Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    Never mind. I did it.
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Posts: 44
    Hi,
    I've been thinking about changing the air filter myself. Glad to find your recent post. Do you know how often it is recommended to change the air filter on Quest? Where can I find some instructions on how to do it? Which brand did you put in? On autozone website, they listed 3, 2 generic ($6-9), and one K&N filter ($45). There was some discussion about air filter on this forum a while ago, but I can't remember if it's worthwhile to spend $45 on the K&N filter. Thanks.
    Phuc
    Our van is two years old and has 25K miles on it. The filter looked very dirty with bugs and black oily stains. I put in the regular Fram filter which is good for 12k miles according to the box. I guess the frequency really depends on your driving conditions.

It was actually fairly easy to pull the filter out. The cover has two clips on the right side and two pins that snaps into two slots on the left. You unbuckle the two clips on the right side, then push the cover down while sliding it to the right to pull it out of the two slots on the left. Then you just replace the filter. The hard part for me was close the cover back up. I don't know if it was me not being handy enough, but the rubber seams on the Fram filter were too big. I ended up tearing them off to close the cover. I think next time I'll try a different brand to get a better fit.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I think you can get more clearance by disconnecting the electrical connection. The Fram filter should fit perfectly without modification. this is the brand I use.

BTW, the directions for replacing the air filter is in the owner's manual.
  • green_teagreen_tea Posts: 14
    I changed my filter to K&N during winner time. It seemed the gas milage improved a little (1 MPG or a liitle more) at the beginning. The Fran filter should be fine. I followed the owner's manual to change it by my self. It is not that difficult.
    Thanks. Maybe I could've got it to fit had I spent more time trying. It was getting dark and I was in a hurry.

Now I worry the filter is too leaky without the seams.
  • exploder750exploder750 Posts: 159
    Due to the location of the air inlet on the '04+ Quest, the air filter is prone to bugs, dirt, and debris. I've installed a Fram Airhog, the type that you clean and re-oil yourself, $40. This will pay for itself in a hurry. I've noticed that very recently Walmart has started carrying a washable air filter that doesn't nee oiling, looks like a nice one for under $40. Well worth the money if you're cleaning it as frequently as is needed.
    I recently changed the oil and got a couple of issues fixed under warranty. Now our van is quiet, smooth and runs like new. The two issues were a buzzing and clicking noise. It tunrs out there're known TSBs for these. If anyone has similar problems, let me know and I'll post the dealer's repair report.

Fuel economy also improved since the oil change, although still lower than what we got in the pacific northwest. I thought the southern california climate would give better fuel economy due to the lower humidity. But I guess that's not the case.
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Posts: 44
    I have another question for you regarding the air filter. The Quest maintenance schedule booklet recommends to change the air filter every 15K (or 7.5K but will double check it), along with the usual oil change, etc. Is it easier to follow that schedule and have it done at the dealer/garage where you bring your car? Or you change it because you feel that the filter gets dirty before the 15K interval? Or does the dealer charge too much to do that?
    A week ago, I changed the air filter for the first time after 2 years and 23k miles. The filter was dirty! Should've changed it a lot sooner. I do my own oil and air filter changes. It's easy enough and saves money, so why not. I don't know how much shops charge for air filter change, but it can't be that much. I'm guessing maybe $10-15?

I think from now on I'll try to change the air filter every year, which is about 10K miles.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Posts: 160
    Well, the day before we left for a week long trip to the beach, I noticed a loud knocking in the engine at 2500 RPM. I called the local Nissan dealer and they wanted me to bring it by. So, at 2pm on a Friday evening I took it by. You know you've got problem with the service advisors and the mechanics come to listen and all shake their heads in bewilderment!
    So, they checked the oil a few times, changed it, checked the oil pressure, ran a computer diagnostic, and all OK.
    Time to call the engineers in TN. So, they were on the phone with those guys for almost an hour. They have never heard/seen this, and the engineers hadn't either. They authorized the dealer to drop the engine and check the timing chain and tensioners.
    So, no van for the beach trip! :(
    After working on the engine, sure enough, it was the timing chain hydraulic tensioner that had gone bad. So, be aware of that, as you couldn't tell unless reving the engine....

Mark
    2004 Quest SE
    42,000 miles
    I hope your van is still covered by the extended warranty?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    He should be covered byt the extended bumper to bumper warranty and/or the powertrain warranty.
  • ckeoughckeough Posts: 15
    I just changed my air filter at 19K, I usually do it based on visual inspection, not mileage. I was quite dirty and I'll be checking it at 12-15K from now on. We just completed our 1st long trip since getting this van new in 11/06, it's an 06 S Special Edition. The only problem we've had which I did post about in April was transmission, dealer replaced it at 16K due to slipping/downshifting. We drove from Rochester, NY to North Carolina Outer Banks and got 27-28 MPG south of DC and 26 going through PA hills. Mileage was better than I thought it would be; we get 19 MPG during weekly driving. Still have not had to touch the brakes, tires look like I'll get the common 30K for the OEM.

Chris
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Posts: 160
    Oh, left that out...yep, covered 100% under warranty. Just out a van during repairs. All seems fine with it now....
    :)
  • f1236089f1236089 Posts: 25
    I just sent my van in this morning to have a engine noise checked. The noise would come on whenever the van is under load or going uphill around 2000~2500 rpm. I hope it is not something like yours. Fingers crossed.
  • tjshantjshan Posts: 28
    Famo.

Have had our 06 SE in twice for exactly the same thing...the service mgr keeps trying to tell me it is the car's "natural harmonic" please keep me appraised of what yours says...we are bringing ours in Wed again for the same issue and could use some backup

Tom
    tjshan68@aol.com
  • afp1afp1 Posts: 1
    One morning the quest would not start. Had it towed to the dealer on June 20, 2007. The dealer said the Engine Control Module was the cause. Now it is July 20 and still no module in stock. Nissan Canada said it should be available around August 6. Almost 2 months with no van. Am I unlucky or is this common?
  • maillouxmailloux Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my quest 04 last summer.had it towed to the dealer.Told me it was the ECM lucky it was still on warrenty ,new module cost a 1000.00$ dollars.no more problem since excep with the right hand sliding door.
  • tjshantjshan Posts: 28
    Well, another trip to the dealer and the diagnosis is that I am imagining the vibration, or that I am too sensative. The diagnostics on the engine show it to be running fine. I recall some months back reading that someone here had found a service bulliten for this problem, anyone recall where to find that bulliten?