Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Crossfire

Comments

• smogdungsmogdung Posts: 349
    12 spark plugs......you're kidding....right? I knew it was 3 valve/cylinder & VVT....but 12 spark plugs???? No wonder it runs like a striped [non-permissible content removed] ape!!!
    Hey zq8, after about 800 miles I have to say.....WOW, this thing is so much fun...the more I drive it the BETTER it gets! (6-speed). >24MPG rocket! Fantastic daily driver & part time rocket. At 1/2 the price of a Corvette & $2K less than a MazdaSpeed 3 (10 times more solid than the Mazda...I tested 2 of them). Took 200-300 miles to get accustomed to the travel/throw of the clutch....now I'm a PRO! The throw of the clutch now seems perfect for easy city stop & go traffic...the car won't jump out from underneath you unless you're really trying to be stupid in traffic.

Would I buy another.....my thought is if I was wealthy I'd buy every one I could find & store them away......

If you can find a new 6-speed Limited & get it for less than $23K like I did...with a lifetime warranty......Jesus Man...go get it before it's gone!!!!

I'm 55 ...a little over 6 ft tall & I fit OK, & hope to drive it till I can't push a clutch anymore.
  • Yes.....in a heartbeat, but it would be an SRT6!!!!
    Wow, I'd probably get myself in trouble with that one.....go for it! Keep in mind....nobody is ever gonna call these suspensions mushy......
  • sue05sue05 Posts: 4
    OMG, in a heartbeat. I have had my roadster for 2 years, black on black on black. I am the envy of all those moms driving minivans, SUV and mercedes too.

My husband is 6'4" its a little tight but I drive him around. He feels like a KEPT MAN when hes in MY CAR!

Don't hesitate, just do it!
  • Most sport convertibles are little hard to get in/out. But this Crossfire is for keeps. I could do 140MPH no problem, very smooth and stable on the highway at 140. But, watch out for other cars at that speed, you are just seconds from there rear end. If Chrysler decided to contuine production for this car, I would like to see them with few more inches of leg & head room and also I would perfer upgrade to SRT option.
  • I bought a 04 ltd auto with only 11,500mile in white with grey interior, for $15,000
    this for a car that looks like it was never in the rain the underside is so clean.
    The car attracts people like bees to honey, and it is a blast to drive. Why they are
    not holding there value better is strange seeing what a fun car they are.
    After driving it for 1,500 miles the brake lights don't work , the cruise control
    quit and the ESP/BSA warning light came on. It's under warrantee so chrysler will
    fix it but I was wondering if anyone else out there had a similar problem. I think
    the problems are related because the are all somehow connected to the braking
    system.
  • Sure, I would buy one again. In fact I did, I am on my second Crossfire.

The car is a great piece of automotive design and execution. I have a roadster and they really attract attention.
    Chrysler Ends Production of Ill-Starred Crossfire

Date posted: 12-20-2007 Edmunds Inside Line article

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Chrysler apparently hoped that its slow-selling Crossfire would die a quiet death this week. The end came, without any official word or fanfare from the company, on December 17, when production of the vehicle ended at the Karmann plant in Osnabrück, Germany.

Chrysler officials confirmed the end of production for Inside Line and noted that the Crossfire's demise will not be marked with any ceremony. The final Crossfire off the production line is apparently bound for obscurity, too. "There are no plans to put the final vehicle in a museum," said Michele Tinson, a Chrysler spokeswoman, on Thursday.

Pulling the plug on the Crossfire is "part of our initiative to have the right products at the right time," Tinson said.

On November 1, Chrysler announced that the Crossfire, Pacifica, PT Cruiser convertible and Dodge Magnum — all slow sellers — were being discontinued in response to "dealer requests.

"These actions reflect our new customer-driven philosophy and allow us to focus our resources on new, more profitable and appealing products," said Jim Press, Chrysler vice chairman and president. "Further, these product actions are all in response to dealer requests."

Tinson said she was unable to provide 2008 volume numbers for the Crossfire, saying "We don't track it. Germany does."

But statistics compiled by Automotive News show Chrysler sold only 193 Crossfires in November and still had 1,000 unsold cars left in stock on December 1.

What this means to you: Look for some year-end fire-sale pricing on those last 1,000 Crossfires.
  • I am about ready to purchase 2007 Roadster in Houston. The MSRP is $37,365.00. Dealer has offered a discount of $12,500.00. It appears that some have done much better. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Wait till they call you back.....my deal improved 2-2.5K$ after walking away & not calling them till they left the 3rd message on my answering machine. But don't wait forever.....there's only a thousand or so left supposedly.
  • Thanks for the advice. I will give them some time to stew.
  • some people are getting around 15K off the price at this time.
  • It's a shame too, hell of a nice ride, I wanted one.
  • Hello. I am new to this forum because I am just now starting to consider purchasing a Crossfire. People sure seem to like them. I have four questions I am hoping you can help me with:

(1) I have seen a few 2006 models advertised, but are these really 2005 models?

(2)There are many good used 2005 models out there as well as some nicely-discounted 2007 models. What are the differences between the 2005 and 2007?

(3) Any particular problems to look for when buying used?

(4) Given that these have a lot of Mercedes parts, are the parts and service expensive?

Thanks for any insight or advice you can provide. I appreciate it.
  • I am in the Houston area and just now considering the Crossfire. There are plenty of new 2007's being offered with 12k to 13k discounts. These seem to be a better deal than the used ones I have found in my area.

Biggest issues I have investigated are 1. Expensive tires to replace, 2. Expensive oil changes, 3. Mercedes realibility which some say is good and others say is bad, 4. Expensive to change headlight bulb.

Good luck.
  • Too answer some of your questions.

To both 1 and 2 - Just the VIN numbers were changed and I believe some minor MINOR features that are pretty insignificant. No more SRT though.

To 3 - I bought mine used wiht 19k back in '95. Look for the same as any other car, but go back through the forum as I've seen some refer to the cooling system having issues. I had mine for 2 years problem free. Only got rid of it due to becoming a dad.

To 4 - Uh YAH!. Oil changes range anywhere from $80-$120. I had the package, so I never paid for mine. But with 70% MB parts, yes, it can get pricey, especially from the dealer.

I hope this helps somewhat. You will probably get a few more responses due to varying experiences with their vehicles. I wish I could add more, but I had a truly problem free, beautiful ride! :P
  • I changed my headlight bulbs myself in a Wal-Mart parking lot at 1 am and it cost me around $35 for a pair.

You can get some decent replacement tires at tire rack. OEM will be pricey though.

Right on the mark with oil changes.
  • Thanks for the quick replies, folks. Very helpful.
  • If you are interested in an SRT-6, they were only made in 2005. As that is the model I have, I am not that familiar with the differences over the years in the base coupe (yes, there are 2006 models). One of the perks about buying an older car is that the taxes and insurance are usually lower. The depreciation is really not a factor in buying a used Crossfire as the dealers are discounting the newer models so heavily.

The answer to question #4 is - Yes. These are expensive cars and repairs can be expensive. I usually think warranties are rip-offs, but for this vehicle I would highly recommend a Chrysler warranty. They aren't that expensive - you can get a good extended warranty for about $1300. These require synthetic oil changes about every 7000 miles which can run around $100 + (these cars take 8.5 quarts of oil!)depending where you take your car to get serviced. Keep in mind an independent Mercedes shop may be a good place to get this done if your Chrysler dealer is too outrageous and you don't feel confident in your own skills.