Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Hi, sopecreek,

You can read more about the recent changes in our Forums Software -- Your Questions Answered discussion, but the most important thing is that the main Quest topic is up and running again. Welcome back :-)

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I agree, at least they've reopened some of the basic forums, such as this one. I too didn't think it made sense. Now I just hope more members/owners come back....
  • In an attempt to change format to smaller & more diverse discussions, you went "read only" on "Nissan Quest 2004+ Problems & Solutions." Since then, with the exception of a few tire posts, it seems as though virtually all 2004+ Problems & Solutions discussion has disappeared. For a short time, you removed "read only" from the original 2004+ Problems & Solutions thread, then you locked it again. My point is that 2004+ Quest is substantially different from all previous Quests, and the original thread is an excellent place to share & track problems. Can you please unlock it again? Thanks.
  • Hello, just purchased a 2005 quest base model with 3000 miles. I need the rear seat headrests in beige cloth!!! If anybody knows where i can get them used please let me know..i have been searching everywhere! Thank you!
    email me at robertnj63@aol.com if you have any ideas!
  • Ebay or a dealer are probably your best bets. Not many junk yards will have 2004+ Quests on hand for parting out.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    To get this board back to life, here's an update on our van. We bought it in June 05 and it now has 18K trouble free miles. We get about 21 mpg in mixed driving. The van is a stylish and comfortable family hauler. Couldn't ask for much more.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,669
    I'll continue.

Or 05 SE bought in June 05 has 20K miles. We get 17-18 mpg in mixed driving...which bothered me until I looked at the average speed (reset at each fill up). An average speed of 20 mph is not going to give good mileage.

Passenger sliding door is making strange noises...like squishing Styrofoam...have to check to make sure nothing is jammed in there.

A few of the squeaks bother me...but is usually masked by the other noises of child seats, loose change, DVD floating around, etc.

Even though this van originally can out in 04, we still (5-6 times a year) get comments from strangers on how “awesome” it.

On a side note...I've finally discovered how to drive it “smooth”. The van would shift hard during normal driving. What I found was that driving manual for approx 20 years has trained my right foot to lift slightly just before the [non-permissible content removed] would occur. In order to drive it smoothly I have to apply a constant throttle position...and keep myself from glancing at the tach. If only they placed a 6 speed manual in the thing :)
  • Our 05' was bought 11-28-04, has 26K miles gets sucky mileage due to waiting in car lines to pick kids up, letting it idle in parking lots while kids watch TV and stay warm or cool while wife shops, etc... no major problems just the squeeks and noises, basket dings, bumps, scraps, dents, added a hitch to haul a jet ski, added DVD with 4 headrest monitors, gps says it will run at least 120 mph hehe. Looking for more upgrades, wheels, better monitors, etc.
  • Anyone notice the HP ratings on the Quest went DOWN for 2007? There's no mention anywhere of it...anyone know why?
    new ratings...the engine makes the same amount of power as before.

There was a Detroit article that mentioned a large number of Japanese manufacturers had their numbers go down while the domestics remained the same or went up slightly.

numbers are just numbers...as long as it performs the same...
  • Makes sense...I saw that article, I just didn't put two and two together. Thanks.
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    There were two ratings previously - one for Premium and one for Regular. I don't know if that's still the case.
  • I have just purchased a "used" 2006 Quest with 21k miles on it, and the car is to say the least, an awesome vehicle. I have a question for you out there though about some squeaks and groans that I am hearing...are these normal? I have never had a car that made these kinds of noises. The driver's rear door shakes and rattles during normal driving, and there is something in the very back that seems to squeak as well. Any help out there? :confuse:
  • The 04 Quest did have a lot of door rattles, and Nissan put out a fix to address all the problems. The 05 and 06 shouldn't have any door rattles. Since your van should still be under warranty, I would definitely use that to its fullest and take it to a dealer and have them address ALL your concerns. That's what the warranty is for.

I recently complained to the dealer about my 04 Quest with the clock being too fast. It added about 3-4 minutes a month. Everybody thought I was crazy, but it was a real inconvenience for me. The dealer finally agreed to replace the LCD module (the clock is inside), and voila - it's fixed.
  • I had an 04 Quest SE loaded with every available option. Stickered at over $39K. My wife and I loved the looks of the van and the massive amount of interior space. My big issue is that this van was a bundle of rattles and squeeks and always sounded like it was falling apart. Took it to numerous dealers and they stated the problem is inherent in all 04 Quest's and that Nissan is addressing the quality concerns. Actually read an article about this several months later which confirmed Nissan sent over 200 engineers from Japan to the US to help resolve the massive quality concerns. I wish I knew this before purchasing but could not find anything negative at the time. Purchased around April of 2004.

Since then, I have traded it in on an 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring loaded with NAV and DVD and couldn't be happier. What I find fascinating is that Nissan sent me numerous letters apologizing for the many issues with the 2004 Quest and encouraged me, with heavy financial incentives, to trade up but I was unwilling to take that risk. The Quest had under 8K miles and was in MINT condition and I took a bath. Paid about $35K and got $25K. I just couldn't come to grips with the constant door rattles and everyone's inavility to solve the problem.

No more Nissan vans for me! My 2004 Murano though is one SWEET vehicle that I would highly recommend to everyone.
    The posts about audio equipment have been moved here:

Nissan Quest Audio System Questions

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• just purchased a new 2007 quest 3.5S with the power package!!!
  • I also had an '04, though in SL trim, that was an absolutely horrible experience. In many states it would have automatically qualified for lemon-law buyback, but not in Missouri, whose laws are heavily slanted towards the manufacturers (since Missouri used to have much of its economy dependent upon automakers). Mine was an extremely early build, with a build date in the first week of June 2003.

Unlike cableguy06, I decided to give the incentives a try and picked up an '06 SE in July of '06 just when the '07s were starting to roll out. Thus far we've had exactly one problem with the '06--a failure of one of the tire pressure monitors. The experience is completely unlike that of our '04.

Nissan was still a monumentally horrible company to deal with for customer service issues, and the original dealer from which I bought the vehicle was reprehensibly useless. Certainly the incentives were the only reason I considered another Nissan product, but I found another dealer that was actually decent, too.

For those out there who think I might be a troll, you're quite wrong. Look at the now-closed original "problems/questions board" and you'll find my name dating nearly all the way back to the beginning. The '04s had problems--lots of them. From my own experience, it appears they may have actually resolved most of them, which is a good thing.
  • I have been a Quest SE owner since Jul, 2004 (paid over $38K for a loaded SE). I have had so many problems with this car, you will not believe (SOUNDING LIKE IT IS FALLING APART: squeeks, rattles, doors shakes, sounds of metal hitting metal, rear seats sounds, steering wheel, wheel alignment and many more). A quick online search made me realize I am not alone with having these problems and many others. The sad thing is Nissan does not care and will not do anything about it, except offering you a huge loss in a trade in value and selling you another Quest. Do they really think people are that stupid?
    Now you would imagine that their customer service should be so good to relief some of the burden of their clients, won't you? Well that is not the case. Here is a quick synopsis of what happened lately: I was surprised to discover that my Credit Score dropped substantially due to NMAC (Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp. - the financial side of Nissan USA) claim that my April 2005 payment had not been made – a claim that I disputed with the Credit Bureau in question. I called NMAC 3 times to rectify what is an incorrect claim. Each of the 3 calls involved at least half an hour or so of explaining and holding the phone and resulted in the line going dead from their end without any response from NMAC. I submitted a written certified request to NMAC management, for clarification which remains unanswered for more than a month now. NMAC are now claiming that the April 05 payment is made on time but a couple of payments were late in 2006 (this claim went to the Credit Bureau mind you, complete and utter neglect to their client).
    I must question Nissan's Customer service and record keeping, not mentioning how Nissan treat their loyal customers, by reporting them to Credit Bureaus even for false reporting.
    Although I am quite certain these incorrect claims could be cleared up if I could get anyone from NMAC to respond to me, I have had to transfer this issue to my lawyer to take the necessary action to rectify the situation and claim for damages.
    ANYONE CONSIDERING DOING BUSINESS WITH NISSAN OR NISSAN MOTOR ACCEPTANCE CORP. IS WELL ADVISED NOT TO BOTHER!
  • After the seemingly endless re-calls, I'm sucking it up and trading our 2004 Quest (and the remainder of our payments) for a 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I'd rather have no payments and deal with the Wagoneer problems as they arise.
    Can't say I've been too happy with the Quest...MPG, rattles, re-calls, customer service.
    Interesting…today I received a letter from a local Nissan dealer about a “buy back” program they are offering. This letter states that they are looking to increase their inventory of used quality vehicles.

I’m not sure if the amount they would offer would pay our outstanding balance…but my wife said she doesn’t want anything else (other than a BMW :) ).

We’ve only had one recall (05 SE)…the second row releases…what other ones have you had? MPG…not so great (or not as good as I hoped), rattles…a couple…mostly from the front DVD, and now passenger side sliding door…customer service – yes, very bad.

Not sure if we’d buy another Quest, but all the Odyssey owners I know (ok…only 4) have had their trannies replaced (some a couple times). Don’t know any Sienna owners (not a Toyota fan…would go Kia first).
    the problems you guys are experiencing with your Quests. Our 05 Quest is still happily chugging along with just over 20K miles. The mileage has noticably improved over the past year, from 20 mpg to ~22 mpg with the same kind of driving. No problem to report as of yet. We still love our Quest. Hope you guys will eventually have the issues resolved soon.
    Hi, Gary,

Since we have a discussion for brake issues, I've moved your post and its responses there: Nissan Quest Brake Issues

I've moved the posts about doors freezing and squeaking to our existing Nissan Quest Door and Window Issues discussion, so that members looking for info about these issues will be able to find them easily.

I don't understand why Edmunds feels such need for sub-groups. One for the door, one for the brakes, where does this end? Why don't we get rid of this forum? What's left to discuss here? Yeah, go ahead and delete my post.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Posts: 160
    I tried to find a sub-group titled "Satisfied with no problems after 36k miles" but didn't exist. ;)

Our just turned 45k miles, 2004 Quest SE, and we still love it!
    :shades:
    Maybe you should create one...No! :)

Our 05 just passed the 20K mile mark. Still runs like new.
  • tjshantjshan Posts: 28
    I used this forum extensively befor buying our 06 SE in May of 2006 and found it very helpful. that was befor the administrator went and chopped up the threads and efectively killed the interest and zeal of the posters.

Now, just a few months later, there are hardly any new posts...It is unfortunate.

Administrator...please take note
  • sopecreeksopecreek Posts: 203
    Just passed 31 K, 05 SL runs better than new (except a squeak from driver side sliding door area.) I had an accident at the end of last year due to my fault, about $5K damage to the front covered by insurance. Two days ago, almost had another one with left-turning car that just froze in my lane when she realized she would not make it. With 6 adults in the van, somehow my Quest stopped with literally inches left to the other car. The ABS worked perfectly and my friends were impressed. It was even more impressive since the brake pads (original) must have been pretty worn with this mileage. Still original tires, but will need to change them around 35K, I expect.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Posts: 203
    Check it out at Tirerack.com. You can now choose Yokohama tires for your Quest with 16" original. Great reviews you can find on the Avid TRZ. You don't need to buy the Goodyear anymore. And it's about $40 cheaper per tire.

Yokohama AVID TRZ
    (Standard Touring All-Season)

Size: 225/65HR16
    Serv. Desc: 99H
    UTQG: 700 A B Price: $92.00 (each)
    Estimated Availability: In Stock