Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    It was covered under warranty so I didn't have to pay. I posted this problem on another forum: http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/quest/407-2004-quest-p0745-code.html

I don't think it was too involved but who knows.

My point in posting this was it could be anything and it could be nothing with the "check engine" light. The key is to find out what it is the code. then you can go from there.
    I've noticed twice in the past month the oil pressure light (looks like an oil can with a drip of oil coming out) has flickered on as I am turning off the van (my wife is the daily driver of this vehicle). It comes on so brief, you can easily miss it. I have 70k miles on the Quest and change the oil every 4000-5000 miles.

I know the manual says to have it checked out. I wanted to find out what are some potential issues before taking it to the dealer.
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    I would be very wary of aftermarket O2 sensors and catalytic converters especially on Japanese vehicles.
    My friend had a 2000 nissan sentra sedan...and he had the error codes,,,the dealer said that O2 sensors and catalytic converters had to be replaced.He had them replaced by a local garage with aftermarket ones and it totally messed up his car making it non-drivable.
    The thing with these aftermarket sensors are that,,they are not the exact fit,,,so,,they have to be customized to fit properly and then these mess up the onboard computer and damage your car.
    So,,buyer beware,,,please be aware of these dangers before going aftermarket.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    Hi all,

I got the engine error code "P0420 two way catalyst bank 1". This sounds like the catalytic converter or O2 sensor? Does the Quest have two converters? Any suggestions on how I can fix it myself? Thanks!

Also, is this repair urgent? The van drives great.
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    Yes,most probably its the cat.converter.And ,do not install aftermarket ones.It ruined my friend`s car .U can order them online from a Nissan dealer -original Nissan Factory OEM parts-- and then take it to your local dealer.Or u can ask your local dealer to match the internet price.
    And get it done soon.It can damage the emission system.
    The catalytic converter might still be under warranty. The emission control warranty is 8 years, 80K miles. I'll call dealer to make sure.
    Confirmed, the catalytic converter is under warranty. I'm so relieved.
    Thanks for posting that your catalytic converter is covered by warranty. It might help others.
    Update:
    The catalytic converter passed the dealership's test. They reset the ECM per Nissan's instruction on this code. I'm picking up the van now. If the light comes back on, they'll replace the cats.
  • Hi, Have a 2005 Quest and i always hear a constant clicking on passenger side floor area. It almost sounds like some type of relay, but there is no rhyme or reason as to when it "clicks". Does anybody else experince this clicking noise?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    Not from passenger...but it sounds similar to sounds we have.

We've just learned to live with them...sometimes it's the quietest tomb like ride...other times it's like a bunch of bolts in a coffee can...odd rattling from within the sliding doors (yes junk removed :) )
  • I agree. My quest has more rattles and noises than the Clampett truck, but it is paid for :shades:

I am still looking for help on how to keep the power door closing consistently without taking it to the dealer for a $100 "adjustment & cleaning" that will last two weeks or less :confuse: . Anyone have experience with other brands of minivans & power doors?

Calvin
    So the light came back on in less than a week. I took the van in and they replaced the catalytic converter under warranty. Would've been a ~$1500 job. Now the van appears to get better gas mileage. I'll need to have driven a full tank to confirm though.

They found a few items needing replacement: brake pads and engine fan belt. Can anyone recommend any type of brake pads that you particularly like?Also, how easy is it to replace the engine fan belt myself?

Thanks.
    My belt has some cracks (38K miles). Has anyone here changed the serpentine belt on their van? How long do these things last and is it an easy DIY job? Thanks!
  • n_qn_q Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,

I have 2005 Nissan Quest, 3.5S, 95K km, extended warranty, almost no problems.
    Currently we found it has cracked resonator(s).
    Original symptom - humming or vibration inside the car, exactly at 2000 RPM, seems to be coming from exhaust because we hear it only when accelerator is pressed. It was also reported by other owners here:
    http://questdriver.com/node/163
    there is a tsb 05021 suggesting loose heat shield - so when I went to dealer, all they did was cut off cracked bracket and remove the heat shield, and charge me $50 for it.
    When I picked up my car, I was almost happy that it was only $50 fix, but after driving it 50 meters I could still hear it, so I went back. Unsuprised service manager tells me that in this situation it must be the crack in the resonator pipe - $700 and of course, not covered by our extended bumper-to-bumper warranty.
    Based on what I have read here and at other forums it seems that Nissan is pretty bad when it comes to the quality of its exhaust system - everything from manifold, to catalytic converter, brackets, heat shield to premature corrosion and anything else.
    It is our 1st Nissan and possibly last one - cost us $40K. I'd rather buy GM or Chrysler for $15K and spend $15K on repairs and keep extra $10K for myself.

If anyone experiences similar problems, DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT agree to get a patch repair kit, since these are reported to last weeks-6 months only.

Problems with the exhaust system quality have been like this for a number of years. There are tons of postings from Pathfinder owners (same engine as Quest) with these complaints.
    http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/nissan/TTG7L43U0AKTKACBF/p8

Also, my friend has fixed his 2003 Pathfinder resonator by welding it, it has lasted perfectly now for 4 years.

What I find unacceptable is fact that crack in the resonator is causing leak of Carbon Monoxide, which in the emergency situation e.g. flat tire or stuck in the traffic would cause Carbon Monoxide poisoning of occcupants inside the Nissan Quest - and these should be better handled by Nissan as a corporation rather than settling with Pathfinder owners. What about us - Nissan Quest owners.
    Why wouldn't this repair be covered by the extended warranty? Also wouldn't it be covered by the 8 yr/80k mile emissions warranty? You need to make a call to Customer service or Regional Manager.
  • n_qn_q Posts: 2
    My understanding is following (also this is for Canada but should be same for US) - resonator is not part of the emissions like catalytic converter (this is what I have read on Pathfinder forums where people complain about it a lot).
    I can understand not being part of the emission warranty but a exhaust resonator should not go bad so quickly and should be coverred by the extended warranty. It's not like it is designed to be a wear and tear part.

I would keep pushing. If they don't cover it, I would find an independent shop to do the work. You'll at least save money on the labor and quite honestly an aftermarket part can't perform much worst than this OEM part. And it will be cheaper.

Good luck.
  • Its about 6 weeks now and my van mileage is down to 13mpg no matter where I drive. I have about 37000 miles on my Quest 2005. I have never had any major service done on it. All I have done so far is just timely oil change.

Any ideas on this is greatly appreciated.
  • If your performance is not suffering & no service engine light it sounds to me like your brakes are hanging (emergency brake stuck?) or some other drag issue. I had two bad wheel bearings at 50,000 miles and lost 3-4 mpg as far as I can tell.

I am only a quasi mechanic, so hopefully somone else chimes in.

Good luck,

Calvin