Gainesville, FL (live in Tampa). Paid $100 under MSRP with no fees. Dealer doesn't charge fees for any vehicles. Just $90 for the tag and sales tax based on $29,630. If $500 over is the best you could find in your area and you're happy, then you did good. I see "suckers" in Tampa paying over $3k in mark ups.
  • Options
    ship3ship3 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a black EX w/ cloth from Cardinal Honda on Rt 12 in Groton, CT.
    Paid MSRP minus $100 with no DIO.
    They don't have any new in stock but if you order today the wait is 3 - 4 weeks.
    The sales people are easy to work with.
  • Options
    benybeny Member Posts: 4
    Good question guys. The dealership here in Long Island charged me a processing fee (for registration and title services) of $20.00. The bank that financed the whole purchase amount charged me $50.00 for something called Vendor's Single Interest Insurance. No accessories or DIOs were added although I intend to have running boards and a bike rack installed later. Is it a good idea to defer such options to a later date so as not to complicate the purchase of the vehicle?
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Now I just had a customer report back to me they were wonderful, charged MSRP and not a penny more. I guess it depends on who you deal with.
  • Options
    rlj4pilotrlj4pilot Member Posts: 5
    Hi, this is my first post and I'm a newbie to all of this.

I put a deposit down on an EX with cloth. The dealer wrote down his price and then gave me a VIN number and said the build date was May 30 so it should arrive within 3 weeks. At the end of 3 weeks he said they had not shipped it yet and they were still waiting for it to be shipped and they didn't have a clue where it is. The second thing is that I cross checked the VIN number with CARFAX and it turns out that they gave me a VIN of an EX with leather.

Now, I would think a dealership would know where they're inventory is and when it is going to arrive. Is that correct?

And if they gave me a VIN for a leather EX was that an accident or are they giving me the run around?

I would really appreciate some advice because this is starting to smell fishy and I'm new to this car buying game.

Thank you in advance
  • Options
    rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    You don't need one it is gr4avy for the dealership. Ignore their pitch.
  • Options
    rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    Smells bad.
    Dealership should know the CORRECT VIN of vehicles in their allocation.

The Pilot/MDX plant (like many other Honda plants) builds COLORS the way Ben & Jerry's makes FLAVORS -- in one or two batches at a time.

I'm guessing they had too many takes for the color you wanted and/or tried to get anohter silver from a freindly dealer somewhere else.

There is little you can do other than to HOPE they get what you what SOON. I would politely phone and ask if they have the VIN/build date. Tell them you would like a yes/no on that. If they start with the run around you have two choices (neither good) stick with 'em or shop other dealers. If you do decide to stick with 'em I would try to HELP THE SALESPERSON stay focused on THEIR COMMISION, reminding them that the more they do FOR YOU the SOONER they will GET THEIR COMMISION. Stop by and visit, but be polite.

If you decide to shop elsewhere it will NOT do you any good to tell the new salespeople about the other store's screw-up. Again, just help them STAY FOCUSED on THEIR COMMISSION, by reminding them that THE QUICKER THE VEHICLE GETS FOUND THE QUICKER THEY TAKE HOME THIER REWARD...

Good Luck!
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Also, once the VIN is assigned the car is usually at the dealership within two weeks.
  • Options
    bumblejbumblej Member Posts: 10
    I bought my 6 yrs / 100K miles comprehensive extended warranty for $800. Original price was around $1,400. My friend has a Odyssey and the compressor of the A/C broke down after the factory 3 yrs / 36K warranty expired. Lucky that he got the extended warranty and it save him $1700. Since Pilot is the first year model and there are a lot of electronic components, it may worth to purchase the warranty so that you have a peace of mind. You may need to bargin with the dealer. They have a less expensive plan but it covers up to 75K miles. If you decide to keep your Pilot for a while, buying the extended warranty seems like be a good investment.
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Where in houston did you get your Pilot I am in the market but haven't shopped hard. I just moved to H-town and have only visited the honda dealer on the south 610 loop (near Med ctr). They had 2 with DIO's and another couple that just came in plain. Let me know by either posting where you bought here or sending me a quick e-mail.
  • Options
    litespeed51litespeed51 Member Posts: 3
    I just received an email from Jason at Lodi Honda near Stockton CA. He said they have six on the lot and they are selling at MSRP. When I called two weeks ago, they wanted 3k over MSRP.