Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Toyota Tacoma To Debut at Detroit Auto Show | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Toyota
image2016 Toyota Tacoma To Debut at Detroit Auto Show | Edmunds.com

The redesigned 2016 Toyota Tacoma midsize pickup truck will debut at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show in January, Toyota announced on Thursday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• maxwell99maxwell99 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    Lets hope Toyota improves upon some of the unacceptable engineering issues rampid in the second generation of Tacoma's. Many owners have experienced a wide variety of issues for all models of Tacoma since 2005, some of which include: driveshaft vibration, mexican made LUK brand clutch failure, faulty leaf springs, terribly designed plastic clutch pedal, rough shifting manual transmissions, etc.. being an owner of a 2007 myself, I can vouch for three of these issues with my Tacoma.

The First generation of Tacoma's had their problems, but were much more bulletproof and well engineered than the Second generation. Toyota of America has slowly started re-engineering the once fully JDM truck with cut-rate mfg processes, composites, and imported Mexican or dare I say Chinese parts.....while the consumer still pays FULL Toyota quality prices.....for the idea of the Old standard of Toyota quality....which was fully Japanese made....what happened to those Tacoma's? Greed. This is why the first generation Tacoma's are still highly valued. Quality.

Aside the problems, the Tacoma is still a great truck with great styling and capability. I really hope Toyota does not ruin the 2016 Tacoma like they have the new 4-runner. The front end of the 4-runner looks sloppily designed and is just plain absurd and hideous!!! I pray they have not designed the front end of the Tacoma with the same embarrassing fate....I feel confident in saying that many Tacoma enthusiasts would Gladly pay top dollar for a Tacoma, if the engine was offered in a bulletproof four or six cylinder turbo diesel, much like that of a hilux along with the old standards of engineering. The Tacoma has staked its claim in history as being one of the most durable trucks ever made..because they are/were..lets keep it that way Toyota.....we dont like recalls and having to re-design engineering flaws.....dont fail us!
  • tacomamudpittacomamudpit Member Posts: 65
    Agreed with Maxwell99 above - In addition, not sure how long this 2016 truck has been in the works? Or if it's something Toyota had a vision for over-night after seeing new competition and "molded a new front clip" and call it a 2016. Carry-over engines, dated 5 speed autos and continued appalling MPG could be a dreadful demise for the new Tacoma.

Let us all hope Toyota upgrades the automatic to at least a 6 speed, incorporates some engine technologies such as direct injection, and for the first time in the history of the Tacoma let’s see if Toyota goes with Rear Disc Brakes? An over-all quieter cabin would be nice. Those are just some of the anomalies.

If the ‘front clip’ of the 2016 Tacoma looks anything like some of their Lexus SUV's or that 4runner – I think sales will continue to tailor off. How about some sunlight in the cabin; a power moon roof would be nice. A whole new dash board (like the new highlander) with traditional gauges.

I hope I'm all wrong here and the NEW (we shall see how this truck is defined as "all new") Tacoma is a HUGE hit – because my check book has been waiting 10 years for this!
  • themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    Watch for the TuRD
  • scottnsc2scottnsc2 Member Posts: 29
    Just hope it doesn't adopt the styling of the current 4 Runner. That is one of the ugliest vehicles on the road.
  • pierreluc79pierreluc79 Member Posts: 1
    Dont worry guys! I have seen the truck in a toyota canada meeting in hawaii last november and the truck is amazing.The V6 engine will be 3.5 liter direct injection with a new transmission and new HP and miles per gallon rating. You won't be disapointed believe me!
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    Good, Pierre. I don't think I can handle another 3rd-generation Tundra disappointment.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test