Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    Here's an article that goes into details.

Since the new Quest hasn't been out 90 days, the dealers are sure to make a profit on holdback for the first few months. Who knows what deals Nissan has made with the distributors or dealers though.

As always, focus on your out the door price and don't worry about how the salespeople are making their car payments.

Steve, Host
  • acedriveracedriver Posts: 131
    Holdback is dealer profit which they will NEVER share with you. But, having the knowledge of holdback helps if they start ranting on how they are selling the vehicle for a loss etc etc. If they give you the old "you are taking food from my children's mouth" talk, shove the "How you make profit with holdback" line in their faces !! :-)

Invoice price is what the dealer pays for the vehicle, but that is NOT their final cost. They get incentives, holdback, commission and lots of other hidden things which you and I will never know about. To be fair to the dealer, a price of Invoice price + 2 or 3% profit is a good deal for you and them. Some dealers hungry for sales will share their holdback or part with it completely, but don't count on it - Especially, on new hot selling vehicles (In which case, you ca forget negotiating too :-)
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Sounds like the Quest is really turning more heads than a top of the line Sienna. Personally, I like the Quest, and I like how the SE has the SkyView roof. I like the blue exterior and the sand exterior. The Green Tea looks kinda ugly, just like the medium green on the Saturn L-Series. But the interior is kinda different and more daring than any other car I've seen, with maybe the exception of the S-Series/ION transition last year. Just think about it, the old Quest was dead boring, and the new Quest is full of daring and boldness that no minivan before it had dared to go.
  • modena2904modena2904 Posts: 16
    I posted in message #330 how I was disappointed in the look/feel of the beige leather interior. Well, my wife went to look at it tonight, and she really liked it. I'm still not that crazy about it, but it's going to be her car, so her opinion is the one that counts.

I guess the bottom line is you need to go look at this car and make up your own mind. We've now got an SE on order -- Tea Green over beige, Dual DVD, Nav. Once we get it, maybe I'll post more thoughts about life with the Quest.

One final note -- these things do not seem to be flying off the lots. Most of the dealers around here (Baltimore, MD) seem to have two or three in stock in various trim levels, but none of them has told me they've actually sold one yet.
  • A few more details we found out today...

Regarding the fabric armrests in Quests with leather seats: although neither the factory nor aftermarket leather option includes replacing the fabric on the armrests with leather (as would be the expectation, right?), a salesman told me today that he thought the armrest fabric could be replaced with leather for a "reasonable" fee. The fabric in the middle and rear looked like it could also be replaced with leather. Still, when you add a leather option to a near-$30k vehicle, the armrests should be included.

Regarding DVD control: all of the Quests we saw (SL's and SE's) had, at the left-middle passenger's head level, a little console that *looked* like it could be used to operate the DVD, if present. So it looks like there might be another option for DVD control besides the remote and the ill-positioned main controls at the front passenger's seat bottom.

We saw an SE for the first time. There are a number of "design afterthoughts" in this model. modena2904 already mentioned one: the extremely flimsy retractable sunshades on the overhead windows. These can easily be snagged (and I expect ripped) on the sides of the slots they ride in. We also wondered if they would become brittle and crack after years of sun exposure.

Another design afterthought on the SE: the extensions on the sun visors cannot be extended when the visor is in the forward position. The overhead console in the SE is in the way. The interference is through the entire swing of the visor. I quickly saw two different ways this flaw could have been easily addressed. It was obvious Nissan simply did not think through the SE's overhead console. The SL does not have this problem.

Something else on the SE which might not be a problem, but of which you should be aware, is that the rear power door does not start sensing for obstruction until it is partially closed (about 1/3 to 1/2 way). Once it is far enough closed, the obstruction sensor works very well.

I do NOT like the button on the rear left side which actuates the rear power door. A child can easily push this and the door will close, even with the key out of the ignition. This is a safety hazard: a child can be trapped inside or have his or her fingers pinched in the sides of the closing door. The same button cannot be used to open the door, according to the salesman we talked to.

Finally, the grille. Super-cool-looking, right? (well I think it is) But take a close look at it. The hundreds of right angles will be AWFUL to clean! Yeah, it's a minor point...until you get back from a trip and have to clean off the bugs...

I agree again with modena2904 that these will not be flying off the lots. Wait a few months and I'll bet you won't pay anywhere near MSRP.
  • FEHarperFEHarper Posts: 70
    Reading the last several posts, I see these criticisms as really minor. This van looks, in person, like a concept showcar. The quality of interior materials, I found, to be generally excellent on the SE, and I ordered one, also looking at the Pacifica and Sienna. I agree with the plastic curtains for the skyview roof, however, being cheap. Leaving a small child or infant unattended and alone in the rear seat of a car will get you a visit from DSS in my state. This was a Nissan concept to build an UNMINIVAN minivan and they have succeeded. The chassis, engine, ergonomics, style are outstanding and very competitive with the Toyotas and Hondas. People, in these lousy economic times, are waiting for discounts and a better variety, as the Quests are just trickling in to dealerships now in small numbers, and the dealers are asking for MSRP.
  • ncflyerncflyer Posts: 28
    Just compare the volume of posts in this forum to the volume of posts in the Sienna forum (even before the Sienna was released) and it will tell you how excited folks are for these vehicles. I went to the Cleveland Auto Show in the spring, and whereas the Siennas were packed with onlookers, I can't say the same about the Quests. I realize Toyota is a much bigger gorilla than Nissan, so that gives them a big headstart, but the buzz just ain't out there, and whereas I think Siennas will be at MSRP for year, I don't see that being the case with Quests. In contrast, I'm seeing Murano's all over and I think they've really done quite well with that one.
    The Toyota Sienna has been in the dealerships much longer, for a while represented the only real alternative to the Hondas, and people were paying sticker + pinstriping, advertising fees, toyoguard, etc. when they first hit the dealerships. We went down to price them and got the "typical" Toyota buying experience. The volume of posts, I think, represents the headstart that Toyota had. The Pacifica also got off to a slow start, but I have noticed a slew of them on the road over the past two weeks. Time will tell, but I think the real advantages of the Quest will be better overall handling, acceleration, interior/exterior styling being entirely subjective (but my favorite hands down).
  • FEHarper:
    "Leaving a small child or infant unattended and alone in the rear seat of a car will get you a visit from DSS in my state."

...as it will, and should, in just about any state.

You are downplaying a dangerous aspect of this vehicle. It will not be an infant or small child who will be playing with the liftgate button on the OPEN liftgate. It will be the 5- to 10-year olds, playing in the back of the OPEN vehicle, at a picnic or ball game or whatever. I doubt that you will have your eyes on that kid--or other's kids--at all times. The kid does not have to be sitting in the back seat--only in the general OPEN area of the liftgate: sitting on the bumper, for example.

I've capitalized the word OPEN several times for a reason: the button is ACTIVE while the vehicle is OFF and the liftgate is OPEN. This is just plain dumb and dangerous. And this "feature" appears on the SL as well as the SE.

It's not such a minor point.

And I'll agree in a instant that the Quest is a very nice-looking vehicle. It you have to buy a minivan, the Quest makes it a bit more easy to do. But if I'M going to drop $30k on a minivan, I'm not so sure that the Quest is the best investment. $30k is a whole lot of money to me, and I think I'd rather limit the depreciation as much as possible.
    Dec. '98 - almost '99. Anyway, there wasn't much buzz then either and the '99 was a new model. All the buzz then was the new Odyssey of course. Sienna's were highly regarded and my local Toy dealer wasn't dealing, but Honda had the buzz. Helped my pricing I'm sure.

The Quest better do well in crash testing or sales may never gain a foothold. I'm not sure how many people really look at those scores, but the average results for the '99's couldn't have helped market share.

I also saw some pics of a '49 Jeepster over the weekend. Guess where the speedo and other knobs and switches were? Yep, dead center. Guess there's nothing much new under the sun.

Steve, Host
    Maybe Kmead was planning on cross-posting in here, but is still working on part two. Good review:

kmead "2004 Nissan Quest vs 2004 Toyota Sienna" Jul 20, 2003 7:45pm

Steve, Host
  • vmaturovmaturo Posts: 71
    The Person Driving.
  • niceguyniceguy Posts: 20
    I've just test drove the Quest04 model S last weekend and here are what I noticed compared with the Toyota CE model:

1. The curtain airbag is standard on the Quest.
    2. Quest uses chain-timing-belt instead of the conventional belt that we have to replace every 60K miles.
    3. Quest has In-glass-antena.
    4. There's a sensor in the passenger seat to sensor your weight to trigger the airbag on the Quest. According to the saleman, this idea was for the safety of small child when seating in the front seat.

We still have not decided on which van that we'll get yet. Please keep adding more ideas, opinions, suggestions that you know or have.

Hope you all have a good day !!!
  • marsh1nmarsh1n Posts: 1
    I went to look at the Quest last night. The power hatch button in the back can be disabled from the drivers seat. Next to the button that opens the hatch is an "On/Off" button that turns off the power to the button. It's the equivalent to the window lock on my Maxima.

I agree the interior of the car looks pretty cheap. I was planning on using the car with one of the 2nd row seats down at all times. After looking at the quality of the fabric, I think the fabric will wear very badly.

Nice car, but it looks unpolished.
    I think that the Quest will look more attractive once the prices come down while Sienna prices are still at MSRP+. Plus, by the time Sienna prices come down, the new Odyssey will be here.
  • acedriveracedriver Posts: 131
    Yeah .. Can you justify paying top dollar for a NICE exterior looking vehicle with an UN-polished interior ? (At least, that seems to be the popular opinion here) Maybe I should pop over to the local dealer and check one out myself ...
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    I checked out a quest and think the interior is better than any other mini except for the 04 sienna. I owned a 03 odyssey and that had one of the drabest and spartan interiors I have ever owened even my old '92 lumina was better. There is nothing wrong with the quest interior except for the "unique" center arrangement.
    The Odyssey doesn't have a dull interior. I own one, and the interior isn't spartan, it's just not fancy and plain, just like all Honda dashboards. (That's what I like about Honda. It's simple and straightforward) Okay, back to the Quest:
        The Quest is just kinda odd for the class, so that's why we should go out and buy one, because everyone wants a Sienna right now. By the time Sienna prices come down, you might as well pay sticker to buy an 05' Odyssey.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    You have to understand I am not a honda fan. The Oddyssey interior is functional nothing more. I owned the honda for 4 months just couldn't get used to how utterly boring it was in all major ways. Don't get me wrong it was capable and I made money on it in the trade in but I would never buy another honda product they are just not my type of vehicles.
    I just picked up our 2004 Quest SE with DVD and navigation and would like to share the experience. Interior - nicely done, good fit and finish, nice leather. Driver's view - expansive and confident. Power doors and hatch - quiet, convenient. Navigation - I was amazed at how accurate this thing is. Relatively new roads in my area were pictured. All cars SHOULD have navigation! Back seats - comfy, roomy. Cabin is quiet. I must admit, there is a learning curve for all the electronics on the console. I have been studying my owners manual like my college organic chemistry text. Drive is very nice. This car has been engineered to handle like a sedan - little lean in turns, good, quiet acceleration, fat tires. Cubby holes abound for all. My son wants to live in the van - amazing. I still love the styling personally and found people coming across the parking lot to have a look today.