Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

External Hard drive to HDMI

sahamsaham Member Posts: 1
edited December 2014 in Honda
Hi guys

Is is possible to connect an external hard drive with an HDMI cable to watch movies on the touch screen display in CRV-215 Touring?

I have not been able to find a hard drive or the cable to convert USB to HDMI.

Thanks

Comments

• apple_gapple_g Member Posts: 7
    The screen is for "mirroring" only. You cannot simply hook a HD up thought the HDMI port. The audio screen provides no input to the attached device. You can on the other hand, hook up a computer, tablet or phone that has HDMI  out capabilities to mirror what is on that device's screen. This only works while the car is in park and not moving. The exception to this is when using Honda's Hondalink apps such as navigation. 
  • HamsaladHamsalad Member Posts: 7
    Was considering buying the Hondalink app for navigation but the reviews on iTunes make it sound like a complete waste of $100.00 (cable cost of $100 and app cost of $60.00). Any takers that can comment if it's worth it or am I better just using the App directly from my phone and letting the voice come over the bluetooth for the voice instructions? Experienced advice appreciated.
    I forgot to leave the link to this video that shows how to use the app. It show the app on a Honda Fit and was made before the '15 CRV a came out but it is pretty much the same. 

http://youtu.be/P2RgyREQSig
  • chea89chea89 Member Posts: 57
    Apple-g
    Can you tell us the cable or cables purchased from Amazon?
    Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Can you answer the phone while the app is working, or will that also freeze the nav screen?
    chea89 said:
    Apple-g Can you tell us the cable or cables purchased from Amazon? Thanks
    You just need an Apple lightning HDMI cable, an actual HDMI cable, and a lightning USB cable. The most expensive one is the Apple HDMI cable but the other two you can get as generics. 

Can you answer the phone while the app is working, or will that also freeze the nav screen?
    I haven't taken a call while running the Nav app yet. I can try it and check back in. 
    Took a call today while using the nav app. The nav does pause from the screen while the phone call is taken, then resumes once you hang up.