Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    It does not have a full length side curtains, which cover from 1st row to 3rd row in full... go to nissanusa.com and click "safety", you can see the van has side curtain standard, however, the side curtains cover only about half both first row and second row. Yes, the 3rd row gets well protected.

What about trizone climate control, teloscopic steering wheel, more gear selections... i havent listed, but i found those thing are not as useful. The average buyer may want features i listed on post #1994! That's why they pick others over quest... also, i have 2 other points on the #1994 that also causes the poor sales. Lastly, many people describe it has too much hard plastic in the car! However, I like this interior a lot, IMO the interior is just as good as ody and sienna (my eyes are good and dont need an eye examination :P)!
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    head rests must be removed when fold flat

If you move the front seats forward a bit and the headrest is down, you can leave them onnow - we do it all the time.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    It does not have a full length side curtains, which cover from 1st row to 3rd row in full... go to nissanusa.com and click "safety", you can see the van has side curtain standard, however, the side curtains cover only about half both first row and second row. Yes, the 3rd row gets well protected.

Still don't see it...it shows all the areas where your head may come in contact covered by the side air bag.

"Side Curtain Air Bags*
    Roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags help provide enhanced head protection for front-, second-, and third-row outboard passengers."

Tri-zone...agreed...wouldn't quad zone be better. Front Passenger - 1 and Front Driver - 2, 2nd row seats - 3, 3rd row seats - 4
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Everyone's opinion is welcome, but it's limited to their opinions about cars -- not other posters. Because everyone's entitled to an opinion about cars, you're likely to see posts that bother you; the best way to deal with them is to pass over them without engaging the poster or acknowledging the post. If you have problems with the moderation of the Forums, I'll be happy to discuss it via email; doing so here only bogs the discussion down.

Claire

HOST

• famof3kidsfamof3kids Posts: 160
    The hitch is a class III hitch, rated for 3500lbs.
  • ydchoeydchoe Posts: 7
    Thank you very much for sharing. It looks great! Are you plan to install a Transmission Cooler as well?
  • nishonbarunishonbaru Posts: 39
    I have noticed the same negative comments from a small group of people
    Small group?
    The vast majority of postings concerning the 2004 are negative.
    Just when does the moderator stop this. As the bashing is allowed it really cheapens this site.
    Why should the moderator stop this? You want to only read positive reviews? An open minded person would want to know everything and then form and opinion.

These posters must be angry because the bought a Dodge or Chevy for more than a Quest costs
    Why would I post anything about a car that I don't own. I have never owned an American car. I want to let everyone know what my experience has been with Nissan and the Quest. Do you want the work invoices from the dealer? I have all of them. I can E-mail copies to you. They have been scanned and sent to my atty. Furthermore, I think all you owners of 2004's that post such positive messages about the Quest must work for Nissan and are trying to salvage any credibility Nissan has.

Again, your positive experience with the Quest is great. I hope you don't have to go through what I have gone through with Nissan. However, I believe that my experience is more the norm. Do your research. Even check the owner reviews of the 2004 Nissan Quest here on the Edmunds site. Check Consumer Reports. Read the 2004+ problems posted here on Edmunds.

You may come away with a different opinion than I have. But I really believe that Nissan has delivered a mechanically inferior product.

By the way, it's not the engine that is the problem. Breaks, transmission, and rattles beyond the norm are.

This is all I'll say about my experience here. I had always reserved my postings for the 2004+ problems and solutions page. As for my Quest, it's a :lemon:
  • spoonieboy1spoonieboy1 Posts: 22
    nishonbaru, all your prior posts consist of one sentence cheap shots about the Quest. Is it any wonder your motivation is questioned. You have a shout it from the mountain top posting history. You say you got a bad Quest and by god they are all bad. Well thats just not true, the vast majority are well put together fine vehicles. Lemons do happen to all brands of vehicles not just Nissan or Quest. The Quest has less problems than most vans. A few Quests do have brake rotor, tranny module and rattle issues but no more than a Honda or Toyota. Check other minivan forums you will see the same issues discussed.
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Posts: 44
    Hi Nishonbaru,
    I am sorry for all the trouble you and others who have experienced with your Nissan Quest. Having said that, I'd like to bring up a few issues. First, it seems that fewer peopple complaint about the Quest 05 or 06. You yourself pointed out most of the complaints either in this forum or "problems and solutions" forum are tied to the Quest 04. This suggests that Nissan has listened/read their client's complaints and gone back to fix SOME of these problems. To me the Quest assembly quality has improved a lot since their first release. Personally I experienced NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER with my Quest 05. Couldn't ask for a better van. Second, the Quest poor reliability and negative reviews in different sites/journals. My one world for all of them: BIAIS! For instance Edmunds's reviewers tested the Quest 04 SL rather than SE while they did the test with Sienna XLE Limited. Their choice introduced a biais that perhaps not many people, including themselves (!!!), realized. For all their ranting and raving about the engine, transmission, equipment, etc. it all caused by their initial choice of model to be tested, and not due to the vehicle itself. Nevertheless their words undoubtedly hurt the Quest in comparison to other minivans. Therefore to the potential buyers, Quest seems to be the vehicle to stay away. In addition I venture quite often to Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey forums. There you find many people who are also very dissatified with their vans which BTW consistently ranked higher than the Quest in many minivan comparisons. To me it just seems strange that there the owners appear less virulent in expressing their dissatisfaction, whereas some including you here claim their Quest is a lemon. Again, to be fair, should we all call the vehicles giving us trouble "lemon" regardless of their brand? :P. Another example of biais is related to the Quest center console. In my earlier post, I mentioned that's one item all the reviewers LOVE TO HATE. What's the big deal about it?! BTW, Toyota scion , echo and yaris have similar configuration. But here do we hear any virulent critic as we saw with the Quest? Nope, nada, niet! Why double standard? Is it because perhaps it's Toyota (the Edmund's reviewer golden child!)? In the same vein, I should perhaps mention about the stacked gauges in the new Honda Civic. Wow, talking about crowding your DIRECT FIELD OF VISION! Again very "velvety" critcs from different reviewers? Hum, conspiracy against the Quest?!!! :P On the Quest, one Edmund tester, perhaps Karl, even said,"I will NEVER EVER like the Quest center pod!" Hum, did he say the same thing about Toyota vehicles?!!! Perhaps you should ask him as you suggested in your post,"Do you also work for X company in addition to your regular job as vehicle reviewer?!" :)... Finally contrary to your claim Quest is NOT a mechanically inferior product. Again, your bad experience with your own Quest may seem to say so, but other minivans experience just about the same set of problems too. For every unhappy Quest owner, there is a satisfied counterpart and this applies to all brands. We should all remember that in these particular forums, it should come as no surprise that most of the posters experience various degrees of problems with their vehicles, and seek advice/help from other fellows, and are naturally unhappy with what they're experiencing. Happy owners have really NOTHING to say about their vans, right? I wish you a happy (or happier) ending with your Quest, be it Nissan buy back or refund, whatever, and you be happy with your choice of next vehicle. I understand your and every other owner's frustration about the Quest problems, but as I said, these seem to be tied with the Quest earlier versions.
    Have a good day,
    Phuc
  • exploder750exploder750 Posts: 159
    "Furthermore, I think all you owners of 2004's that post such positive messages about the Quest must work for Nissan and are trying to salvage any credibility Nissan has."-nishonbaru
    Sorry, I have no vested interest in Nissan other than my wife liked the Quest so much we went ahead with purchasing a used '04, knowing full well of the potential issues. Quite frankly, the thing is a barge to park, but she loves it. Ours is a fairly early build, 10/03, and not bad overall. The tranny module issue happened, and being aware of it from this forum, I promptly parked and re-started it. It ran fine after that, and I was able to take it to the dealer without frying the tranny, and they promptly fessed up and replaced the module. Outside of that, they've been very good about taking care of the rattle issues/recalls, etc. I'm rotating the tires regularly and keeping close eye on the brakes. The plastic push pin fasteners that hold plastic shrouds into place are rather chinsy, so I'll need to keep those replaced. All in all, we got a good deal on our '04, and we like it. Hell, it's bigger and more powerful than our old '95 Caravan, and it does better on gas. But man, I hate parking that tank. :)
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    A few Quests do have brake rotor, tranny module and rattle issues but no more than a Honda or Toyota. Check other minivan forums you will see the same issues discussed.

I frequently read other minivan forums...and nishonbaru is correct. The 2004+ Quest has much more quality and reliability problems than any other minivan, except maybe the Kia Sedona.

I don't recall reading about any owner of a Sienna van complaining of having a lemon. Maybe, a couple Ody owners. But, neither seem to have the ongoing issues that can't be corrected like many Quest posts indicate.
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Posts: 44
    I went in Honda Odyssey "Problems&Solutions (2005+ models) and typed in "bad quality". Check it yourself. You'll see that misery has no preference in its victims. As said earlier, all cars experience problems. My point is it seems many posts in the Quest called it a "lemon" whereas in other forums, people just said, "I will not buy this X brand anymore" or some gentle version of this kind.

A message to the host,
    Should we create a new section like "Quest 2005+" to distinguish it from earlier released Quest 03-04? Perhaps we won't get many posts about assembly-related problems?
  • sopecreeksopecreek Posts: 203
    Agree... In parking lots, it's hard to park the Quest straight or centered at first try. Its turning radius seems to be very large, too. I love driving mine, though. Just passed 1 year and 15K. There is minor steering wheel vibration while braking which started almost immediately after the purchase, but it has not got any worse afterwards, so I'm not concerned. Tires look to have about another 15 K tread life left. Everyone who sees the center console says spaceship remark. I ask them if they have seen inside of spaceship, they say no :)
  • spoonieboy1spoonieboy1 Posts: 22
    Some Toyota and Honda minivan problems in other forums seem to be of a more serious nature than a nasty,bad,mean,unbearable door rattle or the more serious squeaky wheather strip issue with these dang Quests. Some of these other vehicles actually have problems like failure to start,transmissions exploding,engines exploding,owners being stranded,etc.As soon as I see these problems develop in my 2005 Quest S IM gonna trade that sucker in on a Toyota. Spoonster
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Vinh, we generally start a new topic for a model when there's been a major redesign, so this topic applies to models through 2006.

We do have a topic for discussing problems here, though -- (Nissan Quest 2004+ Problems & Solutions) -- and posting problems there would probably keep this area free for discussing other things.

Claire

HOST

• nishonbarunishonbaru Posts: 39
    Or having to have the transmission replaced every 10,000 miles.
  • exploder750exploder750 Posts: 159
    How much was your settlement with Nissan after your lawyer took his cut?
  • plashenickplashenick Posts: 162
    Just my 2-cents. Depending on the state the lawyer fees are paid directly by Nissan and do not come from the settlement. I think this is true in nearly every state. This way lawsuits are not "get rich" schemes for the lawyer.

I can say my lawyer got much more then I got, but did not impact what my settlement was.
  • chiefdocchiefdoc Posts: 16
    I've had the Q since Jan 04, I've experienced most of the issues, figured someone would like this info:

Sliding Doors - did recall for squeaks, resolved.

Tranny - put in drive and wouldn't move, had ECM replaced per bulletin, no reoccurrence.

Seating - installed aftermarket leather, great investment w/2 boys.

Tires - Replaced LS2's w/Yokohama Avid V4s 235/60/16, BEST DECISION MADE, a world of difference. NO MORE vibrations noticed in steering or cabin. GET RID OF your LS2's!!!! I've had no clearance or turning radius issues. The speedometer is about 1-2 mph faster, has been a non issue.

Engine Whin - timing chain pulley replaced a year ago, just came back!

Fuel Gauge issue has not occurred in past year.

Installed Weathertech bug deflector, vent shade and well protector, good products.

Installed dash cover to cut down on glare (w/Steelers logo!!).

All in all it has served it's purpose and the family loves traveling in the Q. Hope info was helpful to someone.
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    These posters must be angry because the bought a Dodge or Chevy for more than a Quest costs
    Why would I post anything about a car that I don't own. I have never owned an American car. I want to let everyone know what my experience has been with Nissan and the Quest. Do you want the work invoices from the dealer? I have all of them. I can E-mail copies to you. They have been scanned and sent to my atty. Furthermore, I think all you owners of 2004's that post such positive messages about the Quest must work for Nissan and are trying to salvage any credibility Nissan has.

Your email is private. I'd love to see proof that you ever owned a Quest, how do I get in touch?