Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• jatanjatan Posts: 92
    Honda Care extends your factory bumper-to-bumper warranty (its not car maintenance/service) and you can find it cheaper from online Honda dealers (check the last few pages in this thread for links)

First find a good deal on a new Honda and buy the car then you can buy HC online if you want to extend the factory warranty. You have until 6m/6k miles to get HC "new car" pricing -- after that the price goes up (you have to buy it before your 3yr/36k mi warranty expires)

It varies from person to person on if HC is worth it -- if you plan on having your car fixed at repair shops then buying HC for a discounted price online is worth it (that way you can take it to any Honda dealer if there's a problem and have it repaired with original Honda parts). If you can do some repairs yourself or you live in an area where there are good independent repair shops then it may not be worth it

Another thing to consider is if you're buying a newly redesigned model or end of the life model. On the 06-11 Civic, the early 06-08 models had problems that were fixed in later 09-11 models. On the 08-12 Accords, the early 08-09 models had problems that were fixed in later years. If you're buying a newly redesigned model then its probably worth it -- if there are problems with the early models and it takes Honda 3-5 yrs for them to admit the problem and issue technical service bulletins then your extended HC warranty will cover it. Only car recalls are fixed for free with or without warranty, but TSBs are only free if you're still under warranty

When I bought my '11 Civic LX, I decided to skip HC since the LX is just a basic trim (nothing fancy inside) and '11 was the final year of that Civic model (most of the car problems from 06-08 Civics were fixed in 09-11 models). Another thing is that I can do small repairs myself and if something big comes up after the factory warranty expires then I have a couple of good independent shops where I can take my car to. I also like to do my own maintenance earlier than necessary with quality parts/fluids so I know that its done right and that I shouldn't have any problems due to lack of maintenance
  • kenkenkenken Posts: 21
    It increases after 6 months and.or 6000 miles. I would think that with the average Honda, you would not have to worry about 5 years...that said, I have had a multitude of problems with my 2011 Odyssey which has made the 96/120 HondaCare warranty worth the $1170 I paid for it.

It's like health insurance...it's a total waste of money until you get sick!
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,743
    Didn't buy one and the couple of real issues I had, were taken care of by TSB's and I got reimbursed from Honda by 1/2 for the tires and a/c issue so I'm definitely ahead here. And sadly, this will be my last Honda as nothing they have is doing it for me. If by 2016 or 2017 they do, then I might change my mind. But for now, staying the course.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• joncab5joncab5 Posts: 8
    I bought my extended warranty from Saccuri Honda last summer (2012) and had no issues. Great Price. Local dealer could not even get close. I told them I was buying online and they actually complimented me on being a really smart customer.
  • joncab5joncab5 Posts: 8
    I have had great luck too. Very easy and all was done online.

Saved me lots of money.
  • drezheredrezhere Posts: 12
    edited March 2013
    Hi, did you buy the HondaCare extended warranty? If so, what is the model and year of your vehicle? Have you used the HondaCare warranty? I recently purchased a 2013 Honda Accord EX sedan. It is the brand new redesigned model year for the Honda Accord. I can purchase the HondaCare 8 Year or 100,000 mile extended warranty for $970. It will cover everything under Honda's normal 3 year or 36,000 mile warranty and is backed by Honda. I am trying to determine what other people have done, to help decide if I should purchase the extended warranty or save my money and hope for the best? Thank you and have a great day!
  • I am thoroughly confused by the different plans, HC, Sentinel & Maintenance!
    Does HC extended coverage INCLUDE, Sentinel road hazard, concierge, etc, or must that be purchased separately? (road hazard seems to be excluded in NY?).
    The dealer seemed to be presenting the plans like "3 card monte", the only thing I was dissatisfied by the new purchase!
    If extended HC is purchased thru Hyannis, Bernardi, etc, is the Honda payment plan an option, or one total payment?
    Online dealers probably have payment plans -- contact one of them to see what they offer

Your dealer may offer 3rd party protection plans (they'll have brochures in the finance dept), but here are the different Honda products:
    http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/finance/extended-services (brochure links on the right)

Honda Care -- extends bumper to bumper warranty and offers these benefits (no oil changes or road hazard tire coverage):
    http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/static/pdf/Honda_Care_Coverage_Details.pdf-
    Roadside Assistance1, 2
    Concierge Emergency Service1, 2, 3
    Rental Car Reimbursement1
    Trip Interruption Benefit1, 2
    Personalized Travel Plan2, 8
    Interest-Free Payment Plan4
    Extensive Component Coverage5
    Service You Can Depend On6
    Transferable Coverage1, 9
    Commercial Use Coverage7

Honda Care Sentinel Services™: This plan covers oil changes according to your vehicle’s Maintenance Minder.
    http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/static/pdf/Honda_Care_Sentinel_Coverage_De- tails.pdf
    Both Sentinel plans also include a suite of benefits such as road hazard tire protection10, concierge emergency service1, 2, 3 and roadside assistance1, 2.

Honda Care Sentinel 3/45. This premier plan provides both oil change and extensive component coverage for three years or 45,000 miles.
    http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/static/pdf/Honda_Care_Sentinel_345.pdf
    Both Sentinel plans also include a suite of benefits such as road hazard tire protection10, concierge emergency service1, 2, 3 and roadside assistance1, 2.
    Assume the more services, the higher the price...correct? Sometimes for one's piece of mind, these warranty's are the way to go but sometimes not. Depends on one's perception and feelings towards risk and of course, the vehicle. By and large, Honda's should be pretty reliable but the more electronic gizmo's, I guess the need for the warranty goes up. Makes sense in these cases.

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• ken117ken117 Posts: 207
    Before spending money on an extended warranty, why not think about how pricing for these service contracts is developed. People who are experts about the repair history of vehicles develop the price they will need to charge for these contracts and make a profit.

These experts understand the majority of owners will spend less than the price on repairs over the period covered by the contract. Therefore it is reasonable for a buyer to conclude the cost to repair all events covered by the contract will be less than the cost of the contract for most buyers.

Making the purchase of a service contract even more dubious is dealers also include their profit, which can sometimes be more than the actual cost of the contract.

Dealer finance and insurance people are experts at making potential service contract buyers believe they need the contract. Fear is the dealer's best weapon. I always find it amusing to ask the F&I person, when they play the repair fear card, why I should buy the vehicle if it has such poor reliability?
  • After much research, I believe I'll go with the Geico MBI coverage and forego HondaCare altogether.
    $15 first six months. I realize the $250 deductible is significant but, if the Accord reliability holds true, I don't anticipate many claims and would defer using it if they're minor issues.
    I have 3yrs/36,000 miles to change my mind about HC.
    As for HC Maintenance, $1000 for 4 yrs seems excessive.
    2yrs/24K free oil changes was already included with the purchase
  • bjb43bjb43 Posts: 2
    I work in the industry - not for Honda. Generally, a warranty that's created by the OEM (Honda finance for example) is probably more likely to cover and pay claims than a non-branded product. It's my opinion that a non-branded vehicle service agreement provider will scrutinize claims much more and deny them more often because of the fine print. Don't be surprised when Geico has your claim inspected and the repair is delayed (or denied). Again..my opinion only.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    I agree with bib43 ... 100%.

A while back our son was visiting us in Ga. from In.

His Chevy Suburban had a tranny problem. He had an aftermarket EW. It was a "Good" one as the Chevy dealer he worked for sells them.

The dealer here had it torn down in a half day and determined it needed a new or re-manufactured replacement. The EW company wanted to "SEE" the tranny first hand.

Ten days later they were back on the road. Ten days!

Their child missed 6 days of school and my son missed 8 days of work, selling cars on commission.

That "Cheap" EW was not a good investment.

Kip
    Why on earth would anyone buy an aftermarket one while a manufacturer one is probably the same price or a bit cheaper? Seems best to buy from the folks who made the thing as there should be less hoops to jump through in the first place. Have never bought one myself as we tend to purchase import vehicles with pretty good reliability records. I must say though I could've used one with some of the issues I've had with my first year '06 Honda Civic but hey, I broke my major rule and number one rule when I purchased it and that was to never ever buy a first year model...ever! Circumstances beyond my control forced my hand here as I didn't want to purchase a beater for a couple of years and then buy new...have never done that and it can open up a whole unnecessary can of worms. So I went against my gut here and paid the price. With an extended Hondacare warranty, it probably would've paid for itself almost but luckily, Honda Corp covered 1/2 of each repair...good but not great. I was happy to get even that much as they could've told me to go fly a kite. I will keep that in mind for the future and remember if a family member is considering a new or used Honda product as they did "step up" finally but reluctantly. I still love the car so all is well with the world and it's been a stellar vehicle these past few years. i did have to replace the headliner a few weeks back though as the glue gave way and it was flapping in the wind and hitting my head. Stupid me never looked up in months and just assumed I was loosing more hair on top. Noticed it on a cool day when I had the windows open how much it was hanging down. Found an outfit out of Miami to come to the house to do it for $125 but due to scheduling issues, they reduced the fee to $110 to compensate me for my inconvienence...the right consumer move on their part. And they did a stellar job even though they could not match the original color...looks like it came from the factory so job well done folks...I would definitely recommend this outfit. Best to have a garage or some closed space so the car can air out with the windows open as the smell could wake the dead, it's that strong and horrible. After a couple of nights in the garage with the windows down, the smell disappeared and now it's just a distant memory.

The Happy Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• A quick note to all you naysayers on the Geico, it is not similarly priced to HC.
    I have been very happy with their insurance coverage the past 20-25 years which has provided multiple road side assistance issues and likely 6-8 windshields over that span.
    NOW, with all that being said, I am leaning back to the HC 72mos/80K miles.
    I'm also considering the HC Maintenance plan but, can't seem to get a real sense of what routine maintenance is required & it's cost in the first 4 years to make a valid comparison. "Wear items" of course aren't covered by the maintenance plan either.
    On the Mazda3s the wife has ours consisted of:
    (1) 15 oil changes;
    (2) 7 tire rotations;
    (3) 2 coolant changes;
    (4) 1 tranny service (automatic). All done within the 1st 45k miles.

Think we paid around $400.00 back in June of 2005 if my memory serves me correctly. We were not going to do it at first but after doing some quick calculations, we decided to go ahead with it, our 1st time ever doing this. Looking back, we both agree it was the right decision for her as it forced us to do these things. But make sure it's all spelled out "in plain understandable English" as the service manager tried to tell us that we just bought the oil changes and tire rotations. We had to get the GM involved and of course he backed me up 100% and the service manager had to eat crow. This didn't go over too well and he was quite rude to me after that incident so after the 45k miles were done, I only did one more oil change there when they had the new Express Lube station where the oil change and all was done in under a 1/2 hour. Ours took 46 minutes and when I pointed out their own sign to them, they reluctantly gave it to me for free, and again they were fit to be tied. I even asked them why did they put that guarantee up on the wall like they did for all to see if they had no intention of fulfilling their promise. He muttered something unintelligible to me and handed me my keys and receipt stamped "paid in full" and I was outta there. We like their vehicles but their service department leaves a lot to be desired which is exactly what I told the general manager when he placed a follow up call to me. Still waiting to hear back from him as he promised...and this happened a year ago June. Gotta feeling that this will be our last Mazda but one never knows...she might just decide to get another 3 if the Accent and Rio aren't what she thought which I think is going to happen here. I've learned to expect the "unexpected" when it comes to things like this with the ladies in our house...the mind changes easily and somehow it's always my fault to!

The Henpecked Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

edited March 2013
    Honda's prepaid maintenance isn't worth it since its only for oil changes (unless your dealer has their own custom maintenance plan in which case you should ask what they actually do, but $1000 seems excessive either way)

You're looking at oil changes, tire rotations, wiper blades, air & cabin filters mostly -- radiator coolant drain/fill & regular trans fluid drain/fill around the 3-4 yr mark if you want to or you can wait til the maintenance system tells you to (not sure about the CVT trans fluid in the new Accord, but if its like Nissan's CVT fluid then it should last a long time)

I bought a 2011 Civic 2 years ago and it currently has 22.8k miles on it -- so far I've done:
    > 5 oil changes (first 2 at a dealer, last 3 on my own)
    > 1 tire rotation around 17k mi (every 5k-10k seems excessive to me, every 15k-20k is fine by me)
    > 1 wiper blade refill, 2nd one coming up (every few weeks I use a rag to quickly clean the wiper blades and the windshield area it sits on so they last longer, local dealer has OEM refills on sale for $4/each every few months so it comes out to ~$9 w/ tax)
    > 2 air & cabin filters (change them out once a year, easy to do on your own)

I plan on changing the coolant (drain/fill radiator) and trans fluid (drain/fill trans) on my own every 30k-35k miles so that there's some fresh fluid in there -- want to avoid paying a shop to do a full flush at a higher mileage
  • Anyone know of, or hear of, a "pack" fee being added to the price of HC?
    Local dealer shows me a price sheet for the various intervals with the price then, states PLUS the pack fee?
    Are you following the manuals recommendations or just doing things when "you" think they need to be done? Sometimes some fluids are made to be "lifetime" and others need to be changed on a more frequent basis. like doing oil changes around the 4k to 5k mark but rotate much more often than you do, it's free with my oil changes so have it done every time. Also have a 3 year alignment policy which I think is good insurance...and there's no limit to how many times I can have it done. Usually have it done every 5 to 6 months just to keep things correct and hopefully prolong the tires life. I keep my car "maintained" but do not go overboard with it...everything within reason!

• karhill1karhill1 Posts: 111
    I would certainly trust GEICO more than any other non OEM extended service contract provider. Having had GEICO for more than a decade, I can only say positive things. I have not had an extended warranty with them, however.

None of us should ever forget Rusty Wallace's favorite extended service provider, US Fidelis. How many unsuspecting souls were burned by that fiasco?

If a person really feels an extended service contract is needed, despite all the experts who advise otherwise, there is no question it is best to pay more for an OEM plan. Also ... my opinion as well.
  • brianNHbrianNH Posts: 5
    I agree on the OEM part. I've used mine a few times on an 09 Pilot. Some of the issues were for TSR issues that had they turned up under warranty it would have been fixed. In this case I go to Honda, say here's the issue, here's the TSR...you guys figure out which account pays for it, but fix it.

I've seen other people end up in issues where the 3rd party warranty provider nacks a request for something they think the manufacturer should have covered and they end up eating it. You eliminate all of then when it's the same company.
    I do them on my own schedule, but I don't like to do it too early and I don't like to risk waiting too long -- Honda has a maintenance minder system in the car, but I don't follow it

I can do most of the maintenance myself so I'm only paying for parts/fluids which saves me a lot of money (no shop labor fees/charges)

Oil changes every 4000-4500 miles (when I have time)
    Air & cabin filters once a year
    Wiper blades when needed
    Tire rotation is a little annoying to do myself so I'll just have a shop do it

Alignment I'll only do it when needed -- if you can find a straight flat road/highway in your area you can hold the accelerator at a steady speed then let go of the steering wheel to see if the car goes straight or if it drifts to the right/left (make sure the road is flat since most are curved or angled to allow proper water drainage). Another thing to keep an eye on is the tire tread to see if its wearing down evenly (uneven wear is bent component or bad alignment)

Regards to Geico MBI -- you can search for online reviews, but most likely they'll try to pay for reman or aftermarket parts (if you want new OEM parts then you may have to fight for it a little or see if the dealer is willing to work with them by discounting their part prices)
  • khalelakhalela Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I have worked for both Honda and Acura as an F&I Manager, the person who sells you the warrany, and as a warranty clerk, the person who processes your warranty claim.

The last dealership I worked for pushed the JM&A aka Fidelity ESCs. To make them more attractive, they would "pack" the OEM warranty price. For example: Honda ESC dealer cost = $800, JM&A ESC dealer cost = $1500. They would create a price sheet showing the dealer "cost" for the OEM as $1600, packing the price. Just so you know, this pack is generally excluded from finance department income and added to the dealership's bottom line, saving the dealer from having to pay commission to the finance manager who sells it. Just because you know about the pack does not mean that the finance manager will be in a position to negotiate it.

That being said, I have also worked at dealerships where they sold nothing but the OEM ESC. Fortunately for you, the consumer, you can choose to purchase your ESC anywhere, as long as your car is still under warranty. And like many people have stated, most dealerships will finance it interest free for you.

So, shop around for the best price, and get an OEM ESC.

Why OEM over aftermarket?
    1. Just because the OEM is more expensive than the aftermarket at the dealership you are at, does not mean you can't find it cheaper somewhere else.

2. OEM covers tons of little stuff that is excluded by aftermarkets. One glaring example is CV boots. For whatever reason, Honda still covers these, even though most ESCs consider them a wear item. You might not think it adds up, but all those bumper fasteners, clips, nuts and bolts at $4 a pop can add another $100 to your bill.

3. Aftermarket ESCs would routinely demand that we use junkyard parts. They called them "refurbished" and sent them to us to use, but we could see the shipping label that clearly showed where these parts came from. Which brings me to antoher issue:

3a. If you have 6 months left on your ESC, and your aftermarket company replaces the tranny with a "refurbished" part, and the part fails after your warranty expires, there will be no warranty coverage for you. On the other hand, if you have 6 months remaining on your Honda ESC, and they replace the tranny, it will come with it's own 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. I have given many people the bad news that they would be paying $3500 for a tranny, even when their aftermarket ESC just replaced it 6 months earlier.

3b. Goodwill. Generally, you can ask for goodwill consideration on a major repair. If you think that a component failed before it's reasonable life span, Honda will sometimes make an exception and cover all or some of the replacement part. The regional manager who makes these exceptions always asks three things: 1. Did they buy it new? 2. Do they have a Honda ESC? 3. Are they a good service customer? Answering "No" to all those questions will not neccesarily get you turned down, but it will seriously impact the kind of offer they make you. And they won't admit it, but they do look at your service survey history and if you are a constant low scorer (think, "I always give 9's because there is always room for improvement") or end of the world complainer ("I'm done with Honda, I'm never going to shop there again."), they figure that giving you half off a tranny isn't going to turn you into a loyal customer, so why bother. If you are asking for them to replace a part that would be covered under OEM ESC but is not covered under your aftermarket ESC, they will say no everytime.

4. Loaner cars! At Acura we had a limited number of loaners, so if you had an aftermarket ESC, we would put you in an Enterprise rental Hyundai. Acura Care clients got 2013 TLs. Just sayin'.

5. Customer Service. At the end of the day, if you were unhappy or thought that something was unfair, that same regional manager dude who decides whether you get the goodwill consideration or not is a real life representative of the company. They are local people who will meet with you at the dealership and give you a chance to plead your case face to face. They are empowered by the company to approve repairs, cash payments for negligence, even the replacement of your vehicle. Good Luck trying to get an aftermarket guy to come out and meet with you. Honda truly cares about your entire ownership experience. They want you to continue to buy their product. The aftermarket company already has your money, and they will do whatever it takes to hold on to it.

I could go on all day about this, but here is my best advice: If you are considering buying an aftermarket warranty, call up the dealership where you will get your work done and ask to speak to a warranty clerk. They will tell you stright up if they have problems getting claims paid by the company. The service surveys count for so mch now, that a dealership is likely to say they will not accept your ESC and lose your business instead of taking the heat from you, when they have to break it to you how much you will be out of pocket for the repair.

Finally, get the lowest deductible offered. You are buying a Honda. The engine is not going to break. The tranny, maybe in a blue moon. The things that are going to break on your car are: window regulators ($300), belt tensioners ($200), radios ($1100), bluetooth ($900), A/C vent tabs ($200), Navigation ($2500), windshield washer motors ($375), Power door actuators ($250), air conditioning ($1600), power steering pumps ($700). Don't pay $250 everytime something little breaks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    Wow! Thanks for taking the time to share all of that info. We hope you'll stick around here - we'd certainly love to have you.

We also have a "hangout" discussion for those currently or formerly in the biz, and people who like to talk to those people :) It's called Stories from the Sales Frontlines if you're interested (and we won't even make you tell a story!)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Great post and I've experienced from Honda Corp just what you are saying here. I usually go to my mechanic for most work but do some oil changes at my local dealer just to get the Honda oem parts. Twice I've had issues with my '06 Civic and Honda has offered to pay 1/2 of the total cost. The first was with the tires and the TSB for some rear suspension parts. I had the TSB performed but had already bought new tires and didn't keep the old ones. Who really would keep 'em? Because of this, they only reimbursed me for 1/2. Same thing when an a/c part went bust right after the warranty period ended. They agreed to pay only 1/2 even though it was a part that had a very low rate of failure. I know they only would pay a fraction since I was not considered a "good service customer"...and that's their right but it left a bad taste in my mouth as this repair should've been for 100% and it has soured my whole Honda experience where I just won't purchase another vehicle from them unless it's a really good product. They lost a potential customer for years, I have 3 kids who buy cares, or will be, for basically under $200 bucks. Seems a bit foolish to me but it was a business decision on their part and not a personal one, something I understand. But I'll be making a business decision in the future to spend my money with another manufacturer...and so will my kids, I'll make sure of that.

Your jobs did sound interesting though and I'd love to work at a dealership. I did apply recently at about a dozen dealerships to be a customer transporter but since I walk with a cane, I was not even given any consideration for the job and I know my app's were all tossed. A shame since I'd be a great employee since I have a real passion for the automobile...a real passion! But hey, maybe some day and I will not give up hope. My cane does not hinder my mobility in any fashion but most can't see past it. But I also wouldn't mind working in some other office facet if such a job existed. I would be a great asset!

• Very insightful post and much appreciated.
    One glaring "monkey wrench" is the quality of the service dept. It seems easier to find a good surgeon than a good mechanic!
  • drezheredrezhere Posts: 12
    Hi, I personally think it was good for Honda to cover 50% of your repair and think it should be a reason for you to stick with them. I had a similar issue on our 2003 Civic, when the front passenger strut went soon after the warranty expired. Honda covered 75% of the cost. I was thankful, because they did not have to cover any cost. It could be a mistake to assume that a different manufacture would have treated you better. It is possible that they would pay nothing. Anyway, I appreciated Honda's attempt to make things right and I just purchased a new Accord last month. I will stick with Honda. :shades:
    Unfortunately, Honda has no products i would purchase now. the Accord is stellar but too large for me alone, the Insight has terrible outward vision and the seats/headrest are awful and the Fit just doesn't! So nothing they produce is calling to me. I'm leaning towards a small ute next go round now or a CPO'd Lexus RX330, a vehicle I'd kill for. But I do like the Nissan Rogue, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tuscon and even the Ford Escape. I need a vehicle that I can slide into easily, no more small vehicles I fall into and need help climbing out, my spine is just getting worse. So a small ute seems to be the best fit for me and hoping that with $20k cash and my '06 Civic LX, I'll be able to get a nice vehicle come 2016 or 2017 which are my target dates. I'd like to get to 60k on the Civic which by then it might be there. But the thought process now, is no more low vehicles but one's which I can slide into and want a 2.0 engine next time.

• I just purchased a 2011 Honda Civic with 23,000 miles on it. I am probably going to purchase a 5 year/100,0000 mile Honda Care extended warranty from one of the dealerships recommended on this forum. My question is should I get it now or wait until closer to the end of the original 3 year/36,000 mile warranty? Since the clock on the 5 years starts ticking when I buy the warranty it seems like I should wait. Will the price go up as I get closer to 36,000 miles?
  • jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    As I recall, the pricing doesn't stay the same the more miles that you get on the car. And I think the choices decrease as you get more miles as well. For example, they might not offer a 5 year, 100,000 for a 35,000 mile car anymore. It might just be a 5yr/60K or 5yr/75K.

What you should do is get a quote on a vehicle at let's say 23K, 28K, and 34K miles and compare the quotes and what is offered. Then it should make your decision easier.