Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• As I noted in my earlier post, my experience was buying an extended warranty through Warranty Direct for my used VW Passat, which took it to 4 years/100,000 total miles. If Honda Care extends the mileage for used cars, that is a great deal. I have a new Honda Civic and will be buying the Honda Care extended warranty online within the next few months. I'm at 700 miles right now. I'm thinking about the 120,000 mile/96 months option since I plan to keep the car a long time.

A few people have noted that you get a courtesy car if your's is in for maintenance or repair..? What if the dealer you bought your Honda from offers a different extended warranty? Do they still have to honor the Honda Car courtesy car option?
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    If they are a Honda dealer then they accept HondaCare and then you get a "rental car reimbursement". So the dealer could rent you a car and you pay them and then HC pays you back - or they could give you the car and HC pays them back - or you could have to rent something yourself from a cheapie rental place (Enterprise, etc) and get paid back by HC. So it MAY not be as simple as drop off your car and drive out in the loaner - but it could be, just depends on the dealer. Worst case you drop off the car and have to pay for your own rental and wait for HC to pay you back.

The limit is $35 per day for a maximum of 6 days or $210 for each covered repair and this includes waiting for parts.

The day limit (not waiting for parts) is based on the number of "book hours" that Honda says the repair should take.

This is the way it was last contract I read - when you apply for HC YOUR contract terms will be on the back of the application you have to sign and send back in (if buying online). Read all that fine print to make sure your policy has coverage you can live with.

Dennis
  • jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    Which is the cheapest --- Sacucci, Bernardi, another dealer?

Yes, they both usually have the same prices. Their web pages are

myhondawarranty.com and hondawarrantyinfo.com.

Sometimes they offer a deal like $25 off a Honda accessory from their parts department.
    What if the dealer you bought your Honda from offers a different extended warranty? Do they still have to honor the Honda Car courtesy car option?

Section 2B of this sample contract will give you an idea on how the rental car reimbursement works.

http://www.myhondawarranty.com/hondaSampleContract.pdf
  • Are these guys for real ? $350 compared to like $1050 for the same 5/60 locally?
    Are these guys for real ? $350 compared to like $1050 for the same 5/60 locally?

Yes, they're for real. It's the local dealers who see the extended warranty as just another way to line their pockets with profits.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The 5/60 isn't giving all that much coverage beyond the factory warranty to justify $1050. I can't believe anyone would pay it.
    At that price, you are correct :D .

Dennis
  • I just bought a 2008 Civic from my local dealer, feel I got a good price ($16,200) for the 5-speed manual LX, but got taken on the extended warranty, from what I've read here. It was my first time buying an extended, and they started out at $2200 for a 8/120, then went down to $1750, then bottom lined at $1500. I hadn't done any homework (except on the invoice of the car), and signed up. I'm just now seeing that I could have bought the warranty on-line for $890!!!!
    Oh well, live & learn....
    Just go back to the dealership (with the online price print outs in hand) and tell them you want to cancel the HC plan you purchased from them. You can cancel within 60 days of purchase and get a full refund (unless you have used any benefits of the plan since purchase). For the amount of savings it would be well worth your effort. If the dealer gives you a hard time, just call HC on their toll free and tell them you want to cancel and the dealer will not cooperate and they can get it taken care of - (800)999-5901 should be the number. Get something in writing that you have cancelled the plan "just in case" they "forget" to sent the paperwork in on time.

The only gotcha may be if you financed the plan with the car. If so, the refund will go back to the bank and not to you. In most cases they will apply the refund to the principle of the loan on the back end - so your payments will not go down but there will be fewer of them. If you did not finance the plan, then the full refund comes to you.

You can buy another plan online later at the reduced price, there is no rule that says you can't.

I said to take the print outs with you, since there is a chance that rather than make nothing on the plan they will offer to match the online price and give you a refund of the difference. If they do not, then cancel and re-buy online.

Dennis
  • Hi Dennis,

Thanks for all the info, my wife & I are not very good shoppers. I generally wouldn't have even considered the extended warranty, but some friends of ours bought one and it saved them some big money. We plan on driving this a long time, our '97 Civic stopped at about 240,000.
    Here's my deal.....we did finance, including the plan....sigh....but we plan on tripling the amount of our payments (adding the extra to the principal), and paying it off in about a year and a half. Given what you said about the refund going to the bank, do you think it's still worth it to challenge them? I guess anything would help, but I'm not super confrontational!

Thanks for all your advice,

Gary
    Given what you said about the refund going to the bank, do you think it's still worth it to challenge them? I guess anything would help, but I'm not super confrontational!

Well if you're paying off the loan soon anyway, just consider it an extra $1,500 payment that will help pay off the loan faster.

It's not a matter of confrontation. You have the legal right to cancel which is stated in the documents. I think you might be able to call Honda Care directly and not go to the dealership.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Definitely cancel it and purchase it from the other dealer. That's a nice chunk of change to just "give away"! Try the dealer first to see if they'll price match but if not...do what needs to be done.
    Not a person who likes controversy myself, but when I feel like I've been taken badly, I do fight back.

The Sandman :)
    I agree 100% - it is your money and you should get it back (one way or the other). If you let me handle it for you, I will only keep half the savings :D . Just kidding.

As was said, no need to be nasty or confrontational about it - just tell them you want to cancel the plan and see what they say. Written right into the contract is the 60 days 100% refund policy so it is not like you are asking for some favor or something.

If you just purchased then RUN to the dealership to try to catch them before they send off the paperwork and the loan funds - if you catch them in time your payments would be less. If the paperwork has been sent in to HC, you may have to wait until they get it before you can cancel. If that is the case be sure to keep on top of that and "get 'er done" before the 60 days is up.

Dennis
  • I was just reading the "fine print" on the paperwork from HondaCare, and it states the 60 day cancellation policy (in NY, where I live, it's actually 30 days and then a 10% penalty).
    However....it also states that "If canceled, coverage cannot be reinstated".

So I'm going to ask them to refund the $635 difference, and if they won't I'll just cancel. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to get the extended warranty again, but I'll take my chances, it's the point that they're trying to just pocket $600 for themselves!
  • Well, I just called HondaCare, and they said that the clause concerning reinstatement refers to after the 60 day grace period. I can cancel and join as many times as I want in the first 60 days, so I'm all set!
    Thank you guys for all your valuable insight, I never would have been aware of this.
  • It's frustrating the way a majority of the dealers mark these warranties up. My dealer said normally 1200.00 but 900 today only the day you buy the car.

Well I had read here and on other forum boards, and bought for about 25% of their 1200 price and a third of the 900

AAA is $57 a year x 5 years =$285
    I didnt pay much for it and got the exra warranty along with roadside assistance

Greed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If canceled, coverage cannot be reinstated".

Dealers use that line in the contract (either out of ignorance or greed) to try to keep folks from cancelling their over-price HC plans. Taken out of context it would make you think that if you cancel their expensive plan then you can't buy a discount HC plan later. That is not true (as you found out when you called HC). It just means that if you cancel "this plan" then you can't re-instate "this plan" later.

So the only danger would be if your car was at the end of warranty and you overpaid, then you cancel and try to re-buy at a discount only to find that while you were doing this your warranty expired and you can't buy at a discount - nor can you get the old cancelled plan back.

Sort of the same thing if you waited until 6k miles on a new Honda, if you didn't re-buy before you hit 6k then your choices are limited and the prices go up.

Glad we could help, do something nice annd fun with that extra money when you get it :D .

Dennis
  • I bought two warranties, one for a friend 07ex and one for my new 08civic ex
    on line at http://www.myhondawarranty.com/. The dealer is saucucci honda in Rhode Island. 8/120000 zero deductible was 890.00 By far the cheapest honda care one the web. My dealer tried to sell me a 7/10000 for 1300.
    Striaght forward purchase on line, sent me the paperwork right away and I verified it with my Honda service dept as it showed the 8/120000 warranty on my car on the honda database,
  • Did 8/120000 show up in their checkout page? I am only getting 60 months/84K as their highest option. My car is 05 though...
    Once your car has more than 6k miles on it your options are limited.

Dennis
    Yes, as Dennis said the options change after 6,000 miles. After that, Honda considers it a pre-owned vehicle even if you are the original owner.

However the good news for you is that the 60 month/84K would begin on the date you buy the extended warranty. In other words you get an ADDITIONAL 60 month and 84K miles of coverage.

According to http://www.myhondawarranty.com/faq.php

"Coverage for a pre-owned plan(vehicles over 6,000 miles) begins on the service contract purchase date, and at the mileage on the odometer on that date."

So in theory if you bought near the end of your factory warranty you can still get close to the 8 year 120K of total coverage . (Factory warranty 3 yr/36K plus extended 5 yr 84K. )

Just make sure you buy before your factory warranty expires.
  • saraksarak Posts: 1
    HI All,

I just recently bought an '06 civic at 30k. i originally purchased the extended warranty from the dealership, however it was a GM warranty.

I know that i can cancel the warranty within 60 days and get my money.

Now i am doing the research to find the best deal out there. I even called the honda dealer by my house and he told me that if i was able to get a warranty by one of the dealers online from back east, to go for it now because they are the same thing...and they wont be able to offer them much longer.

right now it looks like Saccucci (sp??) is one of the better priced, but just wondering if any of you have had any experience with them...are they really legit?? The guy at the honda dealership out here said that as long as it was factory based warranty, i should be ok.... thoughts??

The reason i am so concerned is i did a ton of research on the Accord, and planned to get an '04 accord, but then after about 6 lots and 4 private sellers, i ended up getting a '06 civic .. and am realizing i did not get quite the deal i thought i was getting :( so much for the close to 40 hours research i did ... sigh...

Also, anyone have experience with Civic vs Accord depreciation??

Thanks so much for your time!
  • On the main edmunds.com website, you can do a comparison of vehicles and there's a section for total cost of ownership which factors in the 5-year depreciation. I compared the Civic to several other similar models, and bought it based on the comparisons. I bought an 08 and am very happy with it. The Accords were more than I wanted to spend and the gas mileage on the Civics is better. The Civic also handles better than my mom's Toyota Camry (2004?).
    Folks here have purchased HondaCare from both Bernardi and Saccucci with good results - and lots of money saved. Both are franchised Honda dealers and sell the same HC any other Honda dealer sells - just for a lot less than most of them. I personally have purchased from Bernardi (3yrs ago Saccucci was not selling cheap via the Internet).

I would cancel the GM plan and buy a HC plan online. If the GM plan cost you a lot more (and you don't say) and has a 60 day cancel for full refund (like HC does), then I would get it cancelled.

The 06 was the first year of the redesign on the Civic as as such it should have a strong resale value (all Accords and Civics do). The only downside is that the first year cars will be more trouble prone than later model years. My daughter got an EX Civic sedan last year, but her car was produced in Aug of 06 so was at the end of the 06 production run.

NEW (before the 08 Accord redesign) you about buy an Accord for the same as a comparable Civic. Honda just had more incentives on them to move them out. So you got worse MPGs but better results and more room. As the Civic is getting farther from the 06 re-do and the Accord is all new for 08 the deals are better (NEW) on the Civic now.

Enjoy your new car, it is a Honda so you probably will be OK in any case :D

Dennis
  • nkvnkv Posts: 20
    I have tried to get a cheaper Honda care Warranty through web but living in Florida I can't do it. I am wondering if any Fl resident has been able to get a great price for their warranty and from where and how! Any details of their transactions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    You have to order in your name, but use an address not in FL. That would pose a problem for most folks unless they have a summer home elsewhere.

Dennis
  • Is Honda Care waranty really required? I bought an 07 Odyssey in san diego yesterday but I didn't buy the warranty from the dealer. Can I buy it anywhere for a cheaper price? The charge is $2000 for 8/120000. Any feedbacks helpful. Thanks.
    I bought an 07 Odyssey in san diego yesterday but I didn't buy the warranty from the dealer. Can I buy it anywhere for a cheaper price?

Sure just go to myhondawarranty.com or hondawarrantyinfo.com and you should get a price that is much less than $2,000.
  • You can get it much cheaper online, just search for Honda Care. You may want to make sure that you are getting the Honda Care cause there are third party warranties out there too. Do you really need it? I guess it depends on whether the car breaks right after manufacturer warranty expires. Your car is considered "new" until 6000 miles so you should be getting good rates definitely less than 1K online.