Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• sopecreeksopecreek Posts: 203
    for both Odyssey and Quest are about the same (~8.5 sec).
  • plashenickplashenick Posts: 162
    If 0-60 speed is so important why would you drive a mini-van. Anything under 9.0 would be fantastic.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Same HP but different torque. HP is for marketing and advertising. Also could be a difference in shift patterns. I know when I was test driving, the Odyssey was the only minivan that "felt" faster then the Quest.

I have not seen or read anywhere where the Quest has done 0-60 in 8.5 sec. Most everything I have seen is mid 9. Not that it is important (or that I care). I still love driving this van.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Posts: 203
    You can just google and find many such data.
    Not sure about the 4-spd but I haven't seen over 9 sec for 5-spd 2004+ Quest yet.

Here is one example (8.7 sec). And I have seen a few better ones.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/van/112_0311_minivan_comparison/
    I have the four speed and I have not seen that under 9 seconds. Like i said, no big deal. I didn't buy it to race, I bought it for the space.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,678
    In addition to acceleration there is the driving feel. I personally felt the Quest was the quickest accelerating. The Honda engine seemed to rev quicker, but the Quest seemed to have more available torque.

The Quest had a much better steering feel with better road feedback (plus that nice thick small steering wheel). The Honda felt more a U-Haul with over boosted steering and a large steering wheel (butter better than the Toyota and DGC).
  • garycoxgarycox Posts: 59
    What is this talk about warranty on the 04 quests extending to 5 years or 60k miles? Is that just the Power Train warranty which I think is already at that or the 3 year 36,000 warranty going to 5 years, 60k miles?
  • plashenickplashenick Posts: 162
    All 04 Quests have a 5yr/60K bumber to bumber. Contact Nissan for details. But this was done last year.
    That's interesting, in conversations with Nissan and the dealer none have mentioned that to me and no word of that in the warranty book except for the "Power Train" warranty. If it covers all 04 Quests then I'll make an inquiry of Nissan and see what they say. Do you have any information or service bulletin indicating such in case I have trouble?

By the way, how do I tell what plant my 04 Nissan was manufactured at? I see the manufacturer date on the drivers side below the door but no indication where it was made.

Thanks... Gary
  • eyeblindeyeblind Posts: 156
    If you go to www.nissanhelp.com and search under "Headline News" their is an article about Nissan extending the warranty on all 04 Quests. The date of the article is 9/24/04. All 04 Quest owners recieved a letter in the mail and a sticker to put in their warranty manual.
    I would say all quest 04 owners but me. I bought it brand new at the dealer, didn't move so they have my address. I'll contact Nissan and cite the article and go from there.

Thanks for the information... Gary
    It was issued as part of Nissan Customer Service Initiative tha fixed 7 or 8 items (depeniding on trim level) in the Quest. The extended warranty was part of this initiative. I've found all dealers know about it but will not be upfront aobut it. In other words, you ahve to remind them which can be annoying.
  • tjshantjshan Posts: 28
    Great pics and info on the hidden hitch, made my decision not to have the dealer install one . One question...where/how did you find a light wiring kit. Yours looks really nice there but I can not find it on "hitches4less"
  • harvejeharveje Posts: 6
    The Draw-Tite Modulite 18146 worked fine for me, easy install, just a pain to get to as with all interior panels. Make sure you have a good splice and the access hole for the trailer plug has a black rubber plug in it. Let me know if you need the wire colors. I installed the hitch by myself with no jack in about 30 minutes, it is heavy for one person. We tow a jet ski but hitch is class 3. You will need to install the 20 amp mini fuse under the hood to make the 12V power wire hot for tow unit.
  • f1236089f1236089 Posts: 25
    Great write up! I have been thinking about getting a hitch and bike carrier since I bought the van in 04, but never get around to do it. Where did you get your hitch? Was it hard to jack up the van from rear? I am not very handy with cars so please pardon stupid questions. :blush:
    You will need the modulit kit, this is the one I got http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4644458044&- sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
    And the hitch, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8016634759&- sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
    The hitch is a little over kill for our waverunner but O' well. I did not use a jack (lazy) and installed the hitch in about 30-40 mins. by myself (stupid). The instructions are simple and now I could install one in 10 mins. The light kit is a little complex but take your time and go easy on the plastic panels. You will need to install the 20 amp fuse under the hood and that makes the 12V+ wire hot at the back of the van to hook the light kit to. You will not have to run any additional wires. Let me know if you need any more info.
    After I inquired about the warranty they sent me a letter stating the extension. I'm glad you posted that information as I would have walked into a dealer for work and would have never known (unless they told me) I had 60,000 instead of 36,000 miles on the warranty.

Thanks... Gary
    No problem Gary.
    Thanks for the pointer. I will give these a try. If I only plan to use the hitch for bike racks, do I still need to install the modulit kit? I have never tow anything in my life, so again pardon my stupid question.
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 512
    Nope, if you aren't installing something with lights, then don't bother with that for now.
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    Just an update. I calculated the actual mpg for the last 4,000 miles on our 05 Quest SL. It was 22.3, mixed highway, state highway, back road and urban traffic. The vehicle currently has 30,000 miles. Brakes and tires are still original but we put on dedicated snows during the winter.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Posts: 160
    Sorry I didn't reply earlier...I've not been back to this forum in a few because I don't like reading all the bikering/fighting/slander, etc... :(

Anyway....

I didn't have to jack the rear of the van, I was able to get to everything by sliding under the van. It was very easy to do. The 'hardest' thing was loosening the muffler strap and lowering the exhaust, ha. I did not get a wiring harness as I'm only using this hitch for a 5 person bike carrier. However, seems I read somewhere, sometime, about being carefull with the wiring harness because of electrical requirements, etc. That might have been on the Nissan Frontier, not sure.

Good luck and enjoy!
    :D
    Yes, If you do tap into the electrical system be extra careful. This system is not like the old heavy thick wires of yesterday, some are very fine wires. I tapped in the wires on the light side of the connectors, these wires are a little heavier, get a good ground, and the main 12V+ is already back there. Will the bikes hide your lights?
    Thanks a lot for the info. I ordered the hitch from ebay and hopefully it will arrive soon. Likewise, I am not planning to do anything except carriying bikes for the hitch, so I won't even bother to do wiring. Thanks again for the info. ;)
  • what happens if i activate the power tailgate with the bike rack on? does it damage the tailgate?
    I woudl look for a bike rack that "hinges" out of the way so you can access the tailgate. Like the bike roof carriers and drive up bank stall, you have to remember it is there. had a friend almost rip his bike rack off his car. Luckily he was moving slow through the drive up and only scratched the bike.
  • biggitybiggity Posts: 25
    Anybody know why there are two different splash guard options for Quests on Edmunds pricing guide, B10 and B95?

Also, are splash guards really required in certain states as the description for the 2007 says? And if so, why?

(I also posted this in "Prices Paid & Buying Experience" because I wasn't sure where it should go.)
  • questjquestj Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if a auto dimming rear view mirror is availble as an accessory after the purchase? I assume it is, but further to that, how big of a deal is it to install after the original purchase?
  • samuelgsamuelg Posts: 36
    I had this auto dimming mirror on 2004 Quest. The rear window is so highly tinted that the bright lights from cars in the rear never EVER activated this dimming function. It seems a 100% wasted feature on vehicles with rear tinted windows.

I suggest you save your money.

I traded in my Quest today for another van. This was simply not the right vehicle for me, after struggling with it for 2 1/2 years.

It's been fun chatting with many of you folks. Enjoy your vans.
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    what happens if i activate the power tailgate with the bike rack on? does it damage the tailgate?

If the tailgate feels resistance it will stop, just depends on what it hits. A friend of mine covers the tailgate switch with masking tape when he puts the bike rack on.