Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• Options
    stevehechtstevehecht Member Posts: 96
    Nevermind, I just did a search for "oil changes" and #1277 answered pretty well. I think I'll call HondaCare myself and try to get a clearer picture.
  • Options
    stevehechtstevehecht Member Posts: 96
    I just learned this today, and thought I would pass it on. After 6000 miles the rates start going up since it is not considered "new" anymore.
  • Options
    ag2006ag2006 Member Posts: 2
    Folks on the forum,

Ten days back I bought a 2007 Odyssey (in CA state) and fell for HC warranty offered by dealer.

Now I do know that I have 60 days to get full refund.
    My question is - is it easy to cancel the current HC warranty coverage (I haven't even received HC warranty package yet) and instead buy it from other good warranty sources discussed on this forum ?

Is it possible to do so ? From what I have read on this forum, even though I am based in CA, I can buy HC from online sources mentioned on the forum. Is my understanding right ?

Please respond

Thanks

AGC
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    Before worrying about all of that, why not just print out the prices you see online and go back to your dealer to ask for a pricematch? Let them know that you will be cancelling if they won't give you a similar price you can get elsewhere. If it were me, I'd take it from that dealer even if it was within $100 just so I didn't have to go through all the hassle and paperwork of cancelling and rebuying elsewhere.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ag2006ag2006 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestion qbrozen. I will certainly try this option.

Coming back to questions I posed, is it possible to do all that ?

Another additional question - 8 years quotes - these begun from date car/van was purchased or form the date warranty was purchased ?

Thanks again

AG
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Yes, you can cancel within 60 days for a full refund as long as:

You purchased a real HC warranty (some others may have different rules).

You have not used the warranty (like for a rental car, etc).

You didn't finance the warranty. If you did, the refund goes back to the bank and THEY decide what to do with the money. They could apply it do the amount of the loan up front and reduce your monthly payment or they could keep your payment the same but you make fewer payments (this is the normal way, I have heard). If you paid cash or CC from the HC, then you get the refund direct.

Unless you live in FL, you can purchase HC from any Honda dealer anywhere for any price. FL residents have to purchase (for full price, which may be LESS than what you paid at your dealer) from a FL dealer.

The warranty expires x years or xxx,xxx miles from the delivery date of your new Honda. It is NOT x years from the date you buy it. You have to purchased within the first few months and before you hit 6k miles or the price goes up and the options go down.

A lot of dealers will say "you can only buy one HC per car, and if you cancel this one you can't get another" - this is BS. You can cancel and buy another for less.

Dennis
  • Options
    A good question is why you didn't prepare for the warranty purchase by researching the prices before you went to buy the Honda? You checked prices on the van, right? You found invoice price, incentives, what others are paying, asked in the Ody price paid forum? You should do all that to be sure you got a good price on the Honda - then also check HC prices to know what is a good deal and what is not - then don't sign up for a rip-off price.

BTW, when my daughter purchased her new Civic we showed the F&I guy the online prices and he had no interest in matching or even getting close to the price (said to be $1 over cost). So I would be really shocked if you took a Bernardi or Saccucci price in and was able to get them to match it.

Dennis
  • Options
    sunshine529sunshine529 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought my Odyssey today and the finance guy tried to scare me into buying the dealer's warranty. Then I asked him if he I can just buy a honda care warranty (because I browsed this forum before I went there). He told me that Honda Care is bankrupt because they never pay out their claims. But then I remembered seeing the honda care rates at one of the website. Was this guy just lying to me? He was telling me that the sliding doors on the honda would cost like 2 K to fix if I gets broken because of all the electronics in it. He was trying to sell the 7 yr/10000mi policy to me for 2400, then I said no, and he offered $1650. I still said no.
  • Options
    It is news to Honda, they still show HondaCare on their web page

No problems as far as I know. For $2,200 you could hang on to your money and pay to have the door fixed when/if it ever fails :D

From a discount HC dealer, 8 years 100k miles $0 deductible would be about $1,130 and 8/120k/$0 would be about $1,230. The price is high - due to all the electronic do-dads on the Ody, I guess.

The finance person will always SAY they have your best interest at heart when trying to sell you a service contract, but in general they will sell you the one that has the highest profit margin for the dealer.

Read about what is covered and what is not, then decide if you really want to buy the service contact (warranty) or not. If you decide to, I would buy only HC and from a discount online dealer. You have until 6k miles (or so many months?) to decide.

Dennis
  • Options
    wildsandpiperwildsandpiper Member Posts: 14
    Dennis,

Have you actually have a chance to use the EW? or you just bought it because you think you would need it? I've been wondering about weather I need EW for my 2007 Civic. Saccuci quoted me for about 656 (7years/100K) which is affordable to me, but my friends keep saying I would only need the major repair stuff after the car reach 100K or more...and if it's so, it seems to be a waste to spend money on something you'd never need...Is there any reason why they wouldn't offer the EW after 120K miles?
  • Options
    mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Is there any reason why they wouldn't offer the EW after 120K miles?

Because they'd lose money on it. Businesses don't like to lose money.
  • Options
    "Businesses don't like to lose money" - yes and neither do I :) This is the key for my debate about weather the EW is worth the investment. If they don't offer the EW after 120K, it probably means at this mileage level, the chance that a car can break down is a lot higher than when it's below 120K. If this is true, then EW is a high risk investment. Honda, especially those came out the last 2 years, are using high tech system, whose capability and reliability hasn't been cofirmed with time...The manufacture do know, though, how reliable their product is, so if they offer it only below 120K, then I think I might end up to still pay the cost for fixing major problems, yet couldn't use any of my EW...

Just a thought..
  • Options
    As our old friend Terry used to say...

BINGO! ;)

You've hit upon one of my favorite reasons to not buy a service contract.
  • Options
    atutuatutu Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have read lots of posts here and still can't figure out which way to go. Apparently HondaCare doesn't cover "wear and tear". WarrantyDirect does if I choose to buy "SecureCare Plus".
    However, Hondacare (~$740 for 7years/100k miles)is much cheaper than WarrantyDirect (~$1200 for 7 years/100k miles).
    Any suggestion? Thank you.
  • Options
    my suggestion is to ALWAYS go with the manufacturer's warranty rather than a 3rd-party.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    nbarraganbarraga Member Posts: 2
    I have an 01 honda accord that i have used my EW for and glad I got it. I have only used the EW twice and had no problem using it. I get my car serviced from the same dealer each time and when I have a problem with a covered part there is no hassle, they fix it and I pay the deductible.
    I just purchased a new 07 civic hybrid days ago and bought the dealer HC warranty but found a cheaper price online at Jays Honda in Ohio. I called the dealer to say I was cancelling the warranty to purchase it online at Jays Honda and they said they would match it. I'm driving in later today back to the dealer to redo the contract with the new lower price. I am paying $975 for 7 years/120K miles. I am getting it both for peace of mind and for the fear of the battery going which I hear is one of the biggest expenses on the hybrids. You have 6 months or 6000K miles to get the EW or pay somewhat higher prices thereafter.
  • Options
    skap2skap2 Member Posts: 34
    Hello, my first post on this forum.

I have locked in deal for new 07 Odyssey Touring/Nav, delivery in 2 weeks. All priced, only issue not discussed is extended warranty. I've searched web and forum, seems lowest prices for 7yr/100K should be in the $700 range. So for the extra 4 yrs or 64K miles, about $130/yr. Get it or not ?

On pricing, wanted to let everyone know that I hit about 8 dealers in DC area. Best one-time deal was 37K even OTD - couldn't do it b/c we had a tough trade-in (luxury car, high miles). That was last day of month, one-time deal. But in my experience if you push hard enough the Ody touring w/Nav can be had easily for 38K OTD tops, and should be in 37K range. On the deal I did close, negotiated my trade-in based on 38K OTD, including tire/road hazard protection - which I recommend since the PAX run-flat tires are about $200 to replace.

Thanks !!
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    On 12/17/06 I cancelled the EW on my honda. There was no loan on it. Can anyone give an idea how long it takes to get the refund. I went to the dealer and cancelled it in person.Willappreciate any answers before I call the dealer
  • Options
    hmmm... i can't remember exactly, but I something is telling me it took about 4 weeks to get our check.

• Options
    thanks for your reply. Actually I made a mistake on the date-it was 11/17/06. Is that enough time. Should I call the dealer or someone at Honda customer service.
  • Options
    roy2003roy2003 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Odyssey a little over a year ago. It now has slightly over 6000 miles on it. It looks like the cost of buying the Hondacares extended warranty goes up significantly after 6000 miles (for fewer years/miles than if purchased earlier) so now I'm kicking myself for not looking into this earlier. If I buy from an online discount dealer of Hondacares warranties, anyone know how they check how many miles I have on the car? Does the dealer have any discretion on selling the warranty at the "new" (less than 6000 miles) price vs. the "used" (over 6000) price? Could I, for example, convince them through service records that there is nothing wrong with the car and get them to sell me the new version (8 years/120,000 miles from delivery date) rather than a used version (which I am finding to be something like 5 years or 85,000 miles from date of purchase of warranty at about the same $1200 price). Anyone have any idea on this? Thanks.
  • Options
    I called the dealer and was told it takes 8-10 weeks to get a refund. I have had no problems with this dealer in the over 5 years (8 cars) so I trust their answer. I will patiently wait.
  • Options
    May I ask why you decided to cancel your HondaCare warranty? is it because you found something cheaper or just don't want it at all?
  • Options
    we no longer own the car. we sold it and now have a acura but did not buy the ew. the person that bought our car did not want the ew.
  • Options
    guodazhuguodazhu Member Posts: 8
    Hope this will help others if they want to buy a warranty from the dealer on ground.
    I bought a 06 Honda Pilot at Jim Coleman at MD last year. Everything was so smooth until we met the financial manager. He finally persuade me to buy a 7years/100,000miles warranty with GPR (guaranteed price refund). He said if we do not have any claim we would get a full refund when the policy expires or I can cancel that any time for a service fee of $50. The total cost is $1,650 with $100 deductible for each claim :mad: (I know a lot of you would laugh at me for such a high price.) Since I felt comfortable to cancel that with another 50 bucks, I was in. After I read all posts on this forum, I decided to cancel that. It was a long story and I got my money back several days ago. However, guess what? They charged me $180. They said it is the GPR option fee; it was nonrefundable. But they never mentioned this when I bought the policy. I read the policy carefully today and it was said " This contract may be canceled and the entire contract purchase price, less any options purchased, will be refunded..." I was trapped in this options although there is nowhere they mentioned GPR is an option for this policy. :mad:

Do you guys think I can file a BBB claim. I am fine with the money I should pay, but not those money I was cheated on.
  • Options
    skap2skap2 Member Posts: 34
    look up consumerprotection resources for MD on web. You can file complaint w/consumer protection bueau may have a different name in MD) and threaten small claims ct. No promises, but dealer probably does not want the hassle over $130.
  • Options
    did you get that info in writing. the reason i am asking is because when i bought the ew i was told i would get a full refund if i cancelled it within 30 days or after the policy expired and i did not put in any claims. otherwise it would be pro-rated. I would also have to pay a $50.00 service fee.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies! I got some email and it stated that the $180 is the GPR option fee, nowhere mentioned this on the contract I got.

Yes, I was told I would get a full refund if I canceled within 60 days or after the policy expired and I did not put in any claims. Otherwise, it would be pro-rated with additional $50 after 60 days.
  • Options
    could you please let me know how long did it take you to get the refund.
  • Options
    Canceled sometime in Oct and got the refund on Jan.5, 2007 :(
  • Options
    thanks for your quick reply-cancelled the ew on my honda 11/17 so I have somemore time to wait
  • Options
    theavidlearnertheavidlearner Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying extended warranty from HOnda care myself but wonders if any one heard any bad things from HOndacare?

Some previous posts mentioned that if the warranty was not used before one sells the car, there will be a prorated refund. Does any one know how do they calculate the prorated refund?
  • Options
    I am not exactly sure how they calculate the pro-rate. They deduct a certain amount from the total amount paid each mouth you have the e.w- the longer you have the warranty the less you will get if you cancel.If you decide to cancel you have to go thru the selling dealer and they usually charge a service fee. This information is for when you get the ew when you purchase the car- I not sure if this applies if you wait to get it
  • Options
    jdubs1017jdubs1017 Member Posts: 17
    Okay. I may have made a huge mistake...someone tell me please! I was offered the Complete Care from Universal Underwriters Group (now Zurich/huge company)for our new 07 Odyssey. It is a zero deductible, 96 month, 120k contract. It includes rental, towing, and trip interruption service. The cost is $1295. I do have to follow Honda's maintenance recommendations either through Honda or on my own with proof. They (of course) told me it is better than Honda Care!? I can also cancel within the first 60 days....any help?? I know I can get one similar for $850 but isn't it limited too!?
  • Options
    flseadanflseadan Member Posts: 10
    I also opted out of a 5/70 warrantee on the civic after signing up....Refund was sent in full within three weeks. I want an extended warrantee after 100.000 miles , they don't offer :)
  • Options
    did you cancel within the first 60 days- then you would get the full refund. I owned the car for 2 years when I cancelled so it will be pro-rated. The dealer has be wait to get the money from honda care and then send me the refund. It usually takes 8-10weeks
  • Options
    cosmocricketcosmocricket Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Honda CR-V and am looking to purchase an extended warranty. I've read through many of the posts at this site but it seems that these posts are geared towards the purchase of an extended warranty on a new vehicle. When I came here 2 years ago I thought I read that you could purchase an extended warranty up until the original manufacturer's warranty ran out but after reading today it appears that I should've purchased it back when I bought the vehicle new. Does anyone have any idea as to how much an extended Hondacare warranty for a vehicle with 21,000 miles would be? I've called many of the popular businesses listed in these posts (Sacucci, Bernardi, College Hills, etc) but have been passed to voicemail for everyone. Any guesses on approximate price would be helpful so I know what I'm looking at as far as how much I'll be spending. I'm kicking myself now for not buying one when I bought the car. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    wooza_bwooza_b Member Posts: 2
    Hello I recently purchased a 2007 Honda Pilot and was negotiating with finance on the extended warranty. Initially they offer $1800 for a 5 year plan 75K stating it was bumper to bumper. I passed on it and I'm trying to figure out does this honda care offer the same type of services and does anyone have a webite with prices for extended warranties?
  • Options
    rzgaryrzgary Member Posts: 3
    I purchased the Honda Care extended warranty when I bought my '01 CR-V for one main reason, the finance guy stated if the warranty was not used I would get a full refund once it expired. I figured Honda has a good product so even if I never used the warranty I would get the money back. Well the warranty is now expired and was never used so of course I want my money back. Has anyone ever been in this situation? I happened to stop by a Honda dealer (not the one I purchased the vehicle from) and the finance guy that had been working there for 2 years says he's never heard of this refund! I think he's full of it and didn't want to lift a finger to help since no money would be going into his pocket. I never let him know I used another dealer until right before I left and then he said "oh, you need to go back to your dealer because they must of had some promotional deal at that dealer only."

Anyone successfully received a refund on an unused Honda Care extended warranty?
  • Options
    cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    If you do not have this in writing do not waste your time any longer.... This guy long moved on or will deny he ever said such a thing and will call you a liar. To just believe such a fantastic deal borders on gullible. Did you ever consider requesting a refund for your car insurance or your home owners insurance once you sell the house or car and you never filed a claim? Write it off and make them write it down next time... :-)
  • Options
    read over your contract-it should state it in it. You will probably have to go to the selling dealer to get it cancelled. When I cancelled my EW I had to go the selling dealer which is in PA and I now live in NC. I had called the ew customer service # and they have a recording that tells you that
  • Options
    applecore323applecore323 Member Posts: 41
    Hi all,

I purchased a 2007 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder this weekend, as well as an 8year/120k extended warranty at the dealership. I paid $1400 for the extended warranty, and I did not realize until I did some research on the internet that I can probably get an extended warranty for much cheaper. The extended warranty I got at the dealership also appears to be a third party one; it is called "PSC Autoshield by First Extended Service Corporation."

After doing some research on the internet, I found a site that offered the Hondacare extended warranty for $940. The website is www.hondacareextendedwarranty.com. The site is operated by a dealership called Hyanni in Massaschusetts. I looked them up on Honda.com and they are a certified Honda dealer.

So, now I'm thinking of cancelling the extended warranty I bought at the dealership and getting the one on www.hondacareextendedwarranty.com. I was told that I could refund the warranty at no charge within the first 60 days. Would this be a good thing to do? I have a few questions:

-Would the Hondacare warranty be as good as the one I got at the dealership? It appears to be the same as the one I got at the dealership, or possibly even better, since it's through the manufacturer.
    -I am located in California and the site that I'm thinking of getting Hondacare from is operated by a dealership in MA. If I were to purchase Hondacare from the site, would my Hondacare warranty still be useable? Can I still get work done, if anything happens to my car, in California?

If I cancel the warranty I got at the dealership and get the one on the internet and everything works out, I'll save myself 460 bucks! What do you guys think? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

P.S. I paid about $20,450 for the car (including all fees except the extended warranty) out the door. Was this a good deal? The price of the car was $18,601 before the fees, and the base invoice price is $18145.
  • Options
    as hard as it to believe but it is true- you should be able to get a full refund minus the dealers service fee in the ew expires and is not used. It is written in the contract
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    When you enter the F&I Manager's office after deciding to buy a vehicle, be prepared for a hard sell. Yes, they are there to assist you with finding financing if you should need it, but their primary position, and task, is to maximize profits from the sale - it's another profit center within the dealership.

They will offer all kinds of dealer packs (paint sealant, etc.), but, first and foremost, the best profit margin product in the industry - the extended warranty. The F&I Manager's job is to maximize the profit for each sale. Remember, they're working for the dealership, and not your best interests.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    -I am located in California and the site that I'm thinking of getting Hondacare from is operated by a dealership in MA. If I were to purchase Hondacare from the site, would my Hondacare warranty still be useable? Can I still get work done, if anything happens to my car, in California?

..a/c:

..another CA guy here (near the capital) - - -

1. I bought a Honda Care EW from a New York Honda dealer
    2. No problema (as we tend to say on the left coast), they send it via special mail (certified/registered) - - - about 4 bucks worth of postal charges.

3. Price was $1300 (that's one thousand, three hundred) LESS than the dealer asked with a strait fez........

..best, ez..
  • Options
    -Would the Hondacare warranty be as good as the one I got at the dealership? It appears to be the same as the one I got at the dealership, or possibly even better, since it's through the manufacturer.
    The best Honda Care contract covers more than the best F.E.S.C. contract. For the F.E.S.C. contract, you must return to the selling dealer if you are within 40 miles, otherwise you must call F.E.S.C. and they will tell you where to take your vehicle for repair. With HondaCare, you can go to any Honda dealer.

If the contract price was in the car deal, your refund will go to the company financing your vehicle-it will pay off part of your loan, so be prepared to pay out-of-pocket for the HondaCare.
  • Options
    Okay. I may have made a huge mistake...someone tell me please! I was offered the Complete Care from Universal Underwriters Group (now Zurich/huge company)for our new 07 Odyssey. It is a zero deductible, 96 month, 120k contract. It includes rental, towing, and trip interruption service. The cost is $1295. I do have to follow Honda's maintenance recommendations either through Honda or on my own with proof. They (of course) told me it is better than Honda Care!? I can also cancel within the first 60 days....any help?? I know I can get one similar for $850 but isn't it limited too!?
  • Options
    if you have to bring your Honda (hopefully you will not have to) for warranty work (after the factory warranty expires) will that dealer honor that warranty or will you have to pay for the service, mail the bills to Universal and wait for a refund. If yes, than I would cancel that policy.
  • Options
    rzgaryrzgary Member Posts: 3
    As a matter of fact I do have it in writing. As for the guy I don't care where he is as long as Honda Care has not moved on I'm ok. I found my original warranty contract and a small pink sheet of paper with it called a "Service Contract Reimbursement Guarantee." On the sheet when originally signed for the warranty at the dealer there are two places under the "Rights and Protection" section. One place says something to the effect "I am entitled to reimbursement of purchase price if not used" and the next section says "I have no protection or benefits". On the back it spells it out very clearly in six steps what you need to do to get reimbursed:

1) Original owner
    2) No claims
    3) Vehicle Service Contractor confirms no claims
    4) Current registered owner providing copy of registration and proof of insurance.
    5) Must be submitted within 60 days of expiration.
    6) Upon receipt Issuing dealer or their Administrator has 45 days to make payment.

I called the 800 number on the bottom of the sheet and the gal on the phone said no problem, just provide the required documents and we'll take care of it. The point she stressed is it must be received in her office within 60 days of expiration. Most people might not apply in time and lose out on a chunk of change. Luckily mine just expired and paperwork goes in the mail today with a nice cover letter with contact information in case they need anything else.

Some times things sound too good to be true but 6 years after purchase, this program is still in place. This "Administrator" on behalf of the dealer is still in Colorado with the same phone number, they just moved a few blocks down the street and have a new mailing address. I'll post again if I have any problems or when I get the $$$.

Gary
  • Options
    No need to pay up front. Zero deductible and no out of pocket expenses. Is this a good program? Or did I get robbed! I have yet to hear back from anyone on Complete Care vs. Honda Care. Zurich is a huge financial company so it makes me feel a bit better!!! We shall see!!