Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• I just got my quest in June and it's getting it's first oil change this week. I will be using a full synthetic, but I haven't picked which one yet.

I talked to the service manager at my dealer about synthetic oil and he said Nissan doesn't have a position on synthetic oil. Then I asked him about extended drains and warranty. He said I needed to change the oil at least every 7500 miles. He also suggested I change the filter at 3750 even if I don't change the oil.

Car oil filters are full-flow filters meaning all the oil has to go through the filter before going to the engine. Because of that design, the filters can't be too efficient because a highly efficient filter would restrict flow. Even the higher end filters aren't very efficient nor are they made for extended use.

So what my plan is to go to the dealer with my oil, get the change done and take an extra filter with me which I will change myself after 3750 miles. I want to get on a 7500 mile schedule so I can get the oil changed and tires rotated at the same time.

On a side note:

There are aftermarket kits that use a strategy called "partial-flow filtration." This strategy is used a lot in hydraulic propel applications for off-highway vehicles. Hydrostatic transmissions use oil to transmit power to the wheels and they require VERRY CLEAN fluid. Basically, a portion of the oil is sent through a super-efficient filter and back to the reservoir. It is not in-line with the oil delivery to the oil galleys in the engine. This filter will clean the entire volume of oil in some periood of time, and will remove almost all particulates.

Someone using a partial-flow filter and a top-of-the-line full synthetic could go 25,000 miles or more between drains. Synthetic oil just doesn't break down like petroleum oil does. It doesn't contain parrafins, the molecules are smaller and more uniform in size. It doesn't require pour-point depressants or viscosity improvers. It's the additives in oil that wear out necessitating frequent changes. Deal with the contaminants and you've got lubrication that will last and last. In fact, contamination build-up will be the only reason you'd have to change it at all.

So, if you want to extend drains, I recommend changing the filter at regular intervals anyway. That is, unless you want to go with an expensive partial-flow mod, but then you might be able to go two years on changes instead of six months.

Ben
  • I've decided to change the oil/filter twice a year (Fall and spring) with Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30. I use Fram ToughGuard oil filter for better protection. Maybe I'll switch to Fram Extended life next time. We drive about 12K miles a year. Is there anyone out there that's doing a similar routine? How has it worked for you?

Our 05 Quest has 34,000 miles on it. We have been using Mobil 1 since the first change at 7,500 miles. We change every 7,500 miles. In the past we have performed oil analysis on several vehicles and determined the oil is doing its job after 7,500 miles - even conventional oils on cargo vans used for towing. We bought four new company vehicles since 05 and put them all on Mobil I from the first change to see how they do. All are changed at the factory recommended 7500 miles.

We try to use either the Mobil I or Purolator Pure I filters as they have synthetic filter elements that are a little more uniform. I don't know who makes the Nissan filters, but most OEM filters are decent or better.

After reading http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
    I would never use a Fram filter. We don't want to take any chances on that terrific Nissan motor!
  • That's very educational. Thanks. Where can I find a "partial-flow filtration" oil filter?
  • A few years ago I read from a similar site that rated the Fram Tough Guard fairly good. Of course that site thought the regular Fram was junk too. Every since then I have been using the Fram ToughGuard, seemingly with no problem. But I'm more than willing to give others a try.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Based on all the studies and improvements in motor oil, it seems like the 3month/3000 miles maintenance needs to be reexamined as an industry. If you only drive your vehicle 10k miles a year, change the oil every 6 months. Or if you are over 15k miles, change it every 7500 miles. Or soomething like that.

Another way to weed our oil "habit"
  • Just checked the mpg for the last 5900 miles (up to 34,000).

Average was 21.9. Low was 17.8 and highwas 29.5, but both those were partial tanks.
  • The standard 16" rim on the Quest is 6.5" wide and has a 40 mm offset. The standard rims on most Maximas and Altimas seem to be 17", 7" wide with a 35 or 40 mm offset.

We bought some 2004 Maxima take-offs. They are 7" wide and have 35mm offset. This moves the contact patch 1mm in and 11mm out. We weren't concerned because the rolling diameter is the same or less and folks are using 235 width tires that are at least 10mm wider in each direction.

We will use the 16" rims for snow tires.

• Do a google search on "Bypass oil filter" and you will find lots of information. It's commonly used on heavy equipment and diesel trucks. It might be alittle harder to find an automotive sized kit, but they're out there. I also suggest reading The Motor Oil bible. There's great info there about synthetics and filtration.

Ben
  • Nissan to shift 2 cars out of U.S.

Associated Press

TOKYO -- Japanese automaker Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. plans to move production of two vehicles to Japan from the United States to save costs on automobiles produced in smaller quantities, according to a news report Sunday.

Nissan will move production of the Quest minivan and the Infiniti QX56 sport utility vehicle from the company's plant in Canton, Miss., over 2008-09, Japan's Nihon Keizai business daily said. The paper did not identify its sources.

Nissan said it sold 40,000 Quests and 15,000 QX56s in North America in 2005.

The Mississippi plant's pickup truck production would increase.
  • Why was this thread closed anyway? Sometimes I have hard time keeping up with all the changes in Edmunds...
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Hi, sopecreek,

You can read more about the recent changes in our Forums Software -- Your Questions Answered discussion, but the most important thing is that the main Quest topic is up and running again. Welcome back :-)

Claire

HOST

• I agree, at least they've reopened some of the basic forums, such as this one. I too didn't think it made sense. Now I just hope more members/owners come back....
  • In an attempt to change format to smaller & more diverse discussions, you went "read only" on "Nissan Quest 2004+ Problems & Solutions." Since then, with the exception of a few tire posts, it seems as though virtually all 2004+ Problems & Solutions discussion has disappeared. For a short time, you removed "read only" from the original 2004+ Problems & Solutions thread, then you locked it again. My point is that 2004+ Quest is substantially different from all previous Quests, and the original thread is an excellent place to share & track problems. Can you please unlock it again? Thanks.
  • Hello, just purchased a 2005 quest base model with 3000 miles. I need the rear seat headrests in beige cloth!!! If anybody knows where i can get them used please let me know..i have been searching everywhere! Thank you!
    email me at robertnj63@aol.com if you have any ideas!
  • Ebay or a dealer are probably your best bets. Not many junk yards will have 2004+ Quests on hand for parting out.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    To get this board back to life, here's an update on our van. We bought it in June 05 and it now has 18K trouble free miles. We get about 21 mpg in mixed driving. The van is a stylish and comfortable family hauler. Couldn't ask for much more.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    I'll continue.

Or 05 SE bought in June 05 has 20K miles. We get 17-18 mpg in mixed driving...which bothered me until I looked at the average speed (reset at each fill up). An average speed of 20 mph is not going to give good mileage.

Passenger sliding door is making strange noises...like squishing Styrofoam...have to check to make sure nothing is jammed in there.

A few of the squeaks bother me...but is usually masked by the other noises of child seats, loose change, DVD floating around, etc.

Even though this van originally can out in 04, we still (5-6 times a year) get comments from strangers on how “awesome” it.

On a side note...I've finally discovered how to drive it “smooth”. The van would shift hard during normal driving. What I found was that driving manual for approx 20 years has trained my right foot to lift slightly just before the [non-permissible content removed] would occur. In order to drive it smoothly I have to apply a constant throttle position...and keep myself from glancing at the tach. If only they placed a 6 speed manual in the thing :)
  • Our 05' was bought 11-28-04, has 26K miles gets sucky mileage due to waiting in car lines to pick kids up, letting it idle in parking lots while kids watch TV and stay warm or cool while wife shops, etc... no major problems just the squeeks and noises, basket dings, bumps, scraps, dents, added a hitch to haul a jet ski, added DVD with 4 headrest monitors, gps says it will run at least 120 mph hehe. Looking for more upgrades, wheels, better monitors, etc.
  • Anyone notice the HP ratings on the Quest went DOWN for 2007? There's no mention anywhere of it...anyone know why?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    new ratings...the engine makes the same amount of power as before.

There was a Detroit article that mentioned a large number of Japanese manufacturers had their numbers go down while the domestics remained the same or went up slightly.

numbers are just numbers...as long as it performs the same...