Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• Options
    accordorcivicaccordorcivic Member Posts: 6
    The Finance Manager at Brilliance Honda in Crystal Lake Il said he would match Saccucci. Planto take him up after 5000 miles..........
  • Options
    tmcgilvraytmcgilvray Member Posts: 5
    I would also check out www.hondawarrantyinfo.com.Much cheaper than Saccucci.
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I 2nd that. I have not found anyone cheaper than Bernardi on a new HC warranty. The F&I guy where my daughter purchased her Civic last month just looked at the Bernardi prices and shook his head - never tried to match or beat the price (which I was told was $1 over cost).

Dennis
  • Options
    shallwechatshallwechat Member Posts: 20
    bernardi quoted me $1400 and saccuci (?) was $1285. that is a big different. i have pilot with 7800 miles.
  • Options
    aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    For a Honda (I've purchased 5 new) my preference is to just say 'no' to any extended warranty offers. From what I see here people are paying $300-$500 per year, 3 years in advance, for years 4-8 of ownership. Maybe it's because I drive my car with tender loving care and maintain it regularly? maybe it's because I don't usually own past 5 years? Maybe it's the sleezy fear based sales tactics they use?

- I've been told just after buying a new car, that I'd be the 1% that declines to purchase this option, or how expensive it is to replace a tranny......they do this while your check book is still in hand after placing your down payment.

If you do buy one - better do your homework. Prices and the fine print seem to vary quite a bit.

BTW: if you wonder what the value of having 24/7 road side assistance is; AAA charges it's members $40 per year for this service - nice to have, but doesn't cost much.
  • Options
    fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    Thank you for posting because I am still in the process of determining whether I should purchase the extended waranty or not.
  • Options
    Depending on the model, the cost is a lot less per year than you quote (when purchased at a discount HC dealer). For a new Civic, for example, it is $876 for the most coverage you can get (8yrs, 120k miles, $0 deductible), $926 for the same coverage on an I4 Accord.

The plan is refunded pro-rated should you decide to cancel it - so if you trade or your cost is "totaled" or stolen you get back a refund based on the miles or months used (whichever is greater). The plan can be transferred to the new owner for a $50 fee should you sell or give away your car.

So the worth partly depends on luck and partly on how long you keep your cars and what you do with them when you are done.

If you sell your used cars yourself to maximize ROI then you should be buying the longest HC plan for them. It would make a SUPER marketing tool when you sell your (normally) out of warranty car against all the others of the same age - when yours has a $0 deductible HC plan on it that the other cars can NO LONGER BUY. It is like selling your own CPO car - so you should be able to command more money for your car at retail.

If you trade cars and let the dealer give you some low number for it, then while you do get some money back from HC it may not be worth it to you. Still, if you paid $876 for a Civic warranty and used it 5/8 of the miles or years then you get back 3/8 of what you paid (less a $25 ? termination fee) so your cost for the coverage you used would be $547.50 (less the fee). Maybe more likely to have had a claim or claims more than that amount than the full price?

Of course, some folks forget to file a claim for refund or do not realize you can. Those people really tossed their money away. BTW, the HC plan has to be in the current owners name. So if you buy a used car with a non-cancelled plan on it and do not pay the $50 transfer fee it does you no good. HC reps have told me in the past they have seen cars in the computer with 2 or more HC plans on them at the same time :D

The F&I office is likely the worst time and place to buy a warranty, which is why we have the forum here and give links to places where you can buy at a discount. When compared to the normally 2x or 3x markup the dealers try to charge the discount plans with the same coverage sure seem more reasonable.

Dennis
  • Options
    The best time to buy is with less than 6k on the car. The current Bernardi prices for a Pilot with under 6k:

7 years/80,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $646.00) OR ($0 deductible = $746.00)
    7 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $951.00) OR ($0 deductible = $1,051.00)
    7 years/120,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $1,051.00) OR ($0 deductible = $1,151.00)
    8 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $1,031.00) OR ($0 deductible = $1,131.00)
    8 years/120,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $1,131.00) OR ($0 deductible = $1,231.00)

After you get more than 6k you have to get a quote over the phone and I have no idea how those vary. The under 6k prices are supposed to be $1 over cost and I have not seen a better price on them - yet.

Note that I have never been asked to certify the mileage on any car before purchasing a warranty. So unless you have had service on your Pilot (or purchased it used) with more than 6k then they don't know how many miles are on it until you tell them.

Dennis
  • Options
    tmcgilvraytmcgilvray Member Posts: 5
    I calle d Bernardi Honda @ 06 or 07 Pilot with 7800 miles
    and the price was $1231 ? Not $1400 !
    link title
  • Options
    shallwechatshallwechat Member Posts: 20
    well, it must be like buying a car...you get 10 different answers from 10 different people on the same vehicle. bernrdi did quote me the $1400...so i guess you would get the better deal and i will shop elsewhere. ;)
  • Options
    I have received quotes from Honda Care, but I am still unclear as to what is it that they cover. I looked on the website, but I did not find any information regarding the coverage. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • Options
    gardinerrgardinerr Member Posts: 39
    Saccucci(MyHondaWarranty.com) has a coupon for $55 off any warranty.

It is coupon code "edmunds55".
  • Options
    I googled up HondaCare what is covered and found lots of links, like these:

This one

this one too

The Honda web page

this one too too

this PDF file

well, you get the idea.

The actual details that will apply to YOU will be in the contract YOU get (though they should be the same as the samples). Since you can cancel within 60 days for a 100% refund then you have lots of time to read it over and cancel if the contract you get does not suit you.

Dennis
  • Options
    Those are very helpful information. Thank you very much Dennis!
  • Options
    papahondapapahonda Member Posts: 17
    actually dennis your thinking is flawed - you are omitting the fact that some people will run full term and not use their service contracts - after all it is a HONDA - $144 is a fairly small amt to spend to guarantee a full refund at the end of term - i mean why purchase an 8yr/120k policy if you plan on keeping the vehicle only 4-5 yrs - better off buying less coverage - imho - the guarantee provision is PERFECT for a fellow honda customer - gives you peace of mind of factory-backed coverage along with an opportunity to recoup the FULL purchase price at end of term. i'm glad i pd $144 more - to me, its worth it

ph
  • Options
    Like anything else it is a gamble - and most folks for one reason or another (wreck, theft, changing income or need, etc) will not see the end of the contract. And I was pointing out that the ONLY way to get the refund is to keep it the whole term AND never use it. And that is likely to represent only a fraction of the buyers. If you have to have your car in for service, you get a free rental car - no wait, WE get a free rental car YOU don't since you are saving it for the full refund :D . Ditto for having to have a claim, you may think "I will pay for this one so I can get my full refund" while everyone else will get it fixed for free.

If you pay less now, you can still get your pro rated refund if you don't keep the car the full term. And of course, you should more than recoup your investment if you sell the used car with the transferable warranty since other cars can't get HondaCare at that point.

So if you are happy, then I am happy for you. Hopefully no one will here will need the HC warranty no matter what they paid. I just stated the pros and cons of this "miracle refund" and still think that paying less makes more sense for most folks - but that is for them to decide for themselves.

Dennis
  • Options
    babbittdbabbittd Member Posts: 25
    Keeping AL plates also means you'd be breaking other FL 'domicile' laws like those that require you title a vehicle in FL if you reside here, are employed in FL, hold a FL drivers license, yadda-yadda.

Just because this dealer does this all the time doesn't make it right or even legal. As said so many times before, "Let your conscience be your guide."

I'm not a Florida resident, but I'm curious, what is the penalty if they catch a resident doing this?

I'm surprised to learn that this is a law in Florida. My native Massachusetts? That's a different story.

- Dan
  • Options
    Seriously man, you are the king of Honda car buying advsiors and I'm a first time new car buyer that appreciates it more than you know.

Thanks again.

- Dan
  • Options
    pay $144 to recoup around $1000 ? how bout some math -

14% addtl if warranty is $1000 - use it lose it - you are out $144 - let's say 70% of people fall into this category -ev = $100.80 (7 out of 10 will pay $144 addtl)

30% will actually go full term -

ev = $300 - (3 out of 10 will receive full refund)

hmmm - even if shift the % down to 20 % the e.v. is higher with refund - ($115 vs. $200)

break even would be 13% - (87 % would pay $144 addtl w/o refund = $125 vs 13 % that would receive $1000 = $130)

i think more than 13 % of all honda care service conts run full term.
  • Options
    You can buy a powerball lottery ticket for $1. It MAY pay off for you just as well.

As I said: you have to pay more then NOT use it AND keep it full term or you just wasted your money. This includes not using it when you COULD get a benefit from it.

I have put forth the reasons I think this is a bad idea, just give it a rest and let folks decide if they want to take this gamble or not.

Dennis
  • Options
    geez
    they even sell you a warranty that if you don't use your warranty they will give you your money back?

I wonder what the commission is on that?

it's rediculous how they think of ways to hold onto your hard earned cash.

As for it helping the re-sale value of your used vehicle - it's like everthing else in the car - it depreciates. No one will pay you face value for it so it will only make your car priced higher.
  • Options
    Once your Honda is out of warranty, then you can't buy the HC warranty for it.

So if you are selling your Honda with no warranty and I am selling mine with the remains of a 120k/8yr/$0 deductible warranty on it which should be easier to sell and get more money? Adding it to your car is not an option at this point for you or whoever buys your car.

Now, most folks seem like they trade cars to avoid the hassles of selling them (often because they do not hold the title). To a dealer or a traded car the HC warranty has no value, but the original owner can cash it out for a pro-rated refund.

So folks need to decide if they want an extended warranty or not. If they do, then the HC makes the most sense - as does getting it from a discount dealer. Paying even more for a refund "Warranty" on the warranty is an option as well. It all depends on how long you plan on keeping the car, how many miles, what you are going to do with the car when you are done, etc. Of course you may PLAN on one thing then do another :D

Dennis
  • Options
    johnddentjohnddent Member Posts: 13
    papahonda may be gambling, but his analysis of expected value integrates what the gamble is worth. If it is an 87% chance that you will benefit from the gamble, then the extra $114 seems worth it to me.

Thanks papa for the breakdown.

John
  • Options
    no prob - just a different perspective .... not saying i'm right or that dennis is wrong - everyone needs to choose for themselves ......

p.h.
  • Options
    sandiego22sandiego22 Member Posts: 3
    I have been reading this forum for a while before and after the purchase of my new Odyssey... Can anyone answer these questions for me?

1/ Has anyone purchased the Bernardi warranty (hondacare) online (or via their phone number)?

2/ I will read the documentation, but I assume the warranty they sell is the same as any other "HondaCare" warranty that a dealership would sell?

3/ Can I use this warranty at my local dealership (I assume "yes", but has anyone done this? Does it reside in some computer database that all delearships can access?)

4/ No tax on the purchase of a warranty right?

5/ If I buy the 8yr/120K mile warranty when the van has 5k miles on it, is it good until 125K miles (or when the van hits 120K)?

Thanks,
    Michelle
  • Options
    1) Yes one for my S2000, one for my wife's Accord, and my daughter purchased one for her Civic. Prior to Bernardi I had purchased from other HondaCare/Honda dealers "online" or on the phone. All with no problems.

2) Yes - it is the genuine HC warranty at a cheaper prices

3) Yes, they tie this to your name and the VIN of your Oddy. So you go to any Honda dealership and they can see the terms of your warranty in their system and will honor it if you are covered and collect the deductible should you not choose the $0 deductible plan.

4) Not for me and I would assume if you are not in the state of the dealership (MA) that there would be no tax. Note that it is against the law for FL residents to purchase a warranty from an out of state dealer (stupid FL law).

5) It runs out when your Oddy hits 8yrs from the day you or the original owner purchased it (the in-service date) or when the odo hits 120,000 miles - or whatever term you decide on. Note that the pro-rate for the refund is also based on miles and months since in-service and NOT from the date and miles on the van when you purchase the plan.

Dennis
  • Options
    sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    1/ Has anyone purchased the Bernardi warranty (hondacare) online (or via their phone number)?
    I did last year over the phone. The app is on their page, need to fax/send it to one of the two guys listed;

2/ I will read the documentation, but I assume the warranty they sell is the same as any other "HondaCare" warranty that a dealership would sell?
    It is, just about 50% cheaper The Bernardi guys will mail you the receipt within a fe days; you'll receive the original contract with stickers and stuff in a few weeks from AHF (American Honda Financial.. IIRC);

3/ Can I use this warranty at my local dealership (I assume "yes", but has anyone done this? Does it reside in some computer database that all dealerships can access?)
    If it is a Honda Dealership - definitely; Nor sure about the database;

4/ No tax on the purchase of a warranty right?
    Nope. Unless u live in MA and they have a provision for that;

5/ If I buy the 8yr/120K mile warranty when the van has 5k miles on it, is it good until 125K miles (or when the van hits 120K)?
    Until you hit 120K.
  • Options
    sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Ah, thought that might happen - second time this week some one beats me to it. :)
    My hat off for your patience and detailed explanations, Dennis!
  • Options
    kris995kris995 Member Posts: 23
    To those who've had extended warranties before.... Do you do your car maintenance with the dealer or take it somewhere else? There's a local auto shop that specializes in Hondas that I take my older cars to and have been using for years. It would be cheaper to keep my car maintained there rather than at the dealer. However, I think I'm going to buy the extended warranty through Berarndi once my new car has a couple thousand miles on it. Will I have trouble getting my car serviced at a dealer if I've done all the maintenance work somewhere else? Anybody experienced this?
  • Options
    If you are just following the maint. log that Honda provides (not what a Honda service center tries to sell you), then you can have your fluids changed anywhere that's convienent. Just hang onto your reciepts to show you took care of things.

Today's Honda pretty much just needs fluid replacements for the first 90k miles not including the tires, brakes and wiper blades.

If time is precious to you, then you'll go to something like Jiffy Lube to get it done on the run.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Please don't subject your car...or any car for that matter to Jiffy Lube!!! Had a horrible experience with them years ago and am quite vocal when I hear of people wanting to use them. Most dealers have express lubes now or find a good mechanic with some knowledge of the brand of car you drive. Don't learn the hard way like I did!!!!

The Sandman :mad:
  • Options
    Sorry you had a problem, but that could have happened anywhere - including the dealership. Do you really think the dealer has their "top notch factory trained techs" doing the oil changes? Not usually.

Last time I had my S2000 in the Honda dealership handed it back to be with oil all over the steering wheel, shifter, arm rest, and center console. I had to have the clean it off before I could drive back to work.

I don't use "Jiffy" but I have had oil changes done many times at Valvoline Instant Oil change. I usually bring OEM filters and crush washers with me - and used to bring my own oil when I ran M1. I get out of the car and watch the whole process to be sure it goes as right as I can make it without getting under the car myself.

The dealer takes it "in the back" and who knows that they do or do not do to it and at what cost. Once when I checked the oil in my SVT after a dealership change I could not find the dip stick - yep, they left it out - and got a nice ("we didn't do that") do door ding in my car as a bonus.

So I say YMMV with ANYONE who touches your car for any reason. *I* would rather pay someone to do it while I watch than to pay someone to do or not do whatever (including "road testing" my car) while I can't see them - and have to wait longer.

Dennis
  • Options
    rekhrekh Member Posts: 47
    Hi everybody, can anybody let me know if we need to do all the services ( for example every 7500 miles or 10000 miles) regularly to keep the extended warranty valid or just changing the oil (engine and transmission) and filters is enough?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    just to be safe, and to avoid any room for denial of repairs, you should at least follow what is in your owner's manual (NOT the dealerships suggested schedule).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    and keep your records in case you need proof that you took care of your hot-rod.
  • Options
    Exactly! Look in the Honda materials and find the normal service schedule and follow it (unless you fall under the rough service guidelines). You do not have to have any of the work done at a Honda dealer - you can pay a mechanic to do it or do it yourself. Just save receipts for the stuff in any case.

A nice "profit center" for the dealer can be a service schedule they make up themselves. A friend was taking his Toyota in base on one of those and I looked it over and it was a rip off - just designed to make extra money for the dealership. The 15k service was over $300 IIRC and included stuff like rotate and balance tires, injector cleaner, throttle body cleaner, etc.

Dennis
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    darn. I should have saved the service schedule my honda dealer handed me last time i was there. RIDICULOUS! And a guy here at work goes to the same dealer and follows that schedule! ouch! (what you say sounds about right, though, it was I believe $59 every 3750 miles, $99 every 7k, and $299 every 15k. forget about the big ones like 30k, i think i'd need a 2nd mortgage.)

anyway ... i'm venturing off topic. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I called Honda Care, I was told per extended warranty contract you do not have to do all the services regularly -according to dealers - to keep it valid BUT if something happens and the dealer's service department claims that the problem might be due to lack of proper maintenance then we may ask you to show your documents to prove you have done enough towards normal care of the car, for example if there is a problem with the brake system and the mechanic says it is due to brake fluid contamination which you should have changed one year earlier then you are asked to provide documents or else it wouldn't cover by extended warranty. SO I decided not to do all the services. Probably every 30000miles I will do what I think is necessary supposing I hadn't had an extended warrant. May be it looks like a kind of gambling but buying an extended warranty is also a gambling, isn't it?
  • Options
    so you had a problem at a Jiffy Lube

I suppose you've never had a problem with dealer service?

Jiffy Lube, Quick Change, the Chinese guy at the Shell station - I pull in where there's no wait and yes I make sure they use the proper weight oil.

There's no such thing as a "quick" oil change at a dealer where I live. That whole schpeal about using "authorized Honda parts" for an oil change? c'mon
  • Options
    I have only used Honda for warranty work. I might ask them to change the oil if by chance it's due during the warranty work.

Now that they have my number in their system, I get a monthly call from a salesperson (out of state area code?) who wants to book an appointment for me. I'm sure this person gets a closing fee if they book me for some expensive maintenence program.

I've seen the mailers from my local Honda Dealer which includes coupons for "maintenence tuneups". Once I called to see what was included for $300-$400 and there were all these items that the owners manual didn't even call out for. e.g. new spark plugs at 50k miles :confuse:

I wonder how many people drop their cars off not knowing what their car really needs. Only to pay way more than they have to.
  • Options
    I'm insuring a 2007 Honda Accord Coupe through Geico and becuase it's a new car I'm eligble to buy their "mechanical breakdown coverage" for $70 a year.

- 7 years / 100k miles

- bumper to bumper for mech breakdown, not including oil changes, tire rotation, etc.

$250 deductible

all installed original eqiupment covered, including navi

$50 glass deductible

I'm planning on keeping the car for a while and than trading it in. Should I get the HondaCare EW on top of this coverage?
  • Options
    I had a the "Check Fuel Cab" display on my LCD underneath the speedometer yesterday and it has been on since. I check the fuel cab and tighten several times, but the display did not go away. I read the Odyssey manual which states that it should go away within a couple of days, if it does not, then take it to your local dealership. I thought that was strange because something this simple should be a quick fix once the cab has been tighten. I have an '07 Honda Odyssey EX-L(Nav&Res). Has anyone run into this problem? If so, how did you resolved it? I am little concern. :( Thank you.
  • Options
    I assume you mean "cap" and not "cab" ?

It is the OBDII system warning. You are lucky that Honda has the LCD and interprets the code for you. On most cars if you have the gas cap off or not on fully you will get a "check engine light" and have to take it someplace and hook it up to a code reader to see what the problem is. The gas code cap is usually P0455 (Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected - no purge flow or large leak). When my daughter did not fit hit cap properly on her old Ford she got the light and worried something was wrong until she could come by and let me read the code with a code reader. Once we saw the code we fixed the cap and cleared the code.

In the OBDII computer this code is not cleared until xx starts or xxxx usage without a repeat of the problem - so it is not something you can fix the cap and hit a button on the car.

That said, if you go someplace with a code reader or know someone that has one they can confirm the code and perhaps clear it and make the light/indicator go out now. Most auto parts places like AutoZone, Advance, etc have readers you can borrow for free or they will hook them up for you. Some will clear the codes for you if you ask. Otherwise just drive and the light should go out soon.

I do think it is cool that they trapped this - the dealers must be tickled that they did. You can imagine how many times dealers have/had to deal with loose or missing caps because folks brought in a car with a check engine light that will not go out.

Dennis
  • Options
    mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    A Ford turned left in front of me the other day. His gas cap was dangling by it's tether. I thought, bet his SES light comes on pretty soon!
    We get them in here fairly often at the ole Chevy dealer. The customer always looks at me like 'Are you nuts? SES on for a stinking loose gas cap'?
    Yes'm, here's your key. Have a nice day!
  • Options
    Thank you for your informative response and sorry about the typo. :)
  • Options
    sandiego22sandiego22 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to both of you (Dennis & Sky23213) for responding so quickly and so thoroughly. I feel much better going online now to purchase my warranty. -Michelle
  • Options
    steelblusteelblu Member Posts: 2
    I just want to thank this blog for saving me a lot of money. I just bought a 2007 Pilot and was asked by the finance guy about the extended warranty. I ask for a price and he came back with $1300. for 5yrs 80,000 miles. I called Birnardi Honda and got a 6yrs 100,000 mile warranty for $861."Let the buyer beware" Thank You. I Love the car and now I love the extended warranty.
  • Options
    chrispinachrispina Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Odyssey with 45k miles. I bought it new in May of last year. My plan was to wait until near the end of the factory warranty and then buy a Honda Care warranty online. It occurred to me last week that I completely forgot about it and now it appears to be too late.

I know that there is a lot of debate about whether a warranty is a good buy, particularly on a higher-mileage vehicle, but I'm superstitious and I know that the surest way to make sure my van never breaks down is to get an extended warranty now. ;)

I've seen mention of CNA as being one of the more reputable 3rd party products, but their website doesn't have a price quote or any information for consumers, really. I called the dealership where I normally have it serviced and the service manager said that they commonly work with Service Guard and Western National. The finance guys are taking forever to return my call, so I wanted to see if you guys had any advice for me.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi, what I know is:
    1)With GEICO you not only have to pay $250 for each repair but also for each system. Let's say you have a problem with your brake and your transmission at the same time, in this case you should pay $ 2X250= 500 deductible. This is correct if two unrelated parts of even one system ( eg; in engine) have broken down.(Please call them and ask for more info)
    2)Now you can calculate, let's say you will use it just once; $7x70=490+250=740 , you can check the price of Honda extended Warranty in different web sites such as
    Bernardi and compare.
    3)Most dealers are more happy to work with companies which they know better, and the best for Honda is Honda backed warranty, so you get better service
    4) Geico do not write insurance in some states(such as MA), if you moved you can not buy Geico any more and you probably would lose what you have paid till then
    5)if by any chance you decided to sell your car sooner you can get a part of your money back from Honda EW (Per millage and time) or transfer it to the buyer, this adds a value to your car . With Geico you do not have this privelage.
    That's all I know , may be incorrect or incomplete, please search more, good luck
  • Options
    pgrunnerpgrunner Member Posts: 25
    I just bought the Accord LX '07 and the dealer offered the 7yr/80K warranty for 1368! Thanks to a referral from Edmund, I got a quote for $625 for the same HondaCare warranty.

I did notice that the quote is the same whether it was for a new car or for one with 6000 miles. Is it better to wait and buy the extended warranty later rather than now?