Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    edited February 2010
    denver,
    Might be beneficial to sit in that managers office while he calls HC. So there is no finger pointing between them, and you wondering what is going on.
    Please keep us informed.

Kip
  • fm1381fm1381 Posts: 5
    I live in New York and I just finalized a deal on a Certified Pre-owned 2007 Honda Accord EX-L with Navigation. Since its CPO I get the 1yr/12,000 miles non-power train and 3yr power train, but the dealer also suggested the Honda Care Certified Additional Coverage which is for certified pre-owned cars and apparently MUST be purchased when the used car is purchased. I also checked on Honda’s website and it seems true that for CPO vehicles this additional coverage must be purchased at the time of the vehicle purchase. The dealer said the price is $2300 for 5 years/60,000 miles. I understand that this warranty has zero deductible and that it covers mostly all of the main parts of the car including the navigation system, but it seems pretty pricey compared to the extended warranty offered to owners of NEW vehicles. I was wondering, is this more or less the price range other dealers charge for the additional coverage warranty for certified pre-owned cars?
  • jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    If your vehicle has less than 36,000 miles on it and has been in service for less than 3 years, then you can just go to a site like:

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/

and get a quote on the 5 year, 60K.

If it has more than the 36,000 miles on it, then your only route is probably to get the Certified Additional Coverage.
  • ktdktd Posts: 5
    I thought when you buy a CPO honda that should comes with 7yrs/100K miles warranty. I've looked at used Odyssey and all said Certified and covered 7yrs/100K miles which ever comes first. The dealer may lies to you and want you to spend $2300 more on top what it's already covered. I would call and check around with other dealers to see if that is the case. I would not let the dealer get double pay.
    Well, the way the 7 year 100,000 powertrain warranty works for CPO cars is that the dealer covers you for the difference between 7yr/100,000 and the year of your car and miles (this is what the Honda dealer explained to me). So for example, my 2007 accord with 45,000 miles has 3 years left and 55,000 miles power train coverage. What they did extend was the non power train for 1 year 12,000 miles.
    edited March 2010
    >"The dealer said the price is $2300 for 5 years/60,000 miles. I understand that this warranty has zero deductible and that it covers mostly all of the main parts of the car including the navigation system, but it seems pretty pricey compared to the extended warranty offered to owners of NEW vehicles"

Seems a LOT PRICEY ! :sick:

I don't know why the EW on the CPO vehicle should be any more than on a new one.

Consider this: When a vehicle is purchased new, it is covered by the 36mo/36K mile factory warranty, and longer on the drive train. The EW kicks in when the factory warranty expires. So in reality, that EW covers the car when it is used.

In your case, if factory warranties are transferable, the 5/60 would be covering everything after the 3/36 factory warranty expires. OR actually covering for an additional 2years/24K miles, whichever comes first. Seems to me the dealer is trying to charge you as much as they try to charge a new car purchaser for an 8/100 EW. (We know now that those can be purchased for $1100-$1300).

You would do well to call Honda Care for the official "Rules" concerning their EW warranties on CPO vehicles, Also go the the link in Jet10000's post above and do some checking.

Kip
    In your case, if factory warranties are transferable, the 5/60 would be covering everything after the 3/36 factory warranty expires. OR actually covering for an additional 2years/24K miles,

This may not be fully accurate. Even with standard Honda Care that are sold after the vehicle reaches 6,000 miles, the time and mileage are ADDED on to the vehicle's current time in service and mileage at the time the Honda Care is purchased. I'm assuming that the 5/60 will be added on to the his current vehicle's mileage and time. Especially considering that his factory warranty is already over because his vehicle has 45,000. This service contract should be good until the 105K mark or for five additional years whichever comes first.

It may be a little on the pricey side, but choices are limited once the vehicle has that much mileage on it.
    >"I'm assuming that the 5/60 will be added on to the his current vehicle's mileage and time. Especially considering that his factory warranty is already over because his vehicle has 45,000. This service contract should be good until the 105K mark or for five additional years whichever comes first."

You may be right, but that isn't the way the good folks at Honda Care explained it to me. Maybe I got some Misinformation. :cry:

Still would be a good idea to check with them before making the purpose and ask them what the Honda Care card will have printed on it as to expiration date and mileage limit!

Kip
    edited March 2010
    You may be right, but that isn't the way the good folks at Honda Care explained it to me.

Well if they were explaining to you about a contract for a vehicle that had less than 6,000 miles, then what they said would be correct. The contract works differently after 6,000 miles.

See this from the saccucci website:

When does coverage for service contracts begin?

Coverage for a new auto begins when the vehicle is originally put into service and at zero miles. Coverage for a pre-owned plan(vehicles over 6,000 miles) begins on the service contract purchase date, and at the mileage on the odometer on that date.

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/faq.php

If you do a quote on the same vehicle before and after 6,000 miles, you'll also get too completely different sets of times and durations that are available for purchase.
    Thanks for all the helpful information. What kind of sucks about the EW for CPO Honda vehicles is that the EW must be purchased at the time of the vehicle sale. If you try to purchase it afterwards or from another dealer after you drove your car off the lot Honda will reject the application. It states this on their website and I also called another Honda dealer. I think the price might be higher
    because of my location--everything is more expensive in NY.

"Plans and Eligibility
    Honda Certified Used Cars qualify for Honda Care Certified Additional Coverage, up to 7 years/100,000 miles from the original in-service date.

Honda Care Certified Additional Coverage contracts must be purchased at the time you purchase or lease your used vehicle. Ask your Honda dealer for details."

http://automobiles.honda.com/certified-used/honda-care.aspx
    edited March 2010
    I agree, it sucks!

It appears that we not only have to deal on the car, but also the EW before signing the papers and consummating the deal. .

However, "Honda Care Certified Additional Coverage contracts must be purchased at the time you purchase or lease your used vehicle."

It doesn't say the EW has to be purchased from the same dealer as the vehicle purchase. There may be a loop hole where you can purchase the EW from another dealer before you drive the car off the lot.

Something else that still concerns me is: "up to 7 years/100,000 miles from the original in-service date." I would make sure the card you get will show an expiration date, in your case, of 5 years or 60K miles from the date and miles you purchase the vehicle. Rather than from the original date of the car first being put "in-service" by the former owner. A representative at Honda Care can tell you that!

If you have to deal on the EW, call another dealer and find out their price for the EW on the model car you ar buying, if you were buying the car at their dealership. Then tell your dealer you will pay that price or the whole deal is void. Keep in mind the "Finance Manager" earns his commissions on EWs, Selected accessories, and financing.

Kip
  • ksibleyksibley Posts: 3
    edited March 2010
    We are purchasing a used 07 Pilot, 32k miles, the truck is certified Honda, comes with 1yr/12k bumper to bumber and 100k mile powertrain. They have offered me additonal "wrap around coverage" from Honda Care for an additon 995+ tax that will cover the car bumper to bumper.
    Does this price sound right? Do you think it is negotiable?
  • denver5357denver5357 Posts: 319
    Update ... after the dealer didn't call back as promised, I called three days later and left a message. A week passed and I finally got a return call yesterday. "Your extended warranty info should be in the system at HondaCare in a week or so."

No explanation of why, after buying the Pilot on Dec. 31 and the HC the same day, that it has taken until March 2 to get the info to Honda.

On the other hand, if the HC person was right about the warranty not starting until Honda has dealer info in its system, did I just gain two months on the warranty?
    On the other hand, if the HC person was right about the warranty not starting until Honda has dealer info in its system, did I just gain two months on the warranty?

If your pilot was purchased new, then the warranty begins at the time the vehicle was entered into service. So no, you would not gain two months on the warranty.
  • Your HC warranty will go back to when you bought the car. I shopped around to get the best price on my 2010 Pilot and got the warranty three days after the vehicle purchase. When I rec'd the warranty paperwork, the date purchased was different from the start date of the warranty (which was the vehicle purchase date). If it wasn't, everyone would wait to buy the warranty to "buy" more time.
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Posts: 47
    accordexl, over aggressive is the right word. The finance manger made me looked like a criminal buying 'stolen' goods from another honda dealers in front of my family. He offered me $100 off the 7yr/80 HC for $1,450. I did my homework and got the HC deal from CollegeHills for $775. Called and paid Kara @ CollegeHills couple days after getting the new V. I received the Official HC package last night (2 wks from signing up for HC). Everything is authentic. Everybody should shop around. A few emails and phone calls can save hundreds of dollars for other goodies.

The prices of HC for V @ CollegeHills are:

6yr/80m $725
    7yr/80m $775
    8yr/100m $1,045

Cheers!
    Expect all prices offered at a dealer to be negotiable!

What is the time frame and mileage limits on the "Wrap Around" they offered?

Kip
    "The prices of HC for V CollegeHills are:6yr/80m $725, 7yr/80m $775
    8yr/100m $1,045 "

What is the deductible on these?

Thanks,
    Kip
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Something else that still concerns me is: "up to 7 years/100,000 miles from the original in-service date." I would make sure the card you get will show an expiration date, in your case, of 5 years or 60K miles from the date and miles you purchase the vehicle. Rather than from the original date of the car first being put "in-service" by the former owner. A representative at Honda Care can tell you that!

My guess is th "original in-service date" is the first owner not when he purchased it. He is automatically covered by a 1 yr/12k mile warranty because it is a CPO which takes him to 57k miles. Basically he will be covered for only 3k miles.