Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Crossfire

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
Here's your place to talk about the upcoming Mercedes-Chrysler collaboration, the Crossfire. Read all about it here!

kirstie_h
Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host
Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• petra02petra02 Posts: 33
    Remember the 300 HEMI C? It's the Chrysler convertible that was shown at the 2000 Detroit Auto Show. It was thought to be on it's way to production for a while. Then in 2001 it was thought to have been killed during the restructuring plan. However, carandtrucknews.com reports that it may still be produced, around 2005.

However, the Crossfire is also coming, next year. My thinking is: If the 300 HEMI C was cancelled, does the Crossfire fill the gap? If they have the Crossfire, I don't really see why they would need the 300 HEMI C. However, could the 300 HEMI C still be alive, perhaps under the "300N" nameplate?

Also, let this thread be the host for anyone who just wants to comment on the Crossfire, seeing as how an earlier one was deleted.
  • They are 2 very different cars, IMO. The Crossfire is smaller, V6, fixed roof, probably sportier handling.
    The 300 Hemi convertible is more of a big, relaxed cruiser, V8, convertible - a luxury car. I think there is room for both of them.
  • Want to see a Crossfire ? Go to the Mercedes-Benz dealer and ask to see the SLK line.Chrysler can put these guys on the road whenever they change their markings and lower their standards to remake an outstanding car.Go see the hardtop convertable..,drive a dream,have some fun for a change.
  • The Crossfire won't cost as much as an SLK.
  • I was amazed that Edmunds didn't think the Crossfire will be produced. I just received my brochure on the Crossfire from Chrysler yesterday. I am told it will be about the size of the Audi TT only wider with 215 hp. Why only 215? That is much less than other vehicles in its category. 215 HP with such large wheels. I hope before the mid-2003 showroom intro they will up the H.P. It needs to be able to run with the Z-4, S2000, Z350 etc. Base prices suggested to be around $30,000.
  • Saw Crossfire at auto show in anaheim. On rotating pedestal. Disappointed with retro interior and no DVD navigation. Otherwise I would go for it.

One less buyer.

Dennis
  • Honda Accord with 240hp, Acura CL/S with 260hp, Nissan 350Z with 290hp, Infinity G35 Coupe with 280hp, Mustang GT with 260hp, Mach 1 with 305hp, Chevy Camaro Z28 with 310hp. All in the $30k range. What is Chrysler thinking?
  • mwdreammwdream Posts: 91
    Is that a joke? Car looks like it should be 300hp. My Buick Regal GS is 240hp. I can't wait to smoke it... Even the 300M has more power....

What is going on? Are they expecting a lighter car to make up for the lack of engine?

Are we going to get a cheap American looking interior? It is a shame for such nice lines on the outside to cheap us on the inside. At least the corvette has power...

I don't get it. For the money I think i'd go with the G35 or Nissan 350Z

Do they even offer a bigger engine option? Supercharger ? Whats the deal Chrysler???
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    yes, but the crossfire has CELINE DION.....
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    I do not know about the power, but in the pictures at Chrysler.com the interior sure does not look cheap. In fact, it is at a much higher level than the Corvette, a car I like very much.
    vette has twice the hp though
    Very true.

And if the Vette team sticks the looks on the new Vette, the Crossfire will be hard to pick at the suggested price. It is a very good looking car though.

Plus, per autoweek.com, it will come as a drop top.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    I wonder if they're focusing the appeal on women, though. The only commercial I've seen for it so far is the one with the lovely, 30-ish woman driving and singing, so maybe it's a different target market?

kirstie_h

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Could well be. I hope my wife does not pick up on that though. I want a Crossfire for me!
    that's celine dion singing...enough to ruin the whole car for me
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    I saw it last night in Providence ... like all ofyou, I couldn't touch, but the interior and exterior looks very well put together. This one was the concept with the vertical headlights, but they had a video of a production model.

The immediate impact is 'stunning.' I recall the first time I saw the Prowler, and the first time I saw a PT Cruiser .... same effect. It lasted, in each case, through about 5 or 6 viewings, then the surprise and the charm wore off.

Maybe it is being marketed for women, but with a more potent engine it could appeal to an audience of 100% more people (and usually, car interest).

JW
  • xa4xa4 Posts: 22
    Are there Crossfire prototypes out there making the PR mall tour? If so, does anyone have the schedules?

Thanks.

My $0.02: I think that 215 hp and 3000 lbs. will be quick enough for me. The Z4 has just 10 more hp and breaks 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. I'm just wondering if my golf clubs will cram into the back.
  • This car is not a Chevy, Honda, nor any of the cars that have massive HP along with a massive sticker. It's style, class, and elegance. If you want a race car then I suggest local drag strips or join the NHRA.
    I am sure with modifications you could build up to 300hp but why?
    I think most have forgotten the domestic market and this is Chryslers' way of saying hello again America. And just in case you have forgot purchasing American is the true American way.
    "I am sure with modifications you could build up to 300hp but why?"

If Crossfire looked like Caravan, I'm sure it would be okay with everyone. But it looks like a bat outa heck ... most Americans like to be able to live up to whatever their image is: this one is fast.

"I think most have forgotten the domestic market and this is Chryslers' way of saying hello again America. And just in case you have forgot purchasing American is the true American way."

Malarkey. In this "free market" system, value wins the market. When the 'big 3' offer value, they win market share. If the Crossfire needs a bigger engine, even as an option, they'd best offer it for people who 'value'it, assuming there are enough of us, that is.

As it is, if the performance isn't there, there are some of us who will continue to be willing to pay a premium for German, Japanese, or anyone else who can come up with a car that goes like it looks.

JW
    The Crossfire is quite German. It is built by karman in Germany on a Mercedes platform.
  • Yes it is German and yes it would be nice to have the HP that it's competitors produce but riddle me this. Would you consider buying the C class Mercedes? It's nothing but an affordable Benz for the poor.
    When Hyundai made it's debut in the US it was trash but look at what they have done now.
    Did the Vette start with 405 HP? NO.
    It improved changed morphed if you will into what it is today.
    The most important thing to remember no matter the manufacturer noone is really willing to build an automobile with all of the capabilities it will ever have the first time out.
    This is just a taste of the direction Chrysler wants to head.
    If buyer's buy it and demand more i am sure Chrysler will give them more.
    "The Crossfire is quite German. It is built by karman in Germany on a Mercedes platform."

Of course you're right. But the man was arguing for a Chrysler (American, he called it) purchase. Thanks for keeping it in perspective. (I hope no one tells us we have to wait for an AMG version :-}

JW
  • The funny thing is nowadays American isn't even American. i.e. PT -Mexico, Vans Canada, 300m, concorde Canada.
    What difference does it make?
    I will still order one and am sure quality and will be the best. Just unfortunate that numbers will be limited.
    Now you have me hoping there will be an AMG version.

And why not? The Crossfire is a Benz with Chrysler styling. What better Chrysler to be the first to get the AMG treatment?
  • How about a RenneTech version.
    I do believe Chrysler even though it's German has taken a step in the right direction and before you know it you will be going to a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Benz all in on the same lot.
  • hi, not only is it built in Germany, but it's got the looks of those baby Benzes, in particular from the front.
    I prefer the '01 Detroit Auto Show concept car's frontend VERY much to the production version. The stacked headlights would have been a bold step out of the general bunch (see Cadillac), the split front window was just ultra cool, and the bigger (more Chrysler-like) grille exuded much more power than these standard air intakes, which you will ruin at the next steep parking garage exit.
    Concept v. production = dream v. reality.
    Welcome back to earth!
  • xa4xa4 Posts: 22
    It's more than expected that Chrysler will launch the Crossfire with the base 215 hp engine and then bump it up in the following years. Practically every car from a Neon to a 911 has gone through this power improvement process.

Here's something that may make you want to wait another year for your Crossfire:

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evo_news_story.php?id=31338
  • I don't understand the reason for waiting. It sounds like procrastination and just when you think they can't take it any further they will then when will you buy.
    I am all for purchase now and buy again later. If you think about it if you bought the 01 PT then you would be in line for the 04 convert. Funny how brand loyalty has gone down the tubes. It also is what drives trade in values down.
    another good reason to wait a year! Actually, this is a good, practical thing to do with most any car, even the Japanese.

Brand loyalty? Hmmmm. Are you a dealer? You sound like a dealer? Dealers say things like that, along with "How do you expect me to feed my kids with this deal?" and "No, the warranty doesn't cover the engine if it falls out."

JW
  • Question to you all? If Chrysler is such a bad product it certainly creates alot of discussion. Why the heebie jeebies of a good product?