Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    There should be an on/off button on the mirror.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    it sounds like the doors could use an adjustment.
  • carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    Nissan Quest will relocate the dash-board and back to tradition dash!
    AWWWWW! I like it the way it is!! Not like your ordinary minivan. But it is all about sales and the race to 1 million.
  • I just rented a base '05 Quest for a week-long family vacation (around 1500 miles). Here's my take:

The good - The van handles quite well. The V6 is smooth and powerful. It had plenty of power, even in the mountains. The steering wheel could be used in sports cars. It fits the hands perfectly. There is plenty of luggage space behind the 3rd row. The deep well in back (that holds the 3rd row when not in use) allowed all of our luggage to be loaded without blocking the the rear window. Once at the resort, it was nice to fold the 3rd row into the floor to free up room to haul skis and boots.

The bad - The center dash layout is awful. I never got used to looking down and to the right to check my speed. The area to the far right of the dash that shows indicator lights (e.g., cruise control is set) is easily washed-out in normal sunlight. The LED display is somewhat odd. I liked to use the trip computer to show time and distance traveled, but it would not stay on if the radio was on. The radio station would be displayed instead. This is really strange since the trip computer and the radio use different lines on the display. Why can't it show both at once? The gear shift lever blocks the view of fan control. The entire center console needs to be tilted towards the driver. It is difficult to see exactly where the various knobs are set. The buttons for the radio, trip computer, etc. are hard to discern at a glance.

I'm not sure if other vans offer this, but it would be nice if the 3rd row was split so that only half of it could be stowed. It wasn't an issue on this trip, but it would provide better flexibility.

Finally, the trim piece that hides the rear hatch release cracked. It sounded like the rear hatch didn't close all of the way, so I lifted up on the handle to open the hatch a few inches. I then pushed it closed with the heel of my hand, and this made the trim piece crack. This is a poor design.

Would I buy one? I'm not in the market for a minivan, but I would have to pass on the Quest if I were. This is almost entirely due to the center dash and poor console layout that I couldn't warm up to. This is too bad, since it is otherwise a nice vehicle with a great engine.
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    YMMV. We use a Quest SL as a company vehicle, and it is driven by 4-5 different people. It is getting used nearly twice as much as anticipated because the SUV drivers ditched them for the Quest.

None of them, including me, took longer than 10 minutes to get used to the central speedometer.
    This is also largely true of the mini, which has a central speedo.

Some people just can't adjust, and the additional space that you get from the central location is less important to them.

Shifter hiding instruments will vary with the height of the driver. The base Quest does not have adjustable pedals like the SL (and has a 4spd, not 5spd).

Crank-down center windows and split 3rd seats are another YMMV feature. I'd rather have the wider doors in the Quest (they're 3-4" wider than most minivans) than have the extra weight and complexity of roll-down side windows. For us, the one-piece 3rd seat is more comfortable to sit in and easier to stow and unstow.

We also seem to be getting much better mileage than the other new vans are getting. Even driving in snow and up and down the hills to VT along with some around-town use we're getting over 22 mpg average for the last several tanks.
  • We are considering a quest and want to know the following details.

Is the build quality still an issue. I heard that Consumer report lists the new quest as one of the worst ones and also read that nissan has made a lot of progress in terms of build quality. So how is the 05 model, is it improved a lot or still have issues?

Nissan is offering $2000 rebate on quest now. Will it improve during the year end model clearance or is this the best they come up with?

Thanks in advance.
  • We love our '05 Quest, but my younger son when in his child seat is blinded by the sun on the big sliding door windows. The Oydessy and Sienna all have a pull down shade. I have gone to my local Automotive store but can't find anything big enough or dark enough. Does anyone else have this problem? and if so, do they have a creative solution?
    Thanks
    Try Toys R US or some other children stores to find a cover for the window. They probably have a wider selection then an auto part store. You may even consider getting your windows professionally tinted.
    It appears that Nissan has addressed all the major problems regarding the Quest for 2005. If you are not in a hurry, you may want to wait another month or two and check if any 2005 folks have chimed in.
  • Thanks, I will do that. The window has a good tint now from Nissan. What I really need is the ability to block the side completely on really sunny days.

Thanks again
  • I can't seem to get any real air out of the vents on the ceiling in the roof of my 05 Quest. Is there a 'trick' to getting a good stream of air through these vents?

Thanks in advance
    I believe the ceiling vents (2nd & 3rd row) are controlled by the small knob on the center console. It depends on whether there is warm or cold air blowing (main HVAC button).
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Posts: 109
    The small knobs on the dash does control the rear vent spped and temp. Remember that warm air always blows from the bottom and cold air always blows from the top. So if you have the rear temp set on RED (hot), then there will be no air coming from the roof. I'm guessing that since it is winter, that might be what you are describing. Try turning the temp to blue/cold and the fan all the way up and see if you get a good flow of air.
    Is the build quality still an issue. I heard that Consumer report lists the new quest as one of the worst ones and also read that nissan has made a lot of progress in terms of build quality. So how is the 05 model, is it improved a lot or still have issues?

Nissan is offering $2000 rebate on quest now. Will it improve during the year end model clearance or is this the best they come up with?

We have a 2005 SL we bought in December. It now has almost 5,000 miles on it - it's a company car.

It's been great, we like it better every day, and the last six tanks of gas have averaged over 22 mpg. This seems to be quite good for a full-size minivan in winter.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296
    Nissan's Quest earns 5-star rating (Clarion-Ledger)

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• My husband and I are considering leasing an ’05 Quest before the end of the big Drive to A Million sales event. We’re hip, stylish and with 2 children in car seats we think the Quest is the best fit for our personalities and family.

I’m just wondering though if we should lease or purchase. Can anyone recommend reasons why or why not to lease?

Any input would be appreciated.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296
    If you put nothing down and don't exceed the mileage limits, leasing can be a good way to save your cash for other things (like child care!). But I always figured the way to get ahead is to buy and get beyond the payments. Lots more in the Smart Shopper board, like Lease Questions - Ask Here.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 503
    Don't know much about financing, but I will speak to your decision to drive a Quest with your kids. No knocks on other vans, since I haven't lived with them myself, but I can say I think the Quest is a perfect vehicle for small children.
    -First off, all the standard safety equipment and good crash test ratings mentioned a few posts earlier. The only other vans with as high a rating are the Kia and Mazda, which are much smaller, and the Dodge/Chrysler vans which have quality issues, and are for grandparents (not cool Nissan people like us...)
    -The second row seats are very accommodating for child seats, very wide and flat, and easy to install LATCH tethers.
    -Also you can still adjust the seats fore and aft and tilt forward without having to take out the child seat. Plus there's plenty of space between the two seats, so it's easy to walk through if anyone needs access to the 3rd row, and too far for the 2nd row kids to reach and pick on each other.
    -But the seats are still far enough from the doors that our toddlers can't reach to smudge the glass. That's probably good for safety too. In our other car the seats were literally right up against the door and window, I hated to imagine even a mild side impact crash.
    -Also, the floor mats are huge, they really cover almost the entire floor surface in all three rows, so it will be very easy to remove them and vacuum and/or steam clean when they get dirty.

Two issues I would bring up:
    1) The cloth upholstery is pretty sensitive to all the bunching and pressure from the child seat, it seemed like it was beginning to stretch and wear out where the child seat presses down on it. So I put a towel down, folded over once, and when I removed the seat to check a few weeks later, it seemed to be holding up just fine. Plus the towel protects the seat bottom from their dirty shoes as they climb in and out. So you look kind of dorky for a few years, but it prevents permanent damage.
    2) You have to get a car seat that comes with it's own cup holder (probably most of them do these days) because the kids can't quite reach the ones built into the side of the seat.

I know I post a lot here, I'm trying not to be repetitive, but I just have to speak up in favor of the Quest. It takes a lot of flack on the Problems board, but it's been just great for my family!
    I echo all your comments. I have '04 Quest S and had same family situation. Nice that the 2nd row seats move forward and back. And the towel idea is one I would use on any van with cloth seats. The seat covers are more durable than they look. They clean up pretty easy too.

It seems the '05 are behaving better than the '04.
  • 82178217 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an SE and I have not had any problems as of yet. So far I am very satisfied with the build quality and performance. Gas mileage has been close to 21 mpg with a combination of freeway and surface streets. Our previous vehicle was a 99' Mercury Villager (Quest) with 156k miles and it was still a good solid vehicle. I am hoping this one turns out to be as good over the long haul.
    I had been following the forums for a few months and was aware of some of the 2004 issues. I am a design architect and find the styling a breath of fresh air although my wife prefers the more traditional approach. I have not found the instrument display to be a problem in the center of the dash and the center console in my opinion is very convenient.
  • green_teagreen_tea Posts: 14
    They gave the Quest 5 stars out of 5. Here is the link:
    http://research.cars.com/go/crp/reviews.jsp?makeid=36&modelid=338&year=2005&myid=&acode=&c- - - rpPage=summary.jsp&gotopage=reviews.jsp&revlogtype=19&aff=national

I like particularly some of the comments as follows:

"This van drives almost like an Altima sedan, which is not completely strange, considering that the Quest is built on the chassis of the midsize Altima, which also is the chassis used for the Maxima sedan and the Murano crossover SUV.

Under the hood is the same 240-horsepower V-6 engine used in the Altima, which gives the Quest a good measure of performance.

In our test model, it was connected to a really smooth five-speed automatic transmission, and the combination of engine and gearbox moved this vehicle along like a sport sedan. It even corners more like a sedan than any minivan I've ever driven."

A sport sedan!! After one and a half year of experience with my 2004 Quest, I can't agree more. This van drives so smooth and lots of fun. Quality is very good too, and we have no problems so far. I am asking my friends to at least test drive it when they consider buying a minivan.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Posts: 160
    2004 Quest SE
    I have two questions.
    Anyone ever notice that the rear bumper is full of water? I was leaning on the van and heard something sloshing. I assumed it was the fuel tank, but, then after shaking the van real hard, water started splashing out from inside the rear bumper. Sounds like a lot of water. Just thought that was weird. I'm sure I can solve that by drilling a few holes in the underside of the plastic cover.
    The other question is about the 'Re-lock' feature. You can set it to after 1 minute, 30 seconds, or 5 minutes (I think). However, either it doesn't work for me or I don't understand it. To me, that would mean, lock the doors after this amount of time. Anyone have an explaination about this feature and how it works? The owners manual doesn't explain, only tells you how to set the delay.
    Thanks - Mark
  • sopecreeksopecreek Posts: 203
    I might be wrong about the re-lock feature of the Quest.
    In my ES300, when I unlock a door by remote fob but do not actually open the door, then the door automatically re-locks after certain time period.
    So lock the doors (with your remote), unlock them with the remote but don't open any, and see if they locks automatically after the preset period...
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    You might want to ask your question in the discussion Nissan Quest Owners: Problems & Solutions and also search while in that discussion to see if others have had similar questions or issues.

Good luck!
    This is exactly how this feture works on the Quest.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 268
    A few years ago I picked up a sunshade for my car at Babies R Us, I believe. It's a big sheet of green-tinted clear vinyl that I cut with scissors to fit the shape of my window. It sticks to the window by itself, peels on and off in an instant. Actually I didn't have kids then, it was for me to block the sun on my morning commute.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Just out of curiousity, since I know it was such a common problem with the '04s, how are the '05 Quest models doing as far as rattles, squeaks, creaks, etc.?
    Even though I have a 2004 Quest S, it appears Nissan has address the issues that plagued the 2004. So far the word on the board is no creaks or rattles for 2005. it must be a new option. ha ha
    Our 06 Quest turned 6,000 miles this week. Several recent tanks of fuel over 24 mpg and everyone who drives it raves about the driving position and all-around performance/handling. And the interior volume is huge.