Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    I just read this guys post. If it is real, I feel terrible for this individual. However, there are things about his post that lead me to believe the past experiences may be ficticious.

You can look at his posting history and decide for yourself.
  • pierpier Posts: 79
    Hi

I feel that billy8's issues (fictitious or not - this is a matter of another discussion) may have unintentionally derailed my discussion thread. My objective is to enquire whether other 04 Quest owners experienced the same level of quality problems. Does anyone think I have a case for a buyback? If so, how do I go about convincing nissan who say it's not their problem?

Since my first posting, my Quest has gone in twice again. This time there is a "shimmy" effect from the front tires. This occurred after new tires were replaced at 30,000 miles. The tires were re balanced to no effect. Two new front tires were installed to no effect. What now? I suspect that the drive shafts may be unbalanced.

Oh, and the weatherstrips came off again. I am really tempted to pay off the rest of the lease as I do not feel that the car is is safe enough for my wife and two children.
  • birdobirdo Posts: 5
    Let me ask anyone. Can I replace the existing dashboard screen (The amber one that comes standard) with the one that comes with the Navigation screen (more of an LCD screen) without having the GPS Navigation package? A friend of mine works at a junkyard and had one there but I thought I would ask before buying from him.
  • vq35devq35de Posts: 12
    I'm researching this now. It doesn't look like its a simple screen swap. There is a display control unit (DCU) which may have to be replaced or rewired so the LCD screen will work. Since the 2006 Quest has the LCD info screen on the non-nav models, I am trying to find out the part number for the DCU and complare it to the 04-05 one. Unfortunately, the dealers won't have part listings for the '06 models until atleast late Sept so I'll have to find another source.
  • birdobirdo Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info. Let me know what you find out. I am interested.
  • vq35devq35de Posts: 12
    I stopped by a local Nissan dealer that just got a fully loaded '06 SE on their lot. The 19" wheels are UGLY. They have a different measuring scheme for the run flats so I couldn't verify the rim size, but they sure don't look like 19"s. The 6 spoke 17"s are much nicer looking. The tires have an odd shape to them too and are pretty ugly. Maybe I'll stop and take pics sometime this week...
  • Well, first find a good dealer! Ha... There is a TSB for this problem on the 04's. I had the exact same problem. The TSB instructs them to drop the entire overhead console and add padding between the overhead console and the roof cross member supports. It is this constant contact that is making the squeek. My fix was performed last fall and has worked like a charm. :)
  • Well... with some of the rain we got up in the northeast from Katrina, we discovered that our '05 has a leaky Skyview roof. There was some dripping from the garment hook, very few drops, but enough to indicate a leak.

Brought it in this morning, I spoke with the tech and he seemed familiar with the problem. They are replacing the whole piece of glass and weatherstripping, no questions asked. The tech said they replace the glass panel because when they try to remove it, it usually breaks.

I also told them to check out the creaking from the tailgate when the body flexes. They readjusted and lubricated the door. Let see if that got rid of it...

I have an '05 SE with ~1600 miles on it.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    This topic is for discussing the features, attributes, etc. of the Quest. Problems with the vehicle should be discussed in the Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions discussion.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I paid $26150.00 ( including 400 dealer handling price) in Denver, Colorado for a new 2005 3.5SL with leather package, sky view package. options list is X01, V01, S01, L92, M10. is this a good price ?
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Well, in my opinion ,since you have already bought it...it is a good price. ;)
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Spider5, you could always ask the folks in the Nissan Quest: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion what they think.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Interesting:

In the first 3-way tie in the history of AutoPacific's Vehicle Satisfaction Awards, Honda Odyssey, Nissan Quest and Toyota Sienna tie for top honors in the Minivan category.

For actual article, just Google "AutoPacific Satisfaction Awards". ;)
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 508
    When I read this, I was thinking Nissan had chalked one up against the competition.

Several Minivan Head Restraint Systems Test Poorly

Earning poor overall ratings were seven models subjected to a simulated crash: versions of the 2004-2006 Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country; a version of the 2005-2006 Toyota Sienna and 2005-2006 Chevrolet Uplander, Buick Terraza, Pontiac Montana SV6 and Saturn Relay. The 2005-2006 Honda Odyssey received the second lowest, or marginal, rating.

Then I went to the IIHS website and read this in the fine print:

Some seats automatically earn poor ratings: The Institute doesn't test seats with head restraints that are rated marginal or poor for geometry because such seats cannot be positioned to protect many taller people. The seats that weren't tested in this group include all of those in the Chevrolet Astro, GMC Safari, Mazda MPV, and Nissan Quest plus some seats in the Grand Caravan and Toyota Sienna.

D'OH! Too poor to even bother testing...
  • Well, that's vague. So, the seats cannot be positioned to protect taller people. Hum.... :D
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    If there is a specific geometry that works, why not make it standard for all minvans!!!! Not sure what they mean by "seats cannot be positioned to protect many taller people". I'm 6' 4" tall. I fit pretty well in my Quest.

ahightower: After seeing the results, I think the IIHS is looking for ways to justify themselves. Car safety ha imporved so much in the last decade that the IIHS and NHSTA need to find ways to justify their existence. The amazing thing is this is the first time I have seen this test publicized like this.
  • Our van has almost 3K miles now. And it's time for an oil change. I'm debating wether to take it to the dealer and pay $39.99 or do it myself. Could somebody who has done it tell me how easy or difficult it's to get to the filter? Would I need to use ramps? And what about using synthetic for the 1st oil change, is it too early? Thanks!
  • shgshg Posts: 13
    I have done the oil change and it is pretty straight forward. I was able to perform this by simply jacking up the passenger side. The oil plug and filter are both closer to the passenger side. And 3K is certainly not too early for the first oil change. The recommended oil is 5W-30. And you should only use synthetic if you are not conscienctious about changing the oil and go a long time between intervals. Otherwise, regular oil is fine.
  • Thanks. I got on the ground to take a look at the bottom of the van. Seems like the filter is pretty hard to get to without jacking up the van :( I have 2 ramps that I've been using on my cars. Not sure if the van is too heavy for them. I'm taking the van in to the dealership for a couple of warranty issues. Will have them do the 1st change.
  • Did you need to take off some panels underneath? And I couldn't see where the drain plug was. Thanks!
  • Hi Bill, I hope you're still reading this. I took a look underneath. It doesn't look like I can get to the filter (let alone the drain bolt) without jacking up the van :( Oh well, I'll try it today after work.
  • Just remember:
    When they rate the best worst, we buy the best for less.
    Don
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Tamu2002: Check your owner's manual. They have section showing how to do it. It looks pretty simple.
  • I did the oil change yesterday. It wasn't any harder than my other cars. I just didn't see how it could be done without jacking up the van. Once it was up on the ramps, it was a piece of cake, except it took some effort to remove the tight filter. I didn't have the right sized filter wrench--the Quest filter is TINY! I wish I hadn't been lazy and done it earlier at 1K miles.
  • shgshg Posts: 13
    Yeah, I knew you could do it. I do agree with you that the filter is surprisinly small. In fact, it is the exact same filter that is used on the Honda Civic! That surprised me.
  • The same size as the Civic? Really? Well, I hope it does its job. I was trying to avoid jacking up the van, but didn't see how it was possible. I'm getting lazy with oil changes :) I changed it at 3008 miles and the oil looked pretty black. Wish I had dones it earlier. I think I'll do the next one at 5K.
  • Have anyone see sludge at the tip of their oil dipstick? We do on our 2004 Quest. We are at 35k mi. and we change the oil every 3750 mi. We can transfer this discussion to Quest 2004+ Problems and Solutions if this thread develops.
  • Hey all - spotted a used 2004 Quest for sale and would liek to find out when it was made. Last digits after 'N' are 369071. Any way to tell when it was made? All the stuff I see on the net point me to Carfax reports and such that cost money. Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • Look in the drivers doorpanel