Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Renault R5 Revisited

Comments

• You'll pardon me, I'm sure, because you seem to be a very nice calm person, but the idea of
    "collecting" R5s makes me want to smile. "Collecting" in the back yard seems more suitable.

However, all kidding aside, the R5 was fun to drive and an efficiently designed package. But under no circumstance should an automaker allow their customers to take on the role of the R&D department. If a Renault can't hold a head gasket in the US, and it seems like few of them could, then the car is surely at fault for this.

But I agree with you, things like parts distribution and lack of service facilities are not the car's fault, even though they contribute to the car's downfall and bad reputation.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,358
    Some people will collect anything!

Now, I firmly believe this!
  • prlamzprlamz Posts: 78
    You are yet again postulating without knowing dear sir. I didn't write that the guy collected R5s, I just said he was a collector. He's interested in European daily drivers, not in sports cars.

You also have the tendency to be very US-centric, he you forgive the expression. The R5 was sold pretty much worldwide, including, nearby, in Mexico. When it was introduced in the US, in 1975, the car already had several production years below its bumpers. Renault sold it here because it was its best selling model. By then R&D had long been over.
  • I'm not sure I understand the distinction, sorry.

My point was that calling himself a "collector" seemed rather pretentious in the case of such a car as the R5. It just struck me as odd since I am used to the term being used as in "collecting fine things", that is, a connoiseur of something.

But in reality that is true, one can "collect" whatever one wishes--Hummels, leaves, marbles, manhole covers etc. Like Isell says, "one can collect anything". I stand corrected!

The LeCar did make the "Ten Worst Cars of the Milennium" List on a popular write-in vote-- but didn't win, so that's something: the Yugo took top honors.

http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Worst-Cars/
    I have a lot of respect for Tom & Ray, and try to listen to their show when I can. What does a list established by a comedy show prove?
    I guess that no matter how bad a car, someone will like them.

Personally, I can't think of too many worse cars, but that's only my opinion.

What could be worse than a Renault? Yugos? Lancias?
  • It's not Tom and RAy that "proved" anything. This was a survey.

Anyway, I like Renaults. I even have a pair of genuine Dauphine cufflinks, which I may sell on Ebay once the Dauphine market picks up...maybe around the year 2050 or so.
    To me this forum is a place where knowledge can be exchanged. I have learned a lot here, and it greatly helped me buy my current car. Silly, misinformed comments do not further anything. The reason I restarted this post is because it, as well as it predecessor, was full of errors and miss informations.

The next time you buy a used car for $400 and put over 100,000 miles on it (only one major repair: head gasket on original engine at about 145,0000), before reselling it, then please tell me about it.
    Were meant to be tongue in cheek...however...

You have had incredible luck with a car that wasn't known for reliability.

My point was...and I probably did a poor job of stating it is, no matter how bad a car's reputation, some people will still like these cars and will somehow avoid the normal problems associated with them.

Kinda like walking in a rainstorm and not getting wet.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Do you still remember the Alliance/Encore line? What did you make of those cars when they were new?
  • Point well taken, but did it occur to you WHY you got this car for $400? Because nobody else wanted it.

Which is great, if you have the skills and patience to keep an R5 going. Most people are greatly disappointed when they buy an R5. You can't see that much "flak" about a car without something behind it that's true...where there's smoke, there's an R5.

I buy cars all the time that nobody else wants or can't fix. I've owned just about every "bad" car you can name and gotten good service out of it. How many people you know drove an MGB cross-country without a "burp"?. But I have access to parts and information, a lift, and a very large toolbox. I didn't "avoid" the problems with these bad cars, I anticipated them and/or fixed them.

I almost bought an R5 about two years ago for $200 for use as a "dock car" but it got towed away by the city of San Francisco same day I came to pick it up, and between the towing charges and parking tickets owed on it, it wasn't worth the $525 to me.

One problem is that most surviving R5s are beaters.

If you found a low mileage well-maintained R5, you might have a chance. I'd buy one if I saw a car like that and it was cheap.

But quite frankly, if you encourage people to buy R5s on the premise that they are really great, trouble-free cars and that their reputation is spurious, I think you would be doing people a bad turn, IMO.
    I absolutely would not advise anyone to buy one now, quite to the contrary. Parts are truly impossible to get, even exhaust pipes. The few surviving ones are on their last leg.

What I said is that through the 80s and early 90s you could find one for very little money and get a reliable daily driver if you care to maintain it. My brother-in-law, before I knew him, did just that.
  • Well fair enough then!
    Great, listen to this: There's a 1987 Renault Alliance two-door for sale on Ebay with, believe it or not, 2,400 original miles. I don't know what it looks like, since there are no pictures of the vehicle. But the ad says that it was owned by an elderly man since it was new. This is something strange and rare: A Renault with 2,400 miles. Now who's going to buy something like this?
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    but I did think they had a rather utilitarian,pleasing squareness to them. Of course,they were no LeCar....
    I saw the ad on e-bay. That car is probably in dire need of work. A lot of things must have dried up, and are either leaking or waiting to do so at the first chance. Parts availability is also likely to be an issue.
  • martianmartian Posts: 220
    I mean, France is a major indutrial country-they were pioneers in automotive engineering, and many innovations came from Renault, Peugeot, Citroen. Why did they blow it so bad in the USA? I know, maybe their parts distribution was deficient-but why were these cars so despised?
    Because they were strange, crappy, troublesome, weird cars that few mechanics would work on.

This comes from a guy (me) that owned two Peugeots!
    What kind of Peugeots did you have? I bet you had all sorts of quirks to deal with!
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,681
    "The French don't copy anybody, and nobody copies the French".
This discussion has been closed.