Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• gardinerrgardinerr Posts: 39
    They are covered bumper to bumper. It will run 7 years from in-service date and up to 100k on odometer. If they are happy then it is a good price.
  • jatanjatan Posts: 92
    Honda Care Sentinel is a maintenance plan and as mentioned above you can't buy it on cars with more than 6 month/6k miles

That 2010 Accord is most likely Honda Certified -- certified used cars come with 7 yr/100k mi powertrain so they bought a $0 deductible 7 yr/100k mi bumper to bumper warranty with the $1500 (warranty starts from the car's in-service date which is when the first owner bought the car)

Certified car benefits: http://automobiles.honda.com/certified-used/program-benefits.aspx
    Page 7, code H70 extended warranty: http://hyannishondacare.com/images/2012%20Rate%20Guide.pdf

If its a 2010 then the car is probably 3-4 yrs old alrdy so theres probably only 3-4 yrs left on the warranty. If they want a piece of mind then keep it for $1500 (comes out to $400-500/yr). If they're fine with just having a powertrain warranty which is included for certified cars then cancel the B2B warranty and get their money back

If it were me, I would just stick with the certified powertrain warranty that comes with the car and keep the $1500 aside for repairs as they come up. Engine/trans will be covered by powertrain so if a major repair comes up then it'll most likely be a few hundred bucks. I have lots of independent shops near me so I don't go to the dealer for repairs unless its for warranty work and I don't pay dealer prices. If the dealer is your only repair option or if indep shops are priced similar to dealers then you might want to keep it

2010-2012 Accord seems fairly reliable compared to 08-09 Accords: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/

Double check to see if the car is certified and then decide if its worth it
  • karhill1karhill1 Posts: 108
    No extended service plan covers a vehicle bumper to bumper. It is the small print that hides the gremlins.
  • g3k762mmg3k762mm Posts: 4
    Thanks for the responses. The other question I have is when the orinal contact went into effect. It states on the warranty current odometer, VSC retail date (testerday) and vehicle original retail date listed 1.4.10 My mother-in-law said she was "told" that the car was bought in May. I suspect the warranty only runs from the date listed as 1.4.10, making the expiration of the 7 year, 100K warranty January 4, 2017. Is that correct or am I wrong?

Additionally, does this H70 warranty cover stuff like battery, starter, alternator, computer etc or are any of them considered "normal wear and tear". They have little in writing outside the warranty paper, which is quite vague.

The dealer offered 3 "free" oil changes to bridge a little financial gap between what they wanted to pay and what the dealer wanted. Is it worth it to go to a dealer for an oil change? I understand you would spend a lot of time hanging around waiting along with all the other cars being serviced. Does it take longer to have the oil changed at a dealer, in general?

One last, does any warranty repairs have to be done at that specific Honda dealership, or can they go to ANY local Honda dealership? The dealer they bought from is not the closest.
  • jatanjatan Posts: 92
    That should be the start date -- call or drop by any Honda dealer service dept and tell them "I just bought a used Accord with warranty, can you run my VIN and tell me when the warranty expires?"

The 3 free oil chances will have to be done at that dealer -- warranty repairs can be done at any dealership
  • kenkenkenken Posts: 21
    I would find out from the dealer exactly what the warranty covers and does not cover. Then I would contact Hyannis Honda (Google) as they seem to have the best price on HondaCare Warranties. That said, the mileage of any warranty ends at the mileage stated (it is not, for example, 100K from the mileage already on the car) and the time period begins at the original in-service date if the first owner!
  • I found Hyannis Honda online here at this discussion. I went to the dealer I ended up buying the car from and presented the price I got from Hyannis for the 0 ded 6 yr 120k warranty which was $1050. He looked up what Honda was charging him and I think it was $1020. So he passed on matching the deal. I guess $30 wasn't worth filling out the paperwork to him.

So I went through Bob Leab at Hyannis, and within a couple of emails got it worked out and paid for. It may be worth many peoples' wallet to use the price list as a way to negotiate with their dealer to get it lower and put in their loan, but if they don't get a good enough price Bob was awesome to deal with.

Daniel
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    edited August 2013
    Good job! Good price - its unfortunate that many folks pay way more for hondacare than they need to because they didn't do a little research.

Bill G
  • ltlladyltllady Posts: 27
    Does make a person question why people are so willing to pay $2,000 or so for a service contract which should cost $1,020? Also wonder why people so quickly pay a dealer $300 or more for documentation when it costs the dealer a few dollar at most. PT Barnum was so right.
  • Oh crap! Help? Newbie.
    My son bought a used car yesterday from Honda (2004, 113K) - and they sold him a Caregard Warranty - Deluxe, with a $100 deductible with surcharge for seals/gaskets. And gave him no documentation on this (and passed off as HondaCare... Of course) - and paid too much (and financed it - ouch)

I know from a quick read - this was a bad idea - but 1) what are the specifics of this warranty? and 2) best way to get him to drop this ASAP (can be stubborn)?
  • jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    Immediately return to the dealership with your son and ask for a copy of the Terms and Conditions for the warranty. Once you have that, take it home and read it over. If you don't think the terms are acceptable, usually it will state you have a brief period to cancel, and usually the cancellation must be done at the dealership. Just return with your son and cancel if you want. But you need to get the terms first.
  • We just purchased a 2014 Odyssey, and during the insurance pitch we told him we had a paper from a dealer who had a different price on the warranty. He immediately said, "Let me guess, the place in MA?" And then proceeded to tell us that that place was not legit. I'm guessing it was a sales pitch of course, but wanted to check to see if anyone here actually used the warranty bought from Saccucci, Bernardi, or Hyannis. My dealer wanted $2200 for the extended warranty 8yr/ 120k, so we said no! LOL

Thanks for any info you may have!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,368
    Those are all legit places... they sell true Honda Care extended warranties.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    "I'm guessing it was a sales pitch of course, but wanted to check to see if anyone here actually used the warranty bought from Saccucci, Bernardi, or Hyannis. "

I have. And you receive the warranty from the same Honda corporate office that you would if you bought it from the local dealer.
  • Thank you all for your help! I went through Bob Leab at Hyannis and got it done today with a few simple emails and a phone call. We are now covered, at $900 less than my dealer wanted! Thank you for your help and advice!
  • It seems that the dealers listed to sell Honda Care at a great price do not sell in Florida. Does anyone have a good Honda Dealer to buy Honda Care Warranty at a good price?
  • ken117ken117 Posts: 195
    So nice to read about some of us dumb buyers who beat the F&I expert.

Perhaps if those F&I experts would offer their so-called products at realistic prices they would sell more and their customers would be happier.

It would be helpful if you identified the dealership where the F&I person lied to you about the MA Honda dealers which sell the Honda service contract at reasonable prices.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896
    I don't think you can buy a warranty in Florida unless it's from a Florida dealership. It's considered insurance by the state, and regulations pertaining to insurance sales apply to extended vehicle warranties.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jwm40517jwm40517 Posts: 57
    edited September 2013
    Look at post #3706 in this forum. If true, it says that as of about two years ago extended warranties are no longer regulated by the Office of Insurance Regulations in Florida. Says that each agreement must have a written statement that the rate charged is not regulated by the OIR.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896
    Could very well be true. May just be something that out-of-state dealerships don't want to hassle with. The easiest way to find out would be to call and out-of-state dealership and ask.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jlm072174jlm072174 Posts: 8
    edited September 2013
    Hi, I am new here and probably like others, came here looking for info about the validity, value & pricing on extended warranties. I bought my '14 Accord last night. In earlier discussions w/the salesman, the "wrap around" (i.e. bumper to bumper) warranty was $2k. I initially dismissed the idea of buying it. At the purchase table, the "closer" said he would give it to me "at cost" of $1561. It is a lifetime warranty through CNA with no deductible. The vehicle also has a lifetime power train warranty already in place.

In most areas of my life, I am a big believer in insurance where it makes sense. With the computers & electronics on this model (compared to my last vehicle), I am a little worried about down-the-road issues with these things and getting a large bill to fix them. Then I remember why I bought a Honda to begin with - reliability & longevity. I plan to keep this vehicle for a long term (e.g. At least 10 years ... I am a buy & hold kind of person). That said, I am buying this car because I had my eighth car accident three weeks ago (none have ever been my fault). This last one totaled my Infinity (the others did not result in total loss). My point here is - while I plan to keep the car, I clearly have bad luck on the road, and don't want to invest a lot of cash into a warranty that may not even have a chance to go in effect.

If the cost were lower, I might jump on it. The "closer"said he would give me till today to think about it, as I told him I hadn't been provided any info to review and couldn't make that decision on the fly without knowing what I was buying. (probably BS on his part that I have to buy it upon sale of the car but whatever).

My questions for this group are: 1) is this a reasonable price for this warranty; 2) how reputable is CNA for these warranties; and 3) anyone report or aware of issues with the big ticket, non powertrain computers, touch screens, etc. in these newer Accords that might make this a reasonable purchase? I would pay cash for it vs finance it. I am not overly well versed in auto warranties ... Just a single mom trying to drive a safe & reliable car that I am hopeful will last for many years. I don't drive much though (<5k miles a year) as I work from home a lot, and my office is only 4 miles from home.

Appreciate any & all feedback. Going to do some googling as well this morning but thought I would take a shot here in hopes I can get some sound advice. I don't have time to read through the entire history of this thread, but will search for obvious terms to see if I can get more info as well. Thanks in advance!
    edited September 2013
    Jim - congratulations on your new accord - i think you will be happy - it is a very low maintenance dependable vehicle. That being said, modern cars have complicated systems that can be expensive to fix. A transmission alone can run you $3500-4000 or more. All that being said, my advice is stay away from a non Honda type warranty. If you decide you want to extend your coverage, read this thread and get quotes from the dealers who sell Hondacare. You will get your best deal from these dealers. You need to purchase hondacare before your car has 6000 miles on it to get the best price. After, that the pricing increases.

Bill G
  • jlm072174jlm072174 Posts: 8
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Bill. Color me an "ignorant girl" here (and I mean that literally; I'm really not the most mechanically inclined! LOL) ... isn't the transmission part of the PowerTrain? If so, the car came with a lifetime powertrain warranty.

~ Jennifer
    Sorry Jennifer - a closer look at your userid shows its not Jim. I believe the accord comes with a 60k mile powertrain warranty. If your dealer warranty is in writing, I would check the terms and conditions very closely to make sure it does not come with strings attached.

Bill
  • This warranty is provide through CNA, is a limited lifetime warranty on powertrain components (engine, transmission/transaxle/transfer case, drive axle and seals & gaskets for all those parts), and the only requirement for me (primarily) is that I maintain the vehicle IAW manufacturers recommendation & save receipts, which isn't a big deal for me because I am very diligent with my vehicles' maintenance. Now granted, there is a lot of "legal-eze" in these documents, but most of it seems straightforward.

I did ask a friend who is a longtime service mechanic w/another dealership his thoughts on CNA warranties, and he said they were pretty good to deal with and usually fair. I also checked the BBB, and they have an A+ rating, and are an accredited member of the BBB. I know that only means as much as the internet page it appears, but at least it sorta 'feels' a little better knowing that.

I'm primarily concerned with the extra warranty (bumper to bumper) coverage and if that is worthwhile. I know Honda doesn't make junk; it's those electronic components (e.g., touchscreen for radio, settings, etc) & motors for things like windows, seats, etc. that can go out and be costly that I feel like it might be worthwhile, but just not sure.
    I guess I am a bit confused - are you saying the dealer is providing a "free" lifetime warranty on the powertrain? I'm not sure how they can do that - if it was that easy, I'd think all Honda dealers could offer it. I don't know much about CNA - I guess they've been around since 1982. I do know if you were quoted $1561 for their coverage, you should be able to do better than that for Hondacare. And Hondacare comes with a number of perks - check with the online dealers listed in this thread for the details. If you do want to go with a warranty, I think you will find Hondacare will be your best bet. Problem is that these cars are pretty dependable so you might not ever use the warranty. But then again, there are times when things break. Let us know what you decide and what kind of deal you get if you decide on a warranty.

Bill
  • Thanks Bill, will do on the extended/b2b warranty.

I'm not sure how to explain the Powertrain warranty. It's a multi-page contract form with the dealership logo on top, CNA noted as the administrator, the issuing dealer name/info, my name as the purchaser, the term (lifetime), the deductible ($0) and the basic car information. The remaining pages outline the warranty, what is included/excluded, and all the other legal-eze. It's something the dealer explained they are the only ones in the area to offer (guess it's a contract/deal with CNA to only let them offer it in this region). And it didn't cost me anything extra (at least nothing noted on my purchase agreement). It's something they offer on all their brand new cars.

Here is a link to the Q&A on the dealer website that maybe will help: http://stevensonhondaofgoldsboro.com/Lifetime-Warranty/
    Jennifer - hondacare will cover the entire drivetrain as well as everything else on the car (with a few exceptions for wear items). So it looks like you'll be double covered if you get hondacare. It amazes me they provided you the powertrain warranty administered by CNA and still tried to charge you 1561 for the other warranty.

You did an outstanding job on your pricing so it's all academic. And it's good you keep good records - you never know when they will come in handy.

Bill
  • ken117ken117 Posts: 195
    First thing, the so-called lifetime warranty is not a warranty. Only the OEM can and does offer a warranty. What they are providing is a service contract.

Second, no one can offer a lifetime powertrain service contract and stay in business. Unless, of course, they have little intention of actually honoring those service contracts. The details are always in the fine print, which is always written to allow the service contract provider a way to avoid paying on most claims. Remember, lawyers always dwell on fine details.

The old saying if it seems to good to be true it is not true certainly applies to these types of products.

The real reason some dealerships tout these so-called lifetime warranties is to entice buyers. Amazingly many people continue to fall for such tactics.

Finally, no one offers a bumper to bumper warranty, not even the OEM. All auto warranties and service contracts are exclusionary. Again the fine print!

Of course, if a person actually believes spending a lot of money on an exclusionary service contracts is a wise way to spend money, it only makes sense to purchase one from the OEM. Third party service contracts are, at best, an expensive crap shoot.

Didn't we all learn about these products from the US Fidelis fiasco?
  • Hi,

We bought a 2014 Odyssey EXL-Nav last week but didn't get the extended warranty as it seemed like the dealer wanted too much for it. How do I go about shopping for the Honda Extended Warranty after the fact? Do I just call Honda dealerships and ask for quotes?