Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• My 2004 SE had problems with the brakes. The rotors were warped and the dealer had to turn them and clean the pads. Am I alone to think that this is unusual at only 13,000 miles?

BTW, Nissan only warranties this for 1 yr/12,000 miles so I was out of luck.

I have seen some other postings and I am wondering if this problem is widespread.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    Without my instrument panel in front of me…my 05 Quest SE has a front defog and rear defog button on the same round dial. This is activated by pushing the top of the dial (push front for front, rear for rear)

Our climate control system is usually on all the time, so we never get fogged up.
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Geaux_tigers, you'll probably get a better idea of how widespread the problem is by checking with the folks in the Nissan Quest Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion.

Claire

HOST

• eyeblindeyeblind Posts: 156
    I agree with you about the lack of split fold-down third row. I have, however, found a way to accomplish something similar with my Quest. Flipping down one of the second row seats has, on occasion, given me similar cargo flexibility and you can still seat six. We have also flipped down one of the second row seats while traveling with my wife and I and our 5 year old and 18 month old. I am driving, my 5 year old is in the one second row seat and my wife and 18 month old are in the third row. Flipping that unoccupied second row seat gives my wife even more room to stretch out her legs.
    As for no second row roll down windows. I am happy with the skyview and the third row power flip open windows.
    Your opinion on advertising differences between Nissan and Honda I definitely agree with you on that one. In fact, as I'm writing this the " Mom's have changed, shouldn't the mini van" commercial just ran on t.v.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    I did reset the trip computer every time, at least one of the 3 (or2?) trips. I thought the displayed mpg is the efficiency at that moment or averaged every 5 miles or something. Is it not? If not, do I need to reset all 3 or 2 trips?
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Posts: 160
    Well, we bit the bullet and took the kids to see Mickey! Was a 10 hour drive for us. We had two adults, one teenager, and three kids. We had plently of space for our suitcases, pillows, and toys, etc. All the storage areas proved well used during the trip. We averaged 23.8 MPG for the entire trip (I reset the MPG figures before we left and at fill up). The kids watched movies, the teenager slept and listed to CD's. We enjoyed the Bose radio and its RDS features. We 'discovered' during this trip that you can use RDS to search for stations, which was cool. As usual for our van, no noises, squeeks, rattles, or problems. We now have around 16,000 trouble free miles on it. The AC cooled fine, even in the July 4th FL heat. Actually, we couldn't leave the rear AC higher than 2 as the kids complained of being cold. We also discovered that if you hold down the unlock button on the key fob, the windows roll down. This was a nice feature when coming back to the scorching hot van in the WDW parking lots. We saw more Quest in Orlando than we have ever seen.
    We still love our Quest and recommend it to all with kids! :)
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    I don't consider myself overly paranoid, but, in considering purchase, I was checking the Quest manual to see what it said about the now inevitable "data recorder" on vehicles, and here's what popped up.

"Special equipment can be used to access the electronic data that may be stored in the vehicle's computers (sounds are not recorded). NISSAN and NISSAN dealers have equipment to access some of this data; others may also have this
    equipment. The data may be retrieved during routine vehicle servicing or for special research. It might also be accessed with the consent of the vehicle owner or lessee, in response to a request by law enforcement, or as otherwise required or
    permitted by law."

I know this isn't necessarily particular to Nissan, and I know these recorders have some diagnostic benefits. But I still can't get behind having "law enforcement" with access to information collected on a vehicle that is owned by me but the collection of which I have no control over. IMO, manufacturers in general and Nissan in particular needs to give us more than a couple of brief paragraphs on this whole concept. Whaddya think?
  • paanmcpaanmc Posts: 4
    Tamu2002:

You may have already taken care of this by now, but in case not...

We bought a LATCH "retrofit" for one our car seats (our newer seat is already LATCH enabled). It's basically just a short piece of seatbelt web, with hooks at both ends and an adjustor. I think we got it at Babys R Us, or one of those stores where they carry lots of seats and strollers (we originally bought it for our older car). Even if you get a new LATCH seat, it just has a similar piece already attached to it (at least ours did).

BTW, you replied a while back to one of my postings about a double stroller in the back -- I assume you've now tried that? We now have a single, but may soon be upgrading to a double (the kind that also holds the infant carrier in front). Any problems fitting? I'm assuming not, but thinking it might need to sit upright. Thanx!
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Posts: 109
    I'm not sure about your vehicle but in my SE, the MPG button is different than the trip button. In other words, the MPG does NOT reset when you reset the trip meters. I think you have to hold down the MPG button for several seconds until it resets itself.
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 429
    Double stroller does not have to be standing upright in mine.
    That's how my SE works as well.
  • cirrusscirruss Posts: 87
    Any 04+ owners notice when you turn on the A/C, and you set it to bilevel (face and foot), that vent in the front for both the driver and passenger side is blowing directly at your ankle making driving extremely uncomfortable. My complaint is strictly based on the fact that all the other cars I have driven in my lifetime blows A/C around the footwell area and cooling the entire space, but for the Quest, I end up getting one ankle that is frozen while everything else is still not cooled. My wife also noticed exact same thing whenever she drives. Any one else noticed this.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Posts: 203
    Not the trip meter but a separate button with 'fuel econ' sign on it, i think. I push it once, it shows the mpg figure (I just checked the manual, it's averaged over a whole period since last reset) then I push it on for a second or two, it will reset. It's 2005 SL, I'm not sure if there is a difference between models.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Posts: 203
    Well, my 05 SL model does not have that front defog button... That would have been great for me.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    Thanks. Yes, we have bought a double stroller since and it fits just fine in the rear well when folded. I don't think though it'll fit unfolded. We've also solved the car sear problem by buying a new booster for our soon-to-be 5 year old and used the one with LATCH on our 2 year old. Today we just brought home our 3rd baby (yeh!). I think we'll just buy a good infant car seat with a base and put the baby in the 2nd row seat and move our oldest one to the back. We do have another infant car seat but that one doesn't have LATCH. Maybe we can get a kit for it as you did for yours. We'll see.

And thanks guys and gals for your enlightenment on the features! I didn't realize the resetting of the mpg button and the windows roll down feature with the unlock button. I just tried them and they worked as you said! :surprise: I can't wait to take our Quest on the road tomorrow to see what mpg I'll get. Given this finding it seems the computer is almost right on!

I also think I've found what's causing the rattles in our van. I think it's the outside panels that cover up the sliding door tracks. I tapped on the panel and duplicated the same noise. Are they just loose? Is it hard to correct? Has anybody here experiences this?
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    We have an 05 SL that's used a s a company vehicle and by my family. It has almost 12,000 miles on it since purchased new in December.

We averaged 22.8 mpg for the first 6,000 - by actual logbook. That includes break-in and a lot of winter driving (30-40 mph on highway, for example). The highest tank we've recorded so far is 26.5, on a mostly highway trip NH-MA-CT-NH going 70-75 withe the AC on.

Even the minivan haters at work - you know, those ridiculous people who drive around by themselves in a gigantic SUV so that others won't think they're middle-aged parents (fooling no one) - really enjoy driving this van. The 5spd and leather wheel on the SL and SE are big plusses.

Why isn't it more popular? INCREDIBLE stupidity by Nissan marketing folks on the speedometer. A bad manufacturing start - Detroit grade. Auto Writers who seemed to read other reviews and then pile on - including factual errors.

The speedometer takes ten minutes to get used to. The fact that the Mini Cooper has been a smash hit with a central speedometer pod while NISSAN got blasted in this market shows what a miscalculation it was. Now that the manufacturing problems are behind them, the ride, handling, performance, operating economy, room, and looks of this vehicle - and a $2,500 rebate - are getting some momentum in the marketplace. We've had no problems and the 05 seems to have addressed the build quality issues of the 04 as promised.
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    I agree totally on the marketing concept. If a company takes a chance on doing something different, the company has to be prepared to sell that difference or not bother doing it. If Nissan decided that relocating the instruments and creating the pod was worthwhile on a totally redesigned vehicle, it should have been prepared to market the car in a way that made buyers comfortable with the ideas--from both an aesthetic and practical point of view--or stick with the traditional. As it stands, Nissan redesigned the vehicle, tried to sell other aspects of it, but just sort of left the instruments and the pod to speak for themselves, with predictable results. Now they are more or less running away from the whole idea and doing a redesign of the instruments for 07 (?) giving people like me who are on the fence even more pause.
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 429
    Has anybody read this article on Edmunds?:

Who benefits from side and head airbags?

It says:
    "For example, the 2004 Nissan Quest offered a head curtain airbag that covered only the first and second rows, even though it offered third-row seating. For 2005, the head curtain airbag in the Quest is large enough to protect all three rows."

Is this true? I was under the impression that the 2004 has curtain airbags for all three rows. See the owner's manual here (page 38 aka 1-22):

owner's manual

I bought a late-in-the-year 2004, so maybe the research I did online was actually referring to the 2005? I only have one kid using the third row now, in the center position, so I guess it's not the end of the world, but occasionally we will rearrange and have an adult back there. I specifically discussed this safety feature with my sales rep. As usual I knew more about the vehicle than they did... I will be disappointed if I was misled.
    That is a surprise. When we purchased our 05 we were also informed the side air bags protected the third row passengers, which I also assumed the 04’s did. I would also assume that the error is on the Edmunds article and not the manufacturer’s auto manual (since that should have been thoroughly reviewed…for legal purposes)

Even though side airbags are not designed to protect smaller children, I always thought they offered some protection from the broken glass and projectiles.
  • eyeblindeyeblind Posts: 156
    I saved my 04 Quest detailed, color brochure. I am looking at the section on safety. It clearly states "there are standard roof mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags with front,second-and third-row outboard head protection."
    They have a large color picture clearly showing this. I just checked the Nissan wesite. It is the same information and the same picture that is on the website for the 05's. Edmunds has clearly made a mistake in the article. How does one get them to correct their mistake>