Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1960's Pontiacs

Comments

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,593
    those were actually fairly rare. By then most GTOs were automatics, particularly 'verts (mine was a ragtop). I don't have stats but I know that the vast majority of 60's musclecars were bought with juice boxes and 2bbl carbs.

If it was really about performance you got the pillared coupe with few options on it not related to speed (these were the rarest).

Damn, I'm going to miss this board!

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• carnut4carnut4 Posts: 574
    had the 383 with the big Chrysler 4speed, manual steering and brakes. Now that car took some effort to drive, even being an intermediate. The way that 4speed shifted, I think it might've been quicker in the quarter mile with a Torqueflite. If I had that same car now, I'd want it with a Torqueflite and power steering.
    Damn I'm gonna miss this board?
    Isn't there a way we could save it?
  • ndancendance Posts: 323
    is a funny thing. There were a bunch of models which were 4 speed only for one thing...personally, I've never owned an American high performance car with an automatic and have hit only a few when shopping...OTOH, I don't doubt that most GM A-bodies (especially Cutlass/422/Skylark/GS) have automatic transmissions.

As to saving the board, I'm all for it too. The problem with having older car discussions on the other boards is that some numbnuts is always (I mean *always*) going to chime in about how well their Kia (or BMW, or whatever) does something better than the car being discussed. The average person has real difficulty talking about concepts in the abstract rather than bringing their own situation into the mix.
  • ndancendance Posts: 323
    I've never owned a Chrysler muscle car (always Chevrolet or Ford, never could hang with that goofy starter), but...*man*...those shifters are great honkin' things in RR's and their brethren. The 'Coyote Duster' is pretty cool, though.
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    Carnut, remember what would be considered an intermediate in 1965 would probably be considered full-sized in 2003.

And it's been said before, but I'll say it again:

"Damn, I'm gonna miss this board!
    Isn't there a way we could save it?"
  • wq59bwq59b Posts: 61
    >>"I had a four speed '69 GTO... those were actually fairly rare."<<

1969 GTOs manual trans installations actually were 44% (both 3- and 4-speed), and if you 'pull out' just the GTO convertibles, 36% had manuals. Thats not rare at all.

In other musclecars- yes; manuals were much more infrequent, to the generally accepted point of being rare (the Buick GS is probably a good candidate here).

The long throws of the column-shifted 3-on-the-tree probably negate much of the gearing/rear ratio advantage. My buddy had a 3-on-the-tree '53 Merc I drove a bunch- not easy to speed shift: your hand traveled almost 2 feet with each shift. Maybe by the late 60s they shifted quicker/shorter in general.

I guess I haven't been here long enough to know: what 'ends' a discussion board... what's being referred to above???
  • parmparm Posts: 723
    Go to the Classic Cars discussion main page (showing all the classic car topics). At the top of the page, you'll see in red letters that Edmund's is shutting down the Classic Car discussions.
  • wq59bwq59b Posts: 61
    I see it now. Great- a civilized board with a bunch of knowledgible people having interesting discussions. Yea- that needs to go. I guess any reason behind it is inconsequential at this point.

Anyone have any potential future congregation spots?
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    "I had a four speed '69 GTO... those were actually fairly rare."

A guy in my Pontiac club has a 69 Judge 4 speed RA 3...always brings home a trophy.
  • chris396chris396 Posts: 53
    I drove a Charger RT with a pistol grip 4-speed. It was like shifting a truck. The throws were very long.
  • parmparm Posts: 723
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2408211911
    This one will sell for $30,000+ as the reserve has already been met. This one has most of the goodies in that it's a 4-speed convertible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2408239660
    This one is at $16,200 which is pretty strong for a hardtop - albeit a nice one as far as I can tell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2407998242
    4-speed hardtop (currently at $8,100) that doesn't look as nice.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    ...looks great and has some nice 'luxury' options, but I certainly *hate* aftermarket speakers in the front doors at this price, and I'm not too fond of the overspray on that ID plate. Nice car, though.
  • I had some work done on the Throttle (TPS and IAC) now the 1988 vehicle runs poor. Especially in Idle or pulling out from a stop. Then it shifts at the wrong speed. (2nd gear is +40 MPH, 3rd at about 70MPH) These shifting points gradually settle down to the normal speeds if I continue to drive. However if I turn of the car and let it sit for overnight or more than a few hours the problem comes right back. I was reading that the Throttle stop has to be adjusted if work was done on that area. Does anybody know how? Another symptom is the car will run fine at highway speed. I can drive it for hours at 55-65 MPH but when I stop and turn off the engine then try to start it again it sometimes does not turn over. I get real knocking, bucking and dies trying to get up to speed. I did the TPS adjustment myself with a voltmeter. (It was way off) Some drivability improvement was seen. Now I am trying to see if the same idiots who installed the TPS got the cable messed up. Oh yes, it has Air, Automatic and less than 100 thousand miles on the engine.
  • Hi there, I'm new but you seem to know your stuff.

I just picked up a '74 Nova with some Pontiac rims on it. The original steels were rusted out...

Could you please tell me where these wheels most likely came from?

Here is the ebay page. If you scroll down there's a picture of the wheels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290137663928&- ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,511
    I imagine that was a pretty common Pontiac wheel for several years, so it's hard to tell, but there was the Pontiac Ventura version of the Nova, that would be my guess (emphasis on guess!).
  • Hey, thanks for the response. I now know that they're rally II's. What I don't know is if they put out different versions of those wheels. Either way, thanks!
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,848
    I'm not positive, but I think the Rally 2 came out in 1968 on Pontiacs. The big cars used a 5-on-5" bolt pattern, while compacts and intermediates used a 5-on-4.75" bolt pattern.

If those are 14" rims, they most likely came off a Firebird or maybe a '68-72 Tempest/LeMans, or a Ventura like Texases said. If it's a 15" rim, then most likely it came from a '73-77 LeMans

I'm not sure when the Rally 2 was finally phased out, but I know I've seen 80's Bonneviles (the RWD G-body model),Grand Prixes, and Parisiennes with them. Pontiac started offering a Snowflake Rally around 1976-77 and another style called the Honeycomb, and I think it was around that timeframe that the Rally 2 started to lose its popularity.

I think they're sharp looking wheels. I have a '76 Grand LeMans with Rally 2's, and I want to get a set for my '67 Catalina convertible. Just been too lazy/cheap to get motivated on that project! :blush:
  • Awesome. Thanks man. This forum is so cool. They're wrapped in Winston Californian I's.
    P215/75R15. So must be the '73-'77 LeMans then. How much do you think I can get for 'em? They're not that great condition. A little rust, and a couple of the emblems are missing, but all the ring covers (?) are there. Tread's pretty good for what its worth.

Thank you very much for your help.

Robert
    Northridge, CA
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,120
    Remember that 1969 Catalina convertible we saw at Macungie with the messed-up Endura nose? How would you fix that and does anybody make aftermarket Endura noses? I'm always worried about those filler panels on my 1989 Cadillac Brougham but fortunately there are aftermarket sources for them. I'm sure you've seen how awful a Caddy looks when those filler panels go bad! Vomitrocious!
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,511
    Take a look at what they're going for on Ebay.